Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Is it morally wrong of me to still be excited about this EP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

crankdatbatman posted:

I stand for morals against music in general so yeah, pretty amoral.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

crankdatbatman posted:

Yes. I'm telling everyone you're a horrible bigot!

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
Well, here's the deadwax etchings for the EP:

That makes me a feel a little better about this.

Looks like they're also going to be releasing a split covers 12" with Tame Impala at the shows they're doing together next month.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Surfingelectrode posted:

Looks like they're also going to be releasing a split covers 12" with Tame Impala at the shows they're doing together next month.

It's so frustrating when bands do really cool things that I have no chance of ever owning or even hearing. gently caress tour releases forever.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Surfingelectrode posted:

Well, here's the deadwax etchings for the EP:

That makes me a feel a little better about this.

I disagree with this. I'm gay and I'm not cool at all.

Also, I'm going to one of those shows on Monday.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

CPL593H posted:

I disagree with this. I'm gay and I'm not cool at all.

Also, I'm going to one of those shows on Monday.

Boston goon?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Kinda. I live about an hour's drive from Boston.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm going to the one next Friday in Maryland. I'm excited, even if the set is stale, I've never seen the Lips live so I'm sure it will be a treat.

Tame Impala's just an added bonus.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

crankdatbatman posted:

The movie apparently tries to have a more gay-friendly message, although I haven't read Ender's Game and I don't even know if the source material itself is homophobic or if OSC's batshit insanity just rubbed off on his work

In any case if you stuck with the Lips through the Erykah Badu fiasco this should be water under the bridge, really.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Anyone go to show on their new tour yet? I just got out of the Philly one, and honestly it was pretty bad. New music just doesn't mesh with their old style, it was pretty dark and ambient music wise (opposite of older lips) and while they had great lighting, there was very sparse confetti and not really any of the live show performances you expect from the Lips. And Wayne kept swaddling a baby in his arms while singing.

It was really weird, but def disappointing. Even with the whole argument of bands playing new stuff and not staying in their old style, the new stuff just isn't as good. The crowd noticeably trickled out throughout the show.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
CT show was amazing. Boston show sucked and people left throughout.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

Anyone go to show on their new tour yet? I just got out of the Philly one, and honestly it was pretty bad. New music just doesn't mesh with their old style, it was pretty dark and ambient music wise (opposite of older lips) and while they had great lighting, there was very sparse confetti and not really any of the live show performances you expect from the Lips. And Wayne kept swaddling a baby in his arms while singing.

It was really weird, but def disappointing. Even with the whole argument of bands playing new stuff and not staying in their old style, the new stuff just isn't as good. The crowd noticeably trickled out throughout the show.

The Terror is really not that shocking if you've been following them since after Yoshimi...

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Tuesdays NYC show was awesome and restored my faith in their live show after a poor outdoor show I went to in May and the split show with Weezer that I went to before that.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

rear end Catchcum posted:

CT show was amazing. Boston show sucked and people left throughout.

You must have been at a different Boston show, because I thought it was awesome.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
To anyone planning on seeing them anytime soon, seriously do not bother with any outdoor shows. I don't know if they have any planned, but this stage show just does not work outside of an indoor venue where they can go crazy with the lights and lasers. And they do.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Epi Lepi posted:

To anyone planning on seeing them anytime soon, seriously do not bother with any outdoor shows. I don't know if they have any planned, but this stage show just does not work outside of an indoor venue where they can go crazy with the lights and lasers. And they do.

I could see that. And even the confetti they shot off went away from the crowd likely due to wind.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Epi Lepi posted:

Oh god, the loving lights they have are enough to power a illuminate a small country for a week. It's awesome. I was right in front of the stage, too.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Epi Lepi posted:

Well, the show I'm going to tonight is an outdoor show. I guess I can put this theory to the test.

I'm hoping even if it sucks it's my first Lips show so I won't have anything to compare it to and will still think it's awesome.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

CPL593H posted:

You must have been at a different Boston show, because I thought it was awesome.

I mean, everyone has their own individual experience but:

1) the sound for the Lips vocals was not great.
2) The arena was divided in half and neither section was full, which I felt made it had to get energy levels up. I think the band felt this too because I've never seen Wayne have to beg the crowd, in literally every other song, to "Come on you mother fuckers lets get some energy in here."
3) When the Lips were setting up, they got all the lights set up but one single strand was not working, and so they took 30 minutes to set up, the band came out, Wayne said "gently caress, gently caress, come on, gently caress." a couple times, the band left, and then 45 minutes of trying to fix that strand they came back out to play. It was basically a solid hour after Tame Impala finished and the Lips started playing, and I felt that REALLY killed the momentum of the night.
4) I saw them in CT and they felt awesome. This time around, it was like watching a play of a band, like, they just didn't feel like they were in the moment but just going through their show.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

rear end Catchcum posted:

I mean, everyone has their own individual experience but:

1) the sound for the Lips vocals was not great.
2) The arena was divided in half and neither section was full, which I felt made it had to get energy levels up. I think the band felt this too because I've never seen Wayne have to beg the crowd, in literally every other song, to "Come on you mother fuckers lets get some energy in here."
3) When the Lips were setting up, they got all the lights set up but one single strand was not working, and so they took 30 minutes to set up, the band came out, Wayne said "gently caress, gently caress, come on, gently caress." a couple times, the band left, and then 45 minutes of trying to fix that strand they came back out to play. It was basically a solid hour after Tame Impala finished and the Lips started playing, and I felt that REALLY killed the momentum of the night.
4) I saw them in CT and they felt awesome. This time around, it was like watching a play of a band, like, they just didn't feel like they were in the moment but just going through their show.

Yeah, I did think the set up time was too long, but honestly I was already bored because I think Tame Impala went on too long. I think my perception of the show was quite different than yours because I was directly in front of the stage and everyone up there was having a ball. I didn't pay much attention to what was going on behind me and I had no trouble hearing the vocals because I was right in front of one of the speakers. I had on ear plugs of course, because I value my hearing.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CPL593H posted:

Yeah, I did think the set up time was too long, but honestly I was already bored because I think Tame Impala went on too long. I think my perception of the show was quite different than yours because I was directly in front of the stage and everyone up there was having a ball. I didn't pay much attention to what was going on behind me and I had no trouble hearing the vocals because I was right in front of one of the speakers. I had on ear plugs of course, because I value my hearing.

Just got home from the show in Maryland, and my experience was closer to yours. I was close up in the pavilion section, so it was pretty much like an indoor show and it was awesome. Lasers were great, confetti worked fine, though I could see it lose a lot of effect if I were further back. Set up didn't take too horribly long (though I spent a good chunk of it in the line for the bathroom). Overall a great show and it seemed like everyone had a good time, even though the people around me complained about Wayne's baby.

It was a total blast, but I could see how the setlist could get dull. The set was the one posted here a few pages back with no exceptions, and I could see that getting old fast. I suppose the light show program is synchronized with the setlist and it could take a lot of effort to change that, but I wouldn't go see them again until a new album/tour/setlist debuts.

Further notes, Tame Impala was amazing as well, and I was concerned at first they'd steal the show (they didn't, but they were awesome). Lead singer screwed up the peak of the guitar solo in Elephant, but it was ok. Sean Lennon's band sucked. I tried to enjoy it, but it was kind of crap.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The only thing that actually disappointed me is that they didn't do Moth in the Incubator like they've done on several shows during this tour.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

CPL593H posted:

The only thing that actually disappointed me is that they didn't do Moth in the Incubator like they've done on several shows during this tour.

They only played that and Unconsciously Screamin' at like three shows before going back to playing the same generic setlists. Kind of a bummer.

The Ender's Game EP is coming out digitally in two weeks and will be out on CD and vinyl on Black Friday. Here's the tracklist:

1. Peace Sword ("Open Your Heart")
2. If They Move, Shoot 'Em
3. Is The Black At The End Good
4. Think Like A Machine, Not A Boy
5. Wolf Children
6. Assassin Beetle - The Dream Is Ending

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

OSC is a fuckhead for sure, but as a kid I really dug Ender's Game. As a grown up I have a lot mroe reservations with it, but the themes and ideas are pretty cool and just the title Peace Sword makes me curious to see where they go with it. Not to mention, that's a whole surprise EP coming straight out of nowhere, in the same year we got The Terror. A good year for Lipz.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I'm curious about that, but I'm more excited about the Flaming Lips/Tame Impala crossover record (each doing three of the other band's songs, if I recall details correctly). I was a little bummed they didn't have them for sale at the Boston show. Apparently they'll be for-sale through the website too? Here's a Waynestagram.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

iluvpr0n posted:

I'm curious about that, but I'm more excited about the Flaming Lips/Tame Impala crossover record (each doing three of the other band's songs, if I recall details correctly). I was a little bummed they didn't have them for sale at the Boston show. Apparently they'll be for-sale through the website too? Here's a Waynestagram.

I'm sure people will be price gouging it soon enough.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

It's an entirely different type of show and you just gotta go in accepting that. And if it's not your thing, then so be it. The Terror isn't for everyone, I suppose.

I love the new show and think it's a drastic improvement over the celebratory lights and confetti shows that were run into the ground. I really like dark, gritty Lips.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

The first song from the new Peace Sword EP is streaming. Sounds very encouraging to me. The list price for the record is apparently $18.98.

And the cover/tracklist for the Flaming Lips/Tame Impala record are up:
http://instagram.com/p/fyoLt8CFRV/
http://instagram.com/p/fymhFqyuOE/

edit:
I guess more tracks from the Peace Sword EP are streaming:
https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F116004134&secret_token=s-Xil3l
https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F116004574&secret_token=s-hnlAJ
https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F116004679&secret_token=s-4uo99

iluvpr0n fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 23, 2013

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
Guys, guys, here's the whole Peace Sword EP. The second track is on NPR and not directly embedded on the page.

This EP rules. Goddamn this band is on a roll!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MajorB posted:

Guys, guys, here's the whole Peace Sword EP. The second track is on NPR and not directly embedded on the page.

This EP rules. Goddamn this band is on a roll!

It is really good. I actually like a couple of the songs more than The Terror, and Terror is my favorite thing they've done since Clouds/Zaireeka (Embryonic comes close, though).

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'm going to wait for it to not be on NPR and then I'll give it a listen, but the reaction to it has me excited.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Peace Sword is the one that absolutely loving floored me from the get go. That one is amazing. Felt like classic Lips for sure. The rest are good, but I wouldn't say they're better than the stuff from The Terror. Though Assassin Beetle is definitely the runner up after Peace Sword. That one's pretty terrifying and I like it a lot. That one actually might be better than some of the stuff from The Terror.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'll save the rest of the EP for when I buy it, but Peace Sword is goddam amazing.

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
I logged in just to come in this thread and agree. Peace Sword is loving incredible.

Also, I don't believe it's tied to the movie, rather inspired by Enders Game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TheKingPuuChuu posted:

Also, I don't believe it's tied to the movie, rather inspired by Enders Game.

What I think needs to happen is the movie needs to be scrapped and they need to let Wayne direct it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

What I think needs to happen is the movie needs to be scrapped and they need to let Wayne direct it.
:stare:

I would buy all of the tickets to this.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Wayne's next film project?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/theflaminglips/status/393495211764350977

This is bad news :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic