Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

^--- 4 10's is nice depending on what you do, I work helldesk... it can get super trying especially since I work 2 jobs and end up working 60-70hours a week plus commute times, but it's nice once my construction job is done for the winter.

That looks like 6-10hour shifts to me. Wednesday 230pm-12:30am Thursday 230pm-1230am friday230pm-1230am, and then sunday 12am-10am, monday 12am-10am and tuesday 12am-10am... And that's thinking it's just one job. If it's two jobs it looks like 4-10hour shifts, wed/thurs/fri/sat 230pm-1230am and sunday/mon/tues/wed 12am-10am. Very poorly worded postings either way.

*EDIT* drat new page, for content. Every day I am on the phones as a monkey is a little bit of my soul that dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

MF_James posted:

^--- 4 10's is nice depending on what you do
4/10 can be great, or it can be pointless. My current job has pretty flexible schedules, each person gets to choose their own 40 for the week (regular 5day/8hr with flexible start/end times, or 4/10 or 9/80) except Mondays and Fridays are locked out for your "day off". So you work MTRF, or MWRF, or MTWF.

Still great, in theory, because you have a day off for things like errands or just sitting at home playing with your balls. But because of the incredible convenience of my job (2 mile, 5-10 minute commute) and easy pacing, I don't have a lot of incentive to work 10 hour days just to get an arbitrary day off. I appreciate only having to work 8 hours a day, especially after my last job was pretty much mandatory 10 hour days for FIVE days a week.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I just had a network engineer ask me for source/destination ip addresses for a DHCP/PXEboot problem...

mewse
May 2, 2006

nitrogen posted:

I just had a network engineer ask me for source/destination ip addresses for a DHCP/PXEboot problem...

Ack

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006

nitrogen posted:

My network engineer only learned how to design TDM and refuses to learn IP or Ethernet. I have to double check every circuit he designs because he doesn't understand the concept of trunk ports or what spanning tree does.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Filthy Lucre posted:

My network engineer only learned how to design TDM and refuses to learn IP or Ethernet. I have to double check every circuit he designs because he doesn't understand the concept of trunk ports or what spanning tree does.

Why in gently caress would you ever hire somebody who refuses to learn the protocols used in the vast majority (right?) of networking these days?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Filthy Lucre posted:

When you say "your" network engineer... does that mean you can fire his uncooperative rear end? Because if so, all you have to say is, "Learn IP and Ethernet within <timespan> or you're fired."

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Inspector_71 posted:

Why in gently caress would you ever hire somebody who refuses to learn the protocols used in the vast majority (right?) of networking these days?

He has most likely worked there since TDM was relevant, and firing him would be an age discrimination lawsuit.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Arven posted:

He has most likely worked there since TDM was relevant, and firing him would be an age discrimination lawsuit.
While I'm all in favor of efforts to keep more older talent in the workforce, "I don't want to learn the 30-year-old technology that drives the entire Internet" is a far cry from being solely an age-related problem.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
At the time he was hired, things were based on SONET, he just hasn't bothered to keep up. He's a traditional Indian emigrant, so he is very focused on caste/status and believes actually learning to config our equipment is beneath him. It's the job for the technicians, who he sees as beneath him. He designs, they carry them out. I'm the technician's supervisor (not his), so I've had to have a couple of conversations with him about treating them with respect.

The situation isn't all bad. He still handles details like optics, fiber counts, jumpers, etc. I would much rather work on the equipment (I'm also the Network Admin), so I let him deal with the little poo poo I don't want to deal with in the day to day. I treat his designs as rough drafts, make sure the equipment gets configured properly, then give him back a corrected design.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Is this a good place to bitch about vendors? I am sure every sysadmin is familiar with the vendor who points at your infrastructure over and over for their poorly performing application. I am dealing with one who even went so far as to email a senior vice president (banking, so not really that high up) about our lovely server performance. In their email, they gave some screenshots of some sql queries. I change one line in their examples, and lo and behold their minute+ queries execute in <1 second with the same result.

I loving hate these people.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
My last sysadmin job I had an interesting schedule: 12-hour days, 3-on, 3-off, 4-on, 4-off (basically working Thursday-Saturday and every other Wednesday). Only downside was having to work every Saturday. The 4x12 weeks did get long sometimes, but Saturdays were usually pretty dead, so it wasn't too bad, and always getting at least three days off and four days off every other week was awesome. Shame they were paying me way too little; I got a 60% pay bump coming to my current job (which is a very similar position) and it's not like I'm being overpaid now.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Thing pissing me off today - the existence of any other forms of communication. Why the gently caress do you use Skype, email if you don't even check the responses.

:) Hi eithedog, can you do xxxx for me?
:allears: Sure, just send over the file.
:allears: Can you send me the file?
:argh: (comes to my desk) Why the gently caress haven't you done this?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

eithedog posted:

Thing pissing me off today - the existence of any other forms of communication. Why the gently caress do you use Skype, email if you don't even check the responses.

:) Hi eithedog, can you do xxxx for me?
:allears: Sure, just send over the file.
:allears: Can you send me the file?
:argh: (comes to my desk) Why the gently caress haven't you done this?

This is not about the communication medium. This is about you being GIVEN A DIRECT ORDER and being expected to FOLLOW ORDERS, MAGGOT. Your boss doesn't work with you to accomplish a task for the betterment of the business, he tells you what to do and you loving do it; realities of the situation are irrelevant.

It always blows my mind that this is how some people think.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

My work insists on using web-based email through Webgator because of the high cost of Exchange or Google Apps.

We just switched our hosting to a VPS the other day and last night our name servers finally switched over. Thankfullly, we save the last 14 days of emails on the server. Which Outlook was for some reason very happy to download 15 copies of into each person's inbox this morning. I have ~4500 emails sitting here that I've already received before. Hurray! :suicide:

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
I found out last night that the guys running our huge rear end multi-million dollar wireless project don't even survey most our clients, despite said clients requesting surveys months ago, and schedule the installs based on maps and data from nearly 6 years ago. Most of these clients have remodeled or changed something about their location since that time. :psyduck:

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Che Delilas posted:

This is not about the communication medium. This is about you being GIVEN A DIRECT ORDER and being expected to FOLLOW ORDERS, MAGGOT. Your boss doesn't work with you to accomplish a task for the betterment of the business, he tells you what to do and you loving do it; realities of the situation are irrelevant.

It always blows my mind that this is how some people think.

If only that - I was making a favor to my coworker. And this is a situation that happened thrice today already, that's why I'm bitching - usually I let these sort of things lie, because meh.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

high cost . . . Google Apps.

:psyduck:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I truly feel sorry for support people during this Bring your own device craze.

I'm sorry, but the speed at which your iPad receives email over a network connection that we have no control of isn't something you can "escalate".. or the good old iOS "this one calendar entry didn't sync to my phone, table and outlook"

I'm not parsing IIS/exchange logs because your loving overpriced toy isn't behaving perfect and you didn't like the answer support gave you.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Farking Bastage posted:

Eh, it's not too bad.

If we provide it: I'll support it.
If you BYOB: Here's the connection info. Good luck.

CatsOnTheInternet
Apr 24, 2013

BEEEEAAOOOORRRRRRRW BEEEBEAAAAAOOOORRWW

Farking Bastage posted:

I'm sorry, but the speed at which your iPad receives email over a network connection that we have no control of isn't something you can "escalate".. or the good old iOS "this one calendar entry didn't sync to my phone, table and outlook"

I work primarily in VDI/SaaS stuff, so all the industry blogs I read are semi-constantly singing the praises of BYOD, which means I'm semi-constantly trolling the comments section. It's such a mind-bogglingly horrible idea.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MF_James posted:

That looks like 6-10hour shifts to me. Wednesday 230pm-12:30am Thursday 230pm-1230am friday230pm-1230am, and then sunday 12am-10am, monday 12am-10am and tuesday 12am-10am... And that's thinking it's just one job. If it's two jobs it looks like 4-10hour shifts, wed/thurs/fri/sat 230pm-1230am and sunday/mon/tues/wed 12am-10am. Very poorly worded postings either way.

Who is at all surprised that the recruiter didn't respond to my inquiry about the schedule ?

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

mllaneza posted:

Who is at all surprised that the recruiter didn't respond to my inquiry about the schedule ?

I'm more surprised that you bothered to respond.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Walter_Sobchak posted:

I'm more surprised that you bothered to respond.

This.

poo poo that pisses me off, cancerous co-workers. We have a guy that left one of our sites offline for 2.5hours after he took a call from them. Their server was fine somewhat, we have a server there to replace the current one and just needed to swap drives and stuff, so he told them to power off the old server, plug the new one in and wait for a callback from one of our level 2s. Well, he never noted anything in our tickets, forgot which site it was, so 2.5hours later when they called wondering wtf is going on we finally figured out who it was and got them up and running again in 20-30minutes after swapping drives over and rebuilding the arrays.

This guy has been a problem for a while, has repeatedly been told to immediately speak with someone else when issues like this and other "higher level" issues come up. He does not do this and has repeatedly caused issues to drag on for hours longer than they should.

Pretty sure he's getting fired over this today.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

CatsOnTheInternet posted:

I work primarily in VDI/SaaS stuff, so all the industry blogs I read are semi-constantly singing the praises of BYOD, which means I'm semi-constantly trolling the comments section. It's such a mind-bogglingly horrible idea.

What's a horrible idea, reading the comments or BYOD in general?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Trying to explain to comcast business support that they have a routing problem is like pulling teeth. gently caress me. gently caress them gently caress everyone

maybe I should go back to playing dumb, because these loving idiots don't even know what an IP address is

theangryamoeba
Sep 26, 2008

dennyk posted:

My last sysadmin job I had an interesting schedule: 12-hour days, 3-on, 3-off, 4-on, 4-off (basically working Thursday-Saturday and every other Wednesday). Only downside was having to work every Saturday. The 4x12 weeks did get long sometimes, but Saturdays were usually pretty dead, so it wasn't too bad, and always getting at least three days off and four days off every other week was awesome. Shame they were paying me way too little; I got a 60% pay bump coming to my current job (which is a very similar position) and it's not like I'm being overpaid now.

That schedule sounds suspiciously like my last sysadmin job. Was your office above a liquor store and several bars?

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

theangryamoeba posted:

That schedule sounds suspiciously like my last sysadmin job. Was your office above a liquor store and several bars?

sounds like the perfect work environment :v:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

adorai posted:

Is this a good place to bitch about vendors? I am sure every sysadmin is familiar with the vendor who points at your infrastructure over and over for their poorly performing application. I am dealing with one who even went so far as to email a senior vice president (banking, so not really that high up) about our lovely server performance. In their email, they gave some screenshots of some sql queries. I change one line in their examples, and lo and behold their minute+ queries execute in <1 second with the same result.

I loving hate these people.

Counterpoint:

For every one like you, I have 10 customers who do have completely hosed setups. Let me tell you about one. Bear in mind I'd driven for 5 hours to get to this place, of which 3 hours were spent in a jam on the M25.

What I found was:
  • 3 floors of a building filled with ageing SFF Dell GX620s with capacitors at various stages of bulging.

• A network that had been initially configured with desktops forced to 100/full because the ancient Cisco switches they were using couldn't autonegotiate properly with gigabit machines, meaning they also had to force the switch ports to 100/ful.

• Since that setup was put in place, it's seen several office rearrangements moving the desktops to switch ports that were still on auto, and also several re-images that set desktops back to auto, leading to a completely random combination of desktop and switch port speed settings.

• Our server was in a different building on the other side of a car park, with a 100mbps link between buildings. Every time it rained connections to my application would drop randomly.
I'll admit that the application we resold wasn't great. It was always the most sensitive to network issues, and the most likely to corrupt its database.

However we'd told the customer many times that the application was no-longer fit for their purpose as they had grown too big since they first installed it in the early 2000s, and that they should upgrade to something designed for a larger scale org. Of course they don't want to, and they keep paying the support costs, so I keep getting sent there to patch the thing up when it fails.

CatsOnTheInternet
Apr 24, 2013

BEEEEAAOOOORRRRRRRW BEEEBEAAAAAOOOORRWW

Bob Morales posted:

What's a horrible idea, reading the comments or BYOD in general?

Both, to be honest. BYOD is terrible, and reading deployment anecdotes in said comments are equally terrible because you just know that it's a Director or CIO telling a smiling success story when it's actually a total clusterfuck.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Farking Bastage posted:

Trying to explain to comcast business support that they have a routing problem is like pulling teeth.

Try having problems with their business phone service.. If you happen to have a phone system hooked up to their phone modem (as many small businesses would) their support will stonewall you... The problem ss ALWAYS your phone system's fault and never a problem on their end.

Severe feedback and/or echo on all lines? Its your phone system...
Inbound callers dialing your number are being routed to some completely different business in town? Its your phone system...
Inbound callers getting fast busy signal? Its your phone system...

The problem was intermittent, and of course would never happen when I had them on the phone.

It eventually took me directly contacting the regional supervisor and bypassing tech support entirely to get it fixed. Real problem? Severely damaged piece of cable a mile or so down the road. Repair tech was surprised we even had a signal at all. It took them 2 weeks to find it.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Arguing for going from paying approximately $500 yearly for web hosted email to ~$14200 yearly gets me absolutely nowhere.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm more amazed that an organisation large enough to have such a high migration cost would be able to function on a basic hosting-provided email service. Which sounds like it's POP based.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

Arguing for going from paying approximately $500 yearly for web hosted email to ~$14200 yearly gets me absolutely nowhere.

I am going to be facing a similar situation shortly...

My company is currently on a grandfathered free Google Apps account that allows up to 100 users. We currently sit at 91 users. Building a new branch location to open in a few months and that will easily put us over the 100 user limit.

So I have to convince the extremely cheap basta... err.. "frugal" owner to go from paying nothing per year, to over $5,000 per year. The CFO and others are on my side, but its still going to be a tough sell.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm praying for you that the agreed upon solution isn't to have some sort of hybrid system where you have hosted Exchange accounts for like 30 people and then it passes anything else through to the free Google Apps and you have to implement some horrible hacks to sync directories.

Edit: I would hit Google up to see if they can help you with the sell as well, since it's in their interest.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

nitrogen posted:

Tell him that until he figures it out, he'll be living in SYN...

Thank you that is my pun for the day, thank you.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

What's pissing me off? Getting paged at 3am from a client to find out when I'm going to show up to fix an issue.

This sounds "somewhat" reasonable until you realize:

1. It was deemed a low sev low impact issue so I have a week to fix it.

2. I'm going to be on site to fix it tomorrow morning.

3. I have to provide an eta when being assigned a ticket.

4. The client can see ALL of the above in the very web app they submitted the issue in and don't need to page me at 3am for an "update". :argh:

Edit: I should mention any of our "communication from customer" entries are paged out and it sucks. Mostly cause it only gets used to ask "when are you showing up?".

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 23, 2013

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

QPZIL posted:

Tell him that until he figures it out, he'll be living in SYN...

Thank you that is my pun for the day, thank you.

That joke made me ACK

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

stevewm posted:

So I have to convince the extremely cheap basta... err.. "frugal" owner to go from paying nothing per year, to over $5,000 per year. The CFO and others are on my side, but its still going to be a tough sell.

We're using a iMail install from like 2006. So there's no cost to stay where we are, $-wise. It's just that our current setup sucks. We pay for smartphones and people can't even have their email accounts on there without jumping through hoops like forwarding to personal email or having to connect to the VPN

"It's going to be $3,200 a month to go to hosted Exchange"

What? We get email free now!

"Yea, but it's hosted here, we don't have backups, there's no local mailbox storage, you can't do any Exchange/Outlook features like shared calendars or out of office messages, mobile device support blows..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The amount of people who I've had to deal with that think because they don't specifically see an invoice coming in for it means something is free is mind boggling. It doesn't matter if it takes up 2 days of someone's time each week which severely delays other projects or impacts the ability for anything proactive to be done, it's free.

Edit: Of course as soon as someone important buys an iPad then the emergency rushed unplanned Exchange migration has to happen.