Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Is the super fast series of punches still in this game?

You mean after the cape stun? Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Bit of a PC report: the game is really heavy on my rig for some reason. My i5 2500K with 6950 was giving me about 15 fps with all the stuff turned on. MSAA in particular is a performance killer, had to turn it off. Maybe its due to my card being ATI-made or maybe there will be dedicated drivers/patch. Then again, it was the same with City. I like the graphics, the shading on the characters looks a bit comic book-like, great effect. There's also lots of smoke and snow all around. The areas are not as masterfully designed as in previous games but the sheer size of the world makes up for that. Gliding is fun when you can't see the edge of the "world".

The game is really fun, but it's more of the same (esp. in case of City). If you're a fan like me - you'll be glad you got it. The area is really large, there's tons of stuff to do. The guy voicing Batman is doing a very good job imitating Conroy, there are lots of references to comics/movies/previous games. As I mentioned, fighting feels different due to the changed tempo.

One thing I don't like is the ability unlock system. You can't choose from any option now, you have to for example unlock two armor upgrades before you get the blade dodge takedown. It's frustrating because I'm just dodging the knife guys now, not able to smash their face in with proper timing.

You're graded after every fight and predator section now. It works well in the former but not that great in the latter. Getting shot at and being seen can still net you an A somehow.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terminally Bored posted:

You're graded after every fight and predator section now. It works well in the former but not that great in the latter. Getting shot at and being seen can still net you an A somehow.

Yesssss. I have an irrational love for seeing letter grades pop up after fights.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Terminally Bored posted:

The guy voicing Batman is doing a very good job imitating Conroy, there are lots of references to comics/movies/previous games. As I mentioned, fighting feels different due to the changed tempo.

This is not what I was hoping for. I was hoping for the new voice to be younger and lacking in the experience department. The fact that he's good at imitating Conroy's iconic voice is something that's going to bother me.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

He does sound younger and sometimes strays from Conroy's monotone. There's at least one scene when he goes rage a'la Bale when interrogating a guy.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Terminally Bored posted:

He does sound younger and sometimes strays from Conroy's monotone. There's at least one scene when he goes rage a'la Bale when interrogating a guy.

This both saddens and delights me.

Is it as corny as Bale's Batman when he's enraged or actually terrifying for a second?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

No. I hated Bale for that and like how this guy delivered it. It really was a balance between Conroy and Bale.

One more thing I love about this one is how most people in the game world don't really believe Batman exists. It reminds me of initial scenes of the 1989 movie. When you show up for a fight guys sometimes yell "He's real!". Lots of fun.

GuyCastle
Jun 24, 2000

I essentially agree with everything in Terminally Bored's post, I was going to write something similar until I refreshed and saw his post. I also had to drop down details and DX11 features to get the framerate above 25.

About the upgrades, it's indeed a bit of a step down as far as I'm concerned, but it's probably because in both AA and AC I tend to go for the critical strikes and special combo boost upgrades as soon as possible because they let you allow you to perform the specials (and enter focus freeflow in AC) faster. But now you have to purchase a whole bunch of upgrades I wouldn't have bothered with until I had unlocked everything else. The Dark Knight System challenges are also similarly frustrating because you can only unlock them sequentially.

And like you said the predator mode grading seems a little janky, because it gives me a grade for every armed thug I individually dispatch instead of saving the scoring until the last one's down. Or at least it does so in the predator areas in the city I've visited so far.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
^What kind of video card do you have? I have in i5-2400 and a Nvidia GTX760, and pretty much everything is smooth sailing. So based on that I would guess it's more GPU-intensive than CPU-intensive.^

Terminally Bored posted:

One thing I don't like is the ability unlock system. You can't choose from any option now, you have to for example unlock two armor upgrades before you get the blade dodge takedown. It's frustrating because I'm just dodging the knife guys now, not able to smash their face in with proper timing.

So far this is my only real complaint. I'm enjoying the story and gameplay much more than the first two games, and I like the aesthetics much better, beyond just the fact that it looks nicer. I like that you're in a real Gotham, even if there are no bystanders about. The glide grapple does seem a little janky, at least for grapple boosting, but otherwise it's been pretty perfect gameplay-wise.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 24, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Terminally Bored posted:

No. I hated Bale for that and like how this guy delivered it. It really was a balance between Conroy and Bale.

One more thing I love about this one is how most people in the game world don't really believe Batman exists. It reminds me of initial scenes of the 1989 movie. When you show up for a fight guys sometimes yell "He's real!". Lots of fun.

Haha, that just reminded me of a bit of thug banter (:allears:) in Arkham City.

Thug 1: I don't want to mess with Batman, he broke my arm and three of my ribs during that mess at the Asylum a few months ago
Thug 2: Pfft, Batman? He's probably just an urban myth!
Thug 1: :doh:

GuyCastle
Jun 24, 2000

DrNutt posted:

^What kind of video card do you have? I have in i5-2400 and a Nvidia GTX760, and pretty much everything is smooth sailing. So based on that I would guess it's more GPU-intensive than CPU-intensive.^

A Radeon 6970. I suspect it's probably the large environments dragging the framerate down. Then again, when Arkham City first came out I remember that the DX11 features slowed the game down immensely until it was fixed in a patch, so who knows? The game still looks great even if everything's not maxed out so I'm not all that worried about it.

Also, just finished the second boss fight against the Electrocutioner, and I must say I didn't expect that at all. Not gonna spoiler it for anyone, but I'll just say I had a good laugh.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, 100% agree with Terminally Bored. If you liked Asylum/City, this is a good game. So far judging from the early game, I'd actually put it above City, since it seems tighter in a few ways.

New Batman is aping Conroy, but not 100%. It works because he actually feels like a younger Conroy which is right for the setting. He's also hitting the emotional "I am young Batman and not quite good at this yet." chords right.

Agreeing on the lack of belief being fantastic. It's neat as someone who grew up with older Batman to see Gordon going on about how the Bat can't be real, and thugs/villans very confused as to why a man is running around in his skivvies fighting crime. It's especially neat as a huge Batman fan to see eventual allies be very curious as to what Bruce is doing, and his early responses to many iconic villians he's been used to for awhile in later works. ( "Alfred, I just fought a man sized crocodile." "A what sir?" )

Lot's of iconic Gotham locations, outside of the Asylum. Feels a little bit like you are actually exploring the city.

Combat feels off, just a little. He seems to move just a bit slower then I remember, which is leading to me getting hit a bunch in the early game. Starting to get used to it, and panning it off as just him being in a heavier suit he wasn't used to.

Plot is interesting. I actually want to learn more as to whats going on, which is better then City.

One thing I haven't seen people mention yet is it starts you right off with the gadgets you had to find in Asylum/City, yet still has a number of slots open for new stuff. Curious to see what that might be.

Of course this could all fall apart, and it may end 5 hours in with a really dumb ending, but so far, really happy with it.

willjbish
Nov 8, 2011
Enjoying the game so far. I really like what they did with the Arkham City map. Different enough to feel new but still familiar.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Also, comic book talk - there's lots of themes from Year One and The Man Who Laughs in this game.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/batman_arkham_origins_review.html

Apparently, this reviewer wasn't under embargo. The game is about 12 hours long (includes the side missions too).

They rated it an 8/10.

quote:

+Still has gaming's best combat system.
+Great Batman origin story.
+Numerous spine-tingling Bat moments.
-Does go over a lot of old ground.

Looks like this is a worthy prequel to the Arkham line of games.

Also, I wrote this post while playing City. Just overheard an inmate say that he's not surprised people are eating other people considering how bad the food is... :gonk:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I've spent today loving around in City, sharpening my bat-skills.

Using every gadget to sett up a fight with 4 or 5 gun-wielding thugs without taking a single point of damage still feels incredible.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Also, you need to use the vpnu trial account, the vpnc account doesn't have the Australia server.

Thank you, fellows. It's only appropriate that you use a couple of Batmanesque tactics to get to play your Batman game.
Do I have to stay VPN'd in after everything is unlocked?

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 24, 2013

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Found a show stopping bug in one of the side quests. When you're sorting out the radio tower in the same part of the city that contains the GCPD building, you enter a small room, the only exit from which is a small vent high up in the ceiling. After bat-clawing the vent cover off, you grapple up into the vent only to find that you can't actually make Batman climb up and into the vent, instead he just clings uselessly to the outside of the vent like he's hanging from a ledge. Tried reloading the game several times, same result every time. Luckily, it doesn't checkpoint you as soon as you enter that room, other wise i'd be stuck in that little room until they patch the game. As it stands I was able to reload the last checkpoint and just continue on with the main story line.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
12 hours is pretty short for including all the sidequests...I wonder if the reviewer played on Normal or Hard. Regardless though, happy about the mostly positive review. I wasn't expecting a perfect game.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Glad impressions are good, I was getting a little worried with embargos being this late for the game.

Also are there still collectibles in the game?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Gunder posted:

Found a show stopping bug in one of the side quests. When you're sorting out the radio tower in the same part of the city that contains the GCPD building, you enter a small room, the only exit from which is a small vent high up in the ceiling. After bat-clawing the vent cover off, you grapple up into the vent only to find that you can't actually make Batman climb up and into the vent, instead he just clings uselessly to the outside of the vent like he's hanging from a ledge. Tried reloading the game several times, same result every time. Luckily, it doesn't checkpoint you as soon as you enter that room, other wise i'd be stuck in that little room until they patch the game. As it stands I was able to reload the last checkpoint and just continue on with the main story line.

Yeah, the patch will have to happen soon. Apart from the stuff you mentioned some guys glitch through walls after beaten up and there are (seldom) cases of disappearing textures.

Pixeltendo posted:

Also are there still collectibles in the game?

Yeah, there are Riddler 'data packs' now. You can interrogate guys to get locations on these, like in City.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NattyBo posted:

12 hours is pretty short for including all the sidequests...I wonder if the reviewer played on Normal or Hard. Regardless though, happy about the mostly positive review. I wasn't expecting a perfect game.

Both of the previous Arkham games were significantly shorter than 12 hours so I'm not really sure why that is being labeled short.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So am i right in thinking this is unlocking at midnight in all respective regions?

It's 11:25pm just now in the UK and I'm debating whether or not to stay up for another half hour.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

Both of the previous Arkham games were significantly shorter than 12 hours so I'm not really sure why that is being labeled short.

You have to substract 4 hours or so for Games Journalist Incompetence.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
Is there a reason why I can't install disc 2 on to my xbox's hard drive?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Anyone figure out how to get into the Bowery Tower? Trying to search the nearby area for openable doors, haven't found anything. Only door in seems locked.

Also beat up a few of the Enigma Blackmailers, and now have dozens of backpack locations on my map, but there doesn't seem to be anything at those spots. What am I missing with that?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I figured I would be fine playing this on Hard since I batmanned the poo poo out of the previous games on the hardest level, but is it just me or are the spidey sense indicators very misleading? If I'm in the middle of beatdowning a dude and another guy comes at me, most of the time I'm still getting hit even if I mashed Y way ahead of time.

GuyCastle
Jun 24, 2000

raditts posted:

I figured I would be fine playing this on Hard since I batmanned the poo poo out of the previous games on the hardest level, but is it just me or are the spidey sense indicators very misleading? If I'm in the middle of beatdowning a dude and another guy comes at me, most of the time I'm still getting hit even if I mashed Y way ahead of time.

It's definitely not you, the timings on most moves are slightly different. In AC, you had a lot more leeway when it came to timing your counters, but now you have to almost presciently press the counter button.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

GuyCastle posted:

It's definitely not you, the timings on most moves are slightly different. In AC, you had a lot more leeway when it came to timing your counters, but now you have to almost presciently press the counter button.

Is the window for countering just smaller or do you really have to predict who's going to strike first before the alert even pops up?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

GuyCastle posted:

I actually figured it out, I forgot I had my PC passing through my Revue, which causes a massive video delay. I plugged it in direct and now it's time to teach these lowlifes some god damned bat-respect.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011
I'm beginning to like the tweaked combat system, it's more unforgiving of pure button mashing and seems to demand a much more precise sense of timing than the previous games. Bats seems more vulnerable and has more inertia than he did when he could magically teleport between enemies in the previous two games.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

PC version super buggy for anyone else? It seems to run fine in terms of performance, but the audio drops completely without reason and I've already gotten like 3 fatal errors.

Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to sit through that loving logo crawl every time it starts up.

Edit: And now I can't get past the part where you pick your save data. This is awesome.

Edit 2: Fixed it by installing the newest Nvidia driver, but now the sound isn't working at all. This rules.

Edit 3: Fixed it, I think. Apparently the game automatically turned down all the volume sliders :psyduck:

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 25, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Why is this not unlocked on Steam yet for me.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Fuzz posted:

Why is this not unlocked on Steam yet for me.

Have you restarted Steam?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
"Everyone deserves the chance to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps" - Bruce Wayne after donating ten thousand pairs of shoes, and only shoes, to a homeless shelter that burned down while he was fighting in it.

Well, they got Batman right. :allears:

e: It's a radio ad, not an ingame spoiler.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
So this is out on Steam in North America now? I'm thinking about picking this up once I get home now that some positive reviews are in.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Hey, the Flyvpn thing listed earlier didn't work for me; does anyone know of a VPN in a country where this is unlocked?

ed: Nevermind, I'm stupid, I got that one to work

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 25, 2013

GuyCastle
Jun 24, 2000

Action Tortoise posted:

Is the window for countering just smaller or do you really have to predict who's going to strike first before the alert even pops up?

No predicting necessary, but whereas in AC you had a second or so to press counter when the alert pops up, you now should/need to press it as soon as it shows up because the timing is very unforgiving (relatively speaking, I'm probably only noticing because I spent the last few days doing all the challenges in AC).

Axialbloom
Jul 7, 2011

My life is a series of
lapses in judgement.
It just wouldn't be a Batman game without the Nvidia splash intro stuttering like crazy.

Enjoying the game so far. Batman's voice is slowly growing on me. The only (minor) complaint I have so far is that, as a person who played the last two Batman games with KB/M, the grapnel no longer uses the side mouse button by default and the keybind screen doesn't let me bind side mouse buttons. A bit of external software fixed that, but strange that it wasn't default like its predecessors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
Wow. Playing it maxed out on PC, it looks absolutely stunning and runs smoothly for the most part too.

• Locked thread