Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fermented Piss
May 17, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

Nobody likes Blake Judd, his band sucks more than your average lovely black metal band and he has ripped off just about everyone who has worked hard to release and distribute black metal in the US. I'm sick of hearing about him, either because of his lovely band or because he ripped people off. That shirt is amusing though, perhaps they'll make a couple bucks and humiliate a loser who ripped off his friends who trusted him. I kinda wish the shirt kept one of the four classic DSP tenets of "no friends" though.

Meanwhile, have some good black metal also from DeKalb, Illinois.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Q_zOpEw8A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtZg2vmbVIg

"No friends" isn't one of the four classic DSP tenets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The new Ash Borer is pretty nuts, I love it.

edit-- oh it came out in February :downs:

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 21, 2013

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Fermented Piss posted:

"No friends" isn't one of the four classic DSP tenets.

Oops, I was originally going to write a joke about "no trends" then decided to change it to "no friends" and didn't fully change my wording.

Please accept this melodic and somewhat epic black metal as an apology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3vVceOAY14

While the music is quite repetitive, it's very enjoyable. Sad that the band ended because they didn't like the lead/acoustic guitarist also working with a hardcore band, because what he did on this album is much better than anything their other guitarist went on to do. Three of them moved on to Deathspell Omega, who have sucked horribly since Shaxul left. Shaxul is now in a cool black/thrash band called Manzer.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Zodijackylite posted:

Three of them moved on to Deathspell Omega, who have sucked horribly since Shaxul left.

:goonsay:

Try not to cut yourself on all that edge.

QPZIL posted:

The new Ash Borer is pretty nuts, I love it.

edit-- oh it came out in February :downs:

Agreed, very solid. Much better than the new Skagos.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

Three of them moved on to Deathspell Omega, who have sucked horribly since Shaxul left.

Negative. DSO is awesome, regardless of what some of the black metal neckbeards around here may think.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Killsion posted:

Agreed, very solid. Much better than the new Skagos.

I was really disappointed with this. I loved "side A" when he put that up on bandcamp, but the rest of it was super mediocre. I'm glad it all came out digitally beforehand, else I might have preordered the eventual vinyl release on the strength of that first track. I was also relatively nonplussed by the Panopticon/Vestiges split, although from what he's said about Panopticon/Falls of Rauros, that one will be much more up my street. It feels like it's been a pretty bland year for black metal though. None of the records I've really, really liked have been straight up black metal. (Before someone says Cultes Des Ghoules, I like it, but it didn't exactly blow me away). It's been a great year for death metal though.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

aliencowboy posted:

Nope, no guts. Good show though. One of their guitarists is just shy of 17 feet tall.

Possibly helped by Erik Danielsson being about 5 foot tall.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

TheIllestVillain posted:

Blut aus Nord's new Liber EP is out and it's great. I loved the 777 trilogy but i'm happy to see that they're still doing the creepy dissonant style of BM that they're renowned for.

I wish every band had a page where I could instantly buy and download flac files. What is so hard about this?

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

nomapple posted:

I was really disappointed with this. I loved "side A" when he put that up on bandcamp, but the rest of it was super mediocre. I'm glad it all came out digitally beforehand, else I might have preordered the eventual vinyl release on the strength of that first track. I was also relatively nonplussed by the Panopticon/Vestiges split, although from what he's said about Panopticon/Falls of Rauros, that one will be much more up my street. It feels like it's been a pretty bland year for black metal though. None of the records I've really, really liked have been straight up black metal. (Before someone says Cultes Des Ghoules, I like it, but it didn't exactly blow me away). It's been a great year for death metal though.

Totally agreed on most counts. I did greatly enjoy the Panopticon/Vestiges split though. The Suicide Nation cover was a nice surprise too as I'd say they are a fairly underrated screamo band.
Listening to Henbane all I could think of was when the song was going to end. Interesting stuff, but poorly executed, and ultimately tired and boring. I'm sure my black metal AOTY list will make the neckbeards froth at the mouth anyway.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
The vast majority of people aren't interested in devoting hundreds of megs to one album they can't put on an ipod

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.
Also I think FLAC is overkill for a genre of music whose founding principles included screaming into a cassette recorder.

Though I still want FLAC because I'm a lovely person who cares about bit rates and fidelity.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Vulich the Subtle posted:

Though I still want FLAC because I'm a lovely person who cares about bit rates and fidelity.

This. I'm spoiled by having everything setup on a server that I can freely stream from and FLAC/320 is the standard issue, even if I'm streaming over light 3G to my phone.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
I find the difference between v0 and 320/FLAC so minuscule I always go for v0 if I can.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

It's been 18 years since Ultima Thulee and Blut Aus Nord are still using the same ghetto rear end drum samples.

funeral fag fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 22, 2013

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Killsion posted:

Totally agreed on most counts. I did greatly enjoy the Panopticon/Vestiges split though. The Suicide Nation cover was a nice surprise too as I'd say they are a fairly underrated screamo band.
Listening to Henbane all I could think of was when the song was going to end. Interesting stuff, but poorly executed, and ultimately tired and boring. I'm sure my black metal AOTY list will make the neckbeards froth at the mouth anyway.

In terms of "black metal", Altar of Plagues are the clear winner for me this year, although I don't really see TGAI as a BM record myself. I also really like the infectious melodies on the new Rotting Christ, and I enjoyed Deafheaven but I still find his screeching pretty bad, even by BM standards. I need more time with Inquisition before I see where it stands with me, so far I think it's pretty good though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The Black Metal Thread: Ghetto rear end Drum Samples

edit-- hey, they know what works for them. I was using terrible drum samples up until a couple years back when I upgraded to a different software and things actually sound like, uh, real drums now.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

m-o-o-n posted:

It's been 18 years since Ultima Thulee and Blut Aus Nord are still using the same ghetto rear end drum samples.

For programmed drums they sound really good though. :shrug: Only TWWTG has samples that sound arguably bad, but it works with the more industrial influenced sound going on with that album.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Nah, the drums on the new EP are super obnoxious too.

There have been a few bands like Lunar Aurora and Swine who have decent sounding programmed drums, partly because the beats are simple enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvJhTuPt_UM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYSyoA3vfvU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

https://ironboneheadproductions.bandcamp.com/album/cult-of-fire-triumvir-t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L_6fvZVGwE

Picked this up yesterday after reading about their new one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryET98pYbjM

Haha. Yes. They perform with those goofy spanish hats (capirote) on.

And yeah, flac might be overkill. I think I need to upgrade my speakers or get some good headphones. I can never get EQ settings right.

unbuttonedclone fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 22, 2013

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
You know, as cool a promo image as that is, those capirote hats tend to only be used for one thing in an American context.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
I don't think they're trying to sell themselves to overly sensitive americans

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Killsion posted:

I find the difference between v0 and 320/FLAC so minuscule I always go for v0 if I can.

I have a FLAC archive copy of all my music, just for the very occasion that a new, better audio compression codec gets released because I don't want to have to reencode MP3 or AAC to something else, because that's a sure fire way to make your music sound like utter poo poo.

However that new audio codec finally arrived this year, its called Opus. The end result? 110GB of FLAC files becomes 11GB of 96kbps Opus audio files. MP3 of a similar quality would take up twice the space, AAC would take up almost as much.

So yeah, even with slow arse internet in Australia, downloading and storing FLAC files makes sense.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
saw Deafheaven agian yesterday, they played the entire Sunbather album + Unrequited as encore. Not as good live album as Roads to Judah, but god loving drat the crowd went wild during The Pecan Tree's last moments. Stood right by the stage, so I got to scream together into the mic with George a few times.

loving go see them, I traveled 400 miles to see them and it was so so worth it. They have some australian tour coming up if I'm not mistaken

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If you haven't yet check out the Aussie band Loss of Self, their EP Twelve Minutes is some of the best stuff ive heard in a while.

http://theflenser.bandcamp.com/album/twelve-minutes

The album is only 27 minutes and it goes by so quick you can't help but to go back again to listen. I love the emphasis on the bass guitar - gives a nice added layer to black metal.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I never got round to checking Cult of Fire out, probably going to rectify that when the new one drops.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Checked a few pages back and didn't see anything about it, but Enemies List are doing something of a fund-raiser.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

thylacine posted:

Cult of Fire stuff

Triumvirát was absolutely excellent so I am looking forward to their new album. Really top notch, albeit off the wall, black metal.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Wow, thanks whoever mentioned Entropia, that album is aces. I've had Gauss on repeat the past few days. Since it's getting towards the end of the year I've started thinking about what's come out so far. Fanisk and Ruins of Beverast are way up there for me. Deafheaven and now Entropia are probably gonna be there too. Oh yeah and Aosoth. The new Arckanum and Watain albums didn't really do much for me. Anything I missed that's really been making waves?

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

apophenium posted:

Wow, thanks whoever mentioned Entropia, that album is aces. I've had Gauss on repeat the past few days. Since it's getting towards the end of the year I've started thinking about what's come out so far. Fanisk and Ruins of Beverast are way up there for me. Deafheaven and now Entropia are probably gonna be there too. Oh yeah and Aosoth. The new Arckanum and Watain albums didn't really do much for me. Anything I missed that's really been making waves?

New Altar of Plagues is worth a listen if you haven't checked that yet. The new Yellow Eyes is very solid as well, as is the new Woe. Also not for everyone, but the new Paysage d'Hiver is fantastic as well.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
MetalHammer has the new Inquisition album streaming. I haven't given it a full listen yet, but loving Inquisition.

Also, while I generally like Judas Iscariot, as someone who grew up with DeKalb, IL as the nearest large town, I find it hilarious that they're from around here because this is pretty much the least black metal place in the universe. It's endless corn and bean fields, with the occasional railroad track to interrupt them.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 23, 2013

FalseParadigm
Apr 30, 2005

Chew, chew, chew. That is the thing to do.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's endless corn and bean fields, with the occasional railroad track to interrupt them.
That sounds like a bleak depressing landscape to me. Perhaps that is where they draw their inspiration.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

FalseParadigm posted:

That sounds like a bleak depressing landscape to me. Perhaps that is where they draw their inspiration.

Gonna go with this, dude looks sad as hell.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

MetalHammer has the new Inquisition album streaming. I haven't given it a full listen yet, but loving Inquisition.

Listening to this now. Liking it so far. Lots of cool astronomical lines/song names. Can't say I've seen many black metal bands flock to those themes.

apophenium fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 24, 2013

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

apophenium posted:

Gonna go with this, dude looks sad as hell.

That pic is DSBM as hell yo

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

I'm listening to the anti-depressive black metal band SPITE EXTREME WING and everyone else ITT should be doing the same. Kosmokrator is a bit poo poo but the other two albums are freaking sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcmgmKknv_A

FalseParadigm
Apr 30, 2005

Chew, chew, chew. That is the thing to do.
There are no trees or rocks in Kansas :colbert:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Really enjoying the new White Medal LP, Guthmers Hahl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij8z3zwAA0o

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

m-o-o-n posted:

I'm listening to the anti-depressive black metal band SPITE EXTREME WING and everyone else ITT should be doing the same. Kosmokrator is a bit poo poo but the other two albums are freaking sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcmgmKknv_A

VLTRA is a favorite of mine. Good covers on that record too, like Misfits, and The Beatles.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
R.I.P LSK. I'll be spinning Blood Libels today I think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_8jeMk8jNs

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Sad news about LSK; Blood Libels is firmly a top five album for me. The thread about it on the NWN! Productions forums was naturally full of shitheads and racists. Stay classy, war metal kids!

In other news I just ordered a copy of the Endlichkeit tape from Fallen Empire. I think the Velvet Cacoon comparison is apt except it's better and not stolen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm late on this but the I'm listening to the new Inquisition and it's the bomb. If it keeps up the quality of the first two tracks throughout it will be by far my favorite Inquisition album and a definite top 10 of the year.

This has like all of the riffs of the year, goddamn.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 27, 2013