Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
That's what vSync does. If you're getting an unstable frame rate it locks it to a lower but more stable frame rate so you don't get screen tearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003
Multiplayer is really interesting but there is only one game mode so far and 4 maps. I wonder if it will ever be expanded upon. Also there isn't anyway of communicating with your teammates is there? It seems really strange for a team based game not to have any way shape or form of coordinating.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Psygnosis posted:

Multiplayer is really interesting but there is only one game mode so far and 4 maps. I wonder if it will ever be expanded upon. Also there isn't anyway of communicating with your teammates is there? It seems really strange for a team based game not to have any way shape or form of coordinating.

There is an icon in the lobby for what I assume is VOIP, but there is no VOIP. :iiam:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Psygnosis posted:

I saw voice things in lobby area so I think there is a way. Anyway I enjoyed Multi player. At one point I was robin and the Batman teamed up with me diched and I proceeded to Solo the other teams. It was close but very satisfying there were 9 Bane thugs left and 1 Joker thug. all 3 Bane thugs were heading for the Joker thug and I proceeded to sneak by and take out all three thugs before they made it to the Joker thug winning me the match.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I just want to say that I will be playing this game as soon as I get off work in 12 hours, and I thank you early players for being so respectful to those who cannot yet play by proper use of spoiler tags while also hyping the game with precise language. Gentlemen all around.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Knuc If U Buck posted:

So, I guess that Arkham City got rid of GFWL, and my saves along with it?
You can convert them. I just did it using this tool:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3192933

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Shorter counter windows talk from few pages ago - they not only changed the timings on that but there's an upgrade to give you Critical Counters. You get x2 on your combo meter if you press counter button just before being hit. Really glad they add these things for experienced players and didn't dumb the fight system down. Hope they go Devil May Cry 3 or 4 path in the future and make it even more skill-reliant.

Really, Arkham is one of the few games I don't mind being franchised into infinity. Heard people comparing Origins to milking AssCred but it isn't really fair because that one was and still is really shallow gameplay-wise.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 25, 2013

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Terminally Bored posted:

Really, Arkham is one of the few games I don't mind being franchised into infinity. Heard people comparing Origins to milking AssCred but it isn't really fair because that one was and still is really shallow gameplay-wise.

As it turns out, being Batman is really loving fun and I would pretty much be there every year if they CoD the gently caress out of this franchise. I know that makes me a part of the problem but I don't care.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Terminally Bored posted:

Shorter counter windows talk from few pages ago - they not only changed the timings on that but there's an upgrade to give you Critical Counters. You get x2 on your combo meter if you press counter button just before being hit. Really glad they add these things for experienced players and not dumbing the fight system down. Hope they go Devil May Cry 1-4 path in the future and make it even more skill-reliant.

Well, I guess I don't mind it too much, but City was pretty much the perfect mix of old and new. Rocksteady had the balls to take a fantastic working formula and throw half of it out the window for something different and almost equally fantastic. Even though I don't actually like City quite as much as Asylum (although they're really close), I'm glad they didn't stick to familiar territory. Origins does that literally and figuratively and I can't help but be disappointed by that. If they keep pumping out safe sequels, I'm going to get bored of them really fast. I've played City before, and now I'm playing it again with Origins. It's good, but it can only be good so many times.

DrNutt posted:

As it turns out, being Batman is really loving fun and I would pretty much be there every year if they CoD the gently caress out of this franchise. I know that makes me a part of the problem but I don't care.

People always say this kind of thing, but would you really prefer the same game over and over again to them doing new and interesting things? I'm not talking about huge revamps, but something like Asylum to City. I have to imagine that eventually you'd run into fatigue with the formula and even if they keep the same level of quality, you'd get progressively less enjoyment out of each installment. It's already starting with Origin for me.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 25, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Any word on Origins about whether there are advantages to not using detective vision all the time?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Deathstroke lookin' an awful lot like Big Boss under his mask!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Deathstroke lookin' an awful lot like Big Boss under his mask!

He always has.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Any word on Origins about whether there are advantages to not using detective vision all the time?

There are no real advantages to not using detective vision all the time I guess, but there aren't really any real advantages to using it all of the time either, so I don't know why you would. It's not hard to keep track of people without it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There are no real advantages to not using detective vision all the time I guess, but there aren't really any real advantages to using it all of the time either, so I don't know why you would. It's not hard to keep track of people without it.
Well, unless it's dark (it's always dark) and there are walls between you and the enemies (there are often walls between you and the enemies)...?

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
Haha this game sounds really bad. I've already played the other two games, I don't need to play the exact loving thing again. Not if I'm paying full price at least.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

People always say this kind of thing, but would you really prefer the same game over and over again to them doing new and interesting things? I'm not talking about huge revamps, but something like Asylum to City. I have to imagine that eventually you'd run into fatigue with the formula and even if they keep the same level of quality, you'd get progressively less enjoyment out of each installment. It's already starting with Origin for me.

I'd honestly be pretty happy either way. I'm glad that the b-studio they handed this game off to didn't seem to majorly gently caress up the formula, but I'm also super-interested to see what Rocksteady comes out with next, which could very well be something totally different. My biggest concerns when it comes to this particular series are getting the combat right and crafting an interesting story that uses decades of comics as a barebones guidebook. The gameplay in Origins may play it pretty safe, but this story is already way more entertaining than City for me.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, unless it's dark (it's always dark) and there are walls between you and the enemies (there are often walls between you and the enemies)...?

I dunno, I never actually had trouble in City popping on detective vision for just a few seconds a couple times a minute while in predator scenarios and it's less useful in all other scenarios. City changed up the design of those sections so you can more easily use regular vision.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
I am terrible at videogames and would like help.

The Deathstroke boss fight: What's the trick to beating him? Am I just supposed to keep countering him, or is there a sequence of moves I'm supposed to be puzzling out? I'm not having a lot of fun just circling him and countering and trying to hit him and getting pushed back and etc etc etc

If the explanation is THE BAT IS OUT OF HIS ELEMENT AND IT TOTALLY MAKES SENSE THIS IS A HARD BOSS FIGHT then that's loving stupid and not fun.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

In City they added this high-pitched sound playing constantly when you use detective mode, I guess to discourage people from using it constantly. It worked for me, I didn't spend that much time in the mode as I did in Asylum. Now in Origins the sound is even stronger now, and I plan to fiddle with the volume sliders when I get back from work today because Detective Vision is a bit annoying to use now.

Well, I guess I don't mind it too much, but City was pretty much the perfect mix of old and new. Rocksteady had the balls to take a fantastic working formula and throw half of it out the window for something different and almost equally fantastic. Even though I don't actually like City quite as much as Asylum (although they're really close), I'm glad they didn't stick to familiar territory. Origins does that literally and figuratively and I can't help but be disappointed by that. If they keep pumping out safe sequels, I'm going to get bored of them really fast. I've played City before, and now I'm playing it again with Origins. It's good, but it can only be good so many times.

Yeah, but they did really well with this rehash. I'm expecting Rocksteady game to change stuff, as City did to Asylum. Hell, they very well could do the game in Silver Age.

I'm not tired of Batmanning yet. The series is really good at empowering the player and still making it challenging somehow. Maybe it depends on how big a Batman fan you are.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

The Deathstroke boss fight: What's the trick to beating him? Am I just supposed to keep countering him, or is there a sequence of moves I'm supposed to be puzzling out? I'm not having a lot of fun just circling him and countering and trying to hit him and getting pushed back and etc etc etc

If the explanation is THE BAT IS OUT OF HIS ELEMENT AND IT TOTALLY MAKES SENSE THIS IS A HARD BOSS FIGHT then that's loving stupid and not fun.

It's kind of give and take but it's not that hard, really, if you just get into the flow and counter when applicable. I found that it was easier to get hits in on him when I did the double a evade move to jump over him and then hit him from behind.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Quickfire Grapple Claw.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Where the gently caress do you go after the Deathstroke fight? I beat him but have no idea what to do next.

I already used the remote claw to get up to the door which turned out to be locked.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Where the gently caress do you go after the Deathstroke fight? I beat him but have no idea what to do next.

I already used the remote claw to get up to the door which turned out to be locked.

Go through the door with the big flashing exit sign.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Anyone know how to put the waypoint back on the main story objective? I did a side mission (set a waypoint to it) but now that I've completed it I can't find where to go. I'm fairly early in the game, just finished Final Offer. I know the name of the place I need to go, but there's nothing on my map showing the waypoint (like how the previous games had it).

Oh, my game was bugged here. Had to quit to menu and go back in. Door wouldn't open until I did.

paint dry posted:

Haha this game sounds really bad. I've already played the other two games, I don't need to play the exact loving thing again. Not if I'm paying full price at least.

Okay thanks for dropping by.

EDIT:

I had trouble with this fight at first, but it was really easy once I worked it out. You need to resist the urge to counter every single attack. Be patient and wait for the counter sign. When he counters your attack, it's usually 3 swings before the counter icon appears. It gives you slightly longer than usual to counter when the time is right (compared to your average thugs). This is on hard difficulty.

Keeku fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Oct 25, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Keeku posted:

Oh, my game was bugged here. Had to quit to menu and go back in. Door wouldn't open until I did.
Ah, okay. Yeah, I tried going through every door I could find and none were opening.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Reviews are dropping, 8.7 from GameTrailers:
http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/vez8x1/batman--arkham-origins-review

And here's Sessler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abobnR5sFrM

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face

randombattle posted:

Quickfire Grapple Claw.

Thank you. This should be slapped in the OP in 44-point railroad type, flashing red with Blingee lights dancing around it. What a miserable loving experience. I hope I never have to do it again (I will do it again in new game plus and I Am the Night).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yikes, a 6/10 from GameSpot:

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/batman-arkham-origins-review/1900-6415506/

The reviewer gives it that score because it's exactly the same game as Asylum and City, which it pretty much is, but it's still fun enough.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

The reviewer gives it that score because it's exactly the same game as Asylum and City, which it pretty much is, but it's still fun enough.

Yeah, but that's not a particularly well-written review. I mostly agree with Sessler, he named the game's pros and cons well and gave it 4/5.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Hm, that seems good, all things considered. I liked the bit about Montreal and "hack the communication tower to reveal the map" gameplay. I like that kind of thing so maybe I'll do it.

edit: my least favorite part of City was fighting roaming groups of thugs just because they were in the way. What did they even do to Batman anyway? I mean, in Asylum they had broken out and had killed the guards and everything, but in City they're just...in jail. They hadn't even done anything illegal until Batman came along. And they were freezing and starving to death, I felt bad fighting them.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 25, 2013

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Thanks.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

They hadn't even done anything illegal until Batman came along. And they were freezing and starving to death, I felt bad fighting them.

Then... why were they in jail?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Orv posted:

Then... why were they in jail?
No I mean, after they went into jail. They were just serving their time, trying to survive in a giant, cold prison with no food, with no guards to protect them from each other and run by crazy murderous people, and then a guy in a bat costume showed up and punched them all in the face just for being there...in prison.

I couldn't feel anything but pity for them. And surely it was intentional, with all the conversations you overhear from them?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

No I mean, after they went into jail. They were just serving their time, trying to survive in a giant, cold prison with no food, with no guards to protect them from each other and run by crazy murderous people, and then a guy in a bat costume showed up and punched them all in the face.

Some of them actually run away if you walk up to them and others attack. It's up to you how you react to that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Terminally Bored posted:

Yeah, but that's not a particularly well-written review. I mostly agree with Sessler, he named the game's pros and cons well and gave it 4/5.

I'm still not very far in but 4/5 sounds about right. If I was to call City a 9/10 I'd give Origins 8/10.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/batman-arkham-origins-review/1900-6415506/

Considering gamespot's attitude towards reviews lately with Bioshock Infinite being the worst game of the year and Beyond Two Souls being absolutely perfect with no flaws at all I don't hold their work with high opinions. Or low opinions for that matter just absolutely pointless to even look at the site anymore.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

randombattle posted:

Considering gamespot's attitude towards reviews lately with Bioshock Infinite being the worst game of the year and Beyond Two Souls being absolutely perfect with no flaws at all I don't hold their work with high opinions. Or low opinions for that matter just absolutely pointless to even look at the site anymore.

It's almost like different reviewers have different opinions! I don't know, their Origins review seems mostly fair. The game is so similar to the last, fatigue is going to set in, as I was saying earlier, and it sets in faster for different people. I don't know if I'd like another game exactly like this after this one at all. It took one less iteration for Gamespot's reviewer to feel that kind of fatigue. I much prefer reviews where the reviewer expresses an honest opinion and bases the score off of their own experiences rather than treating it like a rote product review, going down a checklist. "Well it has all of these features, therefore 8.5/10!"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

randombattle posted:

They originally gave BioShock Infinite a 9, then I think one of their other reviewers did an alternate review just recently and gave it a 4 or something like that. That was weird. Happened months after the game was released.

Yeah, their reviews aren't always spot on, but at least they're usually better than, say, IGN. I really hate their new site design, though :( Their old design was around for years and it didn't need changing. Now the site sucks to go through. Which is a shame because I love some of their weekly shows and some of their reviews are pretty accurate even though not all of them are.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 25, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I believe Gamespot's new policy is to review games more than once, at different times during their patch/DLC path, and by different people. Maybe just to gently caress with Metacritic and keep people from just going there for reviews, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
People often say reviews should be one thing or another - "reviews should be objective with no opinions!", "reviews should be entertaining!", "reviews should be informative!" - I think there's room for just about all of them. Leave it to the most qualified in each field.

• Locked thread