Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I did a "factory reset" on this dashcam.

Everything is in Russian now. :stonk:

e: finally figured out the язык line was language.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Question for the dash cam people: How necessary is audio in the event of an accident? Could you run the camera to record video only to save some space?

And I'm guessing the camera overwriting the oldest part of the video isn't a bad thing as all you'd really need is the few minutes right before an accident. Still think it'd be neat to see my entire commute on film. Or, as lame as this might sound, what about pulling stills? Sometimes the countryside looks really pretty and I kind of wish I could stop and take a picture :shobon:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The space you would save by not recording audio is going to be insignificant compared to the space required by 1080p video. The quality of stills will mostly depend on the encoding used by the camera but will probably be reasonable.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
In the back of my mind, I figured something like that would be the case. Still quality doesn't have to be anything amazing, just nice enough to share on facebook or instagram.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

How are these dash cams wired? Do you run a wire through the headliner to a cigarette lighter socket somewhere?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mine lets you shut off audio (and it seems a good chunk of the dashcam videos on youtube/liveleak also shut off audio). I haven't done a comparison of file size with and without audio, but all it's really going to catch is me listening to NPR, blasting metal, or cussing my head off when someone pulls out in front of me anyway. :v:

There's nothing stopping you from pulling the files to your computer and pausing the video long enough to do screenshots, though mine is capable of doing stills OR video. I don't think it can pull stills out of video by itself.

ijustam posted:

How are these dash cams wired? Do you run a wire through the headliner to a cigarette lighter socket somewhere?

The majority of them are powered via mini USB or micro USB, so yeah, you need either a socket or some form of switched 5VDC. Mine came with a lighter adapter with a hilariously long cord - it was long enough to tuck into the head liner, run above the passenger door, and plug into the back seat lighter socket (the front one is always live, the back is switched, because GM is a special snowflake) with a few extra feet.

If you don't have a switched socket somewhere (or a way to add on), you have to start/stop recording manually. Most of them allow you to program them to automatically start/stop with the car if you have a switched socket (and they usually have a small internal battery to allow them to record an extra 30+ seconds after power is lost - also giving them time to flush the recording to the SD card).

I'll eventually find a way to hide all of the wiring - it'll probably require wiring a socket under a seat and plugging the charger into that, then running the 5V wire behind panels. I don't want to bury a cheap charger behind the dash, at least putting it under a seat will make it easy to swap when it inevitably fails.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 24, 2013

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
Yeah I'd get a full time dash cam if I could turn audio off. I say poo poo that would make Frank Garrett blush and spin in his grave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO3bxTp-Nsk

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

some texas redneck posted:

I did a "factory reset" on this dashcam.

Everything is in Russian now. :stonk:

e: finally figured out the язык line was language.

I think it's the same word for tongue :P

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Actually now that I'm digging around a bit on the legality, some states require everyone involved in a conversation to know that audio recording is happening.

So if you, say, get pulled over in a two party consent state, and leave it recording.. with audio... you could be in some legal trouble. There's apparently been a lot of people arrested for this.

Texas is a one party consent state, but I think I'm still going to keep an extra memory card handy. Partly to prevent anything good from being overwritten, partly for :tinfoil:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
For almost two years this video had the audio stripped due to that.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
You can always buy a full-bore GoPro, they'll record your whole route and can take snapshots every x seconds at the same time. Pricier than a Chinese dashcam, but with the new models just out the last generation should be discounted in the usual places.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Actually now that I'm digging around a bit on the legality, some states require everyone involved in a conversation to know that audio recording is happening.

So if you, say, get pulled over in a two party consent state, and leave it recording.. with audio... you could be in some legal trouble. There's apparently been a lot of people arrested for this.

Some states have laws making recording a police officer in any capacity illegal, usually qualifying it as "interfering with police business."

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CharlesM posted:

Don't you live in a Scandinavian country? Aren't you guys supposed to be better than us??

We love to act all superior to ya'll, but we have our fair share of douchebags.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

The majority of them are powered via mini USB or micro USB, so yeah, you need either a socket or some form of switched 5VDC.

I just switched out my dash cam and found out too late that my new cam uses a different amperage power supply (1500ma vs 500ma) versus my old cam. The power adaptors are both micro usb and look identical. So now my new cam won't work with the old power supply that I have already installed behind my dash and headliner and I have a big cable hanging in the middle of car like a scrub.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QppW_0_DuiE

Found this camera. Seems pretty good for the money.

Also if you have the camera on your helmet, don't look like an rear end in a top hat and shake your head at everything other people do "incorrectly" and then speed off at 200mph filtering. Looks stupid.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Geoj posted:

Some states have laws making recording a police officer in any capacity illegal, usually qualifying it as "interfering with police business."

Recording of cops while on duty is being challenged pretty much everywhere. Every case I've seen that's gone to court (I can only specifically remember one in NY and one in CA but I know there's others) has ended up defending a citizen's right to record the police.

Granted this doesn't mean cops won't hassle you for pointing a cellphone at them. There's been several stories out of NYC where people were arrested for taping the police, even though their very own chief of police has stated it's ok.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

Geirskogul posted:

For almost two years this video had the audio stripped due to that.

4 full seconds of flashing his gun before he, while in an unmarked car and plain clothes, identifies himself as a cop. Granted I think that's a marked car behind him but my first impression was some guy with a gun road raging.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

xzzy posted:

Granted this doesn't mean cops won't hassle you for pointing a cellphone at them. There's been several stories out of NYC where people were arrested for taping the police, even though their very own chief of police has stated it's ok.

Seattle PD did this to a reporter.

KozmoNaut posted:

We love to act all superior to ya'll, but we have our fair share of douchebags.

Yeah, I was being a little sarcastic of course. Everywhere around the world has its fair share of assholes/crazy, in my observation.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Massachusetts is a two party consent state, which basically means that you need to inform the police or anyone else that they're being recorded on audio - just like if you call somewhere and get "this call may be recorded for quality assurance purposes." Video/pictures have no such requirement, and I'm sure a lot of cameras are set up without audio for that reason.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I don't understand why you need to inform anyone when they're in public, but hey, who ever said the law had to make sense?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

I don't understand why you need to inform anyone when they're in public, but hey, who ever said the law had to make sense?

That's the grounds that a lot of those laws are being challenged on; both parties must have a reasonable expectation or privacy for the law to apply.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CharlesM posted:

Seattle PD did this to a reporter.

So did El Paso PD. IIRC they were filming an accident from the other side of I-10.

quote:

By Daniel Borunda
El Paso Times

TEXAS — An El Paso police officer who arrested KVIA reporter Darren Hunt and cameraman Ric Dupont in a videotaped encounter seen nationwide acted unprofessionally and was given an 11-day unpaid suspension, officials announced Tuesday.

A civilian disciplinary board made of members of the news media and lawyers also decided that allegations of unlawful arrest and excessive force leveled against former Sgt. Raul Ramirez were unfounded.

He was demoted to officer for smacking a kid around, and one of the ones accused of overtime fraud.

Can't say I miss El Paso much..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 25, 2013

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
I support the Get A Dashcam movement. Worst case, you are out ~$60 and it never saves your bacon in court. I've had my DVR-207 for a month and I've collected the highlights from my 15 mile daily commute on the eastside of Seattle. Audio is muted so you don't hear a really obnoxious book on tape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohNYZacujMU&hd=1

Now if only I could capture the sheer volume of people driving with one hand while staring down at their phone in dense but quickly moving traffic

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Ugh, that only reinforces my views of kirkland.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Are there any dash cams that work like an airplane CVR, and record on a loop, or do I have to fiddle with the damned thing to delete data periodically?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

superdylan posted:

I support the Get A Dashcam movement. Worst case, you are out ~$60 and it never saves your bacon in court. I've had my DVR-207 for a month and I've collected the highlights from my 15 mile daily commute on the eastside of Seattle. Audio is muted so you don't hear a really obnoxious book on tape

Now if only I could capture the sheer volume of people driving with one hand while staring down at their phone in dense but quickly moving traffic

That is really the best representation of what its like to drive in the seattle area I have seen. Also, gently caress kirkland.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

MrYenko posted:

Are there any dash cams that work like an airplane CVR, and record on a loop, or do I have to fiddle with the damned thing to delete data periodically?

I'm pretty sure most of the chinese e-bay units do this by default or have a setting to record and then roll over the oldest footage once the media fills up. Also units that have g-sensors and/or an accident button can save footage in a write-protect status until you manually remove it from the card.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MrYenko posted:

Most dash cams can do this. If you find one that can't, don't even bother.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

superdylan posted:

Hahaha, I grew up in Kenmore and for 2 years I lived at the Juanita waterfront (now I'm in Bridle Trails). I gotta say, this is pretty drat accurate. Downtown Kirkland has some of the dumbest drivers around here. So much stupid. The civic that blocked the light at that intersection? Happens Every. drat. Light. There's always a joker trying to squeeze in there.

When I get my DashCam next month, I'm hoping to capture all sorts of stupid in the Redmond area too. This is also due to the fact that Redmond's population grows by 111% between 9 - 5 each work day.

Take 148th for example. Dual carriage way with a speed limit of 40mph. Everyone crams into the left lane, leaving the right wide open. They then proceed to do 30 in the left lane.

Solar Coaster fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 25, 2013

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

superdylan posted:

Oh god thanks for all the flashbacks from my old commute, I'm so glad I don't live or work in Kirkland anymore.

quote:

When I get my DashCam next month, I'm hoping to capture all sorts of stupid in the Redmond area too. This is also due to the fact that [url=http://www.king5.com/news/local/Redmond-has-largest-daytime-population-surge-in-US-210075821.html]Redmond's population grows by 111% between 9 - 5 each work day.

Take 148th for example. Dual carriage way with a speed limit of 40mph. Everyone crams into the left lane, leaving the right wide open. They then proceed to do 30 in the left lane.

Avondale is a great spot for this, especially when an ambulance or fire truck tries to make it down the road between 5 and 7pm on a week day. It isn't so much driver stupidity like 148th tends to be, but rather just the sheer amount of cars. I used to love walking down it and taking every crosswalk during rush hour, probably because I'm evil or something. It's not my fault half of the crosswalks have priority over the traffic!

East/west lake Sammamish pkwy's are the place to go for bicyclist stupidity, especially in the morning. Want to see a bicyclist in the middle of the road (that has a bike lane) with no lights or reflectors wearing all black when its dark outside flip you off and try to crash into you on purpose as you pass them? That's the place for it.

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 25, 2013

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid

Solar Coaster posted:

Hahaha, I grew up in Kenmore and for 2 years I lived at the Juanita waterfront (now I'm in Bridle Trails). I gotta say, this is pretty drat accurate. Downtown Kirkland has some of the dumbest drivers around here. So much stupid. The civic that blocked the light at that intersection? Happens Every. drat. Light. There's always a joker trying to squeeze in there.

When I get my DashCam next month, I'm hoping to capture all sorts of stupid in the Redmond area too. This is also due to the fact that Redmond's population grows by 111% between 9 - 5 each work day.

I used to do the Redmond commute down 148th and it is exactly as described, but then throw in the random speeding guy once in a while to keep it interesting for everybody.

Having a dashcam presents a moral dilemma though - the downtown Kirkland intersection is full of people inventing new traffic rules, and avoiding the area by taking side streets is slightly faster. But if I go home faster, I won't have any videos worth saving. It is immensely frustrating dealing with tailgaters knowing they aren't on camera, and for every incident I can get a clear shot of, there are 3-4 that happen 6+ cars ahead that just don't show up on video. That is almost as bad as forgetting to put the memory card back in for 2 days, or seeing an awesome driver in plain view and realizing I am driving a different car. SIGH

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

If you want to see how well the G1W handles very low light - I got caught in a nasty storm last night, bad enough that the power for most of the city went out. Only illumination for most of it was my headlights + hazards (hazards since I was doing 20-25 on a 50 mph road with little visibility). Mostly low beam headlights + fog lights, tried high beams once or twice in the video.

Fair warning, turn your speakers down if you're at work or have kids around. You can sort of hear me cussing over the rain, brief hail, radio, and defogger.

Geoj posted:

I'm pretty sure most of the chinese e-bay units do this by default or have a setting to record and then roll over the oldest footage once the media fills up. Also units that have g-sensors and/or an accident button can save footage in a write-protect status until you manually remove it from the card.

This. I have a 32GB card in mine, and even at 1080p with audio, I can fit an entire (busy) delivery shift on it before it starts overwriting. Looking at mine now, the oldest video is from the 25th around 7pm, newest is 2:30am today (27th). Doing some quick math based on the # of files on the (full) card, it looks like 32GB will hold about 5-6 hours of video at 1080p w/audio (assuming some of those files are cut short by short trips).

It claims to have a g sensor - I'm not sure what it takes to set it off though. I've managed to have it fall off the windshield and slam itself into the passenger door, and it didn't do anything (tried to mount it to the tinted part of the windshield, but it's tinted with a dot matrix pattern of some sort, so it fell off after a few miles). It has a few settings for sensitivity, I haven't looked into it yet.

MrYenko posted:

Not so much a loop, more that they record in <X> minute long chunks. Mine can be set for 3, 5, or 10 minute chunks, and can be set to overwrite the oldest files when the card fills up.

I have it set to 3 minutes. And until yesterday, I thought there was a 1/2 second gap or so between the files - turns out there's about a 1/4 second overlap instead (this is a good thing).

The G1W also seems to lack at least one button that the firmware is looking for during playback, while another is mislabeled (apparently "REC" is actually "OK"). That's.. not a big surprise to me. You can still use every feature in it, you just get to stumble through the menus a bit until you figure it out.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Oct 27, 2013

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dear car in front of me,

There was enough distance from oncoming traffic to allow at least four cars to make the left turn into our apartment complex. Thank you for being extra-safe and mashing your brakes erratically as you inched your way forward unnecessarily, then slammed on the gas to blow by the car in the oncoming lane that you allowed to close the distance between your cars, nearly having the driver T-bone you and also getting me stuck behind the long line of traffic following that lead car. I salute your driving prowess.

Thanks,
The Midniter

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

To the driver of the Infiniti from a few days ago: It was very fun watching you alternate between tailgating me at 70 and swerving into the right lane to try and pass me and watching you almost run into the slower traffic I was already passing. It was even more fun when you finally did pass me, especially the bit where you decided to split the lanes so you could brake check me, then immediately cut someone off so you wouldn't miss your exit.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I love the dude who decided to tailgate me yesterday during hard winds. Not that it was hard to drive or anything, but you never know what comes flying in front of the car. At least he got the message when I decided to just take my foot of the accelerator where he couldn't pass. I find that it's the best way to get people to back the hell off without risking them overreacting to a brake check. Especially when they are so close that their headlights are blocked from vision.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

I love the dude who decided to tailgate me yesterday during hard winds. Not that it was hard to drive or anything, but you never know what comes flying in front of the car. At least he got the message when I decided to just take my foot of the accelerator where he couldn't pass. I find that it's the best way to get people to back the hell off without risking them overreacting to a brake check. Especially when they are so close that their headlights are blocked from vision.

I throw my feces at them :smug:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

MrOnBicycle posted:

I usually look for a road hazard or other debris to run over at this point. Would have been able to dodge it if you hadn't had your nose straight up my rear end in a top hat, rear end in a top hat.

Pegged some guy real good with a semi truck tire "gator" a while ago :smug:

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
I dodge it, then watch them take it in the rearview. No way for them to dodge when I barely avoided it.

Can we get some more horrible maintenance pics/stories like in the OP?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I watched a lady drive into the car in front of her in a parking spot then just back up and go inside. I left a note for the victim with her details. gently caress people sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I watched a lady in a Prius move slowly towards a Corolla alongside her in the leftlane. While this was happening, I started honking my horn, but she still proceeded to slam her side into the other car in an explosion of side mirror confetti. This happened on a busy commercial street at low speeds and was avoidable in so many ways. As I drove around the carnage (needed to get to work and others spectators had stopped), the offending party looked like she just awoke from a bad dream.