Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The game's story is really fantastic. Probably the best in the series.

This is great news. It seemed like they had everything in place to tell a great Batman story, but City had me worrying. City had a cool premise- and the studio that made Arkham Asylum crafting it- but couldn't manage to do anything too impressive with it, save for having the balls to end it like they did.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Who is the writer or writers for this game? Someone said they did Assassin's Creed games?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Black Mask is also a main villain in the movie just for more comparisons. It's probably one of the things that has helped his popularity.

The best part of that movie is how out of nowhere they have to fight the main characters from SNES Ninja Warriors.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3
First impressions, no spoilers. I've beaten the first boss.

It's an Arkham game so far. Great combat and dripping with references. Make sure you turn on hints or otherwise counter-attack indicators won't show up over enemies' heads.

hojusimpson
Mar 30, 2011

seal it with a kiss posted:

First impressions, no spoilers. I've beaten the first boss.

It's an Arkham game so far. Great combat and dripping with references. Make sure you turn on hints or otherwise counter-attack indicators won't show up over enemies' heads.

Good to hear. Does the game seem more focused (like Asylum), or all over the place (like City at times)?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

hojusimpson posted:

Good to hear. Does the game seem more focused (like Asylum), or all over the place (like City at times)?

First boss is 15 minutes into the game.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Have the save files of completed Asylum and City on my PS3, but picking Origins up on Wii U for the gamepad functionality/usefulness - unless there's something extremely cool I'll miss out on by not having the previous game save files?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

15 minutes in and I'm trapped in a room I dont think I was supposed to be in, GOTY.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

First boss is 15 minutes into the game.

That's nice but it doesn't answer the question.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

One thing I never understood about the pre-release material is that the developers kept saying "Batman must find Black Mask and find out why he is hiring assassins to kill him". But it seems fairly obvious why, Batman's been loving with Black Masks' business and he wants him taken out. I never got why the developers always emphasized that question.

But with that spoiler from before being true, I guess that was just the dev's way of hinting at that. A shame the crazy time travel conspiracy spoiler wasn't true, that would have been awesome.

What's the time travel conspiracy?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

TheJoker138 posted:

What's the time travel conspiracy?

Someone started a rumor that the Joker in the past somehow saw he would die from TITAN usage in the future, so he's orchestrating the events of Origin as a way of having Batman take out Bane before he can be put in Arkham Asylum, so that future Joker won't poison himself. It's convoluted and crazy as hell, but this is a Joker plan we're talking about so- assuming we accept the implausible hook that kicks it all off- it's not outside of the realm of possibility.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

^That would be...insane, yeah.

Did the Steam unlock time just have 6 hours added onto it out of nowhere for anyone else?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

Did the Steam unlock time just have 6 hours added onto it out of nowhere for anyone else?
I was just reading the Steam forums about this, and it appears so. :sassargh::sassargh::sassargh:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 24, 2013

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

TheJoker138 posted:

It happened to me too. It's now unlocking around midnight EST

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Who is the writer or writers for this game? Someone said they did Assassin's Creed games?
I'm guessing the AC games have quite a diverse selection of writers, but the leads on this have written for every single main AC game, at least according to Wikipedia.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TheJoker138 posted:

Those motherfuckers! I was looking forward to playing this after I get off work.
Where's an emoticon of Batman shaking his fist when you need one, I guess this will have to do :arghfist:

I bet you were behind this, The Joker One Three Eight.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 24, 2013

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

havenwaters posted:

It happened to me too. It's now unlocking around midnight EST

Same. I'm pissed off now because I'm trying to plan a thing with some friends regarding the launch and they keep jerking us around on the date/time.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

raditts posted:

Those motherfuckers! I was looking forward to playing this after I get off work.
Where's an emoticon of Batman shaking his fist when you need one, I guess this will have to do :arghfist:

I bet you were behind this, The Joker One Three Eight.

One THIRTY EIGHT, thank you. Also I am clearly in a weird form of nonsexual love with Batman, why would I possibly want to keep him from getting here sooner?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

TheJoker138 posted:

One THIRTY EIGHT, thank you. Also I am clearly in a weird form of nonsexual love with Batman, why would I possibly want to keep him from getting here sooner?

Well, if you lived in Australia you would already have him and would be hogging him all to yourself right about now.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

havenwaters posted:

Well, if you lived in Australia you would already have him and would be hogging him all to yourself right about now.

This isn't Mark Millar's Wanted, I'm not moving to Australia.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

NattyBo posted:

Have the save files of completed Asylum and City on my PS3, but picking Origins up on Wii U for the gamepad functionality/usefulness - unless there's something extremely cool I'll miss out on by not having the previous game save files?

Nothing save file related as far as I know, but it should be noted the Wii U version is missing multiplayer mode.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Nothing save file related as far as I know, but it should be noted the Wii U version is missing multiplayer mode.

In exchange however it is cheaper. So at least they did something when they sold the Wii U short.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That's weird, it's still getting a midnight release over here in Europe according to Steam. That'd be in 3.5 hours.

Disorientated
Sep 1, 2006
Flyvpn free trial, Australian VPN server. That is all.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Disorientated posted:

Flyvpn free trial, Australian VPN server. That is all.

Also, you need to use the vpnu trial account, the vpnc account doesn't have the Australia server.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Already knew that and don't care since I don't want the MP anyway (appreciate them knocking off :10bux: tho!). Having played Arkham City on PS3 and Wii U, there's just no going back to being Batman without the game pad. Like I said I just don want to miss a major loyalty Easter egg if there is one based on previous game files, but I haven't read about anything like that so I should be ok.

GuyCastle
Jun 24, 2000

I've been playing it for a couple of hours, and coming fresh off an AC 100% run, the combat takes some getting used to. Seems like the enemies attack faster (on hard difficulty at least), and I need to counter a lot more than I did in AC. The combat is definitely a lot more challenging.

Small niggle though, and maybe it's just me, but the noisy smack sound from the previous games when you knock out an enemy completely is gone (well, not gone, but a lot harder to notice), which makes it kind of hard to tell when you've actually dispatched someone. I've messed up quite a few combos by trying to ground pound someone who was already out.

GuyCastle fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 24, 2013

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
The most important thing (beside the plot) is level design, really. How's it look so far?

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011
The showdown with the first assassin is sublime and worth the cost of the game alone.

Skychrono posted:

The most important thing (beside the plot) is level design, really. How's it look so far?

From what I can see, a little more janky. There are predator sections in the open world which aren't as tight as the small arenas in the previous games. Getting around the open world is also a little less intuitive, so far.

Great Enoch fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 24, 2013

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

GuyCastle posted:

I've been playing it for a couple of hours, and coming fresh off an AC 100% run, the combat takes some getting used to. Seems like the enemies attack faster (on hard difficulty at least), and I need to counter a lot more than I did in AC. The combat is definitely a lot more challenging.

Small niggle though, and maybe it's just me, but the noisy smack sound from the previous games when you knock out an enemy completely is gone (well, not gone, but a lot harder to notice), which makes it kind of hard to tell when you've actually dispatched someone. I've messed up quite a few combos by trying to ground pound someone who was already out.

I actually remember noticing this when I first played City as well. The timing of the hits was just a tiny tiny bit tweaked from Asylum and it took three or four brawls to get used to it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Great Enoch posted:

From what I can see, a little more janky. There are predator sections in the open world which aren't as tight as the small arenas in the previous games. Getting around the open world is also a little less intuitive, so far.

I did a lot of predator things using the environment around me in City, are these sections just closed off in the open world or are they just like that?

Also, does it make you feel like Batman more or less than the previous games?

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
Alrighty, I'm up.

It seems to be doing something, but it's not downloading any data - at least, not from what the Downloading section is telling me. Jumping between 20 minutes and 3 hours...

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

ThermoPhysical posted:

I did a lot of predator things using the environment around me in City, are these sections just closed off in the open world or are they just like that?

Also, does it make you feel like Batman more or less than the previous games?

No, the area is bigger this time around. There are two main big areas connected with a huge bridge. One is a part of a city with very tall buildings, reminiscent of Batman TAS and 1989 movie. The other is the original area from City but changed in few ways. The predator sections are open like in City.

Batman feels a bit slower this time around, his fighting is not as fluid as in Asylum but his moves feel heavier. The gliding is much better than in City though, it is easier to gain speed and height from the divebomb now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Doctor Albatross posted:

Alrighty, I'm up.

It seems to be doing something, but it's not downloading any data - at least, not from what the Downloading section is telling me. Jumping between 20 minutes and 3 hours...

It did the same to me but it is downloading.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 24, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Terminally Bored posted:

reminiscent of Batman TAS

You have, in 4 words, got me SUPER hype.

(I've been watching lots of B:TAS in preparation)

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
Oop, I paused it and then un-paused it, and now it says "unpacking". Makes sense.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Terminally Bored posted:

No, the area is bigger this time around. There are two main big areas connected with a huge bridge. One is a part of a city with very tall buildings, reminiscent of Batman TAS and 1989 movie. The other is the original area from City but changed in few ways. The predator sections are open like in City.

Batman feels a bit slower this time around, his fighting is not as fluid as in Asylum but his moves feel heavier. The gliding is much better than in City though, it is easier to gain speed and height from the divebomb now.

Have you encountered the martial artist enemy type yet? Does countering his counters feel frustrating or does the timing feel right? I guess his reduced movement is related to his bulkier suit.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I haven't, not yet. Fighting brutes is way more fun this time around, though.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

quote:

Heh. You know that is probably on purpose. In Arkham City, Batman said his large belt was slowing him down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Is the super fast series of punches still in this game?

• Locked thread