Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I don't know about anyone else here, but I definitely get mildly cheesed when a reviewer gives a game I like + paid $50 for a bad score. Makes me feel ripped off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I believe Gamespot's new policy is to review games more than once, at different times during their patch/DLC path, and by different people. Maybe just to gently caress with Metacritic and keep people from just going there for reviews, I dunno.

I don't think it's policy, I think they're just allowing it now. The Bioshock re-review only came to pass because that guy really wanted to do it.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
If I liked it, it doesn't really phase me. Just somebody with a different opinion.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face

Terminally Bored posted:

Yeah, but that's not a particularly well-written review.

Carolyn is like some lovely Kotaku escapee they keep around because they feel bad for her, or something. A terrible reviewer.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I don't know about anyone else here, but I definitely get mildly cheesed when a reviewer gives a game I like + paid $50 for a bad score. Makes me feel ripped off.
Honestly, though, unless Origins is your first Arkham game, you should've known you were getting the same game over again.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Just don't take it too far or you'll turn into

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Honestly, though, unless Origins is your first Arkham game, you should've known you were getting the same game over again.

Should you have? City was really different in a lot of key ways.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Thing is, part of what they seem to want iterated is the combat. Which is by far the franchises biggest strong point, a really interesting and fluid combat system that most any other game would kill to match.

I think the majority of us fans would be pretty pissed if they changed the base combat much. So if they can't change the combat, what CAN they change that would change the game enough to feel fresh?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Early impressions:

- It 'feels' weird compared to the Rocksteady titles. Not better, not worse, just the weights in the engine feel weird.
- Multiplayer is fun when you're playing it, but I can't imagine it surviving long or building a community. It's typical Splash Damage fare, but the total lack of communication on the PC platform smells like low effort.
- I managed to encounter a bug in my very first fight in Single Player. I got the 'slow-mo' final hit on the second to last guy, at which point the last guy just paced around me like he could hit me, but I couldn't hit him and he couldn't hit me, either.

Summary so far for me has been slightly negative; They've still got a rock solid concept and core game mechanics, but it just doesn't feel like it has the same level of care and polish the two Rocksteady titles did. I'm not damning it quite yet, I want to give it more time, but I'm a little skeptical at present.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Doctor Albatross posted:

People often say reviews should be one thing or another - "reviews should be objective with no opinions!", "reviews should be entertaining!", "reviews should be informative!" - I think there's room for just about all of them. Leave it to the most qualified in each field.
Basically this is the problem with gamespot and has been for a long time. Gamespot's reviews stick to the old generalized one size fits all style of reviews that used to go in magazines and stuff but the problem is this style of reviews just don't work well when you try to make it personality driven as well. It's like if someone really loves Pokemon they can't write an unbiased review of a new Pokemon game. Not to say that all reviews have to be unbiased but you just can't have your cake and eat it in this situation. That's why I find their work to be just flat out pointless because it fills none of those review positions in any meaningful way.

I can find better unbiased reviews from other websites and their "personalities" aren't apparent in any work that they do making me not care about their personal opinions in any way.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Then why is it full price? Like that other dude said, City was expanded upon in almost every way. I watched a stream last night where the introduction to predator takedowns in Origins was ripped straight out of City and I just rolled my eyes and went to bed.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So any reviews of Blackgate yet? I didn't even realise that was out on the same day until I saw it on Sony's store. It's had so little marketting behind it but it looked far more interesting.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Should you have? City was really different in a lot of key ways.
Like what? I sure didn't feel like it was when I played through it.

Everyone says it was different and new, but aside from the world being bigger and more open, what was different about it? The big open world didn't even seem to change it that much over the first one.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I also didn't think the open world changed very much beyond more distance between meaningful things. And using gadgets in combat, but there wasn't ever much reason to do that, your bat-fists were enough for almost all the fights. I guess that's been fixed here though?

edit: I guess what it comes down to is that for me, the "meaningful things" about the Arkham games are the Metroidvania areas that are mostly indoors. The whole rest of the game hardly means anything to me.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 25, 2013

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

So any reviews of Blackgate yet? I didn't even realise that was out on the same day until I saw it on Sony's store. It's had so little marketting behind it but it looked far more interesting.

Kotaku has a review up, and it was mostly glowing. The only thing they didn't seem to like was the story + setting, other than that, seems like a keeper.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Like what? I sure didn't feel like it was when I played through it.

Everyone says it was different and new, but aside from the world being bigger and more open, what was different about it? The big open world didn't even seem to change it that much over the first one.

The world being bigger and more open was a huge difference. It also affected the way you got around with the new gliding mechanics, and it completely changed how sidequests were encountered. Your entire experience between going through the core storyline events was completely different in the two games. They also added a lot of new gadgets to the mix, and a lot of new enemy types that required different ways to defeat them. It felt like Rocksteady wasn't content just resting on their laurels and releasing the same game with a new coat of paint as a sequel, and actually set out to alter pretty significant parts of the formula.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

I don't see how this is true. City was significantly different from Asylum, and despite the number of people in this thread saying they'd be happy playing rehashes of City every year, there are plenty of people who want something at least a little different when they're expected to fork out $50.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MEH. City felt like a rehash to me. I enjoyed it for what it was when I played through it, but I never felt the urge to play through it again like I still do with Asylum from time to time. Origins feels like it's gonna be the same as City for me. I'm enjoying what I've played so far, but it's probably not gonna be the kind of game that has such a hold on me that I want to revisit it in the future.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I just rolled my eyes and went to bed.

He rolled his eyes and went to bed.

He saw the video, on the internet, and rolled his eyes and went to bed.

He lay down in his bed and pulled the covers up, after he rolled his eyes.

The eye roll that took him to bed, scornful, tired, and labored at the world's efforts to entertain him.

He slumbered, eyes rolled to the back of his head. Rolling like a cyclotron, burning and whirring and chugging. He rolled his eyes, and then there was darkness. Bitter, dismissive darkness.

He rolled his eyes and went to bed. There was nothing there, after all. He had seen it, with his rolled eyes. And they rolled anew, and would roll again and keep rolling, endlessly, never resting. Never focusing. Always pointed skyward, searching, questing, longing for the answer. But never not rolling.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Bugs I've had:

- Being trapped in a room because the doors wouldn't open (had to quit to menu and go back in to resolve.)
- Main quest waypoint being lost after doing a side quest. Finally found where to go and is working fine now, but was very frustrating at the time.
- Just now, I pulled a grate open with the batclaw and used grapple to get up to it, but Batman won't climb into it (even though it's obvious it's exactly where I'm supposed to go as there were similar situations in both previous games.

Apart from the bugs, there's a really good game here. I just wish I didn't keep having fun interrupted by bug frustration.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

MEH. City felt like a rehash to me. I enjoyed it for what it was when I played through it, but I never felt the urge to play through it again like I still do with Asylum from time to time. Origins feels like it's gonna be the same as City for me. I'm enjoying what I've played so far, but it's probably not gonna be the kind of game that has such a hold on me that I want to revisit it in the future.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. The move to a larger, more open world in City was enough for me to feel like that purchase was worthwhile. It's a shame there's nothing in what I've read about Origins that makes me feel like spending the same amount of money again.

Edit: Blackgate looks great though. poo poo, how come I've never heard about this.

Edit 2:
Yeah so uh what is this post.

paint dry fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 25, 2013

myname_isdoug
Jul 9, 2003

i can and i can not

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

Ah jeez! The person I quoted indicated that the game was out earlier than usual, but thankfully you came along, and informed me otherwise! Unfortunately, you did it in a lovely way, which sucks! Your lovely way sucks a whole lot! Your lovely way was probably awesome for you, but not for me! For me, it sucked! For you, it ruled! I guess that's why you said it the way you did. Oh well! The end!

I am terrible at videogames and would like help.

The Deathstroke boss fight: What's the trick to beating him? Am I just supposed to keep countering him, or is there a sequence of moves I'm supposed to be puzzling out? I'm not having a lot of fun just circling him and countering and trying to hit him and getting pushed back and etc etc etc

If the explanation is THE BAT IS OUT OF HIS ELEMENT AND IT TOTALLY MAKES SENSE THIS IS A HARD BOSS FIGHT then that's loving stupid and not fun.

The eye roll that took him to bed, scornful, tired, and labored at the world's efforts to entertain him.

He slumbered, eyes rolled to the back of his head. Rolling like a cyclotron, burning and whirring and chugging. He rolled his eyes, and then there was darkness. Bitter, dismissive darkness.

He rolled his eyes and went to bed. There was nothing there, after all. He had seen it, with his rolled eyes. And they rolled anew, and would roll again and keep rolling, endlessly, never resting. Never focusing. Always pointed skyward, searching, questing, longing for the answer. But never not rolling.

Hey maybe you should stop being a hissyfit sissybitch all the goddamned time

What are you even doing?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Contender for worst post of the year

Oh dear. Did you get a flash of buyers remorse induced insanity?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Considering City stole 80% of its gameplay and story from Asylum and didn't do much other than open world, I'll easily take more of the same gameplay with a much better plot, which so far is what I'm getting. (at least, after Penguin.)

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

paint dry posted:

I don't see how this is true. City was significantly different from Asylum, and despite the number of people in this thread saying they'd be happy playing rehashes of City every year, there are plenty of people who want something at least a little different when they're expected to fork out $50.

You two guys really confuse me. Are you the same person?

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Funso Banjo posted:

I don't understand what you mean by that. My opinion is the polar opposite of that guy's, for one thing. And also I don't post like an insane person.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I felt like when this conversation started that there was going to be a normal chat about a game being slightly disappointing, but then one guy loses his poo poo and suddenly I'm on neogaf.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Deathstroke fight ruled. I was hoping for just a straight-up mano-a-mano fight with him, and that's what I got. The actual fight animations were gorgeous too.

Really, yeah, a lot has been rehashed. But hell, I loved the gently caress out of Asylum and City, and so far I'm loving the gently caress out of Origins. Why should I give a gently caress about a review?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

VogeGandire posted:

Really, yeah, a lot has been rehashed. But hell, I loved the gently caress out of Asylum and City, and so far I'm loving the gently caress out of Origins. Why should I give a gently caress about a review?

If you have to ask that question, you shouldn't. Clearly these reviews aren't meant for you.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

That's what vSync does. If you're getting an unstable frame rate it locks it to a lower but more stable frame rate so you don't get screen tearing.

If you have an nVidia card, you should never, ever, ever have to deal with this problem. GO into nVidia control panel and set your VSync to Adaptive, then turn VSync off. Why they don't expressly tell you to do this and automatically set the CP up that way is beyond me.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

VogeGandire posted:

Why should I give a gently caress about a review?

If you already own the game and are enjoying it, the only reason you should care about reading reviews is for the sake of seeing what others thought about it.

Not to be rude, but honestly the only reason why people seem to care so much about review scores is because they need self-gratification for spending $60 on something. It's how you end up with that picture posted earlier of people having a temper tantrum over Jeff Gerstmann's Twilight Princess review, or the flood of angry comments on any review that gave GTA V anything lower than a perfect score.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

miscellaneous14 posted:

If you already own the game and are enjoying it, the only reason you should care about reading reviews is for the sake of seeing what others thought about it.

Not to be rude, but honestly the only reason why people seem to care so much about review scores is because they need self-gratification for spending $60 on something. It's how you end up with that picture posted earlier of people having a temper tantrum over Jeff Gerstmann's Twilight Princess review, or the flood of angry comments on any review that gave GTA V anything lower than a perfect score.

Exactly. We've all bought and enjoyed at least a few games with "bad" review scores. What does it matter?

I've been playing Star Trek Online - a game derided by reviewers, gamers and Trek fans alike - solidly for the past two weeks. Who cares what other people think if you personally are having a blast?

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I can understand being annoyed by a review which is poorly written and/or poorly justified. Even then, though, you have to just let it go. Is getting mad in the comment section of somebody's article really going to achieve anything productive?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I've got a pretty easy metric for if someone on the fence will probably enjoy Arkham Origins. Do you want more of the same we've seen in Arkham City, with the only real additions being a significantly larger map, a new and decent storyline, and a few new gadgets? That's literally it.

If yes: It's probably worth the $50 to you. I'm really enjoying it myself. It's really fun and one of the boss fights I've been in so far was pretty good.

If no: You should skip it. There is a decent amount of content but again you've already played this game before back in 2011.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 25, 2013

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I want more Arkham City, but not willing to shell out 50$; but more Arkham City is always good.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Ever since I saw a 17 minute preview walkthrough of Arkham Origins I have wanted to do this:

"I won't stand a chance against that many armed men".
Challenge accepted.
http://imgur.com/Mkoh2fq (linked in case considered spoiler)

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

I want more Arkham City, but not willing to shell out 50$; but more Arkham City is always good.

Wait a year and you'll be able to pick up Origins + DLC for $10. Ah, the magic of Steam sales.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So is the DLC out already? Is the "Young Bruce fighting with the LoS" DLC just a bunch of challenge maps or something more substantial?

Also, gamefly sent me a copy of Arkham Origins! Usually it takes at least a week or two to get a new release, looks like the Gods smiled on me this time!

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I like the Dark Knight challenge things, little cool things for Batman to prove his Bat coolness. You can do almost all of them straight away which is cool as well.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Funso Banjo posted:

Dr. Video Games 0029's gimmick is to make long, unfunny posts poorly satirizing any posts he disagrees with. Dunno what the other guy is about.

So yeah, multiplayer is pretty fun. Finally got a heroes win, came down to the wire and was really awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Orv posted:

Dr. Video Games 0029's gimmick is to make long, unfunny posts poorly satirizing any posts he disagrees with. Dunno what the other guy is about.

I still don't see what's wrong with my post.

• Locked thread