Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

Which one did you get? If I could get a SD card MP3 player instead of my AUX in, that would be awesome.
http://www.maintronic.de/en/products/cp600bmw-mp3-player.html

It's €230 (on ebay.de), so pretty expensive, but from what I've read, it's also by far the best MP3 solution. It emulates the CD changer, and allows 6 main folders with endless subfolders. You can navigate the music as you please, play random, configure it to show track titles on the navi screen, your MID/radio, even in the instrument cluster. It's configurable to all hell, but in its default state it's just plug and play.

I just received mine yesterday, and I'm still in the process of re-organizing and tagging a lot of the music I'll be putting on it, so I can't give a real review yet, but I can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pilsner posted:

http://www.maintronic.de/en/products/cp600bmw-mp3-player.html

It's €230 (on ebay.de), so pretty expensive, but from what I've read, it's also by far the best MP3 solution. It emulates the CD changer, and allows 6 main folders with endless subfolders. You can navigate the music as you please, play random, configure it to show track titles on the navi screen, your MID/radio, even in the instrument cluster. It's configurable to all hell, but in its default state it's just plug and play.

I just received mine yesterday, and I'm still in the process of re-organizing and tagging a lot of the music I'll be putting on it, so I can't give a real review yet, but I can't wait.

Very snazzy, but from looking at the list of supported vehicles, my OEM radio is way too old-school. Basically all of the logic is in the radio, it more or less only sends "change CD" or "change track" to the changer, no titles or anything in the display. I guess a dumb AUX port is the best it can do.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic

bisticles posted:

My 1988 Pontiac Grand Prix had the tape holders as well:

Everything on that car was a trip. Door handles built into the the window frame, a combination lock on the glove box, LCD readouts for everything, pushbuttons everywhere. Heavy as hell, though.

That was 1988??

e: Right, that was a long time ago now. It's just so...brown!

Is that felt?

ubergnu has a new favorite as of 22:17 on Oct 10, 2013

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

ubergnu posted:

Is that felt?
The floor's carpeted, but an '80s GM won't have anything on the dash but hard, hard plastic.

Vykuza
Jul 19, 2005

... like a lizard drinking.
I won one of these in a competition I didn't remember entering:

The Panasonic Q!

It was a Gamecube/DVD player combo, and annoying to use. You needed to use the horrible remote to change to the games function from the default DVD option (which is the only think I used it for, considering when it was released, nearly everyone already had a DVD player), it used to overheat, and had some lovely firmware installed to allow it to play non Japanese region games that would bug out regularly.

I sold it (for a lot of money!) and bought a regular Gamecube.

The coolest thing was it was mirror chromed! Sweet.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Vykuza posted:

The Panasonic Q!

It was a Gamecube/DVD player combo, and annoying to use. You needed to use the horrible remote to change to the games function from the default DVD option (which is the only think I used it for, considering when it was released, nearly everyone already had a DVD player), it used to overheat, and had some lovely firmware installed to allow it to play non Japanese region games that would bug out regularly.

I always wondered if this was as cool as it sounded. Guess not. :(

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Vykuza posted:

The Panasonic Q!

So did Nintendo just agree to do that as some sort of last-ditch middle finger to Sony after their planned "BFF" console from the mid 90's fell through?

"Oh, you didn't want to partner with us and made a kick-rear end console? Well, we found someone else who will partner with us to take our already mediocre console and turn it into a mediocre DVD player! Take THAT!"

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

DrBouvenstein posted:

So did Nintendo just agree to do that as some sort of last-ditch middle finger to Sony after their planned "BFF" console from the mid 90's fell through?

"Oh, you didn't want to partner with us and made a kick-rear end console? Well, we found someone else who will partner with us to take our already mediocre console and turn it into a mediocre DVD player! Take THAT!"

Panasonic made the disc drives in the gamecube. I believe the cross-licensing that produced the Q came out of that.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

DrBouvenstein posted:

No, that was the CD-i.

Vykuza
Jul 19, 2005

... like a lizard drinking.

Last Chance posted:

I always wondered if this was as cool as it sounded. Guess not. :(

I was pretty excited when I got it, but the shine wore off pretty quickly. I remember now I had to use a DVD to boot the Q, then I could swap the disk out for the Gamecube game - I guess that was the dodgy software aspect. Mostly I remember it just didn't work very well.

From what I know, Athenry is spot on. Panasonic made the whacky DVD guts for the Gamecube and got the rights to make a Gamecube compatible device.

I think I still have the grey controller somewhere.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

DrBouvenstein posted:

What?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DrBouvenstein posted:

The Gamecube wasn't mediocre, it was hella awesome. Xbox-beating graphics quality in a form factor 1/4th the size, arguably one of the best and most ergonomic controllers ever (the button layout alone is genius), and built from 100% pure super-durable Nintendium.

The hardware was awesome and brilliantly designed, but Nintendo hosed it up by not getting enough third-party developers on board. Despite that, the game library spans over 600 games, and Wind Waker and Super Mario Sunshine are still among the best games I've ever played.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

KozmoNaut posted:

arguably one of the best and most ergonomic controllers ever (the button layout alone is genius)

There are rules against drunkposting

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

KozmoNaut posted:

The Gamecube wasn't mediocre, it was hella awesome. Xbox-beating graphics quality in a form factor 1/4th the size, arguably one of the best and most ergonomic controllers ever (the button layout alone is genius), and built from 100% pure super-durable Nintendium.

The hardware was awesome and brilliantly designed, but Nintendo hosed it up by not getting enough third-party developers on board. Despite that, the game library spans over 600 games, and Wind Waker and Super Mario Sunshine are still among the best games I've ever played.

The Gamecube was obsolete out of the gate because of its minidisc format. It wasn't an issue of being short on third-party developers, it was the third-party developers not wanting to play ball with Nintendo's special discs when the Xbox and PS2 were identical.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

death .cab for qt posted:

The Gamecube was obsolete out of the gate because of its minidisc format. It wasn't an issue of being short on third-party developers, it was the third-party developers not wanting to play ball with Nintendo's special discs when the Xbox and PS2 were identical.

It also ensured that there was basically no piracy on the GC until some crazy-rear end scheme was developed, using a bug in Phantasy Star Online and the network adapter to stream games onto the GC. It never really worked though, as the game rips were incomplete and buggy, and the network link was 10mbit only, leading to severe lag and loading errors in the games. So effectively, piracy was way too impractical and involved on the GC.

Compare this to the PS2 or the Xbox where you could more or less force them into playing pirated games with nothing but a stern look.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

KozmoNaut posted:

It also ensured that there was basically no piracy on the GC until some crazy-rear end scheme was developed, using a bug in Phantasy Star Online and the network adapter to stream games onto the GC. It never really worked though, as the game rips were incomplete and buggy, and the network link was 10mbit only, leading to severe lag and loading errors in the games. So effectively, piracy was way too impractical and involved on the GC.

Compare this to the PS2 or the Xbox where you could more or less force them into playing pirated games with nothing but a stern look.

It goes to show how very little piracy can affect your product's lifespan. Isn't the PS2 still getting a FIFA release?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
The best thing about the Nintendo Gamecube was toilet bong sexhole. Then goatsplosions, making people poo poo on other consoles and fingat.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Crankit posted:

The best thing about the Nintendo Gamecube was toilet bong sexhole. Then goatsplosions, making people poo poo on other consoles and fingat.

I hate that I understood all of this but if I said those words to my friends they'd politely call the police

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

death .cab for qt posted:

I hate that I understood all of this but if I said those words to my friends they'd politely call the police

Explanation for those of us unenlightened?

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.

SaltyJesus posted:

Explanation for those of us unenlightened?

Attain enlightenment.

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

I can make beans into peas.

KozmoNaut posted:

I didn't personally get into the GameCube nor do I know all of the details of the piracy on it, but I know that everyone I ever knew who had a GC (maybe seven or eight different people) pirated the poo poo out of everything for it. They all had these special lids for them that allowed them to use full sized DVDs. I'll give you the Xbox thing, but from where I was standing GC piracy sure seemed a lot more popular and easy than PS2 piracy.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That is an amazing thread. :magical:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Kalos posted:

There are rules against drunkposting

The Gamecube controller is pretty good, though.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Farecoal posted:

The Gamecube controller is pretty good, though.

The only real problem I had with the controller was that the layout made playing games that weren't designed for it hard as hell. (Ever tried playing an SNES game that actually utilized the X/Y buttons on one?)

Otherwise it was comfortable as gently caress and worked a lot better than you'd think. The lack of a second shoulder button on the left side definitely hurt its ability to play PS2 ports, though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Zonekeeper posted:

The only real problem I had with the controller was that the layout made playing games that weren't designed for it hard as hell. (Ever tried playing an SNES game that actually utilized the X/Y buttons on one?)

Yeah, I remember when my roommates and I first got a Wii, we got several SNES games from the virtual console, and figured we'd be ok using one of the several GC controllers we had lying around...NOPE! You cannot play Super Mario World with a GC controller.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Just finished reading the thread from start to finish over the past ~6 months or so. I know they were already mentioned, but they're pretty much my favorite failed technology:

THE CYBIKO

These were insanely ahead of their time in some aspects. Basically, on the surface the Cybiko was a PDA with very limited wirless capabilities--it communicated via RF at a pretty pitiful range (500 Feet in north america, boostable via a software hack.) You could chat, send e-mail and even browse the web on WAP-enabled sites, although the process for getting online was really annoying--you either needed to have two cybikos (one to act as a base) or needed to buy a RF base station. It ran on two Lithium Ion batteries and you could get a few hours of use on the RF with them. It was also one of the first devices you could get an MP3 player addon for, although they were super expensive and only held 256mb of data.

Where the device really shined was the fact that it actually had a bunch of apps & games developed for it for the 2-3 years it was sold--I want to say there were about 150-200 official games created for it. Some of them were lovely but there were a few really good ones; I think one of the last ones released was a super advanced virtual pet app. It also had a really dedicated developer community and it was pretty easy to program for--you could program in C, or in their proprietary language CyBasic.

Alas the product failed for a few reasons: first, it was expensive for the market it was targeting; about $200 for the basic model iirc. Also, even though some of the stuff was ahead of it's time (wireless communication, the ability to surf the web) technology just hadn't evolved enough to really support it--the hardware was super underpowered and a lot of the more advanced features just were plain not convenient to use. The keyboard was also really terrible on it so it wasn't really great for taking notes or any actual PDA functions.

They did eventually release an upgraded model that was faster, had a better keyboard and an updated OS, but shortly after that the company stopped releasing new apps and stopped producing more devices. I actually happened across one of my old Cybikos a few months ago but the batteries had corroded badly and the charge outlet was broken so I couldn't boot it up :smith: I almost want to go on eBay and find one but it would be strictly for nostalgia purposes as the device is pretty much useless now.

\/\/ Yeah, although if you did find the data cables they're likely useless now because iirc the original model used a serial connection (do PCs still come with a serial port?) The "Extreme" model I think supported USB but good luck finding a working USB cord for it!

robodex has a new favorite as of 22:07 on Oct 16, 2013

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Hey, I have one of those. I tried to get it going for the games awhile back and didn't get very far and now I can't remember where I put it. :downs:

Probably didn't get far because I don't have the power or data cables.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

robodex posted:

\/\/ Yeah, although if you did find the data cables they're likely useless now because iirc the original model used a serial connection (do PCs still come with a serial port?) The "Extreme" model I think supported USB but good luck finding a working USB cord for it!

A lot of motherboards still come with the pins for a single serial port. You just need a cheap breakout cable and possibly to switch it on in the BIOS as well. It's how I connect my home-built IR receiver to use with a cheap universal remote to control my media players.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
You can get USB to Serial converters. Be careful, because the quality on some is really dodgy and can be a serious PITA to get working.

I've used them at work when you have an old protective relay (monitors really big pieces of electrical equipment like transformers and motors) that will only communicate over RS232 or RS485.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

You can get USB to Serial converters. Be careful, because the quality on some is really dodgy and can be a serious PITA to get working.

I've used them at work when you have an old protective relay (monitors really big pieces of electrical equipment like transformers and motors) that will only communicate over RS232 or RS485.

Anything that isn't bottom-of-the-barrel cheap will work fine. I have a half dozen on my desk at work for various bits of legacy bullshit.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Three-Phase posted:

Or even current devices from major manufacturers that refuse to let initial setup happen over anything BUT serial port DESPITE the device having multiple other ports. Or firmware updates.
Looking at you, SEL.

I keep a laptop with serial port around for just that purpose.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Three-Phase posted:

Also be careful that very few USB to serial converters will supply the full voltage specified in the RS232 spec. A valid signal must be between +3v and +15v or between -3v and -15v in relation to ground. Most USB to serial converters can't do that. Some equipment, especially older stuff, will not work properly at the voltage levels USB can supply.

Fancy USB to serial converters will deliver the correct voltage levels, but they're more expensive.

For instance, the DIY IR receiver I'm using will not work with any of the USB to serial converters I've tried.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Not failed, but definitely obsolete:

One of the greatest expressions of that optimistic '90s technophilia I can think of.

For anyone who doesn't recognize it, it's Deep Blue, the computer that beat Garry Kasparov.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Obsolete and failed (at least commercially):

The Connection Machines CM-2, anno 1987:

And its successor the CM-5, 1991:

Connection Machines were built around extreme multiprocessing. The CM-2 consisted of up to 65,000 single-bit processors, each with 4kbit of RAM. Additionally there was a floating point coprocessor per 32 processors. It had an external RAID enclosure storing a whopping 25 Gigabytes. :aaa:

The CM-5 was a RISC-based supercomputer which bore little functional similarity to the CM-2, and is probably most known for its appearance in Jurassic Park.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Collateral Damage posted:

Connection Machines were built around extreme multiprocessing. The CM-2 consisted of up to 65,000 single-bit processors, each with 4kbit of RAM. Additionally there was a floating point coprocessor per 32 processors. It had an external RAID enclosure storing a whopping 25 Gigabytes. :aaa:

The CM-5 was a RISC-based supercomputer which bore little functional similarity to the CM-2, and is probably most known for its appearance in Jurassic Park.

Society went a little backward the day we decided that Computers shouldn't look like that. Hack the Gibson!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Are the evil/cool red lights incidental to the design of the computer or did they want it to look like that?

Because it is awesome. It looks like a giant cheesy gamer rig or something.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Athenry posted:

Society went a little backward the day we decided that Computers shouldn't look like that. Hack the Gibson!

When the future went away from brushed steel and red lights, the world became more boring.

Now we just have lots of long flat things that slide in and out of enclosures that wouldn't look too out of place in a kitchen. :sigh:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

They're status lights for the processors inside. If a processor is working on something, its LED comes on -- so technically if the computer is running properly, executing a well-written highly parallel job, all the lights should be on and steady. People expect computers with lots of lights on them to be blinking like the bat-computer, though, so when Connection Machines were a thing, it was really common to add extra spurious instructions to make them blink in interesting patterns.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Sagebrush posted:

They're status lights for the processors inside. If a processor is working on something, its LED comes on -- so technically if the computer is running properly, executing a well-written highly parallel job, all the lights should be on and steady. People expect computers with lots of lights on them to be blinking like the bat-computer, though, so when Connection Machines were a thing, it was really common to add extra spurious instructions to make them blink in interesting patterns.

The BeBox had two rows of lights showing the CPU load (it had two processors - in 1996).

I sold mine :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Hot drat, I love old blocky computer design like this. Totally stealing these photos as future references for the Cyberpunk 2020 game I'm running :v: