Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veotax
May 16, 2006

No, preloading is just downloading the game in an encrypted and unplayable form. It allows people to (in theory) play the game the second it comes out and decrypts, without having to wait for it to download on release day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Speaking of getting things early, how are people already playing the game and why am I never one of those people?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Console version is made weeks if not a month in advance, needs to be shipped all over the place. You just need the know the right stores that are willing to break the street date. There's one I go to occasionally, but they overcharge and don't give you a receipt (so there's no paper trail).

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I wish I had a store like that. The last time I got a game early was when EBGames sent me Majora's Mask a week early.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hopefully GMG emails out their codes soon, I'd like to get this preloaded nice and early.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Beeez posted:

I wish I had a store like that. The last time I got a game early was when EBGames sent me Majora's Mask a week early.

Only indie stores ever seem to break street date. I got UMVC3 early from a place in NY Chinatown, but the NJ burbs are devoid of anything not a GameStop or Best Buy.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
180mb pre-order size whelp i'm surprised it's a much shorter game but hey: amazing how technology works huh. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ronnie posted:

180mb pre-order size whelp i'm surprised it's a much shorter game but hey: amazing how technology works huh. :v:

180mb isn't that long of a game...How big was AC?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

180mb isn't that long of a game...How big was AC?

16mb custom .wad file, but you needed the commercial copy of Doom to play it, the shareware version wasn't enough.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

16mb custom .wad file, but you needed the commercial copy of Doom to play it, the shareware version wasn't enough.

I uh...Batman? :confused:

We are talking about Arkham City..right?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ThermoPhysical posted:

I know this is a sub-forum called 'Games' and not 'Jokes' but sometimes people do make them here.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

ThermoPhysical posted:

This is the reference.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think he's talking about Batman Doom, one of the greatest things in existence. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcwUq9oC4v8

Batman should not work well as an fps, but it drat near pulls it off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

I think he's talking about Batman Doom, one of the greatest things in existence. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcwUq9oC4v8

Man, screw Arkham Origins. GotY right here.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

DrNutt posted:

I know this is a sub-forum called 'Games' and not 'Jokes' but sometimes people do make them here.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Never played much of Doom, but this looks loving amazing regardless.

Thanks for clearing that up. :v:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Narcissus1916 posted:

I think he's talking about Batman Doom, one of the greatest things in existence.
Holy poo poo Batman is short. He barely comes up to everyone else's waist.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Somebody made an addon patch for GZDoom, and also had an additional version that, among other little changes, made Batman taller. The only downside is occasionally having to crouch through doorways or to climb up stairs.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Samurai Sanders posted:

My favorite part was how his melee attack animation looks like he's making a handjob motion at the enemies.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Even if it sucks, I am still somewhat excited for the multiplayer. Its nice to have things that go beyond bland tdm.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Narcissus1916 posted:

I think he's talking about Batman Doom, one of the greatest things in existence.

Believe it or not Ubisoft actually tried with Batman: Vengeance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81YPXI9YbJc#t=2m40s

It's a third person beat'em up but you can aim/use all of the gadgets from first person and basically play it like an FPS if you want. Oh hey an indestructable Mr. Freeze that you have to whittle down by triggering a bunch of things in the environment. Vengeance is an interesting game, it's almost incredible but has just a bit too much stupid stuff and was a bit too rushed (the controls in particular were very awful, a later port to Gamecube is the best version of the game as it has numerous fixes to the controls and a bunch of other bugs). You can't kill anyone in it either, there's a finite amount of enemies in each area you have to handcuff or use stuff in the environment to keep them bound, otherwise they all just wake up eventually.

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003

blackguy32 posted:

Even if it sucks, I am still somewhat excited for the multiplayer. Its nice to have things that go beyond bland tdm.

Me too. I'm wondering if there is anyway to join a match with a friend. I'd like to see how an organized team handles batman/robin

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Neo Rasa posted:

Believe it or not Ubisoft actually tried with Batman: Vengeance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81YPXI9YbJc#t=2m40s

It's a third person beat'em up but you can aim/use all of the gadgets from first person and basically play it like an FPS if you want. Oh hey an indestructable Mr. Freeze that you have to whittle down by triggering a bunch of things in the environment. Vengeance is an interesting game, it's almost incredible but has just a bit too much stupid stuff and was a bit too rushed (the controls in particular were very awful, a later port to Gamecube is the best version of the game as it has numerous fixes to the controls and a bunch of other bugs). You can't kill anyone in it either, there's a finite amount of enemies in each area you have to handcuff or use stuff in the environment to keep them bound, otherwise they all just wake up eventually.

There's also the fact that the final area has a secret mission you need to complete that the game doesn't really tell you about. If you don't complete it, you get a bad ending. :v:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
The rest of the preload just started for me on Steam. 16.2 GB of Batman coming my way

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
16.2 gigabats.

I'm still not sure if I want to spring for this. I'd appreciate some early adopter goons giving their thoughts, especially on the multiplayer.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There's also the fact that the final area has a secret mission you need to complete that the game doesn't really tell you about. If you don't complete it, you get a bad ending. :v:

I never knew this. I have the game at home and just thought it was just one ending to it. I must look this up. I even had all the cheats unlocked.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mzbundifund posted:

16.2 gigabats.

I'm still not sure if I want to spring for this. I'd appreciate some early adopter goons giving their thoughts, especially on the multiplayer.
I don't know if I can take that many bats.

Anyway I didn't enjoy City enough to buy this blind. I want to hear more about whether the city itself has anything worthwhile in it, or if it will just be a pain getting between buildings, the inside of which have all the fun stuff I like.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

You know. I think Origins will be out tomorrow on Steam.

Google Now is claiming that it'll be out tomorrow...

Orv
May 4, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

What? That's kind of a crazy jump.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

I don't know what google now is but Steam itself still says Friday.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AngryBooch posted:

I don't know what google now is but Steam itself still says Friday.

I have family coming to visit the day it is due to come out, so you can guaran-drat-tee it is going to come out that day, because coming out a day earlier would mean I got to play it straightaway :argh:

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3
It's going to come out on Friday. The most recent TV spot had the worldwide launch on the 25th. Plus if it is a stinker, they're not going to release it on one platform early. No official confirmation, but some guy on NeoGAF says the review embargo is up on the 25th too.

Orv
May 4, 2011

seal it with a kiss posted:

It's going to come out on Friday. The most recent TV spot had the worldwide launch on the 25th. Plus if it is a stinker, they're not going to release it on one platform early. No official confirmation, but some guy on NeoGAF says the review embargo is up on the 25th too.

Amusingly it's been pushed back to the 29th in several formats in Europe/UK.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Google is pulling it from multiple sites so I don't know 100% but who knows.

I asked a few local stores and some said they may sell tomorrow.

Why is it coming on Friday anyway? That's kind of weird for a game...Pokemon X/Y dropped on a Saturday. I thought games were always a Tuesday?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Retail and digital release parity is a dark and arcane mire of bullshit, but it is usually Tuesday US, Thursday or Friday UK/Europe.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Tuesday would be awesome, because I have a whole lot of nothing going on all day. It would be the first time since college that I've enjoyed day one minute one access to a game.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

All I'll say to entice you to play Batman!Doom is that there's a level set at Gotham hospital that has you rushing to escape the building as poison gas is pumped through vents. Oh, and you have to dodge EXPLODING PENGUIN ROBOTS.

And a level with TallyMan as the boss but hey, they can't all be winners.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Much like how Bruce Wayne trained his whole life to become Batman, I too, shall queue up a couple of expert level predator/combat challenges this week and get back into the groove.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

It might turn out to be disappointing, but no way it'll be a stinker.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The review embargo not lifting until the day of release doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. I'm going to sit this one out until a rainy day I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The review embargo not lifting until the day of release doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. I'm going to sit this one out until a rainy day I think.

That happens with pretty much every game nowadays so I wouldn't take it as a sign of anything, but waiting can't hurt.

• Locked thread