Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

CommieGIR posted:

Its probably static
I figured it 99.9% it would be static but thought I should ask because I also thought no way in hell would a flying vulcan ever happen privately.So I try not to assume anymore :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
I got some pictures of a cut-away 4360 a couple months ago, guess I should finally post it.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

MeatloafCat posted:

I got some pictures of a cut-away 4360 a couple months ago, guess I should finally post it.

Is that at Chanute?

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
It's from Owls Head Transportation Museum just outside Rockland Maine. Not a very big place but lots of interesting old cars.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Its probably static, I thought that B-36 was actually reassembled from the carcasses of multiple B-36s

Pima actually has the last B-36 ever built on display, and I believe there are only a few parts that aren't original to it.

The aircraft was originally displayed in Texas, but a combination of climate and lack of upkeep meant that it had decayed pretty badly and the museum there couldn't raise the money to properly restore and display the B-36. As a result, the USAF museum (who technically own the airplane) decided that the Pima museum did have the resources to fix up the B-36, so it was disassembled and trucked to the museum in 2005, and it went on display in 2009 after around 24,000 hours of restoration work.

Because the climate in Tucson is so arid, metal aircraft don't really decay when they're stored outside, and as long as the windows are covered to keep the interiors from being destroyed by the sun, all that's needed is new paint after 10 or 15 years when the sun bleaches the old paint somewhat.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrYenko posted:

A flying B-36 is an unobtanium dream of mine. Just think of the heritage flybys: B-17, B-24, B-29, B-36, B-47 (another dream of mine, and possibly slightly more feasible,) B-52, B-1, and a B-2, all in one (gigantic, obnoxiously loud,) formation.

Back in reality, just getting one R4360 in running order is a not-insignificant achievement. Six of them, plus four J47s would just be an incredible undertaking. And that's just the power-plants, to speak nothing of the complexity of the rest of the aircraft.

This is my understanding as well: that the B-36 had about as many parts and be as hard to maintain as the equivalent weight of Swiss watches.

Kind of surprised there's no flying B-47, though.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Nebakenezzer posted:

This is my understanding as well: that the B-36 had about as many parts and be as hard to maintain as the equivalent weight of Swiss watches.

Kind of surprised there's no flying B-47, though.

There are no flying B-47s because a) Arms limitation treaties and b)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cIgTAtj4E4&t=740s
(Actually watch that whole video, if you want to see a wobbly old bomber flown like a fighter :stare:)

When the B-47 was retired, the entire fleet was beat to absolute hell because of toss-bombing - tons of them had cracks in the wing spars and a number were lost in inflight break-ups.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 22, 2013

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

MrYenko posted:

A flying B-36 is an unobtanium dream of mine. Just think of the heritage flybys: B-17, B-24, B-29, B-36, B-47 (another dream of mine, and possibly slightly more feasible,) B-52, B-1, and a B-2, all in one (gigantic, obnoxiously loud,) formation.

As long as we're doing fantasy display this needs to be followed by a low-altitude transonic B-58 flyby.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

No B70 in these fantasties? drat.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

slidebite posted:

No B70 in these fantasties? drat.

That's no bomber, that is three heavy interceptors flying close formation!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

My favorite fact about the XB-70 is that the most important development to come out of it is the F-15.

block51
Jun 18, 2002

Ghetto? Yes, But I still shop there.

Jonny Nox posted:

My favorite fact about the XB-70 is that the most important development to come out of it is the F-15.

As in XB-70 --> MIG-25 --> F-15? It is kind of a funny situation that the F-15 was developed because someone / organization didn't understand what the MIG-25 was for.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

block51 posted:

As in XB-70 --> MIG-25 --> F-15? It is kind of a funny situation that the F-15 was developed because someone / organization didn't understand what the MIG-25 was for.

Exactly, although the Soviets looking at the XB-70 and thinking that it was something that was going into production is only a little less questionable.

So the mother of invention is completely overestimating the engineering abilities of your enemy.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
drat it, why dont they make cool planes anymore. gently caress drones. :(

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Preoptopus posted:

drat it, why dont they make cool planes anymore. gently caress drones. :(

Because we've reached the point where cool planes cost more than their weight in gold :(

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
On paper, the F-35 -is- a cool plane.

Just not so much in practice.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Because we've reached the point where cool planes cost more than their weight in gold :(
A solid gold F-35 would cost about $60 billion :eng101:

So, the F-35 program would only be able to buy, like, 5 of them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

grover posted:

You could also do the Apollo Space Program 3x over for that cost :eng101:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

CommieGIR posted:

You could also do the Apollo Space Program 3x over for that cost :eng101:

I'd much rather we do that.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

moon base :circlefap:

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

grover posted:

:confused:

1333($/oz) x 32.15(oz/kg) x 13,500(kg) = ~$520M = ~3.8x an Aluminium/CF one

I think you don't comprehend how retardedly overpriced the F35 program is... Yes, to a reasonable approximation, they almost DO cost their weight in solid gold.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 23, 2013

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Maybe instead of buying bulk gold, Grover is buying commemorative Glenn Beck coins at retail then melting them.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Captain Postal posted:

:confused:

1333($/oz) x 32.15(oz/kg) x 13,500(kg) = ~$520M = ~3.8x an Aluminium/CF one

I think you don't comprehend how retardedly overpriced the F35 program is... Yes, to a reasonable approximation, they almost DO cost their weight in solid gold.
29300lbs = 427291 troy oz

$1333/oz x 427291oz = $570M. Must have missed a decimal point in there :/

Actually, scales for most other modern aircraft. Gold Gripen would be $245M. Eurofighter $471M. Super Tacano $137M. It's not an F-35 problem; modern aircraft are just really expensive.

grover fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 24, 2013

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
I think that (real price)/(gold price) could be a new and interesting metric to measure aircraft procurement by.

I made a graph:

My conclusions:
1) The B1 was the pinnacle of aircraft development - production aircraft only (confirms what we already knew)

2) In about 2050, we will no-poo poo hit the "costs its weight in gold threshold", and there will be no going back.

3) There is a VERY good reason why military aircraft procurement is down massively in the last few years, and civil aircraft procurement is on the way up. Get a job at Boeing/Airbus, not Lock-Mart.

4) gently caress stealth.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 24, 2013

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Captain Postal posted:

I think that (real price)/(gold price) could be a new and interesting metric to measure aircraft procurement by.

I made a graph:

My conclusions:
1) The B1 was the pinnacle of aircraft development - production aircraft only (confirms what we already knew)

2) In about 2050, we will no-poo poo hit the "cost's its weight in gold threshold", and there will be no going back.

3) There is a VERY good reason why military aircraft procurement is down massively in the last few years, and civil aircraft procurement is on the way up. Get a job at Boeing/Airbus, not Lock-Mart.

Is this using the date-appropriate price of gold?

I know I think I read B-70 program cost it's weight in gold (1964) per aircraft reported as a true thing, not as hyperbole. Of course program cost divided by two probably helps.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
It's using today's gold price and the fly-away price at introduction adjusted for inflation to todays US$

I left the XB-70 off because a) It's got an X, b) it'd blow the chart away due to low production runs and c) I won't stand any criticism of the XB-70 :colbert:

And remember, 10 years ago the price of gold was ~$300, not $1300, so I suspect many of the later gen production aircraft would approach the magic threshold using that metric. That'd be interesting to analyse itself, but I've got to go give a class.

But that is a surprisingly neat trend line there if you drop the commercials and pure stealths. I love finding random sets of things that all follow the same pattern

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 24, 2013

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Captain Postal posted:

But, but - you can design the stealth in at no added cost now!

Also, I want to see an airline skip their A380 order and just put in for the equivalent weight's worth of F4s. I know I won't be seated next to my wife but I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Advent Horizon posted:

But, but - you can design the stealth in at no added cost now!

Also, I want to see an airline skip their A380 order and just put in for the equivalent weight's worth of F4s. I know I won't be seated next to my wife but I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

"I may be going to Atlanta for the umpteenth time to make a connection, but I'm going there on a towering pillar of smoke and noise."

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
http://www.galvestondailynews.com/free/article_81fa2d94-3c0f-11e3-b8a4-0019bb30f31a.html

Galveston Gal, the P-51D at the Lone Star Flight Museum, crashed yesterday. Both the pilot and passenger were killed.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

"I may be going to Atlanta for the umpteenth time to make a connection, but I'm going there on a towering pillar of smoke and noise."

Delta still flies tons of MD-90s out of ATL.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

PhotoKirk posted:

http://www.galvestondailynews.com/free/article_81fa2d94-3c0f-11e3-b8a4-0019bb30f31a.html

Galveston Gal, the P-51D at the Lone Star Flight Museum, crashed yesterday. Both the pilot and passenger were killed.

gently caress :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Probably not interesting to most, but just another AC piss off.

Air Canada throws a tantrum and says "Oh yeah?" to Edmonton Intl Airport authority.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/air-canada-dropped-london-flight-over-spat-with-edmonton-airport-1.2223651

quote:

Air Canada suspended its direct flight to London's Hearthrow Airport after the Edmonton International Airport Authority promoted Icelandair's direct flight to Reykjavik.

"Your recent announcement that Icelandair, with some financial and other support from YEG [Edmonton's airport], will be commencing service between YEG and Reykjavik Airport (KEF) gave us cause to revisit our YEG international operations," Derek Vanstone, vice-president of corporate strategy, wrote to Reg Milley, EIAA president and CEO.

"This is not a decision that we are taking lightly, but it is one that reflects our profound disappointment in the manner which this has been handled," Vanstone continues.

"We were specifically very disappointed with your comments reported in the Edmonton Journal, which promoted the Icelandair service at the expense of Air Canada's LHR service, alleging that LHR — one of the great gateways to the world, with connections not only to Europe but also to the Middle and Far East, Africa and the Indian subcontinent — was inconvenient and a poor substitute for KEF.

"Frankly, we expect more from our partners."

When Air Canada announced earlier this month it was suspending the weekly flight from January through March, spokeswoman Angela Mah only mentioned the challenge of keeping the route profitable during the winter months.

The announcement angered the city's business community.

I remember when I lived up north YEG authority advertising the hell out of Air Canadas direct routes out of Edmonton, and now they dare advertise a Westjet code-share from YEG-YYZ-Iceland and they're all pissed off.

:reject:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
That seems a bit petty. "Oh, promoting a flight that isn't ours are we?"

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

slidebite posted:

Probably not interesting to most, but just another AC piss off.

Air Canada throws a tantrum and says "Oh yeah?" to Edmonton Intl Airport authority.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/air-canada-dropped-london-flight-over-spat-with-edmonton-airport-1.2223651

I remember when I lived up north YEG authority advertising the hell out of Air Canadas direct routes out of Edmonton, and now they dare advertise a Westjet code-share from YEG-YYZ-Iceland and they're all pissed off.

:reject:

It's actually "promoting a flight that's YEG-KEF-XXX" It's extremely petty. Defenders say they were dropping the route because it was a dog and making a fake stand. I have the enplanement data and the average fare data that- well- contradicts that!

YEG-KEF keeps getting its frequency upped and start-date pushed up.

There is actually a market for both a 767 a day to LHR and a 757 to KEF. There are enough seats O&D to LHR from YEG as well as to onward European and African/Asian stations.

The best part is that AC is actually putting their current slots that are used for YEG-LHR at risk of "use it or lose it" confiscation with no compensation. All in the name of spite!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Son delta still flies a ton of DC-9-51s out of ATL

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Powercube posted:

It's actually "promoting a flight that's YEG-KEF-XXX" It's extremely petty. Defenders say they were dropping the route because it was a dog and making a fake stand. I have the enplanement data and the average fare data that- well- contradicts that!

YEG-KEF keeps getting its frequency upped and start-date pushed up.

There is actually a market for both a 767 a day to LHR and a 757 to KEF. There are enough seats O&D to LHR from YEG as well as to onward European and African/Asian stations.

The best part is that AC is actually putting their current slots that are used for YEG-LHR at risk of "use it or lose it" confiscation with no compensation. All in the name of spite!

If ever there was a company that would cut off its nose to spite its face, it's AC.
That being said, I think what's being asserted is not just simply that YEG is promoting a different connection route to Europe, more that they're assisting it's promotion with unfair financial assistance. Obviously the airport authority is going to promote its routes so that it gets more revenue through the door. But if they're doing something like Air Canada pays $$$ landing fees on their LHR route, and in a special deal IcelandAir pays $ landing fees for its KEF route, you can see why AC is taking its ball and going home.
What's going to be stupid as hell is if it spirals into a petty tit-for-tat battle where YEG tells AC if it's going to be like that, it can't fly any more Newfies in to work the tar sands, etc etc and everybody loses.
If it's like I think, just a financial thing, AC is just using boneheaded negotiation tactics to get the same deal IcelandAir is getting on landing fees or whatever. A similar sort of thing happened with Porter and Toronto Island Airport.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

And it looks like I've got a flight on one of them in June.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I worked on a project a few years ago, the intent of which was to turn one of these into an optionally-piloted vehicle. I was handed a whole pile of off-the-shelf stuff (with a Cloud Cap Piccolo II as the brain for autonomous flight) and told, "See if you can make this work."

I got as far as actually getting all of the flight control surfaces to respond to radio control, but then the client ran out of money and took his airplane back. :(

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

n0tqu1tesane posted:

And it looks like I've got a flight on one of them in June.

MD-90s are fine, but if you get a DC-9-50 don't sit in the exit row unless you like obnoxious high pitched sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Sit in 7D (starboard aisle seat, one row back from the exit row) on the DC-9-50 and you'll have as much legroom as you might ever need.

Relatedly: I miss being near a Delta hub. What I get now is UA and two parallel runways technically not far enough apart.

Oh and Virgin I guess. (CHORTLES.)

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 25, 2013