Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hahaha, after the batshit insane twist on Sunday night's episode of Homeland, I'm almost glad it's getting renewed now. If you'd asked me last week, I'd have said "gently caress that, I hope it gets canned." But they really pulled a whacky trick out of their hat, so I'm gonna stick around and see where it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hahaha, after the batshit insane twist on Sunday night's episode of Homeland, I'm almost glad it's getting renewed now. If you'd asked me last week, I'd have said "gently caress that, I hope it gets canned." But they really pulled a whacky trick out of their hat, so I'm gonna stick around and see where it goes.

poo poo, I better get on catching up on Homeland then.

I swear, no TV show went from "Must Watch" Premier in Season 2 to "I couldn't quite care enough to get it off my DVR" in Season 3.

It wasn't even that the end of Season 2 was that bad. It just didn't grab me and make me want more like Season 1 did.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Thwomp posted:

poo poo, I better get on catching up on Homeland then.

I swear, no TV show went from "Must Watch" Premier in Season 2 to "I couldn't quite care enough to get it off my DVR" in Season 3.

It wasn't even that the end of Season 2 was that bad. It just didn't grab me and make me want more like Season 1 did.
Yeah, the first 3 episodes of this season are like that. They bored me to death for the most part, whereas I loved both Season 1 and Season 2. But they set up the twist that is arguably crazier than anything 24 ever did.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stephen Amell is a pretty funny guy.

Senerio posted:

Amell is on fire releasing videos today!

Announcement!

He was nominated!

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Regardless of how anybody feels about Homeland everybody should be watching Masters of Sex.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Was there a point in TV history where a show would have one director for a whole season or even a series? Why do shows swap around directors instead of having a regular guy/gal?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Was there a point in TV history where a show would have one director for a whole season or even a series? Why do shows swap around directors instead of having a regular guy/gal?

Lots of sitcoms had the same directors. Especially multi-cams.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Lots of sitcoms had the same directors. Especially multi-cams.

Even still?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

zoux posted:

I think it's largely so that they can shoot/prep in parallel. If you're working on a week-to-week basis/tight schedule, you can't be focusing on doing the prep for an episode next week if you're busy directing a different episode this week. Meanwhile, the showrunner/executive producers take on the role of overseeing the season/show as a whole.

I guess it depends on the show, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

I think it's largely so that they can shoot/prep in parallel. If you're working on a week-to-week basis/tight schedule, you can't be focusing on doing the prep for an episode next week if you're busy directing a different episode this week. Meanwhile, the showrunner/executive producers take on the role of overseeing the season/show as a whole.

That actually makes a lot of sense.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

smg77 posted:

Regardless of how anybody feels about Homeland everybody should be watching Masters of Sex.

Agreed. Very solid drama.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Louis CK directed all the episodes of Louie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1492966/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Louis is doing this crazy auteur thing where he is basically in charge of every aspect of his show (I believe he hired an editor starting in s3) so what he's doing is a significant outlier.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I think Louis CK directed all the episodes of Louie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1492966/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

He also did everything else for Louie so its not exactly a regular situation.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

smg77 posted:

Really? AMC Theaters aired promos for it that I'd see every time I went to the movies for a while, but it didn't look like it would be terribly above average.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

thexerox123 posted:

I guess it depends on the show, though.

Yeah, using one director for an entire season of something like Game of Thrones would mean it would take 6 years to make a season.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Really? AMC Theaters aired promos for it that I'd see every time I went to the movies for a while, but it didn't look like it would be terribly above average.

Well it's only like 3 episodes into the 1st season so it has plenty of time to turn to crap like all the other Showtime shows.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Pamela Fryman's directed over 170 episodes of How I Met Your Mother.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jon Cassar directed 59 episodes of 24.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Tom Cherones directed 57 episodes of NewsRadio, nearly 60% of the series. The closest second direct 7.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Nate RFB posted:

I agree, Ozymandias is the real ending of BB and easily my favorite episode in the show. The last two episodes are more of an extended epilogue.

BB's last few episodes does an odd thing where it sort of has it's cake and eats it too W/R/T all the possible ways it could have ended. You get Hank catching Walt, Walt getting Hank killed, Walt (nearly) killing his family, Walt running away and (nearly) dying alone, and Walt coming back, saving Jesse, and dying in a blaze of glory. All of which pretty much covers the range of ways they wanted the show to end.

Personally, the end, while appropriate, seemed a bit too much like crowd-pleasing, but with one exception (the scene at Gretchen's), I didn't have any serious issue with it. I do think the flash-forwards might have, in the end, been a mistake- they kind of made portions of the last episode feel too much like dotting the i's and crossing the t's, and they just seem so... conventional compared to the amazing use of them in S2.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

It's a slow-burner show like Mad Men, but it's acquired a lot of nuance by delving into the pasts of its main characters quite extensively. It's a great look into America before the sexual revolution.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

precision posted:

Wait, what happened at the end of Big Love? I can imagine it being monumentally stupid, and I of course could wiki it, but I'd rather someone tell me in an humorous way worthy of this here comedy website.

Juniper Creek ended, Alby went to prison, Bill lost or was going to lose his seat in the state legislature as well as possibly go to jail, and the family all decided to stick together. Then the neighbor killed him.

It wasn't really a bad ending, the last season was way better than the fourth. You could argue that the ending was a bit of a copout in that Bill didn't actually get to go to prison or suffer too much, but the show was never really about Bill being an evil rear end in a top hat, even though he kind of was.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
A few pages back, but speaking of Johnny Vegas has anyone watched Ideal? I recently bought the box set and just finished watching through all seven series. Really hilarious and surreal sitcom, although I think I appreciate it more since i'm from st helens (where vegas is from), and now live in salford (where the shows set) and its full of local humor.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Doakes posted:

A few pages back, but speaking of Johnny Vegas has anyone watched Ideal? I recently bought the box set and just finished watching through all seven series. Really hilarious and surreal sitcom, although I think I appreciate it more since i'm from st helens (where vegas is from), and now live in salford (where the shows set) and its full of local humor.

You'd probably find more people in the UK TV thread since it wasn't really popular here in North America (even though I've seen some of it). I didn't watch more than a few seasons of it but I always thought it was really neat and unique.

What's also unique is that it turns out Johnny Vegas is kind of an unhealthy character put on my the guy who goes by Johnny Vegas and he doesn't like playing him anymore so he's just doing his own thing with his real name and acting completely un-Vegas-like.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
So Johnny Vegas is/was basically British Larry the Cable Guy?

I had NO idea.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I always felt like the best finale is The Shield's. Not everyone gets what they deserve, but the tragic way everything falls out feels like the only way it could have ended.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah it's really good so far. It's a Showtime show, however, so it will all turn to poo poo in the second season.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

smg77 posted:

Yeah it's really good so far. It's a Showtime show, however, so it will all turn to poo poo in the second season.

Shameless is the lone exception to the rule I suppose. Though I don't really watch many other Showtime shows.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Masters of Sex is awesome so far although it's definitely more of a Mad Men-esque show than something action-packed, and it still doesn't quite feel like it's living up to its full potential. Still the best new drama of the season by a long way.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

Shameless is the lone exception to the rule I suppose. Though I don't really watch many other Showtime shows.

Shameless is exceptional. Shameless demands a long walk after certain first season episodes just to process the emotional red-rear end beatdown it delivers, AND THEN SEASON 2 GETS BETTER.

AND THEN SEASON 3 IS EVEN BETTER.

For the love of God watch Shameless.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Sad that I missed the QI conversation. My ideal panel would probably consist of David Mitchell, Dara O'briain, Jimmy Carr and Bill Bailey/Phil Jupitus. Not a fan of Alan Davies at all anymore. I wish they would stop putting on Ross Noble though. I just dont like his face as stupid as that is, also dont find him particularly funny. He's been part of the reason the last few seasons have seasons have been as I've heard someone sums it up perfectly "Uncle Stephen" corrals the rowdy kids into a room, reads to them from an encyclopedia, while the kids are making silly faces and farting on each other."

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Looks like the movie is a no go - sorry boys, Vince is done. No movie! http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/16/mark-wahlberg-reveals-greed-as-reason-behind-entourage-movie-delay-4148640/.

Hey the cheques all cleared. Movie is back on! http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...i-1226744912513

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

You know, gently caress it, I no longer even care. Because I looked at that picture and thought "this film will have E in it, and will not in fact be a buddy cop film starring Turtle and Ari Gold, so gently caress the whole franchise".

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Vince is doing the movie!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Chamberk posted:

I always felt like the best finale is The Shield's. Not everyone gets what they deserve, but the tragic way everything falls out feels like the only way it could have ended.

The Shield's ending is the one thing that gives me hope for Sons of Anarchy, though it probably doesn't matter considering how much more intentionally silly the latter is.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Chamberk posted:

As depressing as it was, the finale of Southland was actually kind of perfect.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

comes along bort posted:

The Shield's ending is the one thing that gives me hope for Sons of Anarchy, though it probably doesn't matter considering how much more intentionally silly the latter is.

I'm just a little more than halfway through Season 1 of Sons of Anarchy. Am I wrong in thinking it's kind of like Grand Theft Auto the TV Show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Deadpool posted:

You're right Shameless is awesome and just keeps getting better.

• Locked thread