Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

hollylolly posted:

I'm trying to imagine how stuffing a dead guy into a latex suit is somehow worth any amount of money. How difficult would that be?! And gross.

I sort of love the ridiculous alibis people were coming up with. "Well, yes, I was committing a crime technically, therefore I could not have murdered him!" The stepmom's alibi was the best. :lol:

I liked the moment there at the end with Sherlock reaching out to the son.

Elementary has realized that can't maintain entire seasons of 22 episodes if Sherlock acts as the same emotionally distant autistic quick-fire rear end in a top hat that Benedict Cumberbatch did.

I give them credit, they're having Sherlock slowly open up to Watson without losing his signature "emotions are a weakness" attitude. Having him admit to her that he was repeatedly violently beaten at boarding school and how it shaped his attitude towards the world is a huge step forward for him in terms of continuing to build a emotionally significant relationship with Watson and having her be more then just another person he's acquainted with and eventually drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Nobody is talking about it so either I heard it wrong or I missed an episode where it was dealt with but uh

in the last conversation with Abigail and Sherlock in the interrogation room, did she just say that Sherlock branded the guy who killed his dad?
Because that is COMPLETELY NEW TO ME and it's kind of :stare:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No. Abigail said Graham did not deserve to go to jail even for only 2 years because he would be branded as the kid that killed his dad for the rest of his life.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 20, 2013

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

No. Abigail said Graham did not deserve to go to jail even for only 2 years because he would be branded as the kid that killed his dad for the rest of his life.

:doh: Ahh I see. I rewatched the end and I guess I mistook "when you're branded the kid who killed your dad" as being "when you branded the kid" and assumed she was referring to something they talked about in their letters.

That's what I get for trying to play pokemon while watching tv I guess!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

New episode tonight (sorry guys I'm on the west coast plus I always seem to forget its Thursday!)

Ancient History

Holmes and Watson find themselves digging through the dark world of the mob to find a killer when they discover the body of a former assassin. Meanwhile, Watson helps a close friend track down a mystery man who swept her off her feet.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I laughed at the ending :buddy:.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I celebrate the slow recovery of Gregson's hair.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm starting to miss Detective Bell and Captain Gregson. I know they want to focus more on Holmes and Watson but the interactions with the police were great and they've really scaled them back so far this season, I think.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't Gregson's first name Tobias early on in the show? I could have sworn I saw a nameplate or something with that written on it...

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm starting to miss Detective Bell and Captain Gregson. I know they want to focus more on Holmes and Watson but the interactions with the police were great and they've really scaled them back so far this season, I think.

After seeing next week's episode preview, it seems like that ought to be fixed.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

IcePhoenix posted:

Bell's "I don't know why you're complaining - I make it work!" about the bulletproof vest was my favorite throw-away moment of the episode.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think he said you make it work.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Haha "Tommy" Gregson. Don't think I knew his first name before.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The weirder part is that his name was Tobias in Season 1. No idea why it changed, but it did.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Are you sure? Tobias is the name of the character in the original stories, but the internet seems to imply that Elementary's has always been Thomas/Tommy.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
He was definitely referred to as Toby Gregson at least once in season 1 and I'm pretty sure there was a Tobias in there somewhere too. The name change is annoying, even though the rest of this ep has been pretty great.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apparently he was Tobias in promo material, but it was changed before airing began.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It was the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime. :allears:

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I have to say I was very surprised and a bit disappointed Holmes would use "feminazi" seriously, even metaphorically.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

inklesspen posted:

I have to say I was very surprised and a bit disappointed Holmes would use "feminazi" seriously, even metaphorically.

Well, he does have a lot of women issues.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I hope Watson does solve one of those cold cases before season 2 ends.

And yes, Holmes has a lot of issues.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

inklesspen posted:

I took it as a sarcastic joke. It seems on the same level as using "Commu-Nazi" in reference to a figure hated by the Tea Party or "known Communist Milton Friedman" when bringing up his support for guaranteed minimum income*.

*Milton Friedman's the conservative Economist of note and his version of GMI was basically a negative income tax

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 1, 2013

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Hypocrisy posted:

I hope Watson does solve one of those cold cases before season 2 ends.

And yes, Holmes has a lot of issues.

I don't see Watson solving one of the cases so much as finding some new bit of info or outlook that allows Holmes to take a fresh, more successful crack at solving it with her helping him.

One thing I love about Holmes is when he talks about his methods, which he really doesn't do as much anymore. When ACD wrote these stories forensics was in its infancy. Holmes "methods" would have been held at around the same level as spiritualism and the theory of ether. A century or so later every police officer and especially criminalist has to demonstrate a full and thorough grounding in Holmes' "methods" before they're allowed to work in their professions.

It's like Michael Jordan is/was very good at basketball, but it's not like he invented the game.

johntfs fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 1, 2013

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Regy Rusty posted:

It was the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime. :allears:

Hah, I didn't even catch that. I like it.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Finally found time to watch the newest episode - I like how they are exploring the relationship between Holmes and Watson. I hope the chest of cold cases comes up again.

Next week we get more Mycroft which looks like a load of fun. :3:

Edit: probably the best line was from Sherlock, looking at Capt. Gregson's computer - "He seems to have a surprising tolerance for videos of mischievous kittens." :lol:

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 4, 2013

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

hollylolly posted:

Edit: probably the best line was from Sherlock, looking at Capt. Gregson's computer - "He seems to have a surprising tolerance for videos of mischievous kittens." :lol:
I was afforded an IRL LOL at Holmes' insult of choice for the cop looking for help with his case - 'Bell-end' :o:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

New episode tonight!

The Marchioness

Sherlock's brother, Mycroft, arrives in New York and enlists Holmes and Watson to help solve a case involving his former fiancée. Meanwhile, Sherlock has a difficult time accepting Mycroft and Joan's relationship.

Spoilers for this week and next week, episode 9 - Mycroft is on next week, too!

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Nov 7, 2013

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Did she say Silver Blaze?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
^ Yes, repeatedly.

Between the curious incident of the dog in the night last week, and an actual horse named Silver Blaze being apparently related to the case this week, I get the feeling that this seasons writers really loved that short story.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Horse pimping is a term I didn't think I'd hear on network tv.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Olivia d'Abo getting typecast as a master criminal. Say "Bawbby" for old times sake.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin
Joan and Mycroft had sex? I didn't see any hints in the London episode. Plus I don't feel they have any chemistry at all.

Bulgaroktonos
Aug 24, 2010

by Lowtax

jscolon2.0 posted:

Olivia d'Abo getting typecast as a master criminal. Say "Bawbby" for old times sake.

Yesssss.

It's been years since she was on CI, but I'm still pissed that they killed her off in such a lame, anticlimactic way.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Oz posted:

Joan and Mycroft had sex? I didn't see any hints in the London episode. Plus I don't feel they have any chemistry at all.

Yeah, that came out of left field for me as well.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I thought she was just saying that so he'd shut up?

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

Pick posted:

I thought she was just saying that so he'd shut up?

Mycroft didn't deny it and it was never revealed as a lie, so it apparently did happen. I guess Mycroft's charms are more powerful than I thought.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Geez, dude is not attractive :psyduck:. Or at least I'm not seeing it.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Pick posted:

Geez, dude is not attractive :psyduck:. Or at least I'm not seeing it.

Have you never wanted to sleep with your roommates ugly brother to piss him off? C'mon.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

pik_d posted:

Have you never wanted to sleep with your roommates ugly brother to piss him off? C'mon.

No, only my friend's more attractive brother :colbert:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

The bit with all three in the car when Holmes was grilling them on each other's sexual prowess was really funny to me. Joan and Mycroft were just :geno: throughout, with Sherlock playing the petulant child in the backseat.

• Locked thread