Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not sure that this is the right thread for this, but I figure somebody here might be able to help me.
I am looking for a PCI-E sound card to use with with my AD900x's. The onboard sound on my motherboard is fairly dreadful, and makes these headphones sound noticeably worse when compared even to just listening to them off my phone. I have been leaning towards the Sound Blaster Zx, as I have heard good things about the sound quality (once the default bass boosting EQ is disabled) and the "Audio control unit" is something that I would actually find useful (the inbuilt mic is useful as well so I can stop using my old headset as a ghetto desk mic). My budget is about $200 AUD, but that is fairly malleable if there is a better option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Are you willing to go USB, or does your existing sound card have a digital output? That opens up a lot of good options.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I am not really interested in going USB, as I have no backpanel USB unoccupied. My motherboard does have optical out, but I am mostly unfamiliar with that route.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BurritoJustice posted:

I am not really interested in going USB, as I have no backpanel USB unoccupied. My motherboard does have optical out, but I am mostly unfamiliar with that route.

The reason people are asking about USB-out is because it sounds like an external DAC/Amp combo might be better/easier for your needs than buying a new soundcard. Something like Midorka's Schiit Magni/Modi stack would run you about $200 USD.

There are optical options that should work the same as USB ones for the same cost (or even much less), assuming that the output from your motherboard is good.

Replace the Modi DAC with an optical (and much much cheaper) FiiO D3 (edit: make sure it's the newest D03k "Taishan" version, which apparently doesn't have any of the problems the older versions had) and run it to the Magni, and you should have quite a solid and attractive little setup.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 21, 2013

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I love my Koss Porta Pros that I've had for years but I want iPhone controls. I am debating on buying a new pair of Porta Pros which have the controls but before I do I would like to ask you kind souls if there are any other headphones in the ~$100 range you would recommend before I make this purchase.

I mainly use them for commuting and listen to Hip hop/electronic music or watch TV shows. Thanks :)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Does anyone have any recommendations for a short 3.5mm headphone plug extender/adapter that'll let me use plugs thicker than the one on Apple's EarPods (basically everything) without forcing me to remove my iPhone bumper case?

I've seen a bunch of cheap ones on Amazon but the reviews have all been disconcertingly mixed-to-negative.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
Bought the griffin one a while back and it broke in a few months of moderate use...avoid it.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The reason people are asking about USB-out is because it sounds like an external DAC/Amp combo might be better/easier for your needs than buying a new soundcard. Something like Midorka's Schiit Magni/Modi stack would run you about $200 USD.

There are optical options that should work the same as USB ones for the same cost (or even much less), assuming that the output from your motherboard is good.

Replace the Modi DAC with an optical (and much much cheaper) FiiO D3 (edit: make sure it's the newest D03k "Taishan" version, which apparently doesn't have any of the problems the older versions had) and run it to the Magni, and you should have quite a solid and attractive little setup.
I'll definately look into it. I should be able to get USB space to connect the stack, so the only real remaining qualm I have with the stack is the desk space required and that I need to move it separately from the computer. This is why I was initially looking at an internal option for the convenience of it being contained. If I do go with the stack, can anybody recommend a desk mic similar to the one that is with the Sound Blaster Zx? I am more looking for a mic that doesn't need to sit directly infront of me, and can instead sit a near my monitor and hear my voice clearly from there.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Even something like the fiio e10 could be sufficient.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Midorka posted:

If you're in no rush the a-JAYS Five will be out soon, I'd expect by Christmas.

@losoall, the Sennheiser HD25-1 II seems like they might be for you.

They seem pretty good. Is there a bluetooth option in this price range, or does that require too much sound quality sacrifice?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

rapeface posted:

They seem pretty good. Is there a bluetooth option in this price range, or does that require too much sound quality sacrifice?

There's the Jaybirds I've heard are decent, but bluetooth is going to really hamper the sound-quality ratio.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
I got the Creative Aurvana Live! headphones a few months ago after a recommendation from this thread and while I really enjoyed them, it appears something is starting to go wrong with them now. When I'm walking around and listening to music on my phone (in my pocket) sometimes the sound will go out in the left ear and then come back. I'd guess this means it's a problem with the cable? Is it feasible to replace the cable or something or should I just get new headphones?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Previous Jesus posted:

I got the Creative Aurvana Live! headphones a few months ago after a recommendation from this thread and while I really enjoyed them, it appears something is starting to go wrong with them now. When I'm walking around and listening to music on my phone (in my pocket) sometimes the sound will go out in the left ear and then come back. I'd guess this means it's a problem with the cable? Is it feasible to replace the cable or something or should I just get new headphones?

Do you know anyone handy with a soldering iron? It's not terribly difficult with parts from Radioshack, and I think soldering is a good skill to have, but I can't say whether its worth your time.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

eddiewalker posted:

Do you know anyone handy with a soldering iron? It's not terribly difficult with parts from Radioshack, and I think soldering is a good skill to have, but I can't say whether its worth your time.

Umm, probably? I've done a little bit of soldering for a high school physics project but I think my grandpa and one of my brother's friends are actually competent at it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If you want to fix them, the break is most likely near the connector. You could try to pinpoint it, and chop off the connector right before the break, then solder on another. The problem there is that these small cables use enameled wire instead of plastic insulation. The enamel has to be melted off before it can be soldered to, and that can be tricky.

If you want to replace the whole cable, disassemble the ear cups and solder new wire directly to the drivers. There are lots of how-tos on recabling headphones. Best results are with 4-conductor microphone cable, which may be difficult to source locally.

Hey, they're already broken. Why not try?

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
How would one pinpoint the break in the cable?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Try bending it through your fingers until the problem happens.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Enamel wire doesn't need to be melted, it can be gently scraped with sandpaper or a razor blade then wiped clean with a tissue. The heat from the soldering iron will melt away the stray enamel bits you miss.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
That's what I figured, but I just did that and the sound didn't falter at all. I've only noticed the sound messing up with my phone (I have my headphones plugged into my computer at the moment), is it possible that the problem is with the phone's headphone jack somehow? I assumed I was just noticing it with my phone because it's the only thing I use my headphones with while I'm moving.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Previous Jesus posted:

That's what I figured, but I just did that and the sound didn't falter at all. I've only noticed the sound messing up with my phone (I have my headphones plugged into my computer at the moment), is it possible that the problem is with the phone's headphone jack somehow? I assumed I was just noticing it with my phone because it's the only thing I use my headphones with while I'm moving.

It's possible a bit of dust got in to the headphone jack and is screwing up the connection on an intermittent basis. You can try cleaning it out with a blower brush or a q-tip dipped in a bit of alcohol (a very small amount, though).

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

grack posted:

It's possible a bit of dust got in to the headphone jack and is screwing up the connection on an intermittent basis. You can try cleaning it out with a q-tip dipped in a bit of alcohol (a very small amount, though).

I tried this and it seems to have worked! Thanks a ton!

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Welp, I sold some crap I hadn't gotten around to getting rid of and found a deal on like-new HD 800s from a trusted seller for about a grand. I love a good impulse buy so let's see what the trip report looks like!

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
My cheap, lovely IEMs finally died so I need something new.
Budget - around 100$
Source - my Nexus 4 and sometimes Nexus 7
Preferred type - IEM
I mostly listen to metal and rock. My past headphones have been cheap crap and I don't really remember any names. I considered the Jays Five headphones but as it turns out the N4 doesn't have support for 3-button remotes and I don't really want to have 2 useless buttons :v: Right now I'm considering the Jays One+, as a bonus they are much cheaper. I really like their design. A remote would be nice but it's not necessary.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Welp, I sold some crap I hadn't gotten around to getting rid of and found a deal on like-new HD 800s from a trusted seller for about a grand. I love a good impulse buy so let's see what the trip report looks like!

A fine choice :chord:

Not sure the Xonar will give them enough juice, though.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks :coffee:. Audiophile forums seem to agree that the TPA6120A2 amp chip will drive even high impedance phones like the HD 800 fine. I'll worry about tube flavorings or whatever whenever I lose part of my brain in an industrial accident.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Hello thread. I've been looking for a pair of headphones and feel like I'm groping around in the dark, so I figured I'd ask here.

Budget: appprox £200/$300
Source: iPod Classsic playing CD-ripped AIFF files -> Fiio E17 -> Headphones
Isolation Requirements: not strictly necessary.
Preferred Type of Headphone: Full size, circumaural.
Preferred Tonal Balance: Ideally balanced, not bass heavy.
Past Headphones: Sennheiser HD 485, House of Marley Destiny
Preferred Music: Classical, Jazz, Folk.

Currently I have the House of Marley Destinys and I love them for listening to Rock/Jungle/Metal etc as they are pretty bass heavy as you can probably imagine. I used to love the HD485s too until they gave up the ghost a little while ago.

I'm after something that has clarity and detail, a big wide sound and that is nicely balanced. Essentially something where I'd feel like I was at concert really.

They don't have to be open (though I appreciate that open headphones may give the sort of sound I'm looking for). As I have a fairly large head I'd like to avoid the AKG 701-style headband thing, as I've found in the past that they don't fit me so well.

Somebody had suggested I get the Lindy HF-100 (aka Fischer Audio fa-003/Brainwavz HM5), so I thought I should mention that for consideration.

Any help you can give would be gratefully received, so thank you in advance!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

frontlineKHAAAN! posted:

Hello thread. I've been looking for a pair of headphones and feel like I'm groping around in the dark, so I figured I'd ask here.

Budget: appprox £200/$300
Source: iPod Classsic playing CD-ripped AIFF files -> Fiio E17 -> Headphones
Isolation Requirements: not strictly necessary.
Preferred Type of Headphone: Full size, circumaural.
Preferred Tonal Balance: Ideally balanced, not bass heavy.
Past Headphones: Sennheiser HD 485, House of Marley Destiny
Preferred Music: Classical, Jazz, Folk.

Currently I have the House of Marley Destinys and I love them for listening to Rock/Jungle/Metal etc as they are pretty bass heavy as you can probably imagine. I used to love the HD485s too until they gave up the ghost a little while ago.

I'm after something that has clarity and detail, a big wide sound and that is nicely balanced. Essentially something where I'd feel like I was at concert really.

They don't have to be open (though I appreciate that open headphones may give the sort of sound I'm looking for). As I have a fairly large head I'd like to avoid the AKG 701-style headband thing, as I've found in the past that they don't fit me so well.

Somebody had suggested I get the Lindy HF-100 (aka Fischer Audio fa-003/Brainwavz HM5), so I thought I should mention that for consideration.

Any help you can give would be gratefully received, so thank you in advance!

Ummm...ATH-AD900x?

Amazon's got them for ~$220 and they've got flappy wings instead of the 701's strap.

Edit: And now I'm curious to know what people here think of the AD900x vs the Q701/K701. From the 15 minutes of googling I just did, there looks to be a decent amount of discussion online, but most of it is crap. I need to figure out which fancy people phones to finally get myself for Christmas.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 25, 2013

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ummm...ATH-AD900x?

Amazon's got them for ~$220 and they've got flappy wings instead of the 701's strap.

Edit: And now I'm curious to know what people here think of the AD900x vs the Q701/K701. From the 15 minutes of googling I just did, there looks to be a decent amount of discussion online, but most of it is crap. I need to figure out which fancy people phones to finally get myself for Christmas.

Those would be ideal but for some stupid reason they're £323 ($522!) on amazon.co.uk

I'm leaning towards the AKG K550 at the moment.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

frontlineKHAAAN! posted:

Those would be ideal but for some stupid reason they're £323 ($522!) on amazon.co.uk

I'm leaning towards the AKG K550 at the moment.

Ummm, then buy them from the US store (or one of the fifty billion independent sellers listed with it) and just pay the shipping to the UK? Some of the sellers are listing them for under $200 before shipping.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
So they came in today. I listened to Bach's St. John Passion (a choral and orchestral work with tons of texture) off of my Hanssler edition and these are exactly what I've been looking for. I can just close my eyes and imagine I've paid a lot of money to be at an amazing performance. I can hear the loving echo and vibrations off of the walls when the tenor has a solo part in the hall they recorded this piece at! I'm putting my HD 598s up for $180.53 ($175 after paypal fees) in SA Mart if anyone is interested.

vvv Oh god....the sibilance on this track!!!! Better get my wallet

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 26, 2013

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Now imagine how they would sound if you recabled them with Elite Reference TWag X IC's with CryoFreeze(TM) carbon fiber connectors.

(I just checked St. John's Passion on youtube, thanks for that. I can imagine it being a very rich experience with a better source).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Incredulous Dylan posted:

So they came in today. I listened to Bach's St. John Passion (a choral and orchestral work with tons of texture) off of my Hanssler edition and these are exactly what I've been looking for. I can just close my eyes and imagine I've paid a lot of money to be at an amazing performance. I can hear the loving echo and vibrations off of the walls when the tenor has a solo part in the hall they recorded this piece at! I'm putting my HD 598s up for $180.53 ($175 after paypal fees) in SA Mart if anyone is interested.

vvv Oh god....the sibilance on this track!!!! Better get my wallet

If anyone is on the fence, less than 200 bucks for the 598s is a fantastic deal. I paid 300 for mine, and it was worth every penny.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

As I hear that the guy behind Schiit is a regular of this thread, I thought it was a good place to ask. Is it possible to order a Magni with an Australian AC adapter? Every other amp on the site has the option of an Australian connector, but the Magi just has a choice of 115v USA/230v UK/230v Euro. I can always buy a 16vac Australian adapter, but that extra expense (25 dollars or so from a quick check) really puts the whole setup just out of budget.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I'm looking into some noise cancelling headphones to assist with studying. Nothing expensive, just something that effectively cancels noise while playing something in the background (like white noise). Preferably something that has a standard headphone jack. School library is too far to commute to on off days, and the cafes around here are usually pretty busy, hence the headphones.

edit: poo poo, there's a format. Uhhh....

Budget: $50-$100.
Source: Google Nexus 7, Nokia Lumia 920, iPod nano, or Macbook Pro.
Isolation Requirements: High. I'll be using them in crowded cafes and subway trains, and quiet libraries.
Preferred Type of Headphone: Over or on ear, but probably leaning more towards over ear. Whichever offers better comfort over long periods of use.
Preferred Tonal Balance: I don't really have a preference. I listen to a wide range of music, and a lot of podcasts/radio/audiobooks.
Past Headphones: Some cheap $10 gummi in-ear headphones, iPhone headphones. Nothing spectacular, and I couldn't honestly tell you much about what I liked/disliked about them.
Preferred Music: All kinds, though mostly rock, electronica, and especially jazz.

edit: I've heard great things about the Panasonic RP-HTX7 headphones, and for the price I couldn't really say no. I ordered a pair and can post a review, as someone who doesn't know much about headphones but who uses them primarily for studying and travel, who needs something that focuses mostly on isolation and comfort.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 28, 2013

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Budget - $30-40. I'm broke.

Source - LG Optimus L9 phone, Spotify on extreme quality.

Isolation Requirements - Need closed ear, so I guess they'll have decent isolation regardless.

Preferred Type of Headphone - Closed ear for travelling on the subway.

Preferred Tonal Balance - I like good bass and good highs, but mids aren't a priority.

Past Headphones - Right now I have some Sony MDR-NC7s. I'm happy with the quality (for the $50 I paid for them, at least) when I'm at home, but the noise cancelling doesn't even get rid of the train rumbling, much everyone's conversations.

Preferred Music - Punk and ska mostly, some folk and 8-bit/chiptune.

My main question is whether the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S be noticeably better than the MDR-NC7s I have now. If the Sony MDR XB500s are a good deal better I could save up for those too.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Anybody have any experience with ATH-AD2000 headphones? How do they compare to ATH-AD900's?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Xovaan posted:

Anybody have any experience with ATH-AD2000 headphones? How do they compare to ATH-AD900's?

Ah man, it's a whole new world, for better and worse. The Ad2000 are magical headphones, as are the Ad900. If you can read this and not want to buy the Ad2000 then don't buy them. If you feel that there isn't much that entices you then don't. I find the Ad2000 better in every aspect to many other high-end headphones.

I can provide a more detailed comparison when I'm sober tomorrow if you want, but man I loving miss my Ad2000 more than sex. No joke at all.

Edit: Everyone praises the Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs? Buy the Ad2000 used and get a better experience or buy the Brainwavz HM5 and get 95% of the experience. Not a fan so far.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 28, 2013

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
For MondayHotDog and Dirty Job, is there any reason you wouldn't consider IEMs? You'll probably get better isolation than with circum- or supra-aurals in your respective budgets.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

MondayHotDog posted:

Budget - $30-40. I'm broke.

Source - LG Optimus L9 phone, Spotify on extreme quality.

Isolation Requirements - Need closed ear, so I guess they'll have decent isolation regardless.

Preferred Type of Headphone - Closed ear for travelling on the subway.

Preferred Tonal Balance - I like good bass and good highs, but mids aren't a priority.

Past Headphones - Right now I have some Sony MDR-NC7s. I'm happy with the quality (for the $50 I paid for them, at least) when I'm at home, but the noise cancelling doesn't even get rid of the train rumbling, much everyone's conversations.

Preferred Music - Punk and ska mostly, some folk and 8-bit/chiptune.

My main question is whether the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S be noticeably better than the MDR-NC7s I have now. If the Sony MDR XB500s are a good deal better I could save up for those too.

I haven't heard the XB500 or the NC7, but I do have the HTF600.
It's got decent quality bass, the mids are a bit recessed and the highs are non fatiguing. They have a similar sound signature as my Sennheiser HD-580, with the 580 having just a bit more treble. They're a good sounding phone, especially for the price, though I'm not too confident in their standing up to any rough treatment, they feel "plasticky".
They provide some isolation, but being semi-open it's not much. If you're main concern is keeping out train noise, maybe the Incipio F38 series or Monoprice 8323 might work better, as they're in the same price range and isolate better.

That, or IEM's since most often they'll isolate better than closed phones. The Vsonic GR02 seems to have the characteristics you're looking for. I haven't heard them, but this guy likes them.
http://www.amazon.com/VSONIC-Silver...rds=vsonic+vc02

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Midorka posted:

If you're in no rush the a-JAYS Five will be out soon, I'd expect by Christmas.

@losoall, the Sennheiser HD25-1 II seems like they might be for you.

So while I'm here waiting for the a-JAYS Five, amazon lets me know about the JLab JBuds J4 are 66% to $30ish dollars. Is this worth picking up? Are JLabs even the same company as JAY?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011TS8LM

My previous post:

rapeface posted:

I'd like some recommendations choosing some new headphones.

Budget - ~$100 though I'm willing to go higher if that means I can hit some sweet spot.
Source - For the most part, an iPhone or Android phone.
Isolation Requirements - They're mostly for use on public transport, chores and in the office, so yes.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM I think.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Probably balanced with a slant to bass.
Past Headphones - Nothing of note.
Preferred Music - Mostly Podcasts, Hip Hop, Electronica, Dance and Pop.

I also need a Mic, and some controls (pause/volume/skip) that work with both an iPhone and some kind of android (probably the new Nexus 5).

Bluetooth would be nice too, if it doesn't add too much?