Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Yes, because a speculative theory about a comic deserves only the most rigorous logical analysis. I withdraw my idea for how things could potentially turn out on the grounds that I could not get it published in Nature it is too similar to an Elvis/AIDS conspiracy theory.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

Yes, because a speculative theory about a comic deserves only the most rigorous logical analysis. I withdraw my idea for how things could potentially turn out on the grounds that I could not get it published in Nature it is too similar to an Elvis/AIDS conspiracy theory.

Ha ha, yeah I was about to say...

Ymir ate Berrik, maybe this made her regain her humanity, maybe not. It's all speculation. I'm on the side of "It did not" because I think they would have talked about it in the forest.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
This is a story, stories are governed by conservation of narrative detail. How did Bert/Reiner/Annie fall into the exact same class as Eren, when they could have joined a year earlier or a year later? Why did Pixis stop the cannon just in the nick of time? How did Madoka and Hitomi just happen to run into each other on the street after the latter was cursed by a witch? Why did Matarael just happen to attack on the day Kaji sabotaged the power? Because causal relationships occur in stories that wouldn't otherwise occur in reality.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs

Phobophilia posted:

How did Bert/Reiner/Annie fall into the exact same class as Eren, when they could have joined a year earlier or a year later?

To be honest, I kinda suspect that the titans knew who Eren's father is and deliberately were keeping an eye on him. (Though I see what you're getting at and it in no way ruins the story for it to be pure coincidence.) It's fun to speculate.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Wrong Thread.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

edit: moved this post to the anime thread.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 22, 2013

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Phobophilia posted:

This is a story, stories are governed by conservation of narrative detail. How did Bert/Reiner/Annie fall into the exact same class as Eren, when they could have joined a year earlier or a year later? Why did Pixis stop the cannon just in the nick of time? How did Madoka and Hitomi just happen to run into each other on the street after the latter was cursed by a witch? Why did Matarael just happen to attack on the day Kaji sabotaged the power? Because causal relationships occur in stories that wouldn't otherwise occur in reality.

Hell, i've had bigger coincidences happen in my life. They're just not related to the fate of the world. Reality can be pretty drat weird.

Narahari
Apr 12, 2009
For weird theories, what if King Kong didn't come from outside the walls, but rather from inside? If, say, he had been kept underground for a long while, he might not have much idea of what human technology was like (no need for 3dmg down there). Perhaps a century of rolling barrels at Mario kept him too busy? Now he can finally escape back out into the jungle to gather forces for revenge on his captors, which is part of what freaks out the infiltrators. That would be an interesting, and I can see it offering enough insight to what has happened to be possible, in terms of the narrative.

I'm currently mulling over what the wall cult secrets might be. If they were important enough even for the nearly-phony priest to be willing to die rather than talk, even in seemingly the face of the annihilation of the city. Seems like it would need to be something beyond just the nature of the titans, since even explaining that they were behind all the titans wouldn't really change facts on the ground too much, I think. Titans still want to kill people, and I'm not sure popular revolt is a real threat from this particular population.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Narahari posted:

For weird theories, what if King Kong didn't come from outside the walls, but rather from inside? If, say, he had been kept underground for a long while, he might not have much idea of what human technology was like (no need for 3dmg down there). Perhaps a century of rolling barrels at Mario kept him too busy? Now he can finally escape back out into the jungle to gather forces for revenge on his captors, which is part of what freaks out the infiltrators. That would be an interesting, and I can see it offering enough insight to what has happened to be possible, in terms of the narrative.

What is this based off of? If you're just going to wildly speculate based off of nothing you might as well say the people inside the wall are actually descendants of Lilliput and the monkey titan is Dr. Zaius out for an evening stroll.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

The shifters know about the Ape Titan without having seen him. Most likely he's been drawn to the city for some reason, scaled the wall at a location they would be watching, and spawned all the titans within wall rose.

The question is, why is it an ape in the first place? So far titans all take on a human form, was he/she an intelligent ape before becoming a titan?

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Sunday morning, I told my wife about this manga/anime (mostly the manga). I very briefly explained about Eren and the Titans and how little we actually know about any of the answers to the big questions. Then, I explained that it's a series with monthly chapters, and we're currently on chapter 50.

She said, "You mean, after four years, that's all you know?"

I hadn't really thought about it much, but the manga began in September 2009, and it's been just over four years, and we really don't know much yet. In fact, you could pretty-much say we've finally gotten our real first answer. Sure, Eren and the gang, all being human titans, were answers of a sort, but really they were just setup informational pieces, providing us with a desire for real answers. In fact, if you think about it, it seems to me that most of these last four years have been more or less a setup period. The characters have been established, the major reveals have occurred, now we can forward. I hope.

We know why Eren is so important to the other human titans. I'm hoping next month, we'll get more answers. Maybe Annie will come out of her crystalline shell? Maybe they'll actually visit the Jaeger cellar? I predict we're going to be getting some answers in the next few months. I think it's high time the mangaka started filling in the blanks.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Dan7el posted:

Sunday morning, I told my wife about this manga/anime (mostly the manga). I very briefly explained about Eren and the Titans and how little we actually know about any of the answers to the big questions. Then, I explained that it's a series with monthly chapters, and we're currently on chapter 50.

She said, "You mean, after four years, that's all you know?"

I hadn't really thought about it much, but the manga began in September 2009, and it's been just over four years, and we really don't know much yet. In fact, you could pretty-much say we've finally gotten our real first answer. Sure, Eren and the gang, all being human titans, were answers of a sort, but really they were just setup informational pieces, providing us with a desire for real answers. In fact, if you think about it, it seems to me that most of these last four years have been more or less a setup period. The characters have been established, the major reveals have occurred, now we can forward. I hope.

We know why Eren is so important to the other human titans. I'm hoping next month, we'll get more answers. Maybe Annie will come out of her crystalline shell? Maybe they'll actually visit the Jaeger cellar? I predict we're going to be getting some answers in the next few months. I think it's high time the mangaka started filling in the blanks.

I think the opposite, I imagine the next chapter is going to be a "cool-down" chapter that just setups the next arc. Maybe it'll focus on Reiner and Berthold or the Titan village, or a flashback sequence. I could see with Eren's new power the end of the arc is the Recon Corps finally reaching the basement and getting a exposition dump.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Wagatsuma-san wa Ore no Yome is a somewhat ecchi manga I should be ashamed to admit I read, but the latest issue has a titan cameo that gave me a pretty good laugh:

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/202095/wagatsuma-san-wa-ore-no-yome_v7_ch40_by_underdog-scans/9

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Dan7el posted:

In fact, you could pretty-much say we've finally gotten our real first answer. ... We know why Eren is so important to the other human titans. I'm hoping next month, we'll get more answers. Maybe Annie will come out of her crystalline shell? Maybe they'll actually visit the Jaeger cellar? I predict we're going to be getting some answers in the next few months. I think it's high time the mangaka started filling in the blanks.
We've known why he was important, or have had reasonable reasons to assume we did. He is another shifter that no one knew about, so they decided they needed to capture him and bring him back to find out what the hell is going on. They didn't know he had/was the "coordinate" until the most recent issue, and only one of them even speculated he might have/be it a couple issues prior in an offhand kind of way.

The "real answer" we got was to the question "What were the titans after when they sent the three shifters into the city?" and not so much "Why is Eren important enough to derail their plans?" The answer to that one is pretty obvious. He's a shifter and could wreck their poo poo.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 23, 2013

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Correct me if I'm missing/forgetting something, but if the original plan was to kill all humans inside the wall, why didn't the shifters press the attack after they breached wall Maria?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

threeagainstfour posted:

Correct me if I'm missing/forgetting something, but if the original plan was to kill all humans inside the wall, why didn't the shifters press the attack after they breached wall Maria?

There's almost certainly more to the shifters' motivations than the destruction of humanity inside the walls. They wouldn't have infiltrated the military if there wasn't something else going on.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 15, 2013

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

threeagainstfour posted:

I posted this in the previous page.

quote:

Yeah, there really isn't enough evidence for reasons as to why they wanted to destroy the humans within the walls. Maybe they wanted to live in the walls, or there is something there. We really don't know.

But for whatever reason, when Eren had the possibility of being the titan king they switched plans. His power to command titans overrides the objective to destroy the humans in the walls. It's pointed out by Ymir that Bert, Reiner, and Annie are just pawns of the titan shifter faction. To make such a big decision for their whole faction at such a low rank, Eren's power completely overrides the need to kill the humans in the walls.

So for whatever reason, Eren being the coordinate means they don't have to genocide the humans behind the walls.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I think the opposite, I imagine the next chapter is going to be a "cool-down" chapter that just setups the next arc. Maybe it'll focus on Reiner and Berthold or the Titan village, or a flashback sequence. I could see with Eren's new power the end of the arc is the Recon Corps finally reaching the basement and getting a exposition dump.
The last time I thought there was going to be a cool-down chapter (after all the crazy poo poo that happened with Ymir) we got Reiner dropping the biggest bomb in the whole series. Not a bad thing; I love it when that poo poo happens.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

If we get any exposition at all it will be an absolute tease, just enough to keep us blue balled for a few months. Each new dramabomb seems to create more questions than it answers.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I posted this in the previous page.

So for whatever reason, Eren being the coordinate means they don't have to genocide the humans behind the walls.

That's not how I interpreted things. It's not that they don't have to, it's that they can't, now. The humans inside the walls have their trump card, now.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
I started reading this series due to the OP and I finished book 4. I'm greatly enjoying it, though there is one part so far that has bugged me. Where the hell did that boulder come from? Did they just have it? How the gently caress'd it get there if the tech to move it (like some guy says) isn't available or doesn't exist? I assume the plan to move it was to use lots of horses or something, but how the hell'd it get wedged in that corner of the town in the first place? Either Armin was completely wrong about the rock being there to plug the hole and the rock is in fact just some decoration put to good use, or it must have taken some extreme effort to put it there and there was just no time to do it under attack. How did they get it there in the first place if that tech isn't around?

It doesn't feel like a little thing to get hung up on because a lot of stuff rides on moving that rock. It's kind of a big deal. All I want to know is where the gently caress this giant rock even came from and what the plan with it was in the first place. Does anyone know what the gently caress was up with that rock? Is it something that's explained later or do the humans just have a giant rock for no reason?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

SSJ Reeko posted:

I started reading this series due to the OP and I finished book 4. I'm greatly enjoying it, though there is one part so far that has bugged me. Where the hell did that boulder come from? Did they just have it? How the gently caress'd it get there if the tech to move it (like some guy says) isn't available or doesn't exist? I assume the plan to move it was to use lots of horses or something, but how the hell'd it get wedged in that corner of the town in the first place? Either Armin was completely wrong about the rock being there to plug the hole and the rock is in fact just some decoration put to good use, or it must have taken some extreme effort to put it there and there was just no time to do it under attack. How did they get it there in the first place if that tech isn't around?

It doesn't feel like a little thing to get hung up on because a lot of stuff rides on moving that rock. It's kind of a big deal. All I want to know is where the gently caress this giant rock even came from and what the plan with it was in the first place. Does anyone know what the gently caress was up with that rock? Is it something that's explained later or do the humans just have a giant rock for no reason?

It was a chunk of the wall that the Colossal Titan kicked out, I believe.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I always thought it was the huge chunk cut out from when the Armored Titan ran through the gate in the beginning. It's pretty silly that he'd cut a huge clean hole but that's all I could think of. It doesn't matter anyway, there's more outlandish poo poo at work here.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
It could just be a huge rock that was always there. Those things exist.

redneck sushi
Aug 5, 2013

threeagainstfour posted:

The question is, why is it an ape in the first place? So far titans all take on a human form, was he/she an intelligent ape before becoming a titan?

I always thought that monkey titan was a titan shifter that could somehow customize its titan form to some degree and chose to have ape physical characteristics at that time since they'd be usefull to climb the walls. But then again, Annie could do it too so I don't know.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Captain Backslap posted:

The way it was presented made it sound like it was supposed to be part of an emergency plug, but wasn#t moved yet because of lack of money or trying to avoid facing facts. Humanity trying desperately to ignore the titans outside the walls is a major theme, after all.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

ArchangeI posted:

The way it was presented made it sound like it was supposed to be part of an emergency plug, but wasn#t moved yet because of lack of money or trying to avoid facing facts. Humanity trying desperately to ignore the titans outside the walls is a major theme, after all.

That doesn't really change the possibility that it was always there. If you're emergency plan calls for a giant plug, and you happen to have a great big boulder handy for the task then why not use it?

This also makes the most sense because if it they were planning to move it near the gate for emergencies, it probably couldn't have come FROM the wall during said emergency.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Not to mention we have an idea of what the walls are made of, they're hollow, there's no big volume of material you can whittle a great big boulder out of.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Phobophilia posted:

Not to mention we have an idea of what the walls are made of, they're hollow, there's no big volume of material you can whittle a great big boulder out of.
The walls, yes.

The gates, no.

When the Armored Titan smashed through the gate, it destroyed a significant portion of it and sent it flying, not just the mechanism part. This could be where it came from, or it could've always been there. It's irrelevant anyways.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The walls are made of Titans; perhaps the boulder is made of a Titan too.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Captain Backslap posted:

This is how it sounded in the anime and how it read in the manga. It was a rock that had been there since the town was erected and after the first Titan attack, it was seen as a possible way to permanently block the gate in case the government won out against the scouts and decided, hey, let's not bother with gates and just permanently close everything. However, during the talks about using it, they discovered that there was probably no technological way to do it at this point in time. Before the initial Titan attack, it was just a huge rock that got in the way.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

JosephWongKS posted:

The walls are made of Titans; perhaps the boulder is made of a Titan too.

They'll develop microscopes at some point and discover that our cells are made of tiny Titans like that Itchy and Scratchy bit on the Simpsons.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

HoneyBoy posted:

I always thought it was the huge chunk cut out from when the Armored Titan ran through the gate in the beginning. It's pretty silly that he'd cut a huge clean hole but that's all I could think of. It doesn't matter anyway, there's more outlandish poo poo at work here.

If we're talking about the boulder that Erin used to block up the hole in Trost, the Armored Titan didn't have anything to do with that attack. The boulder appears to be in some kind of boulder park. There are benches that face it and there is a sign in front of it. Considering how far away Trost is from Shiganshina, it doesn't seem likely that it's from the first attack. It's also off to the right of the hole that the Colossal Titan opened up in Trost. So it looks like something that the humans made for some reason. Maybe an attempt at a giant cannonball for an experimental cannon?

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Gyges posted:

So it looks like something that the humans made for some reason. Maybe an attempt at a giant cannonball for an experimental cannon?

I thought the idea was they always intended to plug up the hole in the Shiganshina wall, so they were excavating it in Trost because it was the closest place they could get without being in Titan territory. They didn't have the means to move it with any sort of efficiency, but I think they figured it would be better to have it than not.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
That thing looked like it had been there for ages, it looked like they built around it. How could they move it past the gate anyway?

There is one thing that has been bothering me lately. If titans are less active (or not active at all, not clear) at night wouldn't the expeditions outside the walls be much safer during night time? They could probably make it all the way to wall Maria in one night, rest on top of it during the next day and go to the basement the night after that.

Hell, they could even start working on closing the gap on Maria in night shifts. And why aren't the walls interconnected anyway? If there were a couple of "spokes" connecting each wall defense would be incredibly more effective and even in the worst case scenario there would be no need to abandon entire walls. Not partitioning the interior into smaller sections seems like an incredible oversight.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

MeLKoR posted:

That thing looked like it had been there for ages, it looked like they built around it. How could they move it past the gate anyway?

There is one thing that has been bothering me lately. If titans are less active (or not active at all, not clear) at night wouldn't the expeditions outside the walls be much safer during night time? They could probably make it all the way to wall Maria in one night, rest on top of it during the next day and go to the basement the night after that.

Hell, they could even start working on closing the gap on Maria in night shifts. And why aren't the walls interconnected anyway? If there were a couple of "spokes" connecting each wall defense would be incredibly more effective and even in the worst case scenario there would be no need to abandon entire walls. Not partitioning the interior into smaller sections seems like an incredible oversight.

Its almost as if the walls weren't even built by humans...

Also Hanji notes that the larger classes of titans stay active longer, so it isn't that unimaginable that the 15m classes stay active all night. Its not like the sun goes down and all the titans fall over. Plus riding around forests in the pitch dark at high speed is not exactly safe, either.

ArchangeI fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 24, 2013

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ArchangeI posted:

Its almost as if the walls weren't even built by humans...
Oh c'mon, really? That's your argument? The walls are meant as defensive structures regardless of who built them.

quote:

Also Hanji notes that the larger classes of titans stay active longer, so it isn't that unimaginable that the 15m classes stay active all night. Its not like the sun goes down and all the titans fall over. Plus riding around forests in the pitch dark at high speed is not exactly safe, either.

They certainly have roads between settlements no? How did they move around? Make a discreet bee line for wall Maria with a dozen elite soldiers and odds are much better that the usual suicidal extravaganzas they do once in a while. The titans don't think, there's no reason there would be a higher concentration of titans around roads than elsewhere and the reduced visibility at night would work both ways.

MajikMissile
Nov 13, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

Oh c'mon, really? That's your argument? The walls are meant as defensive structures regardless of who built them.

Well as various people have pointed out here on the thread, and even in the anime theme song, the humans are very cattle-esque. If they were meant to be a way to corral humans optimizing for defense might not have been a priority. I'm sure that farmers could build a kick rear end fort for their cows if they wanted to, but why bother? There's also the fact that they may have run out of wall titans to build with and figured three walls were better than two sectioned off walls. Not that I know any more than anyone else, I'm just trying to play devil's advocate and say there are possible legitimate reasons the walls were constructed that way.

As for why the humans didn't do it in their century of peace, well, they're dumb. It would be expensive and time consuming to accomplish, caused the general population to worry that there was a reason to think parts of the wall would be breached, and besides the walls have worked just fine. What are the odds of three child soldiers with super powers showing up tomorrow?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MeLKoR posted:

Maybe not. Maybe they are meant to keep humans in as much as titans out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If they were meant to keep humans in, they wouldn't have gates.