Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
1) G, share with Snarls.
2) Heal Snarls please.
3) Q - I prayed to make it out alive, and I made it out alive. Who cares what mechanic the prayer took to provide help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Azz. Are you El? What are the limits imposed on your Testing? Do you only Test the line of Zepa?

What do you know of Vayahi Or. How do men do this?

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

1.A
2. And your response is... what?
Thanks, but we're almost home. Any advice on setting doggy-legs?

3. J / L

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

You take a moment to examine Snarls leg. You are no doggy doctor, but it appears to be a bad sprain, not broken. Bed rest and tummy rubs should fix it. Hiking through the wilderness will not. Left to your own devices, you anticipate it will take you roughly three weeks to get home.

FoxTerrier posted:

Question for Az:

Are there any messages you'd like us to take Ishamal?
"As I said when you last asked, tell him to enjoy the party while it lasts."

FoxTerrier posted:

How did you know we were in trouble?
"I know all that occurs within my land."

FoxTerrier posted:

Snarls will get transported back with us, right?
He nods.

FoxTerrier posted:

Did you see how we beat the poo poo out of that monster that killed your goat? Pretty cool, right?
A goblet. materializes in his own hand. He drinks and says nothing.

Nettle Soup posted:

Yeah. Can you put us a few days out maybe?
"Well yes, just beyond the city of course so it seems you just walked back."

Vavrek posted:

Ask Azz: "What does 'grigori' mean? Are you one?"
"A Watcher? Me?" He throws his head back and roars with laughter. "Ahahahaha.... ha!" He wipes a tear from his eye. "No. I am not a Grigori. Well not now, if I ever was. I quit. Kind of. Maybe. Its complicated, alright? You wouldn't understand. Anyway it is MUCH more fun down here, wouldn't you say? Well, much more interesting anyway! I couldn't even have any of my pretty little goats up there! Not a SINGLE one! When I tried to bring some back they said no! I promised I would clean up after them but that humorless jackass said no! Boring prudes!"

HiHo ChiRho posted:

What's the deal with Zepa's obelisk that we found?
Azzazel shrugs and gives no answer.

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Azz. Are you El? What are the limits imposed on your Testing? Do you only Test the line of Zepa?
Azzazel roars with laughter, dirt and dust jumping into the air around the two of you. After several minutes, indeed minutes, almost ten, he finally stops and manages to choke out between smaller laughs a "no, I am not El."

Apparently that question was the very HEIGHT of hilarity!

What do you know of Vayahi Or. How do men do this?
"In a more elevated manner of communication it might mean "Let There Be Light" but it is entirely... inadequate to try to communicate it with fleshy meat flaps."

Diogines fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 22, 2013

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Diogines posted:

"In a more elevated manner of communication it might mean "Let There Be Light" but it is entirely... inadequate to try to communicate it with fleshy meat flaps."

Could you do it with interpretive dance? Or by Myeeeeeeeh-ing like a goat?

Anyways, is it actually magic or divine aid which makes the effects?

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
"Azzazel, what do you know about the coming storm?"

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Questions for Az

1. What are the Melachim?

2. Do you know Xuriel?

3. Who is El?

4. How long ago did you meet Ishamal?

5. Why do few men of Zepath think well of you?

6. Who is Ashera?

(Sorry if I'm overloading you with questions Diog!)

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 22, 2013

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Azz. EL HA MELECH KOL HA OLAM! What does this mean?

If I was given a divine command to "Prepare for Years of Hardship". What should I do?

Who is Mereniel?

Who is Xuriel?

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

FoxTerrier posted:

EDIT: Just saw the entries above. Well, shoot. If it's a choice between transport and fixing Snarls, then take the help healing Snarls. Unless Azz wants to trade transport for delivering a message to Ish. Updated #2 accordingly.

Gotta say, I sympathise with the love for Snarls, but it seems like a waste. Snarls will recover with a bit of rest, having Azz transport us back gets us both; we return, and it will ensure Snarls' recuperation.

Question for Az: Why did that thing seem so intent on me. It seemed like it came right for me, barreling out of the depths, how did it know I was there, and why was it so interested? Surely there is easier prey in the ocean.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Transporting us back might not be completely within the rules of the Test.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
"What was Ishamal like, back when he was Mereniel?"

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Question: If you transport me to Zepath, will my offerings still be pleasing to El?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Azzazel drinks, scoffs, grins and otherwise does not answer all of the following questions:

quote:

1. What are the Melachim?

2. Do you know Xuriel?

3. Who is El?

6. Who is Ashera?

Who is Mereniel?

Who is Xuriel?

Anyways, is it actually magic or divine aid which makes the effects?

quote:

4. How long ago did you meet Ishamal?
"Quite a while I should say!"

quote:

5. Why do few men of Zepath think well of you?
"I don't know! Ask them! Paranoid manimals, sceptical of my benevolent nature!"

quote:

Azz. EL HA MELECH KOL HA OLAM! What does this mean?
"If you understood how CRUDE that sounds coming out of your mouth, Creature...." he shakes his head with mild disgust "but you have me in a good mood, I was roaring with laughter at your little escape! Well done! It might mean to manimal, and this is CRUDE at best... El, king of the world... I feel dirty even translating such primitive meat flap jabberings, yuck!"

quote:

If I was given a divine command to "Prepare for Years of Hardship". What should I do?
Azzazel laughs. "YOU think you received a divine command? Well, thats for you to figure out then!"

quote:

Could you do it with interpretive dance? Or by Myeeeeeeeh-ing like a goat?
He strokes his beard, one any hero would be jealous of and after a moment of deep concentration says "Perhaps".

quote:

Question for Az: Why did that thing seem so intent on me. It seemed like it came right for me, barreling out of the depths, how did it know I was there, and why was it so interested? Surely there is easier prey in the ocean.
"Perhaps you taste good? Nibble nibble nibble" he says while waving his fingers at you, then laughs and drinks from his goblet.

quote:

"What was Ishamal like, back when he was Mereniel?"
"Nice try, Creature."

quote:

Question: If you transport me to Zepath, will my offerings still be pleasing to El?
"The men of Zepath will not know."

Absum
May 28, 2013

Question for Azzazel: Who is our father?

I assume he won't answer though.

Question for Diog: Is using Google (translate) for the Godspeak cheating?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Wow, no, we are not accepting transport back to the city. We're getting better at this surviving thing and we're sure as hell not half-assing the trip by accepting straight-up passage.

Healing Snarls on the other hand is totally cool - it's not HIS trial, after all.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Azzazel is one of the most 'civilized' beings we have encountered. Our relationship to him is one of an amusing Creature and raconteur. We are not 'enthralled' because we managed to tell him amusing stories about Ishamal. If we did not know those stories or we told them really badly we might be in a very different relationship with him. He gets bored and is apparently not a Grigori because this is more entertaining, and whatever other reasons. This also means he is a trickster and can't be 'trusted' exactly, but that does not mean we cannot treat with him.

Azzazel! (Pant, pant, pant). What a pleasure to see something with only two eyes!

A Thank you so much. (Pant, pant, pant). Ha, ha! That was something of a run. We seem to have lost the club we made from that jackal that killed your goat. (Split drink with Snarls.). Inconvenient really. I bet we looked pretty heroic running for our lives naked through the forest! Managed to piss that thing right off though.

It is so kind of you to say you feel we have done enough and who would know better? Thank you for your offer of transportation. We would be grateful if you could heal Snarls and then we will make our way back. It is kind of you to offer. (Pant, pant)

One question. We lost our only real weapon, as we mentioned. We have managed to hold on to the horns from your goat and weren't quite sure what to do with them. We were thinking of using them to make a bow. Of course we really have no idea how to go about that or make arrows, but we were wondering would it be acceptable to you if we were to use them in this way? I hope we dont botch it and ruin the horns. That would be a real shame. We will probably want some sort of armament for the couple of weeks it will take us to get back, should we survive that, so just thought we would ask about those horns. (Pant)

Q We did not receive direct aid because that is not how it works. There is a strong relationship between prayer, sacrifice and deed, but it is not direct instrumentality. It relies on our resolve and we have been told this directly by Tudiya and indirectly by Ishamal.

The prayers and sacrifice are like a bank account or channel. Without our resolve no aid is possible. With our resolve things happen outside of or in addition to simple material cause and effect. Furthermore, it is not just our own prayers, but includes prayers of others for us. Thus if we make it back we must tell our Mother (should she still be alive) that her prayers helped us.

We believe that prayer and rites create the possibility for aid, but do not guarantee it like some deal with a merchant. It is not neurotic requests for a divine entity to bail us out or fix some boo-boo and make it better. Divine entities do not exactly 'need' something from us. Manifestation of aid requires our resolve and perhaps even openness to receiving such aid. We do not believe we received aid. We know we did. The nature of it or even the exact means by which that happened remains unclear.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 22, 2013

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Diogines posted:

Yerp. Voting

1. Drink half, pass the other half to snarls.

2. No on the offer of transport for us. Heal snarls instead please. Infact, instead of just healing him, give him a boon of life as long as ours as well as healing him.

3. Prayer is prayer. El moves in mysterious ways (I think we've heard this in church). No change in our belief in El.

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 22, 2013

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Yerp. Voting

1. Drink half, pass the other half to snarls.

2. No on the offer of transport for us. Heal snarls instead please. Infact, instead of just healing him, give him a boon of life as long as ours as well as healing him.

3. Prayer is prayer. El moves in mysterious ways (I think we've heard this in church). No change in our belief in El.

Voting ditto. Heal Snarls, but boon him if possible.

Azzazel's response to "Will my sacrifice still be pleading to El if you transport me back?"

Diogines posted:

Ok, so him transporting us will most likely ruin our offerings and make this whole trip nearly pointless.

edit: Just clearing up my votes.
1. G. Split drink with Snarls. Half us, half Snarls.
2. Heal Snarls, please.
3. J. El may have been helping my luck in dodging those trees.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 23, 2013

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Are we still naked. If so, please put our clothes on.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
1. A
2. Accept We've gone through with our trial. We have our sacrifice. If I remember correctly, the trial only required (Tudiya's words here) that we accept no aid from Men of Zepath. As Azzazel is neither a man, or of Zepath, I think we can safely accept his offer and go home. We'll get help for Snarls there.
3. Q: Of course they mattered, we're alive aren't we?

QUESTIONS FOR OURSELVES/DIOG:

Could you remind us of the Rules & Regulations of the trial, as told to us by Tudiya earlier?

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

We've been over the required month already, and have been told not to go to the men of Zepath for aid. Azz definitely isn't a man from Zepath, and we've already done a hell of a lot more than your average person. I don't see this offer as significantly cheapening our accomplishments. On the other hand, it would spare our poor mother another 3 weeks of suffering. I think it might be worth taking the offer for that alone. She's been through enough, and we really need to start treating her better

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
If we accept the offer of transportation the Grigori will know. No men of Zepath, but 'Watchers' will know. This is even potentially the indirect means by which Kings know the minds of men. It would please Azz to play tricks on Grigori when he can get away with it.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Right, I'll ask more questions as I think of them, but here's my voting for now:

1. D. I was originally going to vote for A because what the hell, it's a cup of goddamn juice and Azzazel doesn't really seem to be about stealing souls in secret. These recent responses about "testing" and "Nobody in Zepath will know" have put me back on my guard, though - seems we ought to preserve the sanctity of the test so far as we go. Snarls is probably fine, though!

2. "Thanks for the offer, but I kinda want to sightsee a little bit on the way home, y'know? Could be handy if I ever needed to come out this way again. That said, I'd appreciate it if you helped fix up poor Snarls here - don't reckon he'll have much fun playing tourist with a bum leg."

The real reason, of course, is as above - gotta stay true to the test, but Snarls shouldn't have to suffer.

3. J. El works in subtle and mysterious ways. Nobody said El had to be a literal lightning bolt every time he manifests. That said, maybe he helped guide our feet while we ran. Or maybe he was just keeping an eye on us or preventing even worse stuff from happening. Who knows? Maybe he helped, is the thing, and we wouldn't want to be ungrateful if he did help. Speaking of which, we must remember to set up some particular special sacrifice later on top of our manhood offering to thank El for the help.

On a side note, it occurs to me that to a degree we must be torturing Azzazel a wee bit - he loves to feast on the sorrow and grief of parting with a much-loved one, and the only thing we ever use his gifts for is to help Snarls and refuse to give Snarls to him. Just call us Tantalus!

By the way, Diog, question for you: The italicized "Pain" and "Tired" and whatnot in the last few updates - what is that? Our body talking to ourselves? Snarls looking down? Something else?

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

1: C

2: No, hell no, take nothing from this guy. According to him, the two best things in the world are goats and heartbreaking loss. I like 'im, but he's scummy by nature. He's also admitted that it's his job to test people on this trial.

Don't be rude, we are still guests, but firmly decline, put yer drat clothes on, haul Snarls up in both arms and start ruckin' back to Zepath.

3: Q. EL does not intervene directly, we know this. He sends Melachim to help, doesn't he? And hey look, so happens we practically ran headlong into a six-fingered, winged being.

Apparently he's kinda-sorta Fallen, but if he's acting as part of the manhood trial, then he's still an instrument of El's will, whether he likes it or not.

UppaTree fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 22, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

UppaTree posted:

1: C

2: No, hell no, take nothing from this guy. According to him, the two best things in the world are goats and heartbreaking loss. I like 'im, but he's scummy by nature. He's also admitted that it's his job to test people on this trial.

Don't be rude, we are still guests, but firmly decline, put yer drat clothes on, haul Snarls up in both arms and start ruckin' back to Zepath.

3: Q. EL does not intervene directly, we know this. He sends Melachim to help, doesn't he? And hey look, so happens we practically ran headlong into a six-fingered, winged being.

Apparently he's kinda-sorta Fallen, but if he's acting as part of the manhood trial, then he's still an instrument of El's will, whether he likes it or not.

Heroes are apparently more likely than Melechim or Ophanim. That is, it will be possible that when some one prays or asks for aid, El will send us (El help the poor soul that gets us as an answer to their prayers).

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Is Enkidel really ready to go back to Zepath yet?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

OhYo posted:

Is Enkidel really ready to go back to Zepath yet?

The jackal skull was always a decent offering, and we still have that PLUS a few pearls AND we've been out late anyhow.

Comparatively, staying near the sea means staying near Eyescream. gently caress that noise, we're coming home.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Absum posted:

Question for Azzazel: Who is our father?

I assume he won't answer though.
He laughs and does not answer.

Absum posted:

Question for Diog: Is using Google (translate) for the Godspeak cheating?
He laughs and does not answer!

quote:

Are we still naked. If so, please put our clothes on.
You are indeed, sans your sandals, completely naked. Azzazel does not seem to care. Minivote. Get dressed?

quote:

Could you remind us of the Rules & Regulations of the trial, as told to us by Tudiya earlier?
Do not enter Zepath for a month. Do not seek aid from the men of Zepath. Return with an offering worthy of El or do not return at all.

Last night was a full moon and you left on a full moon so it has been a month and a day.

Returning on foot will take you about three weeks, maybe a month.

.... and it looks like at this rate you are going back on foot because you are worried about... what exactly? Clearly not the agony your mother will endure thinking you may be dead already. You do not casually disregard that fact, you do not even think about it, after all, all that matters is your trial going well.

quote:

By the way, Diog, question for you: The italicized "Pain" and "Tired" and whatnot in the last few updates - what is that? Our body talking to ourselves? Snarls looking down? Something else?
It was not your body talking to yourself, nor was it Snarls communicating by gestures.

As you consider it...

Tired. Home now?

Snarls looks up at you with sad puppy dog eyes.

Azzazel laughs. Once.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ah, Snarls learned to communicate with us telepathically. Yay!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

"Azzazel, did you do something to my dog?"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Think about this for a second. Azzazel has been a cool guy so far, but he's a trickster. If we ask for this, Enkindel could easily end up with a lifespan as long as a dog's, or at the very least he'll die the moment Snarls does.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I did joke in my post, "Heal my dog please, making him immortal and strong enough to pull a wagon would be awesome too, while you're at it."

Minivote: Yeah, let's get dressed.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Azzazel is a fallen angel, aka the thing devils are made of :siren:

Snarls isn't psychically talking to us. We're tired, lost our weapon and camp, and just got attacked by an Elder God. Azzazel is trying to trick us into failing our test when we're at our most vulnerable. Mt. Har is where El and the Melachim live, and also where the souls of the dead reside. Call it paradise, if you will, and Azzazel got kicked out of it. We don't want to owe this guy a favor, ever, and that includes asking him for transportation or asking him to heal our dog. (Dio said Snarls will probably heal on his own anyway).

Ask Azzazel: "You quit, huh? So... What did the big guy fire you for?"

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
Yeah, changing my vote to 1)C, decline politely. Nothing's ever free with this guy, he definitely wants something. Do let him heal Snarls though.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Minivote. Get dressed?

Has Azz noticed or otherwise seen our collected items? Pearls and stuff hidden in our bundle? He may have supernatural powers and know it all already, but I need to know if there's a chance he doesn't know, we hide them till we're out of his sight.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Diogines posted:

"I am the Tester here, Creature! I will not answer such a preposterous question! Besides! Isn't it far more fun if I give you just enough doubt to wonder?"

This is definitely a test. Accepting a teleport will not turn out well for us.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Ask Azzazel: "So you are the Tester, Azzazel? Do you test everyone who comes through your territory as directly as you have tested me? Has every member of the line of Zepa seen you?"

OrangeOrbit
Apr 27, 2008
Fun Shoe
1. A
2. Let's go home, we're being a terrible son
3. L

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Minivote. Put clothes on. I assume we would do this in the next post anyways (unless Enkidel really likes feeling the breeze on his skin).

Another option. We could ask Azz to teleport Snarls home. I don't want to do that, since I think we will need Snarls for our trek home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

To Azzazel: What had three eyes, loves to eat goat and was crushed barehanded by a manimal?

Then we show him the skull yelling THIS GUY!

E: I think it is time to cover up the ol jackal and goats. get dressed.