Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
The Electrocutioner Boss fight alone is entirely worth $50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Ten minutes in. Good start.

(it's not really a spoiler, but just in case)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

GuyCastle posted:

No predicting necessary, but whereas in AC you had a second or so to press counter when the alert pops up, you now should/need to press it as soon as it shows up because the timing is very unforgiving (relatively speaking, I'm probably only noticing because I spent the last few days doing all the challenges in AC).

It doesn't actually seem like the window is smaller to me, just that you can't really cancel out of other attacks as easily as you could in the other games. If you just stand still and counter, the window is still pretty goddamn generous, but countering in the middle of combat seems a lot harder in general and you have to pay more attention to when you attack.

Not sure I like this change.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm getting vibes from reading that this is going to be closer to more of the same and I am very much happy about that. Can't wait to play it.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.

ethanol posted:

I'm getting vibes from reading that this is going to be closer to more of the same and I am very much happy about that. Can't wait to play it.

I'm about three hours into it, and there really haven't been any major changes at all. More like re-organizing and re-skinning existing aspects.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Just finished watching most of the stream of it that was linked here. Still want to play it, just can't afford it right now. I won't spoil anything, but I have tp say I do not like the new Joker; ythats not to say I want Hamill, as he would be wrong for a younger Mr J. There is one scene I missed when the stream hosed up that I want to see properly. and there is more emotion than previous Arkham games.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I'm only a couple minutes in and loving it. I agree that the counters aren't any less forgiving time-wise. They just don't let you cancel out strikes you were already in the middle of. Which is cool and makes you think before striking in the middle of a crowd. APEX VIGILANTE all day.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I just spent the last 10 minutes running about on a roof top watching how the SNOW shapes as you slide and walk over it.
That alone is worth the money of the game.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

All the fancy PhysX crap they have in the PC version is really awesome looking. Is any of this stuff on the console versions?

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to sit through that loving logo crawl every time it starts up.

Just rename Startup.swf in Steam\steamapps\common\Batman Arkham Origins\SinglePlayer\BMGame\Movies. Straight to the title screen.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I didn't think it would be possible to make these games have even tighter combat, but here we are. This is great so far.

GuyCastle
Jun 24, 2000

I ran into the same geometry bug as Gunder did (getting stuck hanging of a grate ledge). I'd strongly recommend staying away from the Burnley Comms Tower until the game is patched, because while reloading might put me outside again, the panel that locks you inside the room stays hacked and I'm not sure it hasn't borked the solving sequence for the tower.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Still great, if a little jankier than City, from playing the first.. 3 hours?

It's kind of weird just how many goons are on the streets though. I know it's a crazy night, but it's not a prison yet!

I like how Bats is a bit more of a nut in this one. I mean, he's always a nut, but he apparently mellows out later in life, because they are really playing up his cruelty and barely controlled rage here.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 25, 2013

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

Bah. I was actually almost regretting preordering a while ago, but now all the goon love is making me want to Australia VPN to unlock it early. Bleh.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Critically important: Does Batman still sometimes punch people in the balls when a Ground Takedown doesn't align right?

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

sleepness posted:

Bah. I was actually almost regretting preordering a while ago, but now all the goon love is making me want to Australia VPN to unlock it early. Bleh.

Strangely, I was getting error messages when trying to connect to oceanic servers. I ended up picking up a connection in the Philippines. Two minutes left to unpack :ohdear:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

1stGear posted:

Critically important: Does Batman still sometimes punch people in the balls when a Ground Takedown doesn't align right?

Yes. Some times double punch.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yes. Some times double punch.

Rendering criminals impotent so that their child can't go into lives of crime as well?

Truly, he is the hero that Gotham deserves. :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mine doesn't unlock for two hours and I'm really annoyed by this, oh well I'll get to play AA5 a bit while waiting.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gunder posted:

All the fancy PhysX crap they have in the PC version is really awesome looking. Is any of this stuff on the console versions?

I'm actually playing Arkham City for the first time taking advantage of DirectX 11 and full power to the PhysX stuff (originally the game ran very poorly unless in DX9 mode, from memory) and it's crazy how much atmosphere it adds. The snow in particular is great, but also little things like the sparks in certain buildings or the way glass shatters just add a wonderful sense of immersion.

Can't wait to load up Origin and see what the game looks like now.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Quick question for anybody who got it digitally on PSN: 1) can you preload it, and 2) is it going to unlock at midnight?

I unexpectedly got tomorrow off so I'm wondering whether I should do a last-minute buy and get a head start on enjoying the game.

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp
Why is my game in 3D monitor mode without any (that I can see) way of changing it?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
^Do you have a Nvidia card by any chance? The most recent driver updates changed mine to default to 'on,' so I had to go in and change the setting using the Nvidia control panel. It was not isolated to Batman, I noticed it when I booted up Tomb Raider.^

Doctor Albatross posted:

I'm about three hours into it, and there really haven't been any major changes at all. More like re-organizing and re-skinning existing aspects.

As far as re-skinning, I really dig the clearly Nolan-inspired batsuit. I think it's the best looking Batman yet in all three games, and I'm looking forward to New Game + dress-up.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

OK, what does "follow the red trail" mean when doing a little CSI? I see the trail, but button presses don't seem to be interacting with it. I'm using a 360 controller.

e: nevermind I got it

Q-sixtysix fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 25, 2013

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Nvidia put out a performance guide/ rundown of some of the more unusual features in the PC version.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
So assuming my PC can handle it (and I think it should), is it visually superior to the X360/PS3 versions to the point where I should get it on Steam instead of on consoles?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jetfire posted:

So assuming my PC can handle it (and I think it should), is it visually superior to the X360/PS3 versions to the point where I should get it on Steam instead of on consoles?

It can get crazy good looking on PC. Pick it up on GMG if the 25 percent off coupon still works and go nuts with the graphics options.

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

DrNutt posted:

^Do you have a Nvidia card by any chance? The most recent driver updates changed mine to default to 'on,' so I had to go in and change the setting using the Nvidia control panel. It was not isolated to Batman, I noticed it when I booted up Tomb Raider.^

As far as re-skinning, I really dig the clearly Nolan-inspired batsuit. I think it's the best looking Batman yet in all three games, and I'm looking forward to New Game + dress-up.

I'm not sure if it was the latest update but I downloaded Windows 8.1 before I installed Batman. What you said made me look in my nvidia panel and my preferred refresh rate was greyed out on Stereo (I have a 120hz monitor). I couldn't change it so I said gently caress it and uninstalled Nvidia Vision, then I was able to set my refresh rate at highest possible and now the game doesn't run in stereo and it's all good.

This is what I was seeing before I unistalled 3D Vision:

So no idea what it was but thanks of making me think of the nvidia side of things.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It can get crazy good looking on PC. Pick it up on GMG if the 25 percent off coupon still works and go nuts with the graphics options.

GTX 560! Sliding in under the benchmark limbo bar! Woo!

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Gunder posted:

None of the console versions will (fully) feature it, both next-gen systems have Radeon cards which don't have PhysX chipsets, and the current gen system don't have the hardware to emulate it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Bluedust posted:

Why is my game in 3D monitor mode without any (that I can see) way of changing it?

If you find out, let me know, I actually wanted to try the 3D mode out.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Despite liking Asylum and City, I was on the fence. Seeing the positive buzz here helped me get over it. Not to mention the 25% voucher on Green Man Gaming helped.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bluedust posted:

I'm not sure if it was the latest update but I downloaded Windows 8.1 before I installed Batman. What you said made me look in my nvidia panel and my preferred refresh rate was greyed out on Stereo (I have a 120hz monitor). I couldn't change it so I said gently caress it and uninstalled Nvidia Vision, then I was able to set my refresh rate at highest possible and now the game doesn't run in stereo and it's all good.

This is what I was seeing before I unistalled 3D Vision:

So no idea what it was but thanks of making me think of the nvidia side of things.

8.1 has a known issue of making this happen.

MrBadidea
Apr 1, 2009

Gunder posted:

Found a show stopping bug in one of the side quests. When you're sorting out the radio tower in the same part of the city that contains the GCPD building, you enter a small room, the only exit from which is a small vent high up in the ceiling. After bat-clawing the vent cover off, you grapple up into the vent only to find that you can't actually make Batman climb up and into the vent, instead he just clings uselessly to the outside of the vent like he's hanging from a ledge. Tried reloading the game several times, same result every time. Luckily, it doesn't checkpoint you as soon as you enter that room, other wise i'd be stuck in that little room until they patch the game. As it stands I was able to reload the last checkpoint and just continue on with the main story line.

Just got hit by this. I spent about 10 minutes farting around checking the keyboard bindings trying to see if I was missing something obvious. Then I spent another 5 minutes wondering if this was some rear end in a top hat anti-piracy showstopper, like what was used in Asylum, and the game was flaking out thinking my legit Steam copy was :filez:

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
Holy smokes is this game gorgeous. Seeing the gorgeous sprawling gothic architecture in snow covered christmas time is a dream come true for me. Spent half the time in game so far taking pictures of the city , and punching out goons to the tune of sinister batman Carol of the Bells.

Seems like a worthy successor to the Arkham franchise so far. Batman is more terrifying than ever to his enemies, and even the toughest villains go "What ARE you?!" after facing you.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Got this with my second 760, now waiting for it to loving release on Steam. MAN PUNCHING SIMULATOR: THE MAN OF BATS shall commence!

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp
Game is great, once I ironed out the 8.1 kinks (seriously check all your settings for *everything* all over again), it's freaking beautiful and runs smooth as hell.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

gently caress yeah, game's updating for me and I'll be jumping in on this train as soon as it's done.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Do I have to wait until tomorrow to read reviews of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Gunder posted:

Not really, no.

• Locked thread