Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Rhyno posted:

AI WILL ALLOW THIS.

As much as I really wanted it to be the Jag this is an acceptable substitute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

13 INCH DICK posted:

Imgur is fighting my screenshot upload but what would AI think about me dumping the Vic at a slight loss and picking this up tonight? I've got both people lined up but I'm getting offered $1500 cash for the Vic, which seems to be about all the offers I'm getting.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/4137742645.html

Do it, then drive it every goddamn day.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Pham Nuwen posted:

Do it, then drive it every goddamn day.

I CANT FIND A loving RIDE TO PUYALLUP OR I'D BE GONE ALREADY

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
Well drat, my brother lives in Tacoma. If you don't end up getting it, I would fly out to hoon that 52 hp car back to Ohio in a heartbeat.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

TrinityOfDeath posted:

Well drat, my brother lives in Tacoma. If you don't end up getting it, I would fly out to hoon that 52 hp car back to Ohio in a heartbeat.

Obvious solution, call your brother and make him drive a goon to Puyallup

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
NEW PROJECT THREAD INCOMING TOMORROW

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

13 INCH DICK posted:

NEW PROJECT THREAD INCOMING TOMORROW

gently caress

YES

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Anyone near Austin/Round Rock want to go check out an old Ford for me?

13 INCH DICK posted:

Imgur is fighting my screenshot upload but what would AI think about me dumping the Vic at a slight loss and picking this up tonight? I've got both people lined up but I'm getting offered $1500 cash for the Vic, which seems to be about all the offers I'm getting.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/4137742645.html

It's beautiful. 70's Hondas were so good looking.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Civic told me to call him back this morning and now he's not picking up his phone and the message left said I had cash in hand ready to rock :argh:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

Anyone near Austin/Round Rock want to go check out an old Ford for me?

It's beautiful. 70's Hondas were so good looking.

Maybe. What are you looking at?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

13 INCH DICK posted:

Civic told me to call him back this morning and now he's not picking up his phone and the message left said I had cash in hand ready to rock :argh:

So no thread then?

I hate sellers that really couldn't care less about when or how they sell their car, taking no account into who contacted them first. I always start a list from the first to last guy that contacts me and take it from there. And I always let the others know how many are in front of them.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I only go by people who actually show the gently caress up. I try to give people who contact me first priority for seeing the car, but the only thing that matters is the people who make it out.

And it is really annoying when sellers don't seem to care. I loving messaged a guy with an e36 m3 last summer who had a ridiculously rare colour combo (alpine white on cloth interior) and he never got back to me. Then this year I found him complaining on a forum about kijiji. Actually answering inquiries to your ad might help.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 20, 2013

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
There's a super clean '89 Civic hatch for sale too, but it's just not the same :(

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I had a guy tell me after i wanted to buy his bmw that he wasn't sure about selling it. Well if your not sure about selling something then don't loving list it. I told him why bother listing if he didn't want to sell and he got all pissed off.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

13 INCH DICK posted:

There's a super clean '89 Civic hatch for sale too, but it's just not the same :(

EF Civics are the best Civics, if you've never owned one you need to.

Also people that list their cars on any internet site need to check their loving spam folders on a regular basis, it blows my mind how many people don't do this. I've gotten contacted MONTHS after sending an email saying "just found your email in my spam folder, still interested?" No, I found a loving car already you moron.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I HAVE AN ADRESS

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I'm going tomorrow to look at this, and make an offer if it as good as it seems. Any particular problems I should look for on it?

quote:

GOOD:
!!65000!! original miles.
1.6L 4 cyl 5 speed
31x10.50
Cold air intake
Lockout Hubs
Rust Free Body and Frame
Removable Top and Back Hard Shell covers
Rubber on doors like new
Tires are like new
Interior in Great Shape

I also have another 1990 Rocky that goes with it as a parts car/donor..

Bad:
Lacks desired power in higher gears.

Awesome little ride, Very, very nice over all. Too many Irons in the fire right now something's gotta go..

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Bovril Delight posted:

Maybe. What are you looking at?

An old Ford pickup, I'm waiting to hear back from him with some more photos. I'll PM you the info if/when he responds.

leica posted:

EF Civics are the best Civics, if you've never owned one you need to.

For real, I've been looking for a clean hatch forever. They're really hard to find.

13 INCH DICK posted:

I HAVE AN ADRESS

Hope there's a car there.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 21, 2013

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

13 INCH DICK posted:

Called this guy and left a message. Needs a head gasket though, but look at it.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/4135114170.html

This car is awesome, and I wish I had $1500 plus gas money to haul it back to Texas.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Drunken Lullabies posted:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/4137809095.html

1989 Geo Metro, 50 MPG TRUCK! - $1250 (Lake Stevens)
Year: 1989
Make: Geo
Model: Metro
Engine: 3 Cylinder
Transmission: Manual 5 Speed
Average MPG: 47MPG
Interior Condition: 7/10
Exterior Condition: 7/10
The Good: Custom Geo Truck, water tight, turns heads, stays warm inside, great for hauling tools, or whatever and getting great gas mileage. lots of new parts, to many to list, nice kenwood stereo and kenwood speakers. bench seat makes it feel way roomier, very comfy and fun to drive, fully functional cobra CB with a loud PA system. radio shack radar detector. new tires, brakes good, new wipers, battery, oil changed every month on the 1st. I only run royal purple full synthetic oil and premium fram oil filters. dont want to sell but i am moving east and need 4 wheel drive. passed final emissions test recently. and got rid of the catalytic converter and put new exhaust on it and gained 2 mpg. new radiator and electric radiator fan.
The Bad: Small oil leak, clutch needs adjustment. needs new hood, drivers and passenger door, both doors work fine, just dont look to pretty, both lock, windows work, ect. also needs drivers fender. can replace these parts for you if you want to pay, also willing to paint and fix mechanical problems for extra cost. could use a new carpet kit and door panels but those are also easy fixes.
Asking: 1250 obo, or trade for small truck, 4wd MANUAL TRANS ONLY. or a 87 or newer bronco. can fix if something needs work and also willing to throw in cash on a deal.

Looks like I know what I'm buying.
(seriously, look at all of the pictures on that listing, it's all gold.)

Don't miss the radio shack radar detector, or the PA system. Or the "only selling because I'm moving east" followed by "trade for a small 4WD/manual truck or 87 bronco"

Holy poo poo, he even shoehorned a bench seat in there. Why?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Darchangel posted:

Holy poo poo, he even shoehorned a bench seat in there. Why?

Bench seats own, that's why.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/4137777440.html

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

leica posted:

I hate sellers that really couldn't care less about when or how they sell their car, taking no account into who contacted them first. I always start a list from the first to last guy that contacts me and take it from there. And I always let the others know how many are in front of them.

When I first called the PO about my XT, he told me that he already had someone scheduled to come look at it the following Sunday. So I told him that was fine and that I didn't want to buy it out from under someone else, but he was surprisingly firm in his offer that I should come by and have a look at it anyway. So I drove up there the next day and ended up buying it for almost $1000 less than his original asking price.

I'm 99% certain that the mysterious "other buyer" never actually existed :ninja:

My stance on the matter is that the first person to show up with an agreeable amount of cash in hand is the buyer. I'm not going to turn down a deal just to wait for a potential no-show. But I will also call any other potential buyers and inform them that the car/bike is no longer for sale.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

HCFJ posted:

Craigslist. . . gold?

"Toyota mini motor home"

For a while, Toyota was selling a lot of pickups without beds to third parties for camper conversions.

When I thought buying one, the story I kept hear was that conversion companies overloaded them and broke a lot of axles catastrophically, snapped off rear wheels, etc. Toyota got tired of taking the bad press and basically no more.

That ones on the small end of the old Toyota campers I've seen, though. I still love them.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 21, 2013

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
My brother is selling a similar little RV near Akron, OH:
http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/rvs/4125341221.html

I'm at work, so no pics, but it's a 22ft RV with a 4-cylinder, 5-speed drivetrain. It gets great gas mileage for an RV, but is still spacious enough for family road trips.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

eddiewalker posted:

For a while, Toyota was selling a lot of pickups without beds to third parties for camper conversions.

They also used them for uhauls.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I just went through the process of selling a car on CL. It was a 1999 Civic and it was priced somewhat cheap ($1800), so of course I got 30000 emails about it and I even replied to them all. One dude wanted to drive 2.5 hours to come look at it TONIGHT WITH CASH but I didn't want to deal with that. The first guy looked at it and put down a deposit, and now I have to deal with getting email replies/texts/calls for the next few days about it.

Best trade offer: 2 Yamaha Mopeds

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
To this day the best trade offer I've ever had included "a nice painting of 2 horses in a field". He then offered to go to yard sales to find more things to trade.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Larrymer posted:

The first guy looked at it and put down a deposit

Why would you ever allow that to happen?

First one with cash takes it. If you're that serious you best find the cash before someone else does.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Dr.Caligari posted:

I'm going tomorrow to look at this, and make an offer if it as good as it seems. Any particular problems I should look for on it?

I've owned one for 5 years and daily it as well. Its alright, gets 25mpg, handles far better than something like it should (its as wide as a fullsize truck) and only weighs 2600lbs. They come with 5.29 gears stock and do about 4000RPM at 70mph, which isn't that bad but keeps the fuel economy around 25mpg, city or highway. Parts are impossible to get unless you know interchanges (of which there are very few as the drivetrain is all Daihatsu).

Bad parts are:
impossible to get parts beyond maintenance stuff
open rear diff on the SE trim
worthless vinyl top
low engine power
weak ignition system (change every part including coil if it misfires at all)
fragile exhaust parts

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Motronic posted:

Why would you ever allow that to happen?

First one with cash takes it. If you're that serious you best find the cash before someone else does.

Because he was serious about the car, found a bank that was open, and then just picked it up? It was a hell of a lot easier than dealing with some kid who wanted to drive across the state to look at the car and then be pissed or whatever when it wasn't his dream car. I'll take deposits on the car as long as I can trust the person and they agree to get the car within a week. It's not like I needed it out of the driveway RIGHT NOW either. I don't show up to buy cars with cash the first time but always have enough for a deposit. I figure most people are reasonable and will accept that just like I would.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nocheez posted:

My brother is selling a similar little RV near Akron, OH:
http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/rvs/4125341221.html

I'm at work, so no pics, but it's a 22ft RV with a 4-cylinder, 5-speed drivetrain. It gets great gas mileage for an RV, but is still spacious enough for family road trips.

That is freakin' awesome, a 4cyl with a 5 speed? It's got to be a dog though, as in good luck on the on ramp.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Larrymer posted:

Because he was serious about the car, found a bank that was open, and then just picked it up? It was a hell of a lot easier than dealing with some kid who wanted to drive across the state to look at the car and then be pissed or whatever when it wasn't his dream car. I'll take deposits on the car as long as I can trust the person and they agree to get the car within a week. It's not like I needed it out of the driveway RIGHT NOW either. I don't show up to buy cars with cash the first time but always have enough for a deposit. I figure most people are reasonable and will accept that just like I would.

So what do you do if they give you $500 or whatever, then never come back? I'm not being snarky, I legitimately want to know what's the best way to handle deposits.

I'm imagining some guy gives me $500 deposit, disappears, I loving give up and sell it to somebody else, then next month the guy shows up and wants the car. Do you have them sign a bit of paper saying "If I don't buy the car by <next Saturday>, I understand that the owner may sell the car and keep my deposit"?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
That's exactly what you do.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Yep, exactly. I've never had that happen and I usually only take $100. That's usually enough to motivate most people to get their poo poo together.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've only done it a couple times, but I will only give 24 hours, 48 at most depending on day of the week and giving the buyer a chance to hit the bank.

If the guy waffles, say sorry and move on but you'd be happy to still sell it to him if he gets the cash ready in a day or two if you still have it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Larrymer posted:

Yep, exactly. I've never had that happen and I usually only take $100. That's usually enough to motivate most people to get their poo poo together.

If they show up on a Saturday, hand me $100 cash, say, the banks closed, can I bring you cash Monday? I say sure, have the seller sign a piece of paper that says "I want to buy X and will bring the rest of the money with the deposit going towards the agreed upon price by X day and if the purchaser backs out, the seller keeps the deposit"

I have had only 1 person do that, they were pissed about giving up the $100, but I always make copies and said did you read the agreement you signed? He said in a sheepish voice "yeah, I guess I hosed up" he ended up being pretty cool about it all.

I figure if I have to hold the car and miss a potential sale, I would much rather make some form of cash. Most people though if you want to sign that form of an agreement, are usually there to do business.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

leica posted:

That is freakin' awesome, a 4cyl with a 5 speed? It's got to be a dog though, as in good luck on the on ramp.

It's definitely not fast, but once you are on the freeway you can pretty much just put your foot on the floor and let it go.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=131024486418

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

I promise you that in 25 years we will all regret the decision not to buy a clean, manual transmission ZR1 for pocket change.