Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Got my Straight Talk (AT&T) SIM Card and put it into my (factory unlocked) iPhone 5 after trimming it down. Connects to 4G and I can make calls just fine. Just noticed that imessage and FaceTime are not activating though. This seems to be a common problem? So I've tried resetting my network settings, turning the phone and iMessages/FT on off, etc. I'm still stuck trying to activate.

Try it with airplane mode on, and wifi on. Dunno why, that's what I read. I've got a 4s that I've been trying to jailbreak/unlock using a netersim, but it just tries to call to the polish activation servers, which sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

SaNChEzZ posted:

Try it with airplane mode on, and wifi on. Dunno why, that's what I read. I've got a 4s that I've been trying to jailbreak/unlock using a netersim, but it just tries to call to the polish activation servers, which sucks.

Trying this right now (after rebooting the phone) and it's still waiting to be activated. Does anyone even here have an AT&T straight talk sim in their iPhone and have iMessages activated?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Trying this right now (after rebooting the phone) and it's still waiting to be activated. Does anyone even here have an AT&T straight talk sim in their iPhone and have iMessages activated?

I have an AT&T straight talk sim in a relative's iPhone and iMessage is activated.

I had issues activating it once, just tried many times until it worked. Make sure you have the APN settings correct.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Weird, I just turned on my MacBook Pro (I'm signed into FaceTime/iMessages on there too) and suddenly it just activated. Got a small popup on my computer that I'm now registered with iMessages/FaceTime with the new number and it works on my iPhone now too.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hopefully they wrangle the shortcodes thing with AIO soon. It's playing hell with Hangouts' voice call integration.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

Hopefully they wrangle the shortcodes thing with AIO soon. It's playing hell with Hangouts' voice call integration.

You mean using the Hangouts app to call or using Hangouts to call from a computer?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Does anyone know about Freedom Pop?
Does it only Use LTE towers, or does it use all sprint +LTE, if it's only LTE that's going to suck. If its sprint +LTE then I"m all about it and I can get away with low mins +2gb and my wife can get away with free data +unlimited data.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Just moved to AIO. Just a warning, make sure you save your packing slip that ships with it, because apparently there is no way to pull the number they gave you from anything else.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TLG James posted:

Just moved to AIO. Just a warning, make sure you save your packing slip that ships with it, because apparently there is no way to pull the number they gave you from anything else.

It should be on the website too.

I think you, The Entire Universe, and I are the only 3 people in Omaha, NE with AIO. :v: Do you have a Nexus 4 too? hah

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ha, so my wife has an old rear end at&t plan that has "unlimited" text...as long as it's just at&t to at&t proper. As soon as I switched over to aio she started getting charged for our texts.

Whoops! She's about to switch to aio anyway so it should be fine.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just switched to Ting in Providence, its not bad signal is about the same as Verizon just a lack of 4G is kind of a bummer.

4G worked pretty good in Boston though.

It's also unfortunate that Sprint won't be supporting 4.3 on the Galaxy Nexus :(

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

ThermoPhysical posted:

It should be on the website too.

I think you, The Entire Universe, and I are the only 3 people in Omaha, NE with AIO. :v: Do you have a Nexus 4 too? hah

In order to make an account to look at the number, you need the phone number already.

It's a great system.

No Nexus 4 though. I travel a lot for my job, I'd die without my 64 gig microsd.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I ended up picking up a used Samsung Galaxy SII for Virgin Mobile on ebay for a drat good deal. Flashing it to Cyanogenmod 10.1 was a bit trickier, but I managed to get it done and all my apps set up.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
If I went with the $30 T-Mobile plan, could I also buy one of the 1000 minute blocks that last all year to cover myself? I usually use about 200 minutes a month.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

PurpleJesus posted:

If I went with the $30 T-Mobile plan, could I also buy one of the 1000 minute blocks that last all year to cover myself? I usually use about 200 minutes a month.
No.
You would just purchase more than $30 of t-mobile credit each month, and the extra minutes get charged at 10 cents each.
Autopay has the option to autopay to x dollars over your plan each month, just to make it easy. So if you use your $30 for a plan and an extra 36 minutes, it would autopay for $33.60 to put you back to your plan+10 amount.

Monthly 4G is still PRE-paid, so you have to have money in the account before you can use extra minutes.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.

ilkhan posted:

No.
You would just purchase more than $30 of t-mobile credit each month, and the extra minutes get charged at 10 cents each.
Autopay has the option to autopay to x dollars over your plan each month, just to make it easy. So if you use your $30 for a plan and an extra 36 minutes, it would autopay for $33.60 to put you back to your plan+10 amount.

Monthly 4G is still PRE-paid, so you have to have money in the account before you can use extra minutes.

Thanks for the answer. One more question: If I threw $40 in there and only used $35, would the $5 carry over to the next month?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

PurpleJesus posted:

Thanks for the answer. One more question: If I threw $40 in there and only used $35, would the $5 carry over to the next month?

Yes. Just throw $60 on your first month and setup a recurring $30 every month. This will last you until you use an extra 300 minutes. There's no need to buy an extra 1000 minutes as you get the same price at 10 cents per.

The only other thing to keep in mind is you might be charged sales tax, so when you sign up for $30 per month you might get charged like $32.50 or whatever you local sales tax rate is.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

PurpleJesus posted:

Yes. Though, I try to avoid putting in more than I use or it just keeps carrying over and suddenly TMobile has $20+ of mine that's just sitting there. I've had to lessen how much is going in lately to use up some of that balance.

And, also, you don't get that money back if you close your account. So, no point in letting TMobile hold onto more than you need them to.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Thanks for this thread; I would have never found Ting and I would probably still be using a dumbphone duck-taped to an ipod for the next two years.

I also got my parents and one sibling off their $80/mo plans so thats cool too.

There is a goon owned prepaid service with a thread in SA-Mart. Thought I'd mention it here since it doesn't seem to be getting much love as far as I can tell from the post count. TextNow

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
How the gently caress do I cancel my Straight Talk plan?

I've got a recurring payment, and there doesn't seem to be a "cancel" option.

I can't just remove the CC info, either, because of this:

quote:

NOTE: You may remove any payment method not associated to a recurring payment plan. If it's associated with a recurring payment plan, first change the assigned phones to another credit card.

So I add another payment option, remove the first CC, but then I'm in the same boat as before!

gently caress, I hate when companies make you call them to cancel service, because it takes ten loving minutes of saying,
"No, I don't want any offers, yes, I really want to cancel, just cancel it...no, just cancel...for the love of God, cancel my loving service right the gently caress now!"

And ST is even worse than most companies, since I know from the couple of times I've called them it's a mess of automated menus and holding until you get to a call center in Asia.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

How the gently caress do I cancel my Straight Talk plan?

I've got a recurring payment, and there doesn't seem to be a "cancel" option.

I can't just remove the CC info, either, because of this:

So I add another payment option, remove the first CC, but then I'm in the same boat as before!

gently caress, I hate when companies make you call them to cancel service, because it takes ten loving minutes of saying,
"No, I don't want any offers, yes, I really want to cancel, just cancel it...no, just cancel...for the love of God, cancel my loving service right the gently caress now!"

And ST is even worse than most companies, since I know from the couple of times I've called them it's a mess of automated menus and holding until you get to a call center in Asia.

You have to call them to remove your CC info, then just let it lapse.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

ThermoPhysical posted:

You have to call them to remove your CC info, then just let it lapse.

Can't you just port your number away?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tedronai66 posted:

Can't you just port your number away?

You can do that too but they'll still have your CC info. I wouldn't trust them with it as Virgin Mobile tried charging me before when I left them and forgot to remove my CC info. Who knows if ST will try the same thing.

It IS partly Walmart after all. :v:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So depending on this AT&T acquisition of Leap, AIO may shut down haha

http://www.channelpartnersonline.com/news/2013/10/at-t-to-shut-down-aio-wireless-move-customers-to-cricket.aspx

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

This isn't that surprising. AT&T always meant to merge Cricket with AIO when they got control, they said it before but no one paid much attention. Since AT&T isn't going to alienate both the GSM of AIO and the CDMA of Cricket, it looks like they'll rename AIO to Cricket and add in Cricket's CDMA customers. It'll pretty much be like Straight Talk but with Leap Wireless (CDMA) and AT&T (GSM).

Cricket, while known as a "ghetto" prepaid, has much more recognition than AIO ever had. It makes sense to rename it to something more well known.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

This isn't that surprising. AT&T always meant to merge Cricket with AIO when they got control, they said it before but no one paid much attention. Since AT&T isn't going to alienate both the GSM of AIO and the CDMA of Cricket, it looks like they'll rename AIO to Cricket and add in Cricket's CDMA customers. It'll pretty much be like Straight Talk but with Leap Wireless (CDMA) and AT&T (GSM).

Cricket, while known as a "ghetto" prepaid, has much more recognition than AIO ever had. It makes sense to rename it to something more well known.

Ugh. Cricket's got lovely CS, don't they?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ugh. Cricket's got lovely CS, don't they?

They have stores when things go wrong, at least. Their CS is bad, but no where NEAR as bad as Straight Talk. At least you can go speak to someone face to face with them. There's also the seedy as gently caress Tobacco and Phones 4 Less dotting Omaha for Cricket-based stuff. However, there are also Cricket stores popping up too so there's that.

The Cricket HQ on 72nd is always crowded but the customer service there was fine (they gave free take-all-you-want cookies once to apologize for the wait :3:). It's the over-the-phone stuff that's bad.

I was on Cricket as my first carrier, the worst thing about them was their data was pretty lovely. The browser always lead to some Cricket-owned page as the homescreen, you had to do some work to change it. But this was with dumbphones so who knows how they are now.

What's funny is, Apple had AIO up on a slide during their presentation today. :v: This kind of makes them look stupid since AIO will most likely be going away for Cricket.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 22, 2013

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

They have stores when things go wrong, at least. Their CS is bad, but no where NEAR as bad as Straight Talk. At least you can go speak to someone face to face with them. There's also the seedy as gently caress Tobacco and Phones 4 Less dotting Omaha for Cricket-based stuff. However, there are also Cricket stores popping up too so there's that.

The Cricket HQ on 72nd is always crowded but the customer service there was fine (they gave free take-all-you-want cookies once to apologize for the wait :3:). It's the over-the-phone stuff that's bad.

I was on Cricket as my first carrier, the worst thing about them was their data was pretty lovely. The browser always lead to some Cricket-owned page as the homescreen, you had to do some work to change it. But this was with dumbphones so who knows how they are now.

What's funny is, Apple had AIO up on a slide during their presentation today. :v: This kind of makes them look stupid since AIO will most likely be going away for Cricket.

Wait, near Dodge? That't not just a "BRING ME YOUR STOLEN PHONES" shady flash/repair shop?

Ugh. I might just cave and head to gophone if this poo poo happens. God knows how bad the data will get loving wrecked with a merge. It would be like ATT to just toss everyone onto the heap of poo poo that is Cricket's data service after luring them in with Aio.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Their fcc filings seem to indicate that they want leap customers to get new phones. I don't really care if it's cricket if the prices are the same or it's just a name change.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TLG James posted:

Their fcc filings seem to indicate that they want leap customers to get new phones. I don't really care if it's cricket if the prices are the same or it's just a name change.

I'm less concerned about the price and name than I am about the data speed. Aio's had nice reliable data and from all indicators Cricket's data is a hellish nightmare. Granted, that is probably because it's Sprint's backend. If they're going to keep the infrastructure and just heap everyone from Aio into it after switching over to GSM, it's not going to be any better unless they cause a mass exodus by telling the current customers they need to get new phones.

I wish T-Mo had coverage here.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Leap doesn't have any infrastructure, they're an MVNO. AT&T is a GSM company, worst case scenario they kick all the CDMA people off of cricket and move everything to AT&T, but they'll probably just operate two products, just like Straight Talk does.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FISHMANPET posted:

Leap doesn't have any infrastructure, they're an MVNO. AT&T is a GSM company, worst case scenario they kick all the CDMA people off of cricket and move everything to AT&T, but they'll probably just operate two products, just like Straight Talk does.

They're planning on keeping the Cricket brand and merging Aio's userbase into it, and canning the Aio brand. Cricket is currently a CDMA carrier and as such their customers have no effect on ATT's quality of service or traffic. Taking on those millions of customers means that much more traffic is suddenly on the network, and unless ATT compensates for that it will result in a big ol' Net10-scale shitheap.

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

FISHMANPET posted:

Leap definitely does have infrastructure. As far as I know they still have customers use their network where it exists instead of Sprint. It's CDMA with LTE in some places.

EDIT:

They're planning on keeping the Cricket brand and merging Aio's userbase into it, and canning the Aio brand. Cricket is currently a CDMA carrier and as such their customers have no effect on ATT's quality of service or traffic. Taking on those millions of customers means that much more traffic is suddenly on the network, and unless ATT compensates for that it will result in a big ol' Net10-scale shitheap.
I wouldn't be surprised for them to follow T-Mobile's approach with MetroPCS and start offering HSPA/LTE Cricket phones and let the current customer base migrate on their own so that they can do a gradual migration of the Cricket spectrum to the AT&T network and and replace the old CDMA equipment with HSPA/LTE stuff as necessary.

Kupo! fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 23, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Wait, near Dodge? That't not just a "BRING ME YOUR STOLEN PHONES" shady flash/repair shop?

Ugh. I might just cave and head to gophone if this poo poo happens. God knows how bad the data will get loving wrecked with a merge. It would be like ATT to just toss everyone onto the heap of poo poo that is Cricket's data service after luring them in with Aio.

That's the one! :v: They're cool there. Busy as gently caress, but cool.

However, remember this is AT&T, not America Movil. America Movil is pretty much king of prepaid right now what with Net10, Straight Talk, TracFone, and a few more I'm not remembering. They could care less if ST or Net10 died. They still have TracFone and the others.

AT&T is trying to break into prepaid with the creation of Go Phone, then AIO, and buying Cricket Wireless and renaming AIO to Cricket. I doubt they'll drop GSM just like that since that means they'll lose customers BACK to ST or Net10. They'll probably do what Wark said and just start giving cheapie GSM phones to current Cricket customers and slowly changing that CDMA into HSPA/LTE.

This means more GSM coverage in multiple places where T-Mobile can't/won't even touch.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I was planning on switching to AIO when I got a N5 since T-mobile has shitall data coverage in Delaware :negative:

Hopefully they come out the other side of this as a non-hosed, GSM prepaid, I have better things to do with my time than gently caress around with gophone cards.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

That's the one! :v: They're cool there. Busy as gently caress, but cool.

However, remember this is AT&T, not America Movil. America Movil is pretty much king of prepaid right now what with Net10, Straight Talk, TracFone, and a few more I'm not remembering. They could care less if ST or Net10 died. They still have TracFone and the others.

AT&T is trying to break into prepaid with the creation of Go Phone, then AIO, and buying Cricket Wireless and renaming AIO to Cricket. I doubt they'll drop GSM just like that since that means they'll lose customers BACK to ST or Net10. They'll probably do what Wark said and just start giving cheapie GSM phones to current Cricket customers and slowly changing that CDMA into HSPA/LTE.

This means more GSM coverage in multiple places where T-Mobile can't/won't even touch.

It also means more congestion unless ATT devotes more bandwidth to their prepaid business which, while a growing market, is not the revenue generator postpaid typically is and as such is likely to get the short end of the stick. Leap/Cricket might have some towers of their own but as an MVNO they rely primarily on Sprint and augment that with their own towers if needed, meaning their own towers aren't sufficient to bear the full weight of their userbase. Since they weren't on ATT to begin with, that's x million new customers the network needs to accommodate.

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008
So I've had it with Virgin Mobile. I spend 99% of my time in West Los Angeles and their coverage here is absolute poo poo. This morning my wife missed an important call because she was in our kitchen instead of the side of our bedroom that gets reception so that's it, time for a new carrier.

I think I'm just going to bend over and go with 2 LG Optimus Exceeds from Verizon with the 60$/mo unlimited text/talk/2Gb data plan. By all accounts their coverage here seems to be at least twice as good as any other carrier's. I want to keep our numbers, so I'm thinking of porting it over to Google voice-does anyone here have any experience with that? All I really know about it is that it's tying our phone numbers to our Google accounts so we can keep it while jumping from one carrier to another.

I'd like to wait until black friday to see if I can catch any deals, should I port the numbers to GV beforehand or wait until I get the new phones? or does it not even matter?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Is AIO not going to be fast as AT&T's network? My fiance currently has AT&T and even without LTE (iPhone 4S) she gets very fast speeds here in Miami. I'm on sprint (I know) and looking to switch. I've become interested in the whole pre-paid/no contract phenomena, ideally bringing in an unlocked, stock phone of my own. I am between T-Mobile and AIO. What draws me to AIO is the possibility of being on the same fast network as hers, but now I see you guys saying that AIO is not as fast and in fact its own network. If thats the case, then I am suddenly much less interested.

Also, concerning T-Mobile and AIO, which (or both) will work with a unlocked, carrier free HTC One? I am reading totally contradicting reports about its ability to carry T-Mobile's HSPA+ on 1700mhz ASW (I dont even know what I just typed).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gozinbulx posted:

Is AIO not going to be fast as AT&T's network? My fiance currently has AT&T and even without LTE (iPhone 4S) she gets very fast speeds here in Miami. I'm on sprint (I know) and looking to switch. I've become interested in the whole pre-paid/no contract phenomena, ideally bringing in an unlocked, stock phone of my own. I am between T-Mobile and AIO. What draws me to AIO is the possibility of being on the same fast network as hers, but now I see you guys saying that AIO is not as fast and in fact its own network. If thats the case, then I am suddenly much less interested.

Also, concerning T-Mobile and AIO, which (or both) will work with a unlocked, carrier free HTC One? I am reading totally contradicting reports about its ability to carry T-Mobile's HSPA+ on 1700mhz ASW (I dont even know what I just typed).

They cap Aio at 8 mb/s, which is drat fast. If you want faster, by all means go T-mo if you have coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Gozinbulx posted:

The Google Play edition of the HTC One doesn't have the 1700 band for T-Mobile. If you're planning on using the HTC One on T-Mobile, I'd just buy it from T-Mobile. They unlocked mine immediately (I paid in full). I guess the only downside is that you get a bit of T-Mobile bloatware on the phone.

• Locked thread