Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

CaptainHollywood posted:

I'm just a little more than halfway through Season 1 of Sons of Anarchy. Am I wrong in thinking it's kind of like Grand Theft Auto the TV Show?

By season three it's turned into something much closer to a Duke Nukem Forever. From there it rushes headlong into Daikatana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would watch Sons of Anarchy if it had a character called Superfly Johnson.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

CaptainHollywood posted:

I'm just a little more than halfway through Season 1 of Sons of Anarchy. Am I wrong in thinking it's kind of like Grand Theft Auto the TV Show?

It's more like As The World Turns with Harleys.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Hey guys, I just made a new OP in Rapidly Going Deaf about my favorite podcast, The Thrilling Adventure Hour.

I think a lot of you guys will enjoy it, not only for its old-timey radio, all story format, but because it has a whole fuckton of guest stars (seriously, just click on that) that you know and love, as well as some regular players like Paul F. Tomkins, Paget Brewster, Marc Evan Jackson and an occasional heap of Nathan Fillion.

Check out the thread for a lot more information!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Annakie posted:

Hey guys, I just made a new OP in Rapidly Going Deaf about my favorite podcast, The Thrilling Adventure Hour.

I think a lot of you guys will enjoy it, not only for its old-timey radio, all story format, but because it has a whole fuckton of guest stars (seriously, just click on that) that you know and love, as well as some regular players like Paul F. Tomkins, Paget Brewster, Marc Evan Jackson and an occasional heap of Nathan Fillion.

Check out the thread for a lot more information!

If you think you'd like TV without the pictures listen to this. It's funny stuff.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Is anyone planning or or did anyone already make a thread for White Collar? Is anyone watching it this season?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tupping Liberty posted:

Is anyone planning or or did anyone already make a thread for White Collar? Is anyone watching it this season?

White Collar thread. Not a lot of posts in it so far and neither me nor Kwyndig will be watching it live this week as we're going to the Rifftrax thing Thursday night.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tupping Liberty posted:

I didn't even realize White Collar was back until my TiVo recorded the season premiere. In fact, I didn't even remember I had a season pass set up.

It's pretty much like any other USA show: enjoyable until you get like three seasons in and realize that every week is pretty much exactly the same. The arc where you weren't sure if Neil was actually gonna betray Suit or not was pretty awesome, but then it just went back to the status quo (or did it? Last thing I remember was the warehouse full of Nazi treasure... though maybe that was before the betrayal arc? I honestly can't remember).

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

muscles like this? posted:

White Collar thread. Not a lot of posts in it so far and neither me nor Kwyndig will be watching it live this week as we're going to the Rifftrax thing Thursday night.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I'm finally watching the premier now...

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

lelandjs posted:

It's pretty much like any other USA show: enjoyable until you get like three seasons in and realize that every week is pretty much exactly the same.

But Neal is so dreamy!

I don't mind that it's "routine" or whatever. I watch much less inspired procedurals and enjoy them still.

edit: Holy hell, tonight's Pretty Little Liars was so good I feel 3 degrees less ashamed to be a fan now.

Manos del Sino fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 23, 2013

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

There's something I don't quite understand about HBO/AMC style shows and I figured this would be a good place to ask:

Why do they use so many different directors? Entire seasons often go with at best one or two repeats. I can see it for the older style of self-contained episodes, but with longer serial narrations it seems to me that you would want a consistent authorial style throughout the whole thing.

It doesn't seem like it should be a mere logistical issue because the main actors are there working on every episode (also the producers, costumes, special effects, etc... I don't think there's a separate team for each episode). And even if that were the case, because directing took so much more time than acting, I would then expect to see the same names rotating every few episodes, instead of all the one-shots. Wouldn't the crew perform much better working under directors with whom they are familiar?

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Oct 23, 2013

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can't think of any seasons of cable shows where every episode has a different director. Also, wasn't this exact question already asked in this thread? I definitely read this discussion somewhere last night.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Bown posted:

I can't think of any seasons of cable shows where every episode has a different director. Also, wasn't this exact question already asked in this thread? I definitely read this discussion somewhere last night.
Funny, it was in fact brought up just a page ago. Sorry, I thought it would be something bleeding obvious to regular TV watchers so I didn't go check.

I don't feel "so they can shoot/prep in parallel" covers the whole thing though. Like I said, wouldn't the natural solution be having a rotating team of directors? Why bring up a random established director for one episode and then never again?

e: and yeah, I was a little sloppy in phrasing it. I was looking at Breaking Bad and in the first two seasons Adam Bernstein has two episodes, afterwards Michelle MacLaren gets 2-3 per season, but otherwise it's single names. That felt really odd to me for such a "tight" show. From the way people talk about Vince Gilligan being such a mastermind over BB, I had expected him to be directing the vast majority of the series.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 23, 2013

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Some suprising names pop up as episode directors on series where you don't expect them. For instance John Badham, who made Saturday Night Fever 36 years ao and is directing episodes of Nikita at age 72.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Judging by interviews I've heard with tv directors it mostly comes down to the fact that there's a lot of pre- and post-production required by each director for each episode, which would obviously take way too long if they were the only director on the series.

And yeah, it is always worth paying attention to TV directing credits, since there are plenty of people doing great work across like 5 different shows per season and plenty of people with cool credits on other stuff (like Ernest Dickerson, who does a shitload of TV and was Spike Lee's DP for a long time). Enjoyed that people started to really care about who was directing during the last season of Breaking Bad (Michelle McLaren is a genius though).

GraPar fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 23, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I usually don't recognize any of the director names but I definitely noticed Rian Johnson when his name popped up in Breaking Bad.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Mu Zeta posted:

I usually don't recognize any of the director names but I definitely noticed Rian Johnson when his name popped up in Breaking Bad.

Yeah after the "Fly" episode of Breaking Bad I started paying attention to him. Rian going on to do the "Fifty-One" and above all "Ozymandias" episodes as well as Looper has solidified him as someone to look out for in the future.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lugaloco posted:

Yeah after the "Fly" episode of Breaking Bad I started paying attention to him. Rian going on to do the "Fifty-One" and above all "Ozymandias" episodes as well as Looper has solidified him as someone to look out for in the future.

Watch Brick and the episode of Terriers Rian directed (actually, watch Terriers, period).

[Edit: for some reason I thought he directed the "Change Partners" episode of Terriers, but he didn't. The episode he did direct--"Manifest Destiny"--is also excellent.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 23, 2013

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Despite Showtime's history of totally destroying a show in its second season I'm hopeful that Masters of Sex (like Shameless) will be able to avoid that fate purely because its based on a true story so there shouldn't be much room for executive interfering.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lugaloco posted:

Michelle Maclaren is another one of the Breaking Bad directors to keep an eye on. She directed eleven episodes, including Madrigal and One Minute. She's also directed 4 episodes of GoT and one of TWD, so she's worked on like the three hottest shows of the last couple of years.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Michelle MacLaren is living proof that there is a glass ceiling for female filmmakers in Hollywood. Joe and Anthony Russo have absolutely earned their shot at The Winter Soldier and I can't wait to see their movie, but if the director of Breaking Bad's "Four Days Out" and "One Minute" -- not to mention The Walking Dead's "Guts," a pulverizing hour of TV in its own right -- was a man, Marvel would be on their hands and loving knees trying to bring him on board.

Now that she's got "Gliding Over All," "To'hajille," and a couple of Game of Thrones episodes under her belt, Hollywood's out of excuses. In fact, WB and DC should just put her on Wonder Woman and let her work. Any man they hire to develop it is just going to be an insult as long as she and Kathryn Bigelow draw breath; at least with Bigelow you can claim that she wants to put her Point Break past behind her and focus on serious war dramas.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are we Michelle MacLaren bros....

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I noticed that Roxanne Dawson directed an episode of SHIELD. I'm pretty sure its the same lady who played the half Klingon on Voyager.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

zoux posted:

Are we Michelle MacLaren bros....

Who isn't a Michaelle MacLaren bro?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Doctor Butts posted:

I noticed that Roxanne Dawson directed an episode of SHIELD. I'm pretty sure its the same lady who played the half Klingon on Voyager.

Yes it is, a bunch of Star Trek actors turned into TV directors over the course of the shows, Will Riker is another.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I imagine it's a side effect of just how loving dull a Trek script is that over the course of what must feel like aeons the actors become disillusioned with the profession and spend all their working days wishing they were doing something, anything, else. And the most prominent profession in their proximity is directing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I imagine it's a side effect of just how loving dull a Trek script is that over the course of what must feel like aeons the actors become disillusioned with the profession and spend all their working days wishing they were doing something, anything, else. And the most prominent profession in their proximity is directing.

Most Star Trek actors get their start directing on Star Trek.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I believe that's what I said.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris) is another Voyager actor who mostly directs now.

Apparently, Jonathan Frakes was such an efficient director on TNG that his coworkers nicknamed him "Two Takes Frakes".

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Actors wanting to direct is an old, old joke by now.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

DivisionPost posted:

Any man they hire to develop it is just going to be an insult as long as she and Kathryn Bigelow draw breath; at least with Bigelow you can claim that she wants to put her Point Break past behind her and focus on serious war dramas.

The funny thing is Point Break is a pretty good showcase for her talent. Silly story but an extremely well-made film, as is Blue Steel.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

zoux posted:

Actors wanting to direct is an old, old joke by now.

Some of them are really good at it.

BrooklynBruiser fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 23, 2013

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh no doubt, but you've heard the joke: "What I really want to do is direct..."

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Bryan Cranston is quite good as well. Don't think I can say the same for Jon Hamm, though.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

comes along bort posted:

The funny thing is Point Break is a pretty good showcase for her talent. Silly story but an extremely well-made film, as is Blue Steel.

Oh, yeah, don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see her drop the prestige for a minute and take us for a drive. In fact, I saw Escape Plan this weekend -- okay movie, good if you're just down to see Stallone and Schwarzenegger working together and are expecting absolutely nothing more -- but now that I think of it, that movie was begging for '90s era Bigelow to drop in and tear poo poo up. If she did, it would've fit perfectly alongside Blue Steel and Point Break, but instead it's just a weak wannabe.

(Watch this: with Karma being the way it is, somebody's going to come in and chide me for bitching about Escape Plan.)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was about to say something incredulous but realized I had confused Blue Steel with Blue Thunder. Shut up, I just woke up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

precision posted:

I was about to say something incredulous but realized I had confused Blue Steel with Blue Thunder. Shut up, I just woke up.

You mean Airwolf: The Movie?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Is Choo still working on the forum? I haven't seen him in ages.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1440292/
Richard Ayoade is pretty drat decent too.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ufarn posted:

Bryan Cranston is quite good as well. Don't think I can say the same for Jon Hamm, though.
Poor guy's just stuck in the bubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Davincie posted:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1440292/
Richard Ayoade is pretty drat decent too.

As much as I like him in front of the camera, he really is a fantastic director. I'm assuming you linked to Submarine; TV-wise, Ayoade directed the excellent My Dinner With Andre episode of Community.

Jay Chandra---Chandr---The Indian guy from Broken Lizard mostly does TV comedy direction these days, with pretty consistent results. I was actually a little disappointed to see he didn't return for Arrested Development season four, though I can see why he didn't given the bizarre shooting and editing schedule.

• Locked thread