Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
I just saw a generic 90s econobox stop behind a new Honda CR-V at a stop light, wait 30 seconds, then gun it into the rear of the CR-V. The light didn't even turn green or anything. I can't figure out how this happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Do the "baby on board" placards activate some kind of self-important entitled road rage mode when you put them on? I just had some woman in her mid-20s start brake checking the gently caress out of me while following at around two car lengths around a long turning interchange that averages maybe 30 MPH. She was doing the whole "brake-brake-stop-speed off repeat" act for over a quarter mile until we merged with the other highway and I was able to get around her.

She then proceeded to park herself a foot behind my rear bumper and stayed there for the next three miles on the highway plus the mile and a half I covered on surface roads. She jumped out of her car to accost me when I was dropping my wife off at work, screaming that I was trying to murder her newborn baby and driving like an rear end in a top hat, etc.

Never mind that before she started trying to cause an accident I was following at a safe distance for conditions. Time to buy a dashcam...

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

This thread has finally convinced me that it's time to buy a dash cam. I'm going to see if I can bodge it onto my motorcycle since that's what I use for most of my commuting. I'm thinking I may be able to mount it in a stick on go pro mount or something.

After a week or two I'll easily have enough footage for a 20 minute collage of people crossing the double yellows to swerve in and out of the the HOV lanes at whatever speed they feel like.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Just ordered one of those dash cams, £33 to the UK. Hope nothing hilariously inept happens before it gets here :buddy:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is how Russia finally beats America, by spreading their addiction of dashcams to us capitalist pigs.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

xzzy posted:

This is how Russia finally beats America, by spreading their addiction of dashcams to us capitalist pigs.

Isn't it an insurance thing over there?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's the story I usually hear. Apparently fraud is super common, people jumping in front of cars and telling the police you hit them. Dashcams become important evidence at that point.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I can easily blow an hour watching Russian dash cam compilations drunk.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Cakefool posted:

I can easily blow an hour watching Russian dash cam compilations drunk.

Much like the video participants.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geoj posted:

Do the "baby on board" placards activate some kind of self-important entitled road rage mode when you put them on?
Yes. Same people who get self righteous if you dare to find other people's screaming children on planes etc to be really loving annoying.

quote:

She jumped out of her car to accost me when I was dropping my wife off at work, screaming that I was trying to murder her newborn baby and driving like an rear end in a top hat, etc.
"And your solution to feeling threatened is to physically confront a complete stranger twice your size?"

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Ahhhh what the gently caress is so difficult about merging onto the interstate from surface streets. There's plenty of loving on ramp for even the shittiest of poo poo boxes to get up to merging speed and yet several times a week I get stuck behind some retard that doesn't even attempt to accelerate going up the ramp and then doesn't even look before merging into 70mph+ traffic while doing 40mph.

I had to stop on the on ramp today because one of those fuckers decided to pull that maneuver and if I had merged in behind him I would have been the cream filling in a semi and pickup truck sandwich. Fortunately the trucker was paying attention so the only damage was to his underwear. As far as I could tell the retard in the pickup remained oblivious to his near major accident.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Today I encountered someone who combines two of my biggest pet peeves: People who have no idea where they're going, and people who realize they have to turn right now, are in the wrong lane, and do ridiculous unsafe poo poo so they can move over right this nanosecond.

I was cruising in the right lane, and getting close to a major intersection in my city. Some fucker in a beige sedan suddenly swings into my lane with zero space to move in, and even with me slamming on my breaks he still ends up about 2 inches in front of me. They get the usual horn blaring and bird-flipping. But then when we get to the intersection itself, he suddenly swerves over to the left lane so he can turn that way. He almost crashed into me(and probably scared some people on his way back to the left lane) because he had to turn right the gently caress now but had no idea which way he was turning.

If you that little of an idea where you're going, maybe you should pull off into a gas station or parking lot instead of trying to kill people with your inept flailing. :argh:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Geoj posted:

Do the "baby on board" placards activate some kind of self-important entitled road rage mode when you put them on? I just had some woman in her mid-20s start brake checking the gently caress out of me while following at around two car lengths around a long turning interchange that averages maybe 30 MPH. She was doing the whole "brake-brake-stop-speed off repeat" act for over a quarter mile until we merged with the other highway and I was able to get around her.

She then proceeded to park herself a foot behind my rear bumper and stayed there for the next three miles on the highway plus the mile and a half I covered on surface roads. She jumped out of her car to accost me when I was dropping my wife off at work, screaming that I was trying to murder her newborn baby and driving like an rear end in a top hat, etc.

Never mind that before she started trying to cause an accident I was following at a safe distance for conditions. Time to buy a dashcam...

I can't think of anything that screams "I think I'm more important than you" than a baby on board sign. People hated them in the 90s when they first showed up, nothing's changed about that. This is someone who thinks the world revolves around them, so no surprise. I imagine you could elicit some hilarity by declaring you're a Satanist and want to eat her baby etc.

edit: clarity

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 23, 2013

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Haifisch posted:

Today I encountered someone who combines two of my biggest pet peeves: People who have no idea where they're going, and people who realize they have to turn right now, are in the wrong lane, and do ridiculous unsafe poo poo so they can move over right this nanosecond.

I was cruising in the right lane, and getting close to a major intersection in my city. Some fucker in a beige sedan suddenly swings into my lane with zero space to move in, and even with me slamming on my breaks he still ends up about 2 inches in front of me. They get the usual horn blaring and bird-flipping. But then when we get to the intersection itself, he suddenly swerves over to the left lane so he can turn that way. He almost crashed into me(and probably scared some people on his way back to the left lane) because he had to turn right the gently caress now but had no idea which way he was turning.

If you that little of an idea where you're going, maybe you should pull off into a gas station or parking lot instead of trying to kill people with your inept flailing. :argh:

These people come in many flavors but most of it all focuses on that they're way more important than anyone else--this includes the people who will block traffic because they need to make an unsafe turn or illegal u-turn.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If I miss a turn, I just live with the mistake and either re-route or wait for a spot to exit traffic so I can turn around. Other people on the road will never have any idea how much annoyance I've saved them by resisting the urge to dive across three lanes of traffic to make a turn lane. :argh:

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

xzzy posted:

If I miss a turn, I just live with the mistake and either re-route or wait for a spot to exit traffic so I can turn around. Other people on the road will never have any idea how much annoyance I've saved them by resisting the urge to dive across three lanes of traffic to make a turn lane. :argh:

This is pretty much exactly what I do. If I gently caress up I either make the turn I can make without creating any fuss or I turn at the next signal, it's not like it adds that much time to my drive.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I need to stop reading this thread at the end of my work day before heading home.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Das Volk posted:

I can't think of anything that screams "I think I'm more important than you" than a baby on board sign. People hated them in the 90s when they first showed up, nothing's changed about that. This is someone who thinks the world revolves around them, so no surprise. I imagine you could elicit some hilarity by declaring you're a Satanist and want to eat her baby etc.

edit: clarity

As with just about anything in life, George Carlin said it best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r01qkBQClKg

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Geoj posted:

People see my "Baby On Board" placard and instantly think, "he's a father," but the truth is, it's there for the California burrito I just bought and I'm driving slow as gently caress so I can eat it without spilling. - Fireland

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Crossposting from GBS:

Solar Coaster posted:

More news from Seattle. This time via Twitter!

full link

What probably seemed like a routine drive for a Metro bus driver down I-5 in the southbound express lanes Wednesday morning turned into anything but once it became quickly apparent the express lanes had already switched to the northbound direction.

WSDOT Traffic @wsdot_traffic
On the I-5 northbound express lanes at NE 45nd St there is a disabled vehicle blocking the left lane.
11:30 AM - 23 Oct 2013

Don't know how or why, but this bus ended up on express lanes in the wrong direction.
11:33 AM - 23 Oct 2013

The DOT noted passengers were still on the bus and police were going to do a rolling slowdown on the freeway to allow the bus to drive down the express lanes to exit rather than turn it around.

Here's the rolling slowdown in the express lanes.
11:37 AM - 23 Oct 2013

So there goes the bus.
11:40 AM - 23 Oct 2013

That is probably a pretty lonely, quiet drive.
11:40 AM - 23 Oct 2013

Only problem? The express lanes are designed not to have any exits from southbound traffic until you reach Mercer Street -- 4 miles away. So it appears the driver decided to attempt a 180 degree turn on the Ship Canal Bridge and exit at NE 42nd Street:

This spider can't believe what it's seeing.
11:41 AM - 23 Oct 2013

This is kind of an Austin Powers thing watching this bus try to turn around.
11:44 AM - 23 Oct 2013

So the bus gave up on turning around, drove off and ran into all the stopped traffic. Oh brother.
11:46 AM - 23 Oct 2013

The backup got huge on the express lanes so now they're letting traffic through before dealing with the bus. Fascinating stuff.
11:48 AM - 23 Oct 2013

Sounds like once they clear the traffic out, they're going to try to exit the bus at Mercer.
11:51 AM - 23 Oct 2013

Why can't I get the Benny Hill theme song out of my head?
11:57 AM - 23 Oct 2013

So once traffic cleared, the bus continued south toward Mercer:

There goes the bus. ...again. Let's see what happens!
11:59 AM - 23 Oct 2013

You're heard of the walk of shame? This is the drive of shame.
12:02 PM - 23 Oct 2013

There it goes, exiting off Mercer. Seriously, that's a tough situation and we're glad no one was hurt.
12:04 PM - 23 Oct 2013

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Solar Coaster posted:

Crossposting from GBS:

I saw that earlier today. I am still in awe that they managed to get on the express lanes in the wrong direction. Also, it looks like our other local twitter accounts are trying to keep up with Seattle Police.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Negromancer posted:

I saw that earlier today. I am still in awe that they managed to get on the express lanes in the wrong direction. Also, it looks like our other local twitter accounts are trying to keep up with Seattle Police.

I'm a Seattle native. I've never seen anyone get on the express lanes in the wrong direction. There are usually barriers and finally a net to catch vehicles right where the entrances are. This is truly spectacular.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

General_Failure posted:

Holy crap that's good quality. What sort of recording time or mb/min or whatever does it get?

Seems to be ~250MB for 3 minute chunks @ 1080p w/audio.

Cakefool posted:

Are there gaps between the files? Can you set the length of file segments?

Gaps seem to be on the order of milliseconds. You can choose 3, 5, and 10 minute segments.

v689fbird posted:

Was that video taken with the led on or off? I drive a box truck 11p-7a and have been meaning to get a dashcam for a long time, thinking about sticking it to the rear window of the cab to try to capture the side mirrors too.

Off. The LED on it is a glaring white LED, no idea what purpose it even serves.

xzzy posted:

How does it look mounted? That suction cup rig seems to be enormous.

Though I suppose that's only because the device itself is so tiny.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't mind some pictures of that either.

It's a little obvious, more because the suction cup won't stick to the shaded part of the windshield. But it also pops out of the mount really easy; I just bring it inside with me when I park. I have it mounted so that I can't really see it while driving (and I have it set to turn off the display after a minute).

I'll probably get a black sharpie and black out the "flash" and the trim around the lens. Ideally I'd like to mount it a bit higher so that the suction mount isn't visible, but I don't see how I'm going to do that in a non-permanent way. Right now the power cord is tucked under the edge of the headliner, then run above the passenger door, and drops down to the floor where the b pillar would be (if it had a b pillar). Need to figure out something a little less tacky.

Caught a near miss (for me - the car behind me wasn't so lucky) with it today. Grand Marquis stopped in the left lane of 75, then cut across 3 lanes of traffic, the shoulder, the grass, and the access road. It looked like he decided "I'm going to turn into Costco from the middle of a highway!". He didn't even flinch when the car behind me tagged him, just kept going.

I'm no good at editing video, I tried to trim it down to just the relevant parts and apparently cut off a bit too much (like 13 inch). Still gives a good idea of Mr Costco and his red Panther.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 24, 2013

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The express lanes change direction mid day? That's weird.

Today I was merging onto a 2 lane road after exiting the turnpike. As there was heavy traffic, people were merging every other car like normal people. This one girl in an older Ford Explorer did not appear to want to let me in. But it was my spot to merge so I kept merging with the flow of traffic - this is all at 2 mph mind you. As I merged, she honked at me. Then swerved into the left lane and started screaming at me. I kept moving forward as she swerved around honking.

At the red light, she parked in a 45 degree angle in the left lane, got out of her car, and screamed at me about cutting people off. I deadpanned "Its a merge lane, you idiot."

She got back in her car and continued to swerve around while she and her passenger shouted at my car. I was about a mile from my house at this point. She followed me off of the highway, and then turned around as I turned towards my neighborhood.

This is when I called 911, though I probably should have earlier. It was at most 5 minutes for the whole incident. The operator told me that she couldn't help and that I would have to report this at a police station.

I think I'll just make that dashcam purchase.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I got that Mobius action cam and I've been using it for my bike ride every day. Seems like I need to charge it once a day, but that's fine. Quality is pretty good, but the mount I got isn't all that steady on my helmet, which isn't that steady on my head, which isn't that steady biking around.

I'm definitely satisfied so far, and mostly I just need to decide if I should get a separate camera for my car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

The express lanes change direction mid day? That's weird.

Yes, Seattle is a bit of a geographical oddity as far as cities go. In its early days it was contained by ocean on one side, and steep cliffs on the other. In the years since Seattle was founded they've tamed the hills (somewhat), but it still resulted in a metropolis that's much longer in the north-south direction than it is wide.

There's basically just one north-south artery that everyone uses to get to work, and during rush hour one half the highway will be a parking lot, the other half is relatively unused. So to alleviate this a bit they added several lanes in the middle and depending on the time of day they might be allowing traffic to drive south, at other times, north.

They have like a quarter mile of barriers before you can access the express lanes, accessing them from the wrong direction without knowing you hosed up takes a special kind of stupid.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Das Volk posted:

I can't think of anything that screams "I think I'm more important than you" than a baby on board sign.

Checkmate :colbert:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The smugness of that sign makes me think

has finally become appropriate.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

xzzy posted:

Yes, Seattle is a bit of a geographical oddity as far as cities go. In its early days it was contained by ocean on one side, and steep cliffs on the other. In the years since Seattle was founded they've tamed the hills (somewhat), but it still resulted in a metropolis that's much longer in the north-south direction than it is wide.

There's basically just one north-south artery that everyone uses to get to work, and during rush hour one half the highway will be a parking lot, the other half is relatively unused. So to alleviate this a bit they added several lanes in the middle and depending on the time of day they might be allowing traffic to drive south, at other times, north.

They have like a quarter mile of barriers before you can access the express lanes, accessing them from the wrong direction without knowing you hosed up takes a special kind of stupid.

HAHAHA one direction unused? When was the last time you took I-5 northbound from downtown? Everyday when I leave my office(~4pm to 6pm depending on the day) and head north, both directions are pretty much a parking lot( except the express lanes) all the way to the u-district, if not farther. I have spent my entire life in seattle( 28 now) and have watched traffic get worse and worse over the years. It is completely insane, but unless you live in capitol hill/right around downtown, our bus system is a complete joke, so for most people driving is the only real option.

The best part about the bus getting on the wrong way, they didn't find any damaged barriers, so I guess the bus teleported onto the express lanes?

Back to dashcam chat, I am definitely picking one up before I buy my new car. Its one thing to have someone gently caress up my beater e30, but if I have a brand new car I need to have proof that some rear end in a top hat hit me.

My buddy has a couple of these dash cams and is pretty happy with it. More expensive than the other options, but he also got the GPS module for it which is nice to have. I am thinking about one of these because I like the size and it has built in GPS, shock sensors and will stream video wirelessly to andriod/iphone apps.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
This actually happens, around 3-4 years ago I was on the i90 express lanes leaving Seattle and had a van full of people come down one of the mercer island exits the wrong way. Luckily the express lanes were empty except for me because it was a weird time of day and I was able to stop in time and they noticed right away that they were going the wrong way. And yes it had one of those baby on board stickers, that was the best part (I stayed pulled over until I knew they turned around to make sure I didn't need to call 911 or something)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah I suppose my Seattle data is about 15 years out of date. I only visit there once a year or so anymore.

Let's just go with "my post is what the design intention was, not what reality produced."

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

I was going about 70mph and someone in a generic midsize passed me. They had a donut spare on the right front tire.

75mph on a donut :gonk:

Similar, a guy in an Eclipse with a donut on the front left, only he was going at least 85 and weaving through traffic, including almost smashing into me while I was driving in the left lane and he decided to drift over into the space my car was currently occupying.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Man, you guys make me want a dash cam so hard. Now that I've got a car with working door locks, I think I'm going to make this a reality. I've seen a few that are integrated rear-view mirrors. Basically they just replace the rear-view you already have. Anyone know if they're any good? My Sportwagen rearview mirror is nothing special, just a piece of glass, so I don't mind dumping it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
There's nothing special about the stock sportwagen mirror it does not have auto dimming or garage door controls.

Edit: this thread makes me want a dashcam for my cars too

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

trouser chili posted:

Man, you guys make me want a dash cam so hard. Now that I've got a car with working door locks, I think I'm going to make this a reality. I've seen a few that are integrated rear-view mirrors. Basically they just replace the rear-view you already have. Anyone know if they're any good? My Sportwagen rearview mirror is nothing special, just a piece of glass, so I don't mind dumping it.

My only problem with those is they basically clip on top of your existing mirror rather than replace it.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

BraveUlysses posted:

There's nothing special about the stock sportwagen mirror it does not have auto dimming or garage door controls.

Edit: this thread makes me want a dashcam for my cars too

Yeah I know, that's what I was saying I think. I was actually kinda taken aback at just how plain and chintzy it seems. It's rather out of place with the rest if the interior. Its like they finished the interior and while it's not fancy or elaborate, it's made from nice, well-fitting materials. Then someone at the last minute realized it didn't have a rearview, ran out to the parts bins and all they could find was a box of 10-year old Daewoo rejects.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's weird on the bus, as I hear the dispatcher on the driver's radio announce when they're changing the express lanes and what direction it will be.

KozmoNaut posted:

Saw a dude at the lights today floor it and lay on the horn because a woman and her little girl were still crossing by the time the light changed :catstare:

Don't you live in a Scandinavian country? Aren't you guys supposed to be better than us??

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dashcams are cool, but I'd probably end up getting sued for putting videos of people doing dumb poo poo on youtube and not blanking their license plate.

Really that's all I can see coming out of it.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Let me tell you about a friend of mine. This is a guy who bought a $180 starter for his Ford Explorer before I crawled under it and realized the starter terminal bolts were loose and the connection to the battery had corroded. I cleaned up and tightened the connectors. That fixed the problem. He returned the starter, and later blew the $180 on crap.

This guy nearly rear ended a car because he wasn't paying attention. When he finally noticed the line of traffic in front of him, he jammed on his brakes. I was following him and had to immediately swerve into another lane to avoid rear ending him.

Last week he convinced me to run him up to a shop to replace the battery in his SUV (it was well past warranty anyway and winter's coming) We get the battery in and his headlights come on. He forgot to turn them off, tried to blame it on his kids.

Today I was over at his house to light his furnace because he doesn't know how to, in spite of there being instructions clearly written on the furnace, which I informed him of last year.

I worry about him sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Someone like that, it might be better to light his gas furnace for him rather than trust him to do it...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/indianapolis-house-explosion-suspect-charged-murder-hire-plot/story?id=18837371