Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Are we aware yet if their is going to be any Riddler collectibles in the game or maybe some form of a collect-a-thon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I believe the achievements mention Riddler stuff.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The review embargo not lifting until the day of release doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. I'm going to sit this one out until a rainy day I think.

The review embargo was the same for the previous Arkham games EXCEPT if your review translated to a 90+ on Metacritic, then your review outlet was allowed to publish early.

Having a straight forward embargo seems a little less scummy - or maybe it's the same as the previous Arkham games and no review is over 90. :ohdear:

Gunder
May 22, 2003

AngryBooch posted:

The review embargo was the same for the previous Arkham games EXCEPT if your review translated to a 90+ on Metacritic, then your review outlet was allowed to publish early.

Having a straight forward embargo seems a little less scummy - or maybe it's the same as the previous Arkham games and no review is over 90. :ohdear:

Day of release embargos are pretty much the standard when it comes to big name games these days. It doesn't mean anything about the quality of the game.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gunder posted:

Day of release embargos are pretty much the standard when it comes to big name games these days. It doesn't mean anything about the quality of the game.

But it certainly does introduce the idea that they really, really want those day one sales and preorders without the encumbrance of external opinion. Makes me suspicious, and I still bought 'The bureau'.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I don't know how it could be coverup-level bad, though. It may not be as highly regarded as City since it'll probably seem less of a step up than City was from Asylum, but I don't see how it could be so bad that it could be a flop if they don't coverup review scores.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Ronnie posted:

Are we aware yet if their is going to be any Riddler collectibles in the game or maybe some form of a collect-a-thon?

Not gonna lie, I would totally play an Arkham game that featured the Riddler as the main bad guy leading Batman around in a wild goose chase.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Beeez posted:

I don't know how it could be coverup-level bad, though. It may not be as highly regarded as City since it'll probably seem less of a step up than City was from Asylum, but I don't see how it could be so bad that it could be a flop if they don't coverup review scores.

I could see Origins being maybe an 8 on review sites. It'd probably get nicked for being like City with "nothing new" or maybe the usual framerate issues that seem to plague all PS3/360 games nowadays but that's about it.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
That'd be my guess as well.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
In regards to the Riddler: he is in-game, and there are collectibles.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

With regards to plots poilers: I'm so sick of the loving Joker. Batman has so many other interesting villains, and Joker isn't even top 3 for me. I kind of get the feeling that the entire reason this was made a prequel was so they could make another game starring the Joker. If they find a way to bring him back for Arkham 3, I might straight up skip it.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I could see Origins being maybe an 8 on review sites. It'd probably get nicked for being like City with "nothing new" or maybe the usual framerate issues that seem to plague all PS3/360 games nowadays but that's about it.

I hope the the plot will be less unwieldy than City's. City felt a little strained, like Tim Burton's Batman 2 in comparison to 1. Arkham Asylum was so well conceived- it's a "little" story that allows Batman to fight a bunch of the rogues gallery in one night without it seeming video gamey. In City they just transplanted the same concepts to a much larger map and added a bunch of poo poo in between to fill it out. I still liked it, mainly due to aesthetics and good gameplay, but it seemed like they wanted to stay safe and just make Arkham Asylum+, so they went for convolution over a fresh, tight story. Origin is still hammering away at that whole "one crazy night for Batman" concept, but at least they dressed it up a little and we get to the experience the Arkham universe version of Batman's rite of passage, which is neat. It'll be a shame if the spoilers from earlier turn out to be true, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I'd prefer if they went for more of a Grand Theft Auto mission design going forward. Instead of having all the missions and villains- not counting the baddies that only interact with you via non mission activities, like solving Riddler puzzles or Zsasz's phone calls- appear in service of an overarching plot, have a series of missions comprising the main story, while having secondary clusters of missions that focus on one or a couple villains in their own side stories. No crazy blow out stories about how Batman has to fight 20 of his worst adversaries in one night, because they're all working together; give me a game where Batman is solving, say, 10 cases involving individual villains via sets, plus one main story that focuses on character\myth development. Or just one long story with one- or maybe a few- adversaries that are used well in service of the plot. I think it would make things feel less cluttered and allow for the really interesting personalities of Batman's villains to shine through.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lurdiak posted:

With regards to plots poilers: I'm so sick of the loving Joker. Batman has so many other interesting villains, and Joker isn't even top 3 for me. I kind of get the feeling that the entire reason this was made a prequel was so they could make another game starring the Joker. If they find a way to bring him back for Arkham 3, I might straight up skip it.

You are indeed correct about this, in fact when Origins was first announced, the first official thing ever announced about the game was that the game would be about Batman's first meeting with the Joker, the game was to be all about Batman/Joker. I figured back then I would skip it, though the larger city to play around in sounds fun, we'll see. Arkham City even had all those odd Scarecrow messages and stuff hinting that the sequel would focus on Scarecrow or that there was going to be another story DLC about him that just never materialized because heavens forbid anything happens in the games that isn't Joker all along.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 22, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mysterious frankie posted:

I'd prefer if they went for more of a Grand Theft Auto mission design going forward. Instead of having all the missions and villains- not counting the baddies that only interact with you via non mission activities, like solving Riddler puzzles or Zsasz's phone calls- appear in service of an overarching plot, have a series of missions comprising the main story, while having secondary clusters of missions that focus on one or a couple villains in their own side stories.

... isn't that what Arkham City did? You had the Bane missions, the Deadspot missions, the Hush subplot, ect.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

... isn't that what Arkham City did? You had the Bane missions, the Deadspot missions, the Hush subplot, ect.

Sort of, but it's all jumbled up with the Arkham city revolt story. I want something where the stories are more cleanly delineated. You start the Bane mission set and each mission is comparable to a single issue of a five issue story revolving around Bane that occurs in a neutral Gotham city setting. Having it all take place in the Arkham City warzone made everything feel muddied and restricted what kind of stories they could tell about the characters.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I heard the game is set in Christmas as a Die Hard reference. I really hope there's some Die Hard parallels to the plot.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Action Tortoise posted:

I heard the game is set in Christmas as a Die Hard reference. I really hope there's some Die Hard parallels to the plot.
"Now I have a Remote Claw. Ho Ho Ho."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sort of, but it's all jumbled up with the Arkham city revolt story. I want something where the stories are more cleanly delineated. You start the Bane mission set and each mission is comparable to a single issue of a five issue story revolving around Bane that occurs in a neutral Gotham city setting. Having it all take place in the Arkham City warzone made everything feel muddied and restricted what kind of stories they could tell about the characters.

With the inevitable Rocksteady Arkham game likely being an actual sequel, I hope this is the direction they take it in. Though if they decide to do a Silver Age crazy game instead like what was considered for Origin that would be great too.

Action Tortoise posted:

Thank God, I thought they were inspired by Batman Returns. :D
From what I read though this was more of a coincidence. The score itself was inspired by Die Hard but they weren't thinking "Batman+Die Hard/Lethal Weapon/Batman Returns" for the game. Though Lethal Weapon will always be my favorite Christmas movie.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 22, 2013

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
This link http://blog.playfire.com/2013/10/25-off-lego-marvel-arkham-origins-enemy.html has a code you can use with green man gaming for you pc folk looking to pick up Origins. I was hesitant about first-day buying this; but, for whatever reason, under 40$ is apparently more tolerable to me. :v:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Not gonna lie, I would totally play an Arkham game that featured the Riddler as the main bad guy leading Batman around in a wild goose chase.

I had the same idea. The Riddler makes it seem like various super villains are doing bad things, making Batman bust into their hideouts and beat the crap out of them, only to realize they weren't doing anything bad (at that time).
After having done so a couple of times, Batman realizes something is up and someone is setting him and all the bad guys up. After some time, he discovers it's the Riddler. But so has all the other gangs, making everyone fight everyone. Gang warfare in the streets and Batman trying to find the Riddler in the middle. He, of course, just did it to cover some magnificent robbery.

And now I'm done writing Batman fanfic :/

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
While we're talking pipe dreams, I'd really love a game with Rocksteady's combat and a detective system similar to LA Noire where there are multiple clues at a crime scene and they're not all necessarily relevant. Interrogations like LA Noire would probably suit the Batman world nicely, too.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Is there anywhere still offering the Collector's Edition? My 6 year old would mark hard for all that poo poo while I play my video game.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

N. Senada posted:

This link http://blog.playfire.com/2013/10/25-off-lego-marvel-arkham-origins-enemy.html has a code you can use with green man gaming for you pc folk looking to pick up Origins. I was hesitant about first-day buying this; but, for whatever reason, under 40$ is apparently more tolerable to me. :v:

I wish I could get GMG to work for me, but whenever I try to get something off it it says there is a problem with the order. Has anyone else had these issues before?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

MeatwadIsGod posted:

While we're talking pipe dreams, I'd really love a game with Rocksteady's combat and a detective system similar to LA Noire where there are multiple clues at a crime scene and they're not all necessarily relevant. Interrogations like LA Noire would probably suit the Batman world nicely, too.

Truth: Batman thanks the thug for his cooperation, smashes his head against the wall and knocks him out.
Doubt: Batman smashes his head against the wall and asks him again.
Lie: Batman shows him evidence he's lying, smashes his head against the wall and asks again.

A better detective game than L.A. Noire was, that's for sure.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

Truth: Batman thanks the thug for his cooperation, smashes his head against the wall and knocks him out.
Doubt: Batman smashes his head against the wall and asks him again.
Lie: Batman shows him evidence he's lying, smashes his head against the wall and asks again.

A better detective game than L.A. Noire was, that's for sure.

I would very much enjoy an interactive interrogation scene where you're grilling someone while perched on a grotesque and dangling them by their leg off the side.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Action Tortoise posted:

This is one of the things I'm most excited for, because even if it's not in any way related to Die Hard, dammit I'm gonna act it like it is.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

The only issue is they'd either need to keep coming up with excuses as to why no regular citizens are around or start having innocent NPCs roaming around in a GTA/Assassin's Creed kinda way, except you can't touch them because Batman wouldn't start beating up random civilians. That might be something they'd be hesitant about doing. But I agree it'd be cool if they spaced it out and made it less claustrophobic timeframe-wise. The first time I played Arkham City I did feel weird getting some urgent main objective and then running off to find Deadshot's latest victim or solve another Riddler room.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Beeez posted:

The only issue is they'd either need to keep coming up with excuses as to why no regular citizens are around or start having innocent NPCs roaming around in a GTA/Assassin's Creed kinda way, except you can't touch them because Batman wouldn't start beating up random civilians. That might be something they'd be hesitant about doing. But I agree it'd be cool if they spaced it out and made it less claustrophobic timeframe-wise. The first time I played Arkham City I did feel weird getting some urgent main objective and then running off to find Deadshot's latest victim or solve another Riddler room.

On the upside it would be awesome to just hulk out as batman and thrash a crowd of random nobodies. It would be weird, however, to have untouchable crowds and (eventually) really annoying to have crowds you could accidentally attack, assuming there was a penalty, which I'm sure there would be since it's Batman. I can imagine it would be hilarious the first couple times I accidentally cracked an old lady in the back of the head with a batarang, due to automatic targeting screwing up, while trying to catch the guy who stole her purse, then automatically failing the mission; by the 30th time it wouldn't be so funny anymore.

It wouldn't be entirely unfeasible to have traffic and crowds on upcoming Arkham titles for PC and next gen consoles if Rockstar can already do it in the current gen, but that does throw a whole bunch of new programming and balance hurdles at Rocksteady, so I totally see what you're saying there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
An Arkham Riddler spin-off would be pretty cool. He already has the gadgets and intellect similar to Batman. He'd be a bit fragile in a fight, of course.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Beeez posted:

It was demented but the Batman and Robin PSX game (which was open world with a "detective mode," and everything) let you just run over human and dog alike without consequence. Another Batman game that could have been legit if it wasn't a rushed out Acclaim product.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

An Arkham Riddler spin-off would be pretty cool. He already has the gadgets and intellect similar to Batman. He'd be a bit fragile in a fight, of course.

You could play him as a trap master. No punching people allowed, but plenty of lures to outwit your stupid foes.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

The final boss would be Batman. It would be impossible to win.

No one would actually get that far though, because in practice everyone would just be searching for as many ways to get his smug face bashed in as possible.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
We're talking dream Batman games? All I'm gonna say is:

Gotham By Gaslight

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

CandyCrazy posted:

The final boss would be Batman. It would be impossible to win.

No one would actually get that far though, because in practice everyone would just be searching for as many ways to get his smug face bashed in as possible.

The winning condition could be that you filled up Batman's "annoyed all to hell" meter before your inevitable capture and return to Arkham.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Was the Batman Begins tie-in any good? Did Rocksteady take some concepts from that game and expand on them?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Action Tortoise posted:

Was the Batman Begins tie-in any good?

The fact that the other Nolan movies didn't get any games should answer that one.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

On the upside it would be awesome to just hulk out as batman and thrash a crowd of random nobodies. It would be weird, however, to have untouchable crowds and (eventually) really annoying to have crowds you could accidentally attack, assuming there was a penalty, which I'm sure there would be since it's Batman. I can imagine it would be hilarious the first couple times I accidentally cracked an old lady in the back of the head with a batarang, due to automatic targeting screwing up, while trying to catch the guy who stole her purse, then automatically failing the mission; by the 30th time it wouldn't be so funny anymore.

It wouldn't be entirely unfeasible to have traffic and crowds on upcoming Arkham titles for PC and next gen consoles if Rockstar can already do it in the current gen, but that does throw a whole bunch of new programming and balance hurdles at Rocksteady, so I totally see what you're saying there.

You could have day/night cycles. During the night, you play as Batman, running around a fairly quiet city beating the poo poo out of bad guys. Unlike the previous games though you have a durable but limited amount of health so when you get your poo poo pushed in you have to call it a night. Night doesn't automatically switch into day, only when you sleep or whatever.

In daytime you're Bruce Wayne in a city that's a lot more populated and you can't run around beating the poo poo out of random people because you're in disguise. During the day as Bruce you could have your own Bruce Wayne missions to complete or could do detectivey things that make your night time Batman missions a lot easier.

Things like casing out a joint or sabotaging an area/planting a stash of goodies for your assault on it that night.

You could even have it so that the more you do at night the more "fear" your impose on crime. This could affect how bad guys react to you and even reduce the overall level of crime going on at night. Skip too many nights of combat (i.e by trying to focus just on the daily stuff) and the night gets harder and crime less scared of you due to you not showing up.

You'd lose the "all in one night" badassery that the other Arkham games have though.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Make it be Friday already :mad:

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
How big is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bard Maddox posted:

Make it be Friday already :mad:

Is this a worldwide release on Friday? In other words if I use an Aussie VPN, can I unlock on Thursday?

• Locked thread