Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Do you really need 4000 DPI at all times? That's kind of insanely high.

Yep, I ended up sitting on 4000 x/y as I find it's most comfortable for me. I am not a DPI evangelist, this is just the setting I prefer.

How lovely are Razer's drivers, exactly? I'm not super stoked at the idea of going with one of their products, but...

If I didn't pretty much require a palm grip for comfort I might go with one of the CM Storm Spawn models. And I guess there's still the Corsair ones, I like their optics placement and shape but I've read recent and disturbing reviews suggesting that there's a noticeable delay between movement and action. I had my fill of that with the MX wireless mice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
That's another Pro in Zowie's favor - their flagship mice have full functionality with literally no drivers whatsoever. There aren't any, they simply work.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Agreed posted:

Yep, I ended up sitting on 4000 x/y as I find it's most comfortable for me. I am not a DPI evangelist, this is just the setting I prefer.

How lovely are Razer's drivers, exactly? I'm not super stoked at the idea of going with one of their products, but...

If I didn't pretty much require a palm grip for comfort I might go with one of the CM Storm Spawn models. And I guess there's still the Corsair ones, I like their optics placement and shape but I've read recent and disturbing reviews suggesting that there's a noticeable delay between movement and action. I had my fill of that with the MX wireless mice.

Razer's drivers are so lovely they involve having an internet connection and connecting to the cloud. Consider one of the new logitech G602s as well - even nicer shape, really well suited for palm grippers; only gaming grade wireless mouse with an optical sensor that I know of. It's a fantastic product.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Agreed posted:

They're only as lovely as any mouse driver that has functionality beyond the 5 button windows setup and doesn't have onboard profile storage. Yes you need to be on the internet in order to install them, but once they're installed you can go offline and never use the cloud or update it.

Betjeman fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 23, 2013

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

The Lord Bude posted:

Razer's drivers are so lovely they involve having an internet connection and connecting to my butt. Consider one of the new logitech G602s as well - even nicer shape, really well suited for palm grippers; only gaming grade wireless mouse with an optical sensor that I know of. It's a fantastic product.

Logitech has the most comfortable mice I've ever used, but I am done with wireless mice (even the kind that have a cord you can plug in to charge, hassle I don't need and a lot of technology there that just isn't doing me any good). Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the cord and I'm sticking with wired keyboard and mouse as long as it's still a thing.

By the way, aheh, I've got a word filter that turns "the cloud" into "my butt" because I am a silly child and this page is funny to me now. I don't like the no on-mouse storage, it doesn't even have DPI adjustment? ... Man, I wish I could know one way or another whether Corsair's M65 and M95 DO or DO NOT have latency issues, they're the most attractive competitors that match my current mouse (CM Storm Sentinel Advance II) and have arguably superior features, really dig that sniper button on the M65 but I could do a lot with the macros on the M95 as I've found through the K95 that I have.

Mice! So many mice! Is there just, like, a list somewhere of mice that use Avago's ADNS 9800 sensor (the ridiculously high DPI one with less inherent acceleration and better angle-snapping behavior than the older 9500 sensor), and a list of what uses modern high-DPI optical sensors? I don't need more than 4000 DPI, but I really can't do less, either, not comfortably. Even going back down to 2700 to try to answer TRR's question about whether I need 4000 was uncomfortable and required more movement than I'm now used to. Maybe that seems like a bizarrely high sensitivity but it works well for me and I like it a lot.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'm starting to wonder if, despite using a G5 for as long as I remember, I am actually a claw-gripper by nature.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Agreed posted:

Logitech has the most comfortable mice I've ever used, but I am done with wireless mice (even the kind that have a cord you can plug in to charge, hassle I don't need and a lot of technology there that just isn't doing me any good). Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the cord and I'm sticking with wired keyboard and mouse as long as it's still a thing.

By the way, aheh, I've got a word filter that turns "the cloud" into "my butt" because I am a silly child and this page is funny to me now. I don't like the no on-mouse storage, it doesn't even have DPI adjustment? ... Man, I wish I could know one way or another whether Corsair's M65 and M95 DO or DO NOT have latency issues, they're the most attractive competitors that match my current mouse (CM Storm Sentinel Advance II) and have arguably superior features, really dig that sniper button on the M65 but I could do a lot with the macros on the M95 as I've found through the K95 that I have.

Mice! So many mice! Is there just, like, a list somewhere of mice that use Avago's ADNS 9800 sensor (the ridiculously high DPI one with less inherent acceleration and better angle-snapping behavior than the older 9500 sensor), and a list of what uses modern high-DPI optical sensors? I don't need more than 4000 DPI, but I really can't do less, either, not comfortably. Even going back down to 2700 to try to answer TRR's question about whether I need 4000 was uncomfortable and required more movement than I'm now used to. Maybe that seems like a bizarrely high sensitivity but it works well for me and I like it a lot.

Well hey if you want to connect your...um...driver... to my butt that's entirely acceptable to me. The deathadder doesn't have a dps button on the mouse, you have to fire up the software every time you want to adjust it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

My Logitech G9 is dying on me, it seems to suddenly lose power and come back to life after a few seconds.

I, of course, need a replacement. I'm not too keen on getting another G9 though, as even though it's a comfortable mouse for my large hands, the cable is a disaster. The braiding frayed really quickly, and it kinked and twisted a lot.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

You would have a hell of a time getting a brand new G9 for a good price anyway, as I believe it's discontinued.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Tornhelm posted:

It's a Razer mouse, so discounting the whole software side, expect it to have to replace it within a year or so as it's pretty much guaranteed with Razer's build quality these days that SOMETHING will give out on it.

This is incredibly hyperbolic. I mean, there have been issues in the past, but making such a sweeping statement is just stupid.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

TheRationalRedditor posted:

You would have a hell of a time getting a brand new G9 for a good price anyway, as I believe it's discontinued.

My dream mouse is a G9 with 4 side buttons. Make it happen, Logitech :(

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

fookolt posted:

I would buy 4 of these.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Don't we have a goon that works for Logitech? Make this dream come true!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

fookolt posted:

Similarly I just want the Steelseries Kana with at least 7 buttons and a better mousewheel and I'd be set.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

fookolt posted:

If only it were that easy.

What characteristics, specifically, do you guys like about the G9/G9x?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Goo posted:

The thing I love about the G9/G9x is the size and shape. I can place my thumb on the left side, along with my pinkie and ring finger on the right. Then I can move the mouse with fingers and minimal wrist/arm movement. The concave sides and texture of the precision grip are also really nice. I also really like left and right mouse click buttons, they seem to take less pressure than the newer mice like the g500.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Goo posted:

The mousewheel and that it's flat on top. I don't particularly care for its shape, but if it had more buttons I would get over that.

By flat, I mean that the left and right buttons are the same altitude. I really, really don't like mice like the Performance MX where the right mouse button is lower than the left.

Betjeman fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 24, 2013

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I am posting in this thread with my new g600. The build quality feels really nice, and it's perfectly shaped to accommodate my manhands. I see there's new firmware on the logitech site. Will that improve the performance a lot?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Goo posted:

Yeah, I figured :( I appreciate that you're asking though!

I really love the wide load grip and the texture of the grip/mouse. I also really like the action on the side buttons; it doesn't feel mushy like my girlfriend's G700s (the same goes for the texture vs the G700s). The weight with the four 7g weights is fantastic as well.

It honestly just feels like the best mouse ever (and I was a huge fan of the MX510 back in the day). I'd love to give Logitech more of my money (I've been doing so since like 2003), but I'd rather do it for a new product as opposed to one that is over 6 years old.

The only thing I'd add are two more side buttons like on the G700s.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

KinkyJohn posted:

I am posting in this thread with my new g600. The build quality feels really nice, and it's perfectly shaped to accommodate my manhands. I see there's new firmware on the logitech site. Will that improve the performance a lot?

Not really, but do it anyway. Maybe it'll fix the cable fraying issue.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

fookolt posted:

And while they're at it, pass on the fact that the G35 headset has a cable made out of Christmas tree lights and nightmares.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

KinkyJohn posted:

The newest firmware improves cursor responsiveness significantly.

I know I'm just parroting the description from the site, but I meant it when I wrote it that time too.

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005

BurritoJustice posted:

This is incredibly hyperbolic. I mean, there have been issues in the past, but making such a sweeping statement is just stupid.

I love Razer mice. Had two Diamondback's, one of those TRON branded ones and am now on my third DeathAdder. Would not use another mouse, but they break like clockwork. Usually it's a button issue, but they are either not built to last or I have had the worst luck with their mice.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I just found out angle snapping. Does the g500 come with this? Not the s variant. And does it need the setpoint software to have this feature? I've never noticed it until this point and I'd like to make sure that it's not on. I just installed windows 8.1 the other day, but I didn't install the setpoint software.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

How are Cooler Master mice? I'm looking at the CM Storm Inferno, it looks good. I'd be replacing my G9x, I like it but it's my 2nd G9x in 2 years that I have had problems with double clicking.

I'd kinda like a wireless mouse though, any good ones out there?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Too Poetic posted:

How are Cooler Master mice? I'm looking at the CM Storm Inferno, it looks good. I'd be replacing my G9x, I like it but it's my 2nd G9x in 2 years that I have had problems with double clicking.

I'd kinda like a wireless mouse though, any good ones out there?

Get a Logitech G602. Pretty much the best wireless gaming mouse out there now that the Sidewinder X8 no longer exists.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

MrCodeDude posted:

I love Razer mice. Had two Diamondback's, one of those TRON branded ones and am now on my third DeathAdder. Would not use another mouse, but they break like clockwork. Usually it's a button issue, but they are either not built to last or I have had the worst luck with their mice.

The only mouse of theirs I've had that hasn't broken on me within a year (Diamondback, Copperhead, Habu, Deathadder, Lachesis, Naga, Mamba) is a Salmosa and thats because I only use it when I take my laptop out for LAN's. Pretty much all of them died due to the poor quality of the switches under the mouse buttons, but the rubber coating for their mice likes to disintegrate too. The same goes for every single person I know who uses their mice.

On the other hand, their mechanical keyboards are pretty damned sturdy and the only reason I gave away my BlackWidow v1 is because I got lured away by the dedicated media controls on the Corsair board.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zotix posted:

I just found out angle snapping. Does the g500 come with this? Not the s variant. And does it need the setpoint software to have this feature? I've never noticed it until this point and I'd like to make sure that it's not on. I just installed windows 8.1 the other day, but I didn't install the setpoint software.

Pretty sure all the G mice either have no angle snapping or default to off. My g700 has an option in the software to turn it on, not sure if its a persistent hardware switch or software.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Zotix posted:

Yes it does, regardless of drivers. The G500 sensor has a lot of inaccuracies.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

The Lord Bude posted:

Get a Logitech G602. Pretty much the best wireless gaming mouse out there now that the Sidewinder X8 no longer exists.

Yeah, I ended up getting the G602 and find myself enjoying it so far. Still haven't bothered using most of the extra buttons, but it feels and handles pretty drat well. The "Performance" vs "Battery life" switch is a great idea. I couldn't really feel a difference while doing simple browsing activity, but it did feel better in performance mode in Bioshock, so having that switch that's a nice touch. Dunno about battery life yet.

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005

Tornhelm posted:

The only mouse of theirs I've had that hasn't broken on me within a year (Diamondback, Copperhead, Habu, Deathadder, Lachesis, Naga, Mamba) is a Salmosa and thats because I only use it when I take my laptop out for LAN's. Pretty much all of them died due to the poor quality of the switches under the mouse buttons, but the rubber coating for their mice likes to disintegrate too. The same goes for every single person I know who uses their mice.

On the other hand, their mechanical keyboards are pretty damned sturdy and the only reason I gave away my BlackWidow v1 is because I got lured away by the dedicated media controls on the Corsair board.

All the Razer mice I've owned have broken between 2-3 years in. Compared to other mice I've owned / used occasionally (e.g. MX518, Steelseries Sensei, even the Fatal1ty 2020 is still going strong), that is definitely on the short end of life spans.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
My Razer broke again and I need a new mouse. I like the Steelseries Ikari because it's comfortable and has nice side buttons, but I'm worried that I've found something even less durable than a Razer. Is it okay or is it crap?

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

Any reason to get the G602 over the G700?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The 600 has more buttons, but I went with the 700s because it's wireless or wired, which I liked a lot. Very useful for watching TV in bed.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Zotix posted:

Angle snapping is a feature that can be enabled within LGS (SetPoint no longer supports gaming mice) if you set the mouse to automatic game detection mode. If you are in onboard memory mode (or the software is not installed) angle snapping is off and cannot be enabled.

Too Poetic posted:

G602 has significantly longer battery life. I get about 2.5 months out of a set of NiMH batteries in my G602 mice. G700 has recharging capability, a hyperfast wheel, and higher DPI - if those things are more appealing than long battery life.

Goo fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 28, 2013

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

MrCodeDude posted:

Razer hardware is simply poorly made, which would be acceptable if their support was good, but it isn't. I went through two lycosas, a lachesis and two Onzas before I swore them off completely. They obstinately refuse to back their product.

Granted, I currently have a first generation Lachesis that is still going strong somehow, but it appears to be the exception.

I have a Logitech illuminated keyboard that I broke while I was cleaning it, so I emailed them and said "Hey I broke my keyboard, can I please buy a scissor mechanism and replacement "e" key for the illuminated keyboard?" and the CSR replied back saying "it sounds to me like your keyboard is defective" and second day'd one to my house with a shipping label to return the old one in.

Logitech 4 lyfe.

On the topic of mouses, I'm contemplating a G600 or G700s - both look pretty nice. I had an mx 1000 way back in the day that I loved.

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 28, 2013

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Comradephate posted:

Logitech 4 lyfe.

Preach it. My gen 1 Logitech G5 succumed to the dreaded cable problem after 4+ years of not-gentle use. I contacted them on a whim about it and they basically said, 'it's way out of warranty, but here is a 50% coupon to buy a replacement with!' It's so, so easy to buy products from them and not worry even a little bit.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Comradephate posted:

Granted, I currently have a first generation Lachesis that is still going strong somehow, but it appears to be the exception.

I had a first gen Lachesis that lasted me many many years, a lot of travel with laptops, and then I eventually gave it away to a friend when I got my RAT9. He still uses it and it works fine.

I got that Logitech M705 when I was waiting on my FUNC warranty that still doesn't connect, I should really stop being lazy and email them about that.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
In fact, now that I'm home, here's my lachesis in all of its glory.

In case it's unclear, it's not (that) dirty - the shiny parts are where the grippy coating has rubbed off. Despite my hate for Razer as a company, this thing is a trooper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Too Poetic posted:

Because the G602:

1. Doesn't look like poo poo
2. Is one of the only logitech mice to have a decent sensor (and is the only wireless gaming mouse I know of to have a good sensor)