Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

These day of release review embargoes are absolutely ridiculous. Games journalism once again proves it's a cesspit of brown-nosing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Flunchy posted:

These day of release review embargoes are absolutely ridiculous. Games journalism once again proves it's a cesspit of brown-nosing.

Movies reviews often have embargos as well. So do books for that matter.

The game isn't going anywhere. If you're unsure about it then don't preorder it and wait for the reviews. You'll be able to buy it instantly on Steam or buy it from the store for the same price. Most first-runs will probably continue to include the Deathstroke DLC (as all "this preorder bonus is everywhere" things do) so you won't even miss out on that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 23, 2013

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Movies reviews often have embargos as well. So do books for that matter.

Yeah, but day of release embargoes in other entertainment industries are usually a big flashing warning sign to expect extreme shittiness.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh man that trailer has me pumped up - I know I'm just getting what is essentially an Arkham City reskin and that I should probably be pissed off, but I loved Arkham City, so... welp! v:shobon:v

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Yeah, but day of release embargoes in other entertainment industries are usually a big flashing warning sign to expect extreme shittiness.

Not really, no. It used to be that way but it's kind of changed. The big switchover was the rise of the internet reviewing culture. Prior to the internet embargos were less important because you had a solid coherent idea of when a review was going to go out and who it was going to reach. Now you've got a hundred and fifty blogs all rushing to be the first to post a review of any given product and embargos are kind of necessary to prevent a bunch of lovely places from pushing out a review ASAP in order to generate hits by being the first. (And even then you get plenty of 'accidental' first reviews which inevitably get linked all over the place.)

It isn't universal. There are obviously bad companies that try to cover bad products by hiding reviews. There are also companies that like to save the barrage of good reviews until just before the product comes out because a massive influx of positive press can have a seriously good impact on sales. (GTAV's embargo was the day before it came out from what I recall and there are tons of big blockbusters which tend to get reviews dropped 1-2 days before the movie comes out.)

As I said, just don't preorder if you're unsure about the game. You won't lose anything (aside from some crappy preorder items) and if it turns out to be good you can just buy it from a store or off Steam. Preordering is basically a bad idea unless you're buying some super-niche title that you absolutely have to have a physical version of.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 23, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Oh man that trailer has me pumped up - I know I'm just getting what is essentially an Arkham City reskin and that I should probably be pissed off, but I loved Arkham City, so... welp! v:shobon:v

As long as it's not "Here's Arkham City, just told differently with different people" and it's just "here's Arkham City but the story is different", I'd be ok with it.

I'd expect it to do more than Spider-Man 3, for example, which wasn't even a step forward. Also, doesn't Rocksteady basically welcome this game as canon in the Batman Arkham line?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
The Animated Series episode Mad Love did a great job showing Harley's descent and how painfully possible it is for her to shape up if she really tried. Injustice had Alternate Earth Harley meeting another Joker and realizing how terrible he is.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Also, doesn't Rocksteady basically welcome this game as canon in the Batman Arkham line?
What the hell are they going to say? "Guys, this one sucks! We shouldn't have trusted them!"

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

redbackground posted:

What the hell are they going to say? "Guys, this one sucks! We shouldn't have trusted them!"

:v: More likely just make another Origins-style game...which I think the current rumor is that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Personally, I'd like it if there were three Batman games made by WB Montreal and three by Rocksteady.

Of course, that would lead to the inevitable debate about which three games are better. :v:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

The Animated Series episode Mad Love did a great job showing Harley's descent and how painfully possible it is for her to shape up if she really tried. Injustice had Alternate Earth Harley meeting another Joker and realizing how terrible he is.

Injustice is odd since it's been used to tell some really interesting stories.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Action Tortoise posted:

Unfortunately this was after she was already established as her own character who became self-dependent and she re-fell in love with him after he beat her up. Injustice's story fittingly enough does no justice to Harley and she just acts Joker's girl until he attempts to kill her for the umpteenth time and she's finally like "Wow, what an rear end in a top hat."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Unfortunately this was after she was already established as her own character who became self-dependent and she re-fell in love with him after he beat her up. Injustice's story fittingly enough does no justice to Harley and she just acts Joker's girl until he attempts to kill her for the umpteenth time and she's finally like "Wow, what an rear end in a top hat."

Yeah, for all of the trailer hype about how independent Harley was, she was blindly subordinate to him even though she was trying to become a hero and go straight.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Azubah posted:

Injustice is odd since it's been used to tell some really interesting stories.

I still haven't gotten to play Injustice. Gonna get the PS4 version for sure.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

BreakAtmo posted:

I still haven't gotten to play Injustice. Gonna get the PS4 version for sure.

I think he's talking about the tie-in comic, which after the first few awkward issues did some really neat stuff.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Veotax posted:

I think he's talking about the tie-in comic, which after the first few awkward issues did some really neat stuff.

Ohhhh, yes, I heard about that. Still gonna get the game though - it's the only fighting game available for the PS4 launch. Injustice VS. Killer Instinct.

coRRale
Mar 22, 2005

Bloop
Did they push the date up? It says its gonna unlock on the 24th now.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

coRRale posted:

Did they push the date up? It says its gonna unlock on the 24th now.

Must have. Niiiiiice.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Oh God drat it. Now it's really seeming like I shouldn't have pre-ordered it at Gamestop if everything but Gamestop is releasing it early.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Beeez posted:

Oh God drat it. Now it's really seeming like I shouldn't have pre-ordered it at Gamestop if everything but Gamestop is releasing it early.

Amazon isn't last I checked. :(

Actually, it looks like the PC version is out today on Amazon and tomorrow on Steam:

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Arkham...+arkham+origins

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 23, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nooo, I've got it all pre-loaded but I won't be able to play it for at least a couple of days. gently caress!

willjbish
Nov 8, 2011
PC version is Steamworks right? Wouldn't the Steam unlock time override Amazons "available now" for the digital download?

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

willjbish posted:

PC version is Steamworks right? Wouldn't the Steam unlock time override Amazons "available now" for the digital download?

Yes, it may accept the retail code but you will still have to wait until the release day to play it. And yeah it's steamworks, just need to look at the last line of product description. They're probably giving them out now so it can be preloaded.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Bloody Zavvi sent my copy out yesterday, was hoping it would arrive today but after getting home from work it wasn't there. Should arrive tomorrow though. Someone at work said reviews were out already but that can't be true if embargoes are still up I guess.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
'This game will unlock in approximately 23 hours' aaaa

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If I don't pre-order, is the game still worth getting new? IE is there a catwoman-style free DLC I'd be missing out on if I waited to buy it used?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Does getting a free download code for this game with my graphics card count as a preorder? Apparently I can't redeem it on the Nvidia site until the game actually launches, but from what I can tell it's just going to open it up for download on Steam once I do anyway. Missing out on a Deathstroke costume isn't going to make me skip the game out of spite, but it would be a nice bonus.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face

ThermoPhysical posted:

Amazon isn't last I checked. :(

Actually, it looks like the PC version is out today on Amazon and tomorrow on Steam:

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Arkham...+arkham+origins

Okay so you can buy and download and play this game RIGHT NOW from Amazon; true or false?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

Okay so you can buy and download and play this game RIGHT NOW from Amazon; true or false?

No, they would just send you a Steam code which you would input, and get to play when it comes out on Steam. Amazon doesn't have an actual different version that arrives earlier.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Uh, a release day embargo pretty much shows the opposite of that.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
GTA V had an embargo for the day before the game was released and it got amazing reviews.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Uh question, if I got a steam key from someone else for this does that mean I get the pre-purchase DLC stuff or do I have to buy it directly from Steam to get it?

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Uh question, if I got a steam key from someone else for this does that mean I get the pre-purchase DLC stuff or do I have to buy it directly from Steam to get it?

Depends on who you bought it from. Most retail outlets have the preorder stuff. If you're redeeming an Nvidia code, probably not. I went the Nvidia code on Ebay route, I'll pick up Deathstroke in a Steam sale if the Nvidia code doesn't unlock him.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Does getting a free download code for this game with my graphics card count as a preorder? Apparently I can't redeem it on the Nvidia site until the game actually launches, but from what I can tell it's just going to open it up for download on Steam once I do anyway. Missing out on a Deathstroke costume isn't going to make me skip the game out of spite, but it would be a nice bonus.

Buh? I redeemed my nvidia code months ago.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Uh, a release day embargo pretty much shows the opposite of that.

AC was release day embargo'd. A few people on reddit have gotten it early and have posted impressions (may be lying, it is reddit after all.). Seems to be like a 7 to 9 ish rating. Most people say the story is actually a highlight this time round though, which is nice.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mr.Citrus posted:

Most people say the story is actually a highlight this time round though, which is nice.

Best news I've heard all day. Did they say anything about the random crimes across the city? How do those play out exactly (no spoilers if possible)?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr.Citrus posted:

AC was release day embargo'd. A few people on reddit have gotten it early and have posted impressions (may be lying, it is reddit after all.). Seems to be like a 7 to 9 ish rating. Most people say the story is actually a highlight this time round though, which is nice.

I've been keeping an eye on leaks and so far most of the complaints appear to be in the area of "it's more of the same" and not "holy poo poo how did they gently caress up this bad." If you're expecting a big improvement you'll probably be disappointed but it doesn't sound like this is an Assassin's Creed 3 or anything.

Of course we could have a surprise coming but if so it's not something popping up clearly anywhere.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I can't loving wait to fight Lady Shiva.

Orv
May 4, 2011
My Origins preload just downloaded an inexplicable number of bytes, but download them it did. The world may never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Been watching the first levels on YouTube, and it looks Perry dam solid. Not sure how I feel about major cutescenes being obvious cgi though. That happened in city but it just used game assets and largely normal looking lighting. This looks really different.

• Locked thread