Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Macaluso posted:

The book episode is pretty funny, especially the fight at the end.

I was watching a SDCC interview with Tara Strong and it sounds like 5 voice actors all record their lines together? Which is very unusual and probably accounts partly for how good the comedy is
That's not that uncommon. I think it's definitely an Andrea Romano thing (the Emmy-winning voice director for BTAS, JL, Animaniacs, Teen Titans, Avatar, Young Justice, and a million other properties). There are probably some clips floating around of BTAS recording sessions, complete with Mark Hamill standing up and shouting while everyone else is sitting in their booths.

Macaluso posted:

edit: Jesus christ the dude who voices Robin does not match his voice at all :psyduck:
Just watch Mission Hill.

edit: This bit was on one of the early DVDs and it shows how much the actors got into their roles in this goofy-rear end cartoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcnyz6LMJ4U

Hazo fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Similarly, clips I've seen of recordings from The Clone Wars show the group in a big room with each other. You get to see the guys who play Anakin and Obi-Wan physically play off each other and you can tell how much it helps them in developing and conveying the friendship those two are supposed to have. It's almost hilarious how much more chemistry those two voice actors have compared to Hayden Christensen and Ewen McGregor.

I know for a fact that doing everything in the same room is how almost every production over in Japan does things as well. Angry silly anime nerds always used to say that Japanese VA's put out a higher quality product than American VA's did unless those VA's were full-time "real," actors, and I do honestly think that the whole "the group works together in a room," thing was a big part of helping create that perception. It also helped that VA was a full time job and acting career unto itself for decades before that was possible over here, but that's another discussion.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
This show is pushing all the buttons of their fans. I love it.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Next Episode: Lazy Sunday
Airs 9th October

It's Lazy Sunday, and to the dismay of the rest of the Titans, Cyborg and Beast Boy ain't moving a muscle! (Note: It's actually Tuesday)
When Robin replaces their beloved couch with a treadmill, the both must start to get used to a more active lifestyle.

Watch the preview here!

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 4, 2013

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
The book episode was pretty great, though admittedly part of that is how it kind of felt familiar to me to have the fun of reading destroyed by people who constantly want you to analyze stuff instead of just enjoy it for what it is. :shobon:

The bit with "reading nearly killed us" at the end was also priceless.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Hey so I had written this show off based on what I had heard about it but thanks to this thread I wound up giving it a go and wound up watching all of the episodes. Consider me a fan. Thank you, Something Awful Teen Titans GO thread!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
A) Shouldn't Beast Boy be against burritos since he's a vegetarian?
B) Cyborg's burger song is the greatest.

BUNS KETCHUP PICKLES CHEESE PUT THAT PATTY IN BETWEEN IT'S BURGER

WHAT WHAT

IT'S BURGER

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Macaluso posted:

You can make vegetarian burritos. :colbert:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Macaluso posted:

B) Cyborg's burger song is the greatest.

BUNS KETCHUP PICKLES CHEESE PUT THAT PATTY IN BETWEEN IT'S BURGER

WHAT WHAT

IT'S BURGER

I had that stuck in my head for like a week after watching that episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

You can make vegetarian burritos. :colbert:

Yeah, I think they've always put in a little line explaining any time Beast Boy eats something that usually has meat that its a veggie version.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, I think they've always put in a little line explaining any time Beast Boy eats something that usually has meat that its a veggie version.

Except the first episode, where he was totally gonna eat that magical bacon sandwich.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rudoku posted:

Except the first episode, where he was totally gonna eat that magical bacon sandwich.

Well it's magic, man. Raven said it makes you a king. I think I'd make an exception.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Hookshot Bird is back!
:neckbeard:

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Fantastic episode, that workout montage was amazing.

In other news, I love Vines from the TTG staff.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Is there any way to catch the episodes outside of when they air on TV?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, they are on Cartoon Network's website. You might have to have cable, though.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Yeah, they are on Cartoon Network's website. You might have to have cable, though.

Yep. Turner puts their next-day streams behind a cable subscription wall, but other than that there's iTunes and Amazon.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I got so caught up in Pokemon Y I forgot to post the preview, but man Starfire the Terrible was a great episode. I'm really enjoying those signature TTG-endings where no one ends up learning anything at all.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, even for a TTG episode the end contained pretty much no resolution to anything that had occurred. Hell, three of the characters ended up in a pit full of piranhas and that is the last we saw them.

Starfire's evil fort was the best. I loved the evil banners made out of paper towel rolls and the torches with cardboard fire.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

horriblePencilist posted:

I got so caught up in Pokemon Y I forgot to post the preview, but man Starfire the Terrible was a great episode. I'm really enjoying those signature TTG-endings where no one ends up learning anything at all.

I'm not sure most of the gang survived to learn anything.

It killed me every time Starfire pushed a button on her cardboard console and went "boop beep!" followed by some huge deathtrap opening up.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I really like Robin trying to reform his hair, going from Bart Simpson to Goku to Sonic the Hedgehog. This episode was great.

e: I really want to make a gif of Robin's face slowly turning into a smile as the hair gel rolls across the floor but it seems WB is really cracking down on Youtube and I can't find a decent video to use anywhere. Oh well, I'm sure if I give it a week, one will turn up (or someone will do it for me).

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 18, 2013

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

It really seems like the show crew is just daring the Internet to make gifs out of the episodes. So many sequences are looped so perfectly.

This show is a delight. I loved Starfire's gargle-roar.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I found out about this a few weeks ago and have been working my way through it. "A delight" is putting it perfectly. I'm a little biased by nostalgia, but these characters and VAs have great chemistry.

Also, I got to the hotdog eating contest and I rewatched the last five seconds of that at least ten times. It's sooooo much better than the OP implies.

**A monster made of fruit juice and barbecue sauce is terrorizing the city!

Cheston fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 21, 2013

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
That triple power move was spectacular! Like it came right out of Chrono Trigger

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing that was great was at the beginning of the episode when Beast Boy and Cyborg were showing off their power move and everyone started out doing fighting game poses.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I adore the running gag of Robin basically being an insufferable rear end in a top hat.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
The secret of Teen Titans is that Robin was actually Jason Todd the whole time :aaa:

e: also, in retrospect, how loving weird is it that the characters in Teen Titans are in-costume the whole time? It's the only cartoon I can think of where they only have superhero identities - though I could imagine maybe one of the X-Men cartoons doing the same thing, considering in both cases no one is trying to lead a double life.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 25, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

abraham linksys posted:

The secret of Teen Titans is that Robin was actually Jason Todd the whole time :aaa:

e: also, in retrospect, how loving weird is it that the characters in Teen Titans are in-costume the whole time? It's the only cartoon I can think of where they only have superhero identities - though I could imagine maybe one of the X-Men cartoons doing the same thing, considering in both cases no one is trying to lead a double life.

Nobody was ever out of costume in Young Justice, were they?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Part of the original pitch of the show was literally, "No secret identities." Then they realized that it really pissed off comics nerds, so they kept doing it because it was funny but at the same time dropped hints about their "real names" or whatever.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

Nobody was ever out of costume in Young Justice, were they?

No, Robin and Kid Flash were a few times. And of course, when Kid Flash and Artemis quit, they were out of costume too.

Hazo posted:

I adore the running gag of Robin basically being an insufferable rear end in a top hat.

Robin really is my favorite part of the show just because of how totally manic he is. The first couple of minutes of the driving test episode probably have made me laugh harder than anything else on the show just because of the scene of Robin smoke-bombing into rooms yelling "GUYS! EMERGENCY!"

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Hazo posted:

It's hilarious because although I'm sure my memory/judgement has been clouded with time, I distinctly remember thinking him kinda insufferable and overbearing even in the original, so it's lovely to have my opinion validated :allears:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

CuddlyZombie posted:

It's hilarious because although I'm sure my memory/judgement has been clouded with time, I distinctly remember thinking him kinda insufferable and overbearing even in the original, so it's lovely to have my opinion validated :allears:

This. In fact, even in the original there were several episodes entirely or partially dedicated to what an rear end in a top hat Robin was and how he was always working to overcome that limitation.

Just one more reason for the pile of reasons why people who condemn this show as being some grand betrayal of the original are deluded I guess.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The previous Teen Titans cartoon was kind of weird when you think about it. Like how there was that whole thing of Robin creating a villain persona called The Red X with all sorts of crazy gadgets. Then someone steals the costume and gadgets and is running around actually being The Red X. Or when Cyborg fought Brother Blood and uses magic powers to defeat him but then explicitly says "I will never be able to use those again."

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Jesus this episode was amazing. However, is it me or did the music feel different?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

The previous Teen Titans cartoon was kind of weird when you think about it. Like how there was that whole thing of Robin creating a villain persona called The Red X with all sorts of crazy gadgets. Then someone steals the costume and gadgets and is running around actually being The Red X. Or when Cyborg fought Brother Blood and uses magic powers to defeat him but then explicitly says "I will never be able to use those again."

Huh, I just sort of assumed he somehow jacked Blood's powers through sheer force of will and did it that way.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He kind of says that but it really doesn't make any sense. Mostly because I'm pretty sure Brother Blood didn't have robot limb regrowing powers.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Hazo posted:

It really seems like the show crew is just daring the Internet to make gifs out of the episodes. So many sequences are looped so perfectly.

This show is a delight. I loved Starfire's gargle-roar.

Possibly I have low standards but I liked the moon explosion.

And the cardboard fortress. That was hilarious.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

xcheopis posted:

Possibly I have low standards but I liked the moon explosion.

And the cardboard fortress. That was hilarious.

Starfire the terrible is probably my favorite episode of the whole series so far, your standards aren't low at all. I'm frankly really shocked at how great TTGo turned out, because it probably makes me laugh out loud harder than most adult comedies. The whole staff deserves a pat on the back and a 6 season contract in my opinion.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

He kind of says that but it really doesn't make any sense. Mostly because I'm pretty sure Brother Blood didn't have robot limb regrowing powers.

Ok so he has telekinesis, right? Imagine using it to move a pipe into place and then tighten or turn bolts and such? Now imagine doing it in a much more complex way to do it with cybernetics. Like, server and remake molecular bonds and such here to bend it into shape, attach to this, etc, etc. So like nanites or something but with your mind. I wouldn't be surprised if he was familiar enough with his parts that he could recreate it with his mind.

I imagine it was like that.

Edit
Wow I am over thinking a deus ex machina.

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

xanthan posted:

Ok so he has telekinesis, right? Imagine using it to move a pipe into place and then tighten or turn bolts and such? Now imagine doing it in a much more complex way to do it with cybernetics. Like, server and remake molecular bonds and such here to bend it into shape, attach to this, etc, etc. So like nanites or something but with your mind. I wouldn't be surprised if he was familiar enough with his parts that he could recreate it with his mind.

I imagine it was like that.

Edit
Wow I am over thinking a deus ex machina.
That's basically it. Blood mutilated himself to get robot parts so he could use them to psychically hack into the cybernetic parts of Cyborg's brain, but Cyborg reverse-hacked him and tapped into his telekinesis to rebuild himself. They just explained it in a really bad way in the episode.

:spergin:

• Locked thread