Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Davos is the opposite of terrible :colbert: Though he does hang with Stannis, which helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Urdnot Fire posted:

Davos is the opposite of terrible :colbert: Though he does hang with Stannis, which helps.

Excellent point well made.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Whenever I read Davos chapters, I have a mental soundtrack of old fishermen songs playing in my head.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Urdnot Fire posted:

Yeah, everyone is great compared with Stannis.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Alhazred posted:

you forget yourself ser

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Stannis is totally the rear end in a top hat teacher from the Twisted Sister music videos.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Come on now, think of who "everyone" includes in this case.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dead Man Posting posted:

Whenever I read Davos chapters, I have a mental soundtrack of old fishermen songs playing in my head.

Now I may just be a simple country fisherman, well I don't even have my fingers anymore... not even the bones... but that don't mean I can't count to 4.

And some blond hair, and its Kelly-C too.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Stannis is totally the rear end in a top hat teacher from the Twisted Sister music videos.

Is... is Selyse then Dee Snider? :ohdear:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Is... is Selyse then Dee Snider? :ohdear:

From Left: Melisandre, Davos, Selyse, Wun Wun, Shireen

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Davos is great because he knows a lot of the world he lives in and how much it sucks.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

quote:

A Twisted Christmas is a Christmas album from US heavy metal group Twisted Sister, released on October 17, 2006. The album features classic Christmas songs performed in heavy metal versions.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

That album has an amazing rendition of Come All Ye Faithful. Seriously, it goes on my iPod immediately after Halloween and sticks around til halfway through January.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

That album has an amazing rendition of Come All Ye Faithful. Seriously, it goes on my iPod immediately after Halloween and sticks around til halfway through January.

Come, all ye faithful, and despair.

I'm following a podcast during my reread, and we just got to the chapter where Hizdar mo FuckYouGeorge has his first audience. During the discussion, the virgin reader says this most amazing thing. When discussing what might happen when they try to kill the other two dragons, he says:

"Well, the book isn't going to have a boring ending where he's like "Daenerys is taking a bath right now so she can't show up for the battle." And then he's completely incredulous that she won't come back to Meereen before the end.

When I first heard this, I thought he said "bathroom" and laughed out loud. Still, poor guy still has hope.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yup, xmas starts when I watch the video for that on youtube.

If anyone hasn't heard it, search for it now, seriously. It's Come all ye faithful set to the tune of We're not gonna take it. I have no idea how that works but it loving does.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Junkenstein posted:

If anyone hasn't heard it, search for it now, seriously. It's Come all ye faithful set to the tune of We're not gonna take it. I have no idea how that works but it loving does.

This song is breaking my brain in the best possible way.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

It is known.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
So I haven't really followed this series for the last couple years, I want to do a re-read through, but figure it'll take me about a year. It's been sort of awhile now, is the projected release date for the next book still never?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

A Typical Goon posted:

So I haven't really followed this series for the last couple years, I want to do a re-read through, but figure it'll take me about a year. It's been sort of awhile now, is the projected release date for the next book still never?

Maybe 2016, or was it 2015? I really have no idea anymore.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

A Typical Goon posted:

Dunno. Ask Tom Clancy.

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

A Typical Goon posted:

Last I heard he was halfway through the first draft about 4 months ago. Keep in mind he already has like 6 or so chapters he'd already written before ADWD came out, so.. maybe he's written 5 chapters the last 2 years? Who knows. We all know he'll die beforehand anyway, whether from food or the stress.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Dunno. Ask Tom Clancy.
Just a reminder that Clancy was only one year older than our fair GRRMie.

Personperson14 posted:

Maybe 2016, or was it 2015? I really have no idea anymore.
I thought it was due this month.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 26, 2013

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
not a blog is down. can someone please update me on what pile of poo poo books I should go and buy?

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

None, you should go see The Guild at his fabulous theatre!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Jeffrey posted:

I think that Dany is not only the fire in ~*ice and fire*~ but she will in fact be a primary antagonist of the closing arc, along with the others.
Is there any reason why there can't be more than one fire? Daenerys and Stannis are the two fieriest fires in the books, and the iciest ices are the Others who are obliterated by dragon fire. Since Stannis is the only one who gives a poo poo about helping the Wall, once Dany finally gets her rear end across the sea it seems like an alliance or even marriage would be the logical step. Both of them have the closest two legitimate claims to the throne by blood, and they're both total pyros. Stannis could be all like "Yeah, the Lannisters are miserable fucks and my brother was a drunk douche who totally stole your birthright, but I'm pretty cool and I have a fire sword and hate ice zombies, so we should totally get it on."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

Stannis could be all like "Yeah, the Lannisters are miserable fucks and my brother was a drunk douche who totally stole your birthright, but I'm pretty cool and I have a fire sword and hate ice zombies, so we should totally get it on."

Yeah, but he won't.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Stannis will break every rule he cares so much about to become king.

He's already cheated on his wife, he's a kinslayer, and he violated what's basically a 5,000 year old treaty with the night's watch.

He can resent Bob all he wants, but his brother only did one of those things.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I haven't checked this thread in a few months. Is Winds of Winter out yet?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

spacemost posted:

Yep, and it answers all of our questions and gets everything ready for the story to wrap up in A Dream of Spring, it's pretty awesome.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The breeze was pretty chilly yesterday morning, I tell you what. :rimshot:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
edit^^:Oh. Guess not.

So has Gurm written anything yet.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A few chapters that read like they were meant for ADWD but the editor finally stepped in and said "no, the book is long enough."

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

mind the walrus posted:

A few chapters that read like they were meant for ADWD but the editor finally stepped in and said "no, the book is long enough."
Ah, so there's going to be yet another book coming out in the series before WOW, in which he's gonna put all of those chapters he wrote for ADWD that didn't make it for release. As expected :colbert:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

spacemost posted:

How can you have a novelization of a TV show that isn't out yet?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

How can you have a novelization of a TV show that isn't out yet?
Written words are wind.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Hoping that in the next year or so, Mr. Tolkien will announce that there is just too much material and the series must needs eight loving doorstoppers for the story to be told. I play cello for the danceband on the GRRMtanic and would like this party to last as long as possible.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Hahaha "editor" oh ho Ho I see what you did there.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Hoping that in the next year or so, Mr. Tolkien will announce that there is just too much material and the series must needs eight loving doorstoppers for the story to be told. I play cello for the danceband on the GRRMtanic and would like this party to last as long as possible.

My bet is that TWOW does get finished late 2015 or 2016, then about a year later he announces the final book will need to be split into 2 monster-sized volumes. Brandon Sanderson then cracks his knuckles and rises from the bench.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

p.crestmont posted:

My bet is that TWOW does get finished late 2015 or 2016, then about a year later he announces the final book will need to be split into 2 monster-sized volumes. Brandon Sanderson then cracks his knuckles and rises from the bench.

Sanderson would finish it still stuck in Wheel of Time mode.

A wind whipped over Westeros from the west and it swept across King's Landing like a cold lick of winter's tongue to all within. It was not the beginning but it was a beginning. There are no beginnings and endings of A Game of Thrones. There are just pedantic fans.

Cersei Lannister licked her lips nervously as she tugged her braid before smoothing her skirts. "Men are stupid." She thought before going off to do something extremely stupid that would require her being rescued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Hunky Joe posted:

Sanderson would finish it still stuck in Wheel of Time mode.

A wind whipped over Westeros from the west and it swept across King's Landing like a cold lick of winter's tongue to all within. It was not the beginning but it was a beginning. There are no beginnings and endings of A Game of Thrones. There are just pedantic fans.

Cersei Lannister licked her lips nervously as she tugged her braid before smoothing her skirts. "Men are stupid." She thought before going off to do something extremely stupid that would require her being rescued.

But who will she spend 5 books saying she's totally not in love with?