Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

It's just a random thing, just like sometimes people get the "You are carrying too much weight to run" message as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah, I've gotten that message as well but it's had zero impact on anything.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
If you're up for being a guinea pig Flora Respawn Fix 2.0 is up. Brings back the animations on TREE objects that previous versions removed, and doesn't need world or cell edits to do its work - which means it has a much smaller footprint and is compatible with most new lands mods. Just be aware it was created using a hacked version of TES5Edit, and we're not sure how Skyrim.exe is going to like having VMAD fields in TREE objects. Preliminary testing looks good though.

Nothing special is required to upgrade existing saves, although already-harvested stuff needs to be re-harvested before the animations come back. Just don't plan on reverting from 2.0 back to 1.x.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I've eliminated some suspects from my mods, but checking Papyrus logs is frightening. Just booting up the game and loading a save file generated 105 pages worth of text. That's...not normal, is it. :stare:

A lot of the scripts mention followers and mining. I use Stupidly Simple Mining, which never gave me problems in the past, and I have recently replaced UFO with EFF. I attempted to find Stupidly Simple Mining again, but I can't seem to find it any more. Is that one causing problems now?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

You got a load order we can look at?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I make sure to use BOSS and Wrye Bash to minimize incompatibilities. Do you still need to analyze the load order with those in place? I haven't tried playing in earnest since February, so it's been strange coming back, updating and adding a few mods, and suddenly having the game lurch into being near-unplayable. I remember reading something about how the latest patch broke a lot of mods' scripting, but I don't remember remember where.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Mizuti posted:

I make sure to use BOSS and Wrye Bash to minimize incompatibilities. Do you still need to analyze the load order with those in place? I haven't tried playing in earnest since February, so it's been strange coming back, updating and adding a few mods, and suddenly having the game lurch into being near-unplayable. I remember reading something about how the latest patch broke a lot of mods' scripting, but I don't remember remember where.

That really depends on whether you updated your script-heavy mods properly or not, and if you're doing it on an old save file. For instance, what big mods did you update/install/uninstall?

But yeah, a load order/mod list would really help us narrow down exactly where the game is going to hell and a half.

Worst case scenario you'll have to start a new game, so it's not so bad, unless you accidentally put stuff in your Skyrim folder, in which case you'd be better off reinstalling completely.

futile
May 18, 2009
Toss a portion of the Papyrus log and your load order here and someone can probably help you. Major skyrim patches can and do cause a lot of issues and there was one in... March? Your best bet is to update your mods, toss old stuff out, and make a new game. I've lost characters to instability and mistakes I made with my mods in the past and it feels awful thinking you lost so much time and something you're attached to. Once you start a new character, fiddle with a different skill build, armors, story, path through the game, etc. it's amazing how fast you forget about your lost character.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

papyrus logs are just ridiculous. I'm stability testing my new setup/game (mod list and load order on previous page of thread), so I let skyrim run all day while I was at work. Then I ran around checking bandits and whacking on things in god mode. I ended up with a 300k papyrus log: http://pastebin.com/KLGyedM3

I think most of it is from a mod trying to kill me due to starvation/exposure or damage from direct hits (thanks god mode). But there are a ton of other errors and warnings which I'll never know if they matter or not.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Dang my skyrim is hanging in a reproducible way on entering grey-mane house. Might be a corrupted file or bum SSD, might be a mod. No log notes of interest, this may be hard to debug.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Did you try a new game?

Anyway, in mod news, there's this: Inferno - Envoys of End

Here's a Brodual video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOMMhxNul68

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

pmchem posted:

Then I ran around checking bandits and whacking on things in god mode. I ended up with a 300k papyrus log: http://pastebin.com/KLGyedM3
I think most of it is from a mod trying to kill me due to starvation/exposure or damage from direct hits (thanks god mode). But there are a ton of other errors and warnings which I'll never know if they matter or not.
I'm seeing a lot of missing file and property errors. Did you uninstal script-heavy mods from your game and then continue playing with the same save?
If so, in Skyrim's Creation Engine you cannot freely remove script-heavy mods from a save like you could in the previous Gamebryo Engine. If you do this, you will damage your savefile and end up with issues such as savegame bloat.
A mod creator can setup an uninstal procedure to remove their scripts as much as possible from your save. But if there's no such uninstal procedure and you want to remove a mod that uses scripts, either start a new game or revert back to an old save from before you installed the mod.

There are also errors indication a stack buffer overflow (Dumping stack).
If you have messed with the papyrus settings in your ini file, restore those values to their defaults. You can find the correct values here.
There's a lot of flatout wrong information floating around about the various ini settins. Most importantly in this case is iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes. Some idiot thought that setting controlled how much RAM Skyrim utilized. If you push that setting to high though, it will cause this sort of error.

If you haven't messed with your ini settings before, then stack buffer overflow can also be caused by there simply being too many scripts running (or just a few poorly optimized ones).
Getting rid of the above missing file & property errors can help with this. If they persist you can fiddle a bit with some papyrus ini settings and increase the time allotted to script loops and the memory available. Here is some documentation. Don't go overboard and immediatly increase all settings to their max. Use very small increases.

Lastly I'm seeing a whole bunch of errors which originate from whatever mod has position 14 in your loadorder. I'm guessing it's frostfall? If those errors persist on a new game, go contact Frostfall's creator for advice on those.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 24, 2013

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

futile posted:

Here's an incredible new mod: Audio Overhaul for Skyrim. I wish I knew enough about audio to give a more detailed explanation, but that's what the mod page is for. Only played with this for one night now. The difference is astounding. Everything sounds so much better, and it fixes some of the horrible vanilla stuff like footsteps too.
I just want to give a thumbs up for this mod. Thanks for the tip futile.

I think the additional/re-done reverbs alone give the feeling that you're in the space that you're in (eg. a mead hall, temple, etc.) but then the new sounds - especially fire ball explosions - are absolutely awesome. The only thing I have against it is that NPC footsteps are a little bit too loud.

Not sure if this is possible, but I would love to see the addition of echoes when you're out around mountains. Imagine you're around the gorges in The Reach, do a shout, and for the next few seconds hear an echo of it bounce through the mountains.

futile
May 18, 2009
Keep in mind that AOS added an NPC footsteps slider to the sound options so you can tweak that to your liking. I love AOS so very very much, I think it is one of the best mods ever released for Skyrim.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Okay, I think I got all the mods I want to get set up.

Any advice on load order before I go? Should I be disabling the HD texture mods from Bethesda before adding in the other ones? Does disabling them in MO disable them from the launcher as well?

Edit: Isn't the right side the mods that are active and you add to that list by check boxing the left list? Or do I right click and install mod again? Seems to be Realistic Landscapes 2k and a few others that aren't adding over.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 24, 2013

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

Ularg posted:

Any advice on load order before I go? Should I be disabling the HD texture mods from Bethesda before adding in the other ones? Does disabling them in MO disable them from the launcher as well?

Edit: Isn't the right side the mods that are active and you add to that list by check boxing the left list? Or do I right click and install mod again? Seems to be Realistic Landscapes 2k and a few others that aren't adding over.

You have to check any mods on the left side to put their .esp's into the right side, which you then have to click again on the right side to enable in-game (except for texture packs/mods without .esps, which will be enabled solely by clicking the left side).

On load order, I'd get BOSS and run that via MO every time you add new mod(s), because I'll bet good money against

Ularg posted:

:)

futile
May 18, 2009
Checking the mods on the left enables the files and assets, as if you've now installed the mod into your data folder. The right side then lists the plugins that are in your real and virtual data folder so you can enable and disable plugins to be used when you run Skyrim. Also the 'increase masser size' plugin on the right indicates you have some plugin installed into your actual skyrim data folder from a manual install or the steam workshop that may not intentionally be there?

What I really wanted to ask though is why does your MO look so cool compared to mine. The scrollbars, buttons, checkboxes, etc. I assume that's just a Windows layout/UI setting?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Stop reading my mind. I only want to readd that city birds mod, open cities, extra useless NPCs, extra guard dialog... gently caress.

Here's what it looks like.

I actually can't notice if the 2k textures are working. I guess I'll need to grab the 8k rock textures while I'm at it. :getin: I get some stuttering here and there but I think that's mainly when loading in new parts of the world as I'm traveling through it as it doesn't happen if I'm in a certain part of the map or stay indoors.

That COT weather system and AOS sound mod is pretty boss.

(slightly ridiculous but it seems to just be this barely-beaten path)

So I need something on improving the textures of buildings and objects, water, rocks, cliffs. Lighting seems good with my monitor tweaks. I wanted to avoid an ENB because I don't like the weird color grading that it always adds. I do like their use of AO and DOF and any technical improvements but turning everything slightly golden brown is weird.

So add:

Static Mesh Improvement
Realistic Water Two
Better Dynamic Snow
Real Ice
(Holy poo poo there's a foliage retexture mod?) Hybrid's HD Plants and Herbs
Vivid Landscapes. At least Cliffs and Creeks.

sound like a good improvement plan?

futile posted:

Checking the mods on the left enables the files and assets, as if you've now installed the mod into your data folder. The right side then lists the plugins that are in your real and virtual data folder so you can enable and disable plugins to be used when you run Skyrim. Also the 'increase masser size' plugin on the right indicates you have some plugin installed into your actual skyrim data folder from a manual install or the steam workshop that may not intentionally be there?

What I really wanted to ask though is why does your MO look so cool compared to mine. The scrollbars, buttons, checkboxes, etc. I assume that's just a Windows layout/UI setting?

Might be a Windows 8 thing.

Edit: my heart sank when I posted and forgot about timg'ing everything. Oh god.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!
Yeah those mods are all pretty good, but I noticed one error from your screenshots - you're not using Uncle Sheogorath.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

melon farmer posted:

Yeah those mods are all pretty good, but I noticed one error from your screenshots - you're not using Uncle Sheogorath.

Uncle Shagohod?

(My mind seems to go blank on loading screens)

futile
May 18, 2009
What is Realistic Landscapes?

Like melon farmer said all of those mods are very good. I'd recommend you use SRO as your base texture pack by which the other mods overwrite because it is very comprehensive and amazing.

Also I didn't know Windows 8 had that nice of a visual theme. With some searching I was able to apply a Windows 8 theme on Windows 7 except without that lovely tile desktop style. Awesome.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

futile posted:

What is Realistic Landscapes?

Like melon farmer said all of those mods are very good. I'd recommend you use SRO as your base texture pack by which the other mods overwrite because it is very comprehensive and amazing.

Also I didn't know Windows 8 had that nice of a visual theme. With some searching I was able to apply a Windows 8 theme on Windows 7 except without that lovely tile desktop style. Awesome.

Is there a way to choose SRO as my base texture pack? Like I said I don't see any of the texture packs on the right to change since Melon Farm said they'd be in data. All I have for textures is that, Midian's armor/creatures and I was planning on getting ones for rocks and flora since they stand out the most to me.

Edit:

Ularg fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 24, 2013

futile
May 18, 2009
Download SRO and put it above all other texture mods in the load order on the left, so that more specialized texture packs like vivid landscapes which overwrite some of the same textures will get precedence. Also texture packs don't have a plugin file so they won't show up on the left. They're just overwriting texture files.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Raygereio posted:

I'm seeing a lot of missing file and property errors. Did you uninstal script-heavy mods from your game and then continue playing with the same save?

There are also errors indication a stack buffer overflow (Dumping stack).
If you have messed with the papyrus settings in your ini file, restore those values to their defaults. You can find the correct values here.
There's a lot of flatout wrong information floating around about the various ini settins. Most importantly in this case is iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes. Some idiot thought that setting controlled how much RAM Skyrim utilized. If you push that setting to high though, it will cause this sort of error.

Lastly I'm seeing a whole bunch of errors which originate from whatever mod has position 14 in your loadorder. I'm guessing it's frostfall? If those errors persist on a new game, go contact Frostfall's creator for advice on those.

Hey, thanks for the post. The game was a new game with no mods changed during it. Trying to be very careful about that as I craft a new skyrim install. I'm using the mods/LO from this post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3567959&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=27#post420838676

I did make some papyrus .ini tweaks as recommended at STEP (I think), but I can revert those. I'll double check on mod #14 -- not at home so I can't test. Between the hang on the loading screen when entering the house grey-mane and the papyrus errors, it looks like I have some real digging to do. I'll work on that this weekend. It may be a matter of one-by-one enabling all ~100 mods and seeing when problems crop up.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Dumb thing. Is the ENB patch still recommended for the 3.1GB memory hard limit? Is that something that is still a thing with Skyrim even on Windows 7/8 64bit? Only asking since ENB is made for DX9 and Skyrim has support for DX10 in its game folder.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Ularg posted:

Dumb thing. Is the ENB patch still recommended for the 3.1GB memory hard limit? Is that something that is still a thing with Skyrim even on Windows 7/8 64bit? Only asking since ENB is made for DX9 and Skyrim has support for DX10 in its game folder.

I mean, have they updated Skyrim at all since that hack came out? Your question confuses me.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

epitasis posted:

I mean, have they updated Skyrim at all since that hack came out? Your question confuses me.

The OP:

quote:

ENB

Get the latest ENB binaries here. Do not reupload them to the Skyrim Nexus under any circumstance whatsoever.

ENB is a tool that lets you apply additional effects on top of Direct3D games. It is the biggest game changers in terms of skyrim visual modding. The latest versions of ENB also incorporate a workaround for Skyrim's 3.1 GB Memory Hard Limit, thanks to a hack created by Boris. The really cool thing about this workaround is that you don't need to have ENB enabled to do so.

I'm an idiot, to preface this. Should I be installing the ENB patch as a workaround of a 3.1GB memory hard limit in Skyrim? Or is this no longer / never was a case?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Yes you should be. That hack is relatively new I'm pretty sure.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah it is new and makes a world of difference.

There is a fancy calculator here that helped me add the correct settings to ENBlocal.ini:

http://www.iparadigm.org/pages/pnenb/ENBoost.html

Before I did that, it made my game run shittier, actually.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

epitasis posted:

Yes you should be. That hack is relatively new I'm pretty sure.

Okay, and one last thing. I'm sorry I am making you spell it out for me basically since I don't quite get what the website is saying.

Am I downloading the tool, ENBInjector, or the patch, or both?

Gyshall posted:

Yeah it is new and makes a world of difference.

There is a fancy calculator here that helped me add the correct settings to ENBlocal.ini:

http://www.iparadigm.org/pages/pnenb/ENBoost.html

Before I did that, it made my game run shittier, actually.

Thanks for this. I have the settings I need ready when I have to set them.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Ularg posted:

Stop reading my mind. I only want to readd that city birds mod, open cities, extra useless NPCs, extra guard dialog... gently caress.

I wanted to avoid an ENB because I don't like the weird color grading that it always adds. I do like their use of AO and DOF and any technical improvements but turning everything slightly golden brown is weird.

I'm pretty sure the open cities mod is broken and never going to be fixed. There's some issue with the newest patch (or patches maybe?) that is unresolvable. Also, you know there are tons of different ENB presets, right? They certainly don't all work the same way and often look quite different. You should experiment with something like Phinix or RealVision, neither of which seemed to be golden brown to me. I'm also pretty sure you can get AO and DoF plugins and add them to a unconfigured ENB preset so you have those fields (and the memory fix) without changing any colors or whatever.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Alright, so if anyone is up to making their own TPC, here is a utility that lets you compare texture files -

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19337//

:stonk:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Oh okay, I think I have it. I'm still dumb though. Forgot to adjust the .ini. Here's a screen anyway.

At least I remembered to turn off AA this time.

Is there anything like the Real Skin for Men mod, but for the whole body? The arms look out of place to that gorgeous face.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 24, 2013

Robocop Horney
Feb 15, 2009

by T. Finninho
Can anyone tell me what about ENB is making the game look like this?

If I disable ENB, it looks great. I've been combing through enblocal.ini but I can't figure this one out. I've tried several ENB configurations and they all do this.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Photosynaesthesias posted:

Can anyone tell me what about ENB is making the game look like this?

If I disable ENB, it looks great. I've been combing through enblocal.ini but I can't figure this one out. I've tried several ENB configurations and they all do this.

Hahahahaha, that looks great, sorry I can't help, it does look like some kind of DoF issue.

Robocop Horney
Feb 15, 2009

by T. Finninho
I think I figured it out; the ENB website is really confusing and hard to navigate, some ancient browser caching issue made the download links take me to a version 0.113 download which is what I was running, but I found out that the newest version of ENB was 0.229 so I manually changed the URL for the 0.113 download page and was taken to a download page for 0.229 :confused:

I'm having all kinds of fun problems, though. I was temporarily playing Sin City Skyrim

Robocop Horney fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 25, 2013

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I'm having all kinds of fun problems, though. I was temporarily playing Sin City Skyrim

That needs to be made intentionally. Looks awesome in a Mad World kind of way.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Should I go for EFF or Amazing Followers Tweaks? I'm using Recruit More Blades, and it apparently has some hoops to jump through with follower mods.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

I think I figured it out; the ENB website is really confusing and hard to navigate, some ancient browser caching issue made the download links take me to a version 0.113 download which is what I was running, but I found out that the newest version of ENB was 0.229 so I manually changed the URL for the 0.113 download page and was taken to a download page for 0.229 :confused:

What bothers me most is the ENB site reads kind of like broken English but I can't really blame anyone if it is. It's just hard to follow what the instructions are on there. I got the ENB on, messed with the ini files and that fixed my random stutter issue. Solid 60fps!

Edit: Getting weird "enbhost.exe process failed to start" add to administrator / AV exception list. AA is off, trying other stuff. Haha this loving game ain't a game no more. love it.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

futile
May 18, 2009
Do you have enbhost.exe in your skyrim folder?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Should I go for EFF or Amazing Followers Tweaks? I'm using Recruit More Blades, and it apparently has some hoops to jump through with follower mods.
Both do a great job, but I think EFF is better due to its much lighter footprint in the game. It also has the cool onscreen UI and command wheel when talking to followers (if you're using the beta).

• Locked thread