Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

16.2 gigabats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

El Tortuga posted:

We're talking dream Batman games? All I'm gonna say is:

Gotham By Gaslight

This actually made it to an early development stage before being scrapped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65IsSRMi4i0

It seems like a Victorian-era Batman would have to favor the detective aspects more heavily unless they did some steampunk-type gadgets.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Is this a worldwide release on Friday? In other words if I use an Aussie VPN, can I unlock on Thursday?

Just a heads up, on steam it's showing as an October 26th release (Australia) so it may not be the earliest option if you're looking to play ASAP (could be a mistake though? not sure).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Keeku posted:

Just a heads up, on steam it's showing as an October 26th release (Australia) so it may not be the earliest option if you're looking to play ASAP (could be a mistake though? not sure).

Isn't October 26 in Australia October 25 in America?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Just an FYI GMG has confirmed on their Facebook page that they won't be sending out Steam keys until the release date. That's dumb as hell.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Keeku posted:

Aww drat. Looks like the potential earliest unlock will be my (US Pacific) time zone anyway.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Isn't October 26 in Australia October 25 in America?

Yeah pretty much, but our retail stores here are still saying release date is October 25th.

Edit: Ah okay, I get it now, yeah so it will release at the same time on steam in Australia as in the US. However you can probably get it in stores in Australia nearly a day early because of time zones.

Double Edit: Funny though, as the PC version bought in stores probably won't be able to play until steam unlock time anyhow.

Keeku fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 22, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Just an FYI GMG has confirmed on their Facebook page that they won't be sending out Steam keys until the release date. That's dumb as hell.

Fucccccckkkkk.

Well I guess that was a gamble I took when I got it relatively cheaply from them.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3
The multiplayer customization is actually kinda cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-IB0E6a49g

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

seal it with a kiss posted:

Huh. Disappointing that the only Batman skins are the ones from Arkham City and the default Arkham Origins one. The new Robin is kickass though and I like it a lot better than Arkham City Robin.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

The fact that the other Nolan movies didn't get any games should answer that one.

I'd imagine most of it was because WB thought loving Eurocom was capable of making something IP-based where the advertising factor/fun ratio didn't favor the first 99% of the time, even Traveller's Tales tries to stand out as the competent British licensed-shovelware dev most of the time

TDK's tie-in game could've turned out cool given the Pandemic involvement, and considering leaked footage and the fact they filled it's void with The Saboteur a year later, I'd bet the TDK game was basically shaping-up to be The Sabateur. Even Gary Oldman said he was impressed! Gary Oldman!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMseBN51qMg

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DrNutt posted:

Huh. Disappointing that the only Batman skins are the ones from Arkham City and the default Arkham Origins one.

I'm just incredibly glad that the animated series skins are returning (even if animated robin looks a bit chunky), because that means I get to play as fun and visible versions of the characters. I love the Arkham games but the art direction is just a mess of pock-marks, dust and muted colors.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

seal it with a kiss posted:

I can't tell the difference between the default Origins Robin skin and its Origins alt. I know there's a difference but it's flashing too quickly for me to pin it down.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Huh. Disappointing that the only Batman skins are the ones from Arkham City and the default Arkham Origins one. The new Robin is kickass though and I like it a lot better than Arkham City Robin.

This is from the multiplayer beta, there'll be at least a couple more skins like the free New Millenium one.

Plus the DLC, of course.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Action Tortoise posted:

I can't tell the difference between the default Origins Robin skin and its Origins alt. I know there's a difference but it's flashing too quickly for me to pin it down.
e: spoiler tagging this
Yellow cape with grey armor pads
vs
Green cape with green highlights on arms

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I'm just incredibly glad that the animated series skins are returning (even if animated robin looks a bit chunky), because that means I get to play as fun and visible versions of the characters. I love the Arkham games but the art direction is just a mess of pock-marks, dust and muted colors.

I love playing City as the animated Batman because it's just completely incongruous with the rest of the game. "I can't hear you over your chin Master Wayne!"

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Lurdiak posted:

Another reason why I think Silver Age would be fun for Rocksteady's next Batman game is it would give them a chance to try something new with their art direction. Three games with this very gritty style is likely more than enough.

What are you guys expecting in terms of reviews for this game? I'm guessing in the 7-8/10 range. The game really doesn't seem like it's adding or changing much to Arkham City (with itself was a massive improvement on Asylum). I think it'll probably have the best soundtrack of the series (Christopher Drake), but I'm really hoping it gives us some compelling character arcs. The prior two games are basically "Batman solves a fuckton of problems." They've got a good opportunity here to give us a good character-driven story, and I'm hoping they don't blow it.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 23, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Playing Asylum again, I forgot how much I loving love the final Scarecrow encounter where Scarecrow is freaking out over why the fear gas isn't stopping Batman, and cries out in terror,"How can you be doing this..... WHAT are you!?! :gonk:"

:hellyeah:

Orv
May 4, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Another reason why I think Silver Age would be fun for Rocksteady's next Batman game is it would give them a chance to try something new with their art direction. Three games with this very gritty style is likely more than enough.

What are you guys expecting in terms of reviews for this game? I'm guess in the 7-8/10 range. The game really doesn't seem like it's add or changing much to Arkham City (with itself was a massive improvement on Asylum). I think it'll probably have the best soundtrack of the series (Christopher Drake), but I'm really hoping it gives us some compelling character arcs. The prior two games are basically "Batman solves a fuckton of problems." They've got a good opportunity here to give us a good character-driven story, and I'm hoping they don't blow it.

I don't know in terms of solid numbers, but I'm expecting it to get panned for the multiplayer which I will guiltily enjoy until it dies. I have a problem, help me.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Playing Asylum again, I forgot how much I loving love the final Scarecrow encounter where Scarecrow is freaking out over why the fear gas isn't stopping Batman, and cries out in terror,"How can you be doing this..... WHAT are you!?! :gonk:"

:hellyeah:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8mnuj9NpNY

Orv
May 4, 2011
Doesn't Scarecrow also use the "What are you?!" line in Begins?

E: Not Scarecrow. Someone uses it somewhere in the trilogy but I can't remember.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 23, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

What are you guys expecting in terms of reviews for this game? I'm guess in the 7-8/10 range.

The game got a 7 on some website just a while ago.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The game got a 7 on some website just a while ago.
If you're talking about this one: http://draculascave.co/2013/10/22/review-batman-arkham-origins/ it has some wrong information in it. Batman can run in the batcave, and then it goes into a rant about the video game industry.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Yaos posted:

If you're talking about this one: http://draculascave.co/2013/10/22/review-batman-arkham-origins/ it has some wrong information in it. Batman can run in the batcave, and then it goes into a rant about the video game industry.

Ha ha, first he claims that Warner Bros. "pulled the franchise away from Rocksteady" and then says the game should have been called "Batman: Gotham City - The Early Years." I mean, I'm expecting this game to get 7s and 8s on the review circuit regardless but this guy doesn't even sound competent.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

DrNutt posted:

There's an awful lack of Batman Beyond in that video.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

hiddenriverninja posted:

There's an awful lack of Batman Beyond in that video.

Good, because that costume looked awful on brick shithouse Bruce Wayne in Arkham City. :colbert:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DrNutt posted:

Good, because that costume looked awful on brick shithouse Bruce Wayne in Arkham City. :colbert:

Despite having a cool cape effect, it did look lovely(and vaguely like some kind of fetish gear). It really should have been animated-style.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Here's something you'll probably appreciate from the Mobile game.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
So, should I be worried that there seems to be a media review blackout going into the game launch ?

Was the NDA lifted on those who got the mail-out beta keys garnished by Xbox & DC Comics.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Review embargos are generally only lifted early if they're sure that absolutely everyone has good things to say about the game, so if it's down to the wire expect otherwise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hal_2005 posted:

So, should I be worried that there seems to be a media review blackout going into the game launch ?

Was the NDA lifted on those who got the mail-out beta keys garnished by Xbox & DC Comics.

No. It is really really common for games to do this nowdays. Having embargos the day or release or shortly before is commonplace including for games that get universally good reviews.

There is absolutely nothing to read from review embargos. They exist for good games and for bad games. They're just a thing that exists to assure everyone is getting reviews out at the same time. Occasionally you'll get exclusive early reviews and THOSE are something to watch out for because they're likely to be overly positive but embargos themselves are not anything.

Early word on the game is that it's effectively more Arkham. Even the negative review above basically amounts to "it's a really fun game that is just more of the same." There is a chance it may have glaring negative flaws that are still under wraps but if so it hasn't leaked out.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 23, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Orv posted:

Doesn't Scarecrow also use the "What are you?!" line in Begins?

E: Not Scarecrow. Someone uses it somewhere in the trilogy but I can't remember.

A random punk says it in Batman '89, you might be thinking of that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

raditts posted:

It's so hard to keep track anymore. Maybe I'm Batman.

Actually that makes me think that what I want to see Rocksteady do is make a Batman game exploring the idea that he's just as crazy as the villains. That he needs to go out at night and punch people just as much as they do.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

raditts posted:

I hear this every time I listen to "The Future" from the 89 Batman soundtrack.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I'm really, really on the fence about Arkham Origins. I enjoyed the other two games a lot, but this one looks like it's just not doing anything interesting with the story. But, on the other hand, the multiplayer sounds like an awesome addition to the game.

Is there some comprehensive multiplayer footage out there anywhere I can check out to see if it's worth picking up on that alone? Like any other non-CoD multiplayer game I'd expect the multiplayer crowd to die out a month or two post-launch, so I figure if it's any good I need to be there on day one or just not bother at all.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

blackguy32 posted:

I hear this every time I listen to "The Future" from the 89 Batman soundtrack.

It's still my favorite Batman movie, thanks to the amazing soundtrack and Michael Keaton at the top of his game.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Whenever a new Batman movie is announced there's always a rumor/fan wish that Keaton returns playing a villain. The guy's like 54 now, they should have him play Old Bruce in a Beyond movie now that Clint Eastwood is too senile and Michael Ironside is a pacifist.

raditts posted:

Tom Wilkinson's character asks this in Begins also during the drug bust scene.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 23, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

...Michael Ironside is a pacifist.

Is that why he's not voicing Sam anymore? :smith:

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

Here's a clearer shot of the free One Million skin from their Facebook page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Orv posted:

Actually that makes me think that what I want to see Rocksteady do is make a Batman game exploring the idea that he's just as crazy as the villains. That he needs to go out at night and punch people just as much as they do.

I always liked the idea that Batman was actually thrown in Arkham city with the rest of the crazies, and the whole story was just his mind trying to justify it or whatever :allears:

• Locked thread