Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/theflaminglips/status/393499795245252608

uhhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Someone needs to attach some kind of device to Wayne's phone and computers that makes them stop working when he's tripping his nuts off.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh Wayne, you troll you :shobon:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Summary for those of us who got here after the tweets got taken down?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Summary for those of us who got here after the tweets got taken down?

"The Flaming Lips are breaking up!"

"lol just kidding"

That's it.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Then some marketing for some lovely tween band trio. Then Wayne saying "The flaming lips twitter has been hacked!!"

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
What was it? It's saying it's deleted.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Consummate Professional posted:

What was it? It's saying it's deleted.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-flaming-lips-did-not-breakup-20131024

This explains it pretty well.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Turns out Wayne's password was spacevagina420

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I love how meaningless the term "indie rock" has become. This neo-psych band with an international fanbase signed to Warner Bros is so loving indie!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The new EP reminds me of Zaireeka, good poo poo.

So are any of those songs going to actually be in the movie, or just on the soundtrack?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

leica posted:

The new EP reminds me of Zaireeka, good poo poo.

So are any of those songs going to actually be in the movie, or just on the soundtrack?

Just the title track, I think.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Wolf Children, Peace Sword, and Beetle Assassin are as good as anything on the Terror. The rest are better than most of At War With the Msytics.

it's got about a 35 minute runtime.

We basically got a surprise Lips concept album in the same year we got the gem that is The Terror.

Hella pleasant.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Wolf Children, Peace Sword, and Beetle Assassin are as good as anything on the Terror. The rest are better than most of At War With the Msytics.

it's got about a 35 minute runtime.

We basically got a surprise Lips concept album in the same year we got the gem that is The Terror.

Hella pleasant.

Also their current live show is amazing (at least if you've never seen them before). It's been a very good year for the Lips.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

MajorB posted:

So the EP is called Peace Sword, is six tracks long and will be coming out on Black Friday.

Three tracks titles are "Think Like A Machine, Not A Boy," "Wolf Children" and "Assassin Beetle/The Dream is Ending."

:420:ENDER'S GAY:420:

I thought this was going to be the cover, but https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/peace-sword-ep/id731741855?ign-mpt=uo%3D4 shows it having the crap movie poster. I'm kinda bummed. You think this will be on the physical format?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I thought this was going to be the cover, but https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/peace-sword-ep/id731741855?ign-mpt=uo%3D4 shows it having the crap movie poster. I'm kinda bummed. You think this will be on the physical format?
Apparently, the good cover is only on the physical version, along with the last track.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

HorseRenoir posted:

Apparently, the good cover is only on the physical version, along with the last track.

Well that's some loving bullshit. Especially considering everything I've read about it indicates the Lips EP is only loosely associated with the movie.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

If you're talking about an iTunes download, then what difference does it make?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

crankdatbatman posted:

Well that's some loving bullshit. Especially considering everything I've read about it indicates the Lips EP is only loosely associated with the movie.

"Is the Black at the End Good?" is in the film (I think), everything else is just "inspired by", so... bit of both?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Sure glad I don't spend money on iTunes.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CPL593H posted:

If you're talking about an iTunes download, then what difference does it make?

Well considering I'll have to look at my phone and see the cover every time I play it, a lot actually.

I'm joking, though it sucks one of the songs won't be on it.

And all I've read has said that the songs were just inspired by the movie, where I've read noting about the movie saying anything regarding the Lips songs or them being on the official soundtrack. I figured it was just some weird quasi-official affiliation, or none at all.

facebook jihad fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 29, 2013

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

crankdatbatman posted:

Well considering I'll have to look at my phone and see the cover every time I play it, a lot actually.

I'm joking, though it sucks one of the songs won't be on it.

And all I've read has said that the songs were just inspired by the movie, where I've read noting about the movie saying anything regarding the Lips songs or them being on the official soundtrack. I figured it was just some weird quasi-official affiliation, or none at all.

You could very easily replace the iTunes album art with a picture of Wayne doing yoga in red underwear just as easily as you could with the cool artwork.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

A year later I still find Biz Markie's contribution to 2012 (You Must Be Upgraded) hilariously insignificant.

Oh, and I'm still unsure what to think of Heady Fwends in general. I may think the 2011 EP stuff was better than all of that album. That Yoko Ono Plastic Ono band EP has some pretty good songs on it.

WASDF fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 30, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wouldn't quite say Heady Fwiends was bad, but I flat out never listen to it, that's for sure. Same with Dark Side of the Moon.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

WASDF posted:

A year later I still find Biz Markie's contribution to 2012 (You Must Be Upgraded) hilariously insignificant.

Oh, and I'm still unsure what to think of Heady Fwends in general. I may think the 2011 EP stuff was better than all of that album. That Yoko Ono Plastic Ono band EP has some pretty good songs on it.

I still love Heady Fwends. It's just a fun album with a lot of different elements rolled into one. I've noticed that nearly every Lips LP I've listened to (pretty much Priest Driven Ambulance onward, I've given Oh My Gawd a try but...the band just seemed to be in a different stage at that point) has had a general theme to it, whereas Heady Fwends is just a collage of crazy songs.

In a similar vein my feelings for Yoshimi and Soft Bulletin have completely reversed. This time last I didn't "get" Soft Bulletin while I thought Yoshimi was the poo poo. Now I think Yoshimi is over all a very boring album where every song sounds about the same, while Soft Bulletin is an extremely beautiful and sonically dense album. Soft Bulletin is about the only album I listen to regularly currently.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Apology for the double post...but this showed up on my Facebook and I figured it deserved it's own post.

http://www.stereogum.com/1544491/the-flaming-lips-elephant-tame-impala-cover-video/video/

Sounds pretty good in my opinion.

e: Guitar solo is kind of crap though.

facebook jihad fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 31, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

crankdatbatman posted:

I still love Heady Fwends. It's just a fun album with a lot of different elements rolled into one. I've noticed that nearly every Lips LP I've listened to (pretty much Priest Driven Ambulance onward, I've given Oh My Gawd a try but...the band just seemed to be in a different stage at that point)

Oh My Gawd is all over the place, but Hear It Is is actually a really sonically competent debut and has several of their best songs on it ("Godzilla Flick", "Jesus Shootin' Heroin", at least).

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
"Everything's Explodin'" is one of the most kickass songs of all time, so Oh My Gawd!!! totally earns its spot in the Flaming Lips canon.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

crankdatbatman posted:

Apology for the double post...but this showed up on my Facebook and I figured it deserved it's own post.

http://www.stereogum.com/1544491/the-flaming-lips-elephant-tame-impala-cover-video/video/

Sounds pretty good in my opinion.

e: Guitar solo is kind of crap though.

I'm a huge fan of both bands, but I really couldn't care less about the Lips covering Tame Impala's songs. What I REALLY want to hear off that EP are the songs Tame Impala did. They're fantastic, both as musicians and people. Really nice guys.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Blast Fantasto posted:

"Everything's Explodin'" is one of the most kickass songs of all time, so Oh My Gawd!!! totally earns its spot in the Flaming Lips canon.

I'd say that "One Millionth Billionth of a Millisecond..." justifies the existence of the whole album, personally, but yeah that's a good tune.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm a huge fan of both bands, but I really couldn't care less about the Lips covering Tame Impala's songs. What I REALLY want to hear off that EP are the songs Tame Impala did. They're fantastic, both as musicians and people. Really nice guys.

http://www.stereogum.com/1454751/watch-tame-impala-cover-the-flaming-lips/video/

It sounds pretty underwhelming to me. They just play the songs exactly like they originally sounded.

edit: That links to a two clips of Tame Impala covering the Lips.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CPL593H posted:

http://www.stereogum.com/1454751/watch-tame-impala-cover-the-flaming-lips/video/

It sounds pretty underwhelming to me. They just play the songs exactly like they originally sounded.

edit: That links to a two clips of Tame Impala covering the Lips.

Only listened to Hypnotist, but...yeah it sounded like the same song only with that standard beach guitar/synth sound that Tame Impala is known for (not a dig on them, just what someone who is not qualified to comment on music calls it). At least the Lips covers changes the song up a bit.

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007
If any goon is planning on going to a show in the future, I am more than willing to pay them for the current Lips/Impala EP.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Pookdaddy G posted:

If any goon is planning on going to a show in the future, I am more than willing to pay them for the current Lips/Impala EP.

They should be on sale online next week.

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007

Surfingelectrode posted:

They should be on sale online next week.

I read on Discog that there are only 2,000. Is this a repress/non-color vinyl?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The EP is up on Spotify now, by the way.

You have to scroll all the way down to Singles, but it's all there.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I saw Ender's Game this morning (it actually wasn't bad!), and Peace Sword plays during the end credits, if any of you were interested in whether or not these songs appear in the movie.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

How about that Stone Roses cover album. When's that gonna be finished?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wayne needs to stop thinking he's in a cover band. Peace Sword is magnificent and it'd be kind of cool if the Lips just put out a ton of actual Flaming Lips poo poo instead of half a dozen "projects".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

precision posted:

Wayne needs to stop thinking he's in a cover band. Peace Sword is magnificent and it'd be kind of cool if the Lips just put out a ton of actual Flaming Lips poo poo instead of half a dozen "projects".

The Terror came out less than a year ago and Peace Sword is a full-fledged EP. I think they're doing fine as far as major releases go.

• Locked thread