Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ShineDog posted:

Been watching the first levels on YouTube, and it looks Perry dam solid. Not sure how I feel about major cutescenes being obvious cgi though. That happened in city but it just used game assets and largely normal looking lighting. This looks really different.

As long as it looks better and not like most games these days where the cutscene comes in and looks worse than the game I'm playing because it's badly compressed 720p or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

ShineDog posted:

Buh? I redeemed my nvidia code months ago.

Oh. Well I guess someone stole my activation code in that case. I thought it was just giving me a "not valid or already redeemed" error because the code couldn't be activated until the actual release date. Hopefully I can sort it out before it actually launches.

e: or I guess there are other errors that people have been getting and it has to get resolved by emailing the Geforce moderators. Sending a Steam code directly would have been easier.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 24, 2013

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

DrNutt posted:

As long as it looks better and not like most games these days where the cutscene comes in and looks worse than the game I'm playing because it's badly compressed 720p or some poo poo.

Maybe they do look good, and that's where a lot of the 16.2GB comes from? How large was City on PC, anyway?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BreakAtmo posted:

Maybe they do look good, and that's where a lot of the 16.2GB comes from? How large was City on PC, anyway?

19 gigabats. Though that's the GOTY version so depending on the Origins DLC that comes out it could easily top 20. I don't know how big vanilla AC was.

Orv
May 4, 2011

DrNutt posted:

19 gigabats. Though that's the GOTY version so depending on the Origins DLC that comes out it could easily top 20. I don't know how big vanilla AC was.

My non-GOTY City install says 17 and for whatever reason I remember Harley is about 2, so 15, give or take a few MB.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

BreakAtmo posted:

I still haven't gotten to play Injustice. Gonna get the PS4 version for sure.

Is it going to be different from the PS3/360 versions somehow? Aside from better graphics I guess.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

raditts posted:

Is it going to be different from the PS3/360 versions somehow? Aside from better graphics I guess.

it will probably be a port of the PC version since most titles aren't taking full advantage of the new hardware at launch and are just ports of other titles anyway.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

raditts posted:

Probably not. They've said it's 'remastered'. I hope that means better textures/models/particle effects, not just the PS3 version in 1080p. I guess we'll know soon.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Human Crouton posted:

I can't loving wait to fight Lady Shiva.

She is going to kick my rear end :ohdear:

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
What are some of the best Black Mask comic stories, if any? I'd like to know about whether or not Origins remains faithful to the character or just go crazy on their own path.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

So it looks like the big plot twist spoiled earlier is true and it is stupid and I am angry about video games

Here's something that's not stupid though, the soundtrack :buddy:
I really like all the Carol of the Bells in there. My brother wants to get this game for Christmas, so I'm really hoping that the whole "takes place on Christmas Eve" thing is done well. :3:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jerusalem posted:

She is going to kick my rear end :ohdear:
Just when you think you beat her she goes into mecha shiva mode :gonk:

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face

Aphrodite posted:

Uh, a release day embargo pretty much shows the opposite of that.

Ah jeez! The person I quoted indicated that the game was out earlier than usual, but thankfully you came along, and informed me otherwise! Unfortunately, you did it in a lovely way, which sucks! Your lovely way sucks a whole lot! Your lovely way was probably awesome for you, but not for me! For me, it sucked! For you, it ruled! I guess that's why you said it the way you did. Oh well! The end!

Dr VideoGames 0.299 fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 24, 2013

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Plus most games now a days are day one embargo because launch day patches give them more time to fix problems. Publishers don't want reviews of prepatched games.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

randombattle posted:

Plus most games now a days are day one embargo because launch day patches give them more time to fix problems. Publishers don't want reviews of prepatched games.

The reviewers still get the game well before launch day, day one patches don't really affect reviews that much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

randombattle posted:

Day one patches are rarely included with review copies.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

No but in all but the most high profile games reviews don't go up the second the embargo is up. Which for a lost of cases is post launch patch which allows for problems to be accounted for. It's an overly complicated and stupid system.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Sleepy Owl posted:

So it looks like the big plot twist spoiled earlier is true and it is stupid and I am angry about video games.

Wait which one? The stupid annoying one our the pants on head level conspiracy one?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

The first one.

VVV

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh balls.

According to someone near the ending, not only is the Joker the main villain, he's actually the one who hired the assassins. Black Mask apparently is his hostage for the whole game and has a minimal role.

And he kills Electrocutioner.

Who could hate the conspiracy one, that one's amazing

edit: no one is ever interested in the soundtrack :saddowns:

cuntman.net fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 24, 2013

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Black Mask was used as Catwoman's main adversary for most of her pre-New 52 run, the one that started with Ed Brubaker on the title. Super, super recommended.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

100%-ed Asylum again, it feels better having those achievements completed again, though thank God I didn't have to redo all the challenges.

Now for City :shepface:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jetfire posted:

What are some of the best Black Mask comic stories, if any? I'd like to know about whether or not Origins remains faithful to the character or just go crazy on their own path.

Along his stuff with Catwoman mentioned above. He was the Main villain of the War games story line and Under the Hood Story line.

For his character they pretty much said they are changing very little about him. The guy on a pure Sadism level is worse then the Joker. He really enjoys torturing people and some of his most horrid acts happened. One of my favorite line from him was right before starting to torture someone was "Before we begin I would like to address the topic of screaming by saying this..... Go right ahead."

Black Mask has been on a steady rise in popularity. Formerly having been a D lister now having risen all the way up to B list and I would say starting to make his way over to A list. Thanks to heavy advertisement about him being the main villain of this game.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 24, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The animated film Batman: Under the Red Hood is pretty decent too. Coincidentally it has the same soundtrack composer as Origins.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The animated film Batman: Under the Red Hood is pretty decent too. Coincidentally it has the same soundtrack composer as Origins.

Black Mask is also a main villain in the movie just for more comparisons. It's probably one of the things that has helped his popularity.

Axialbloom
Jul 7, 2011

My life is a series of
lapses in judgement.

Jerusalem posted:

100%-ed Asylum again, it feels better having those achievements completed again, though thank God I didn't have to redo all the challenges.

Now for City :shepface:

Now that my Batman: AC has converted over to GOTY edition in steam, with all new achievements, I'm waiting for Halloween to visit Calendar Man for a bit of clock-fudging.:ssh: (I did it legitimately the first time around. Don't judge me).

Also how is it you didn't have to redo the challenges? Now that Batman:AA has shiny new steam achievements I've been tearing through the campaign, partly to reacquaint myself with (rusty) batman skills, but mainly because I am a slave to seeing that little corner box pop.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Black Mask is also a main villain in the movie just for more comparisons. It's probably one of the things that has helped his popularity.

Yeah, that was the main reason I suggested it, I probably shouldve mentioned it in the post.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Sleepy Owl posted:

edit: no one is ever interested in the soundtrack :saddowns:

I'll wait to hear if after playing the game, but I did listen to the Joker's theme. I hadn't expected Carol of the Bell could be threatning.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Iacen posted:

I'll wait to hear if after playing the game, but I did listen to the Joker's theme. I hadn't expected Carol of the Bell could be threatning.

Say what. Well now I am interested in the soundtrack. Not that I am not under normal circumstances but few games have good enough soundtracks to stand alone.

E: Alright that's pretty awesome. Carol of the Bells is one of my favorite pieces of music ever so it's always cool to hear good takes on it.

Orv fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 24, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Axialbloom posted:

Now that my Batman: AC has converted over to GOTY edition in steam, with all new achievements, I'm waiting for Halloween to visit Calendar Man for a bit of clock-fudging.:ssh: (I did it legitimately the first time around. Don't judge me).

Also how is it you didn't have to redo the challenges? Now that Batman:AA has shiny new steam achievements I've been tearing through the campaign, partly to reacquaint myself with (rusty) batman skills, but mainly because I am a slave to seeing that little corner box pop.

When I loaded up my old Asylum save (including actually hitting "Continue Story" in my previous 100% game) it gave me a number of achievements, including all the campaign achievements I'd gotten before, just leaving out most of the story ones.

Happily in Arkham City, loading up both my original 100% game and my 100% New Game+ (again, hitting Continue Story) also gave me a number of the achievements, including most of the campaign ones and (thank God) the Storyteller one. I still have to do the storyline achievements, and it seems to have lost some but not all of my DLC achievements too, but at least I don't have to get 70-80 medals per each character again :stare:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
This guy is streaming Origins right now, he seems pretty good at the game unlike many early streamers:

http://www.twitch.tv/drbo42

Some of the new moves I'm seeing are pretty sweet, I've seen at least 2 new ways to open up a fight that I want to try now.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
It's unlocked! Oh man, it's so hard to resist playing. It's 2:33am here right now, though, so I'm gonna grab some sleep and play it at 9am instead of being dumb and staying up. Have fun, everybody who IS staying up!

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Kiwis :argh:

I know there's a way to trick Steam into thinking you're from another region, I did it for the X-COM release last year, but I've never used it to get around restrictions based on time zone. Is that a thing?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
One thing I never understood about the pre-release material is that the developers kept saying "Batman must find Black Mask and find out why he is hiring assassins to kill him". But it seems fairly obvious why, Batman's been loving with Black Masks' business and he wants him taken out. I never got why the developers always emphasized that question.

But with that spoiler from before being true, I guess that was just the dev's way of hinting at that. A shame the crazy time travel conspiracy spoiler wasn't true, that would have been awesome.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
In regards to the plot twist I mentioned, it turns out that it doesn't actually occur at the end of the game, but towards the middle.

And the plot actually isn't all that bad despite that fact. It never really feels like Joker takes screentime away from Black Mask. I mean, he does, but it's not the Hugo Strange treatment from Arkham City.

The game's story is really fantastic. Probably the best in the series.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Any chance of any ign/gametrailers/whoever full reviews today?

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

redbackground posted:

Any chance of any ign/gametrailers/whoever full reviews today?

Probably not. The review embargo lifts at midnight.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Iacen posted:

I just listened to it and all I can say is, God, I wish it was Christmas.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3
For those who use VPNs to activate games early, Australia will decrypt Arkham Origins. Looks like no Deathstroke DLC for Nvidia code users.

Multiplayer and Singleplayer are two seperate .exes

Edit: I might be wrong about Deathstroke. Steam forums are saying he's there. I was assuming he wasn't because he doesn't show up under registered DLC. I'll let you know when it's done unpacking.

Edit 2: Deathstroke is included with Nvidia codes.

seal it with a kiss fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 24, 2013

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

seal it with a kiss posted:

For those who use VPNs to activate games early, Australia will decrypt Arkham Origins. Looks like no Deathstroke DLC for Nvidia code users.

Multiplayer and Singleplayer are two seperate .exes

Edit: I might be wrong about Deathstroke. Steam forums are saying he's there. I was assuming he wasn't because he doesn't show up under registered DLC. I'll let you know when it's done unpacking.

Edit 2: Deathstroke is included with Nvidia codes.

What do you mean by Australia will decrypt Arkham Origins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

MonsterEnvy posted:

What do you mean by Australia will decrypt Arkham Origins.

The game is out in Australia, so you can use a vpn to make your computer think it is in Australia to Decrypt the preload you downloaded on Steam.

Or you can wait til 6pm EST if you're in north america.

• Locked thread