Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Tai-Pan posted:

I promise you that in 25 years we will all regret the decision not to buy a clean, manual transmission ZR1 for pocket change.

Why bother when you can get a C5 Z06 for the same price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Tai-Pan posted:

I promise you that in 25 years we will all regret the decision not to buy a clean, manual transmission ZR1 for pocket change.

No kidding, that thing is gorgeous!

In 1990 ZR1 had a MSRP of 59k, which is equivalent purchasing power to $105,566.75 today.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Facebook gold.

I've known this fucker since high school, I live like 3 blocks away and still haven't gotten a ride, that's my reply there at the bottom :mad:

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Octopus Magic posted:

Because the Z06 is a dime a dozen and the ZR1 was probably one of only a handful of American cars made during a 20 year stretch worth owning?
The ZR1 will only go up in value.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

drukqs posted:

Facebook gold.

I've known this fucker since high school, I live like 3 blocks away and still haven't gotten a ride, that's my reply there at the bottom :mad:

Had the exact same experience with a buddy that had a t rex.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
It needs a head casket, you say? :ohdear:

Craigslist posted:

2001 saab - $2000 (malden)

Selling my Saab got a dent on driver side , nd most likely needs,a head casket a

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

drukqs posted:

Facebook gold.

I feel this is overpriced, but then again there are not many used atoms for sale to dictate any sort of market price.

There was a guy on another forum I'm on that wanted an absurd amount for his used atom, claiming all the modifications he did perfected the car etc. I don't think he ever sold it and his track vids were pretty entertaining.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Octopus Magic posted:

You are joking, right?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

You are joking, right?

Probably depends on what you want to do with it long term. Drive it a lot and maybe some track time? The C5Z is a better car, probably faster overall, and almost certainly cheaper to run.

Sunday driver that only gets flogged on the way to the local car show? ZR1 is going to get more attention by rarity alone.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

Tai-Pan posted:

Because the Z06 is a dime a dozen and the ZR1 was probably one of only a handful of American cars made during a 20 year stretch worth owning?
The ZR1 will only go up in value.

slidebite posted:

You are joking, right?

I guess if you want a diaper-wipe "INVESTMENT" so you can hopefully sell it to some other grey beard to park it on the grass and sit in a lawn chair, it's a nice idea. I'd rather be flogging the poo poo out of it.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Negromancer posted:

Yea, it seems like a sign to me. He emailed me back, it is def the same guy, so that is pretty much my old car with a different body. He mentioned wanting my celica alltrac, which is still in pieces in my garage. If I did do a trade, I think I could avoid my girlfriend killing me for getting another old toyota. The problem is, despite letting it sit for years, I really like my alltrac and want to get it back on the road and I know it would be hard to find another one, but with my work schedule god knows how much longer its gonna sit.

I know I'm late on replying to this, but too bad you live on the other side of country, I'm thinking about picking up another All Trac and would be selling mine. It needs a rebuild (the spare 1st gen 3sgte would go with it too), but the body is rust free.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I appreciate the condition, but really 18k? The car sold for 23.8k back in 1985.

86 Lincoln Mark VII =
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/4147003758.html

Cage fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 24, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Octopus Magic posted:

I guess if you want a diaper-wipe "INVESTMENT" so you can hopefully sell it to some other grey beard to park it on the grass and sit in a lawn chair, it's a nice idea. I'd rather be flogging the poo poo out of it.
I'm sure you would.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Probably depends on what you want to do with it long term. Drive it a lot and maybe some track time? The C5Z is a better car, probably faster overall, and almost certainly cheaper to run.
Nobody in their right mind would argue that.

quote:

Sunday driver that only gets flogged on the way to the local car show? ZR1 is going to get more attention by rarity alone.
Exactly. I don't think anyone is buying a premium, low mileage ZR1, 24 year old car as a daily flogger/track car... although if that's what a buyer would you want to do, all the power to them.

People who buy cars like that don't buy them to drive the hell out of them. They're 45+ years old and want a kick rear end Sunday driver... which is who generally a similar demographic as who bought them when they were brand new too.

If I wanted to buy a car to flog it would not be that, but I'd be lying through my teeth if I said I wouldn't want it and take it out on nice days.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I don't see the point of owning a car you don't wring the poo poo out of.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have no doubt you don't.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Cage posted:

I appreciate the condition, but really 18k? The car sold for 23.8k back in 1985.

86 Lincoln Mark VII =
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/4147003758.html

Worst model year, ugliest interior, Buffalo New York where I'm pretty sure newborn babies already have a little rust on them when they come out of postnatal care...

Where do I sign?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

spacejung posted:

Worst model year, ugliest interior, Buffalo New York where I'm pretty sure newborn babies already have a little rust on them when they come out of postnatal care...

Where do I sign?

Just out of curiosity, what's the best year?
I like the LSCs I've seen with the 16" BBS wheels. The wheels in the ad are boring and too small.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Just out of curiosity, what's the best year?
I like the LSCs I've seen with the 16" BBS wheels. The wheels in the ad are boring and too small.

1992. You'll have the BBS on there unless someone got cute, a trusty 302, the best electrical system, knock-off Ricaro seats, best chance of functioning air-ride, and as a bonus the coolest trip computer (by Lincoln standards).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

spacejung posted:

1992. You'll have the BBS on there unless someone got cute, a trusty 302, the best electrical system, knock-off Ricaro seats, best chance of functioning air-ride, and as a bonus the coolest trip computer (by Lincoln standards).

Sweet, thanks.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Octopus Magic posted:

I don't see the point of owning a car you don't wring the poo poo out of.

What an odd thing to say.
Are you saying my 1941 chevy sedan and my 88 560sl are worthless because they are not track rats?
I never tracked my '69 Porsche or my subaru station wagon when I had them either. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy driving them.

You are in need of a Karmic realignment son. Find yourself a convertible coupe de ville and seek the inner joy of the "the cruise".

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Speak of the devil.. Here is another 1990 ZR1 in Cincy.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/4149630096.html

I can't imagine how cool someone must have felt driving this thing when it was brand new.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I'm always wary about "1 of 1" cars on craigslist. Like this:

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/4149734758.html

quote:

if you like m3, 318, 325, turbo then look at this.

i have for sale a black 1984 bmw 318 is this is a 1 of 1 ever made. i have the entire turbo kit that was on the car, minus the compressor. the car was switched to n.a. but the turbo kit was saved. the story on the car is.... the owner of dinan bmw performance special ordered this car from bmw and they put on the 2002 bmw test kit on this car. the kit was not used or mass produced for the 318. i was told by the only tech that has been there since the 80's that he built this car, and he gave me this info. i will try and post pics soon, or i can send through text.
I may be interested in trades, let me know what you have....

the car does need some minor bodywork, and engine refreshed (head, and valve job), but it is a 1 of 1 ever made dinan car.

the car is a black 2 door 5 speed with a full tasteful bodykit and borbet 5 star new rims and tires.also tan leather recaro limited m power seats.

please call me with offers, or questions. may trade for old car/ratrod/hotrod/leadsled???????

p.s. no b.s. this car is what it is i have verified this through dinan, and should be able to obtain paperwork to prove it, so please don't try and send me negative e-mails, and texts. i have owned many bimmers, so i wouldn't post a b.s. ad.

p.s.s. i will entertain trade offers for other cars or trucks i do have pics i can send through text, but it is best to come see the car.
thanks

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
This looks like a terrible idea, or a ton of fun. Dangerous either way I assume.

http://huntington.craigslist.org/cto/4139854639.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Dr.Caligari posted:

This looks like a terrible idea, or a ton of fun. Dangerous either way I assume.

http://huntington.craigslist.org/cto/4139854639.html

It might be that same car or at least a similar one that was on Jalopnik a few weeks back...

http://jalopnik.com/for-6-500-embrace-your-inner-clown-1386099409

mega crack pipe loss...

WHAT THE poo poo... its up two grand now?? I'd still buy it if kkkalifornia smog nazis would ease up a bit.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Dr.Caligari posted:

Speak of the devil.. Here is another 1990 ZR1 in Cincy.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/4149630096.html

I can't imagine how cool someone must have felt driving this thing when it was brand new.

http://jalopnik.com/one-dealer-wants-you-to-pay-100-000-for-a-2014-corvett-1450691402

so in 20 years when one of these 100,000 dollar vettes hits craigslist they won't even get the markup back...

Factoring inflation in actually shows that this guy is probably a few hundred bucks off of getting his markup out... hahaha

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I really don't get how a C4 ZR1 will ever really be a desirable car, especially when you can buy so much better vettes and other cars for the same price. If we're throwing out wild guesses on what it's worth in 20 years, I'm going to say "about the same as now, at best." :speculate:

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

YF19pilot posted:

I'm always wary about "1 of 1" cars on craigslist. Like this:

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/4149734758.html

This my brother in laws old car. He was the third owner, his step dad who is a Canton cop was the second. They purchased it from the original owner with all documentation. It was fast as poo poo back in the nineties when his step dad still owned it, my brother in law kind of inherited it and by then the turbo was removed along with the gauges by some lovely local mechanic. The holes in the dash where they were mounted were still there. He had all the turbo parts in a box in the trunk. It was having a running issue so the mechanic decided removing the turbo would fix it. It did but the car was way less fun without it. He drove it a couple years until it finally started oiling the plugs every other day and he parked it. I replaced the driver rear window twice due to break ins and my brother in law once. It had standard BMW wheels on it and he is the one who put the aftermarket wheels on it. The factory, ugly, wheels were stolen from his shed by a crackhead a few months later. I put a heater core in it back in the early 00's. It was a fun car and i'd like to buy it but not $3000 buy it.

The M seats were installed in it from new, the mechanic stole the turbo that's why it isn't included. The roof basket was installed by the current owner.

EDIT - The interior used to be mint and it had that cool foam spoiler on the trunk. The paint was rough ten years ago and it had been poorly repainted in the nineties.

Toucan Sam fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 25, 2013

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
A touch of class on the budget

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1965-Jaguar-3-8-S-type-Project-W0QQAdIdZ527861978

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Larrymer posted:

I really don't get how a C4 ZR1 will ever really be a desirable car, especially when you can buy so much better vettes and other cars for the same price. If we're throwing out wild guesses on what it's worth in 20 years, I'm going to say "about the same as now, at best." :speculate:

Well, its all speculation I suppose. All vettes are collectable (well more so than say, a valiant) and this is the top of the line model with a manual transmission. They were ragingly fast for their time (fast by today's standards too), produced in limited numbers and incredibly reliable compared to their competitors.

While not as rare as GNX, it think a lot of the same ideas apply.
I cannot really think of a "better" vette you can get for the price, unless you mean newer, which totally misses the point of collector vehicle.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
This is not in the least bit suspicious, being in the Craigslist Free section.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Larrymer posted:

Why are 60s muscle cars so desirable, especially when you can buy so much better vettes and other cars for the same price?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

VideoTapir posted:

Why are 60s muscle cars so desirable, especially when you can buy so much better vettes and other cars for the same price?

Because their body styling, mostly. (also huge engines, and nostalgia) Was a mid 90's C4 a beautiful car? No.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Larrymer posted:

Because their body styling, mostly. (also huge engines, and nostalgia) Was a mid 90's C4 a beautiful car? No.

Huge engines a 350 is pretty big, and a lot of muscle cars, including a lot of overpriced show cars, only had that. You must be old if you think one can't be nostalgic for the early 90s. And as for the styling, I think you may have just :can:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Toucan Sam posted:

This my brother in laws old car. He was the third owner, his step dad who is a Canton cop was the second. They purchased it from the original owner with all documentation. It was fast as poo poo back in the nineties when his step dad still owned it, my brother in law kind of inherited it and by then the turbo was removed along with the gauges by some lovely local mechanic. The holes in the dash where they were mounted were still there. He had all the turbo parts in a box in the trunk. It was having a running issue so the mechanic decided removing the turbo would fix it. It did but the car was way less fun without it. He drove it a couple years until it finally started oiling the plugs every other day and he parked it. I replaced the driver rear window twice due to break ins and my brother in law once. It had standard BMW wheels on it and he is the one who put the aftermarket wheels on it. The factory, ugly, wheels were stolen from his shed by a crackhead a few months later. I put a heater core in it back in the early 00's. It was a fun car and i'd like to buy it but not $3000 buy it.

The M seats were installed in it from new, the mechanic stole the turbo that's why it isn't included. The roof basket was installed by the current owner.

EDIT - The interior used to be mint and it had that cool foam spoiler on the trunk. The paint was rough ten years ago and it had been poorly repainted in the nineties.

And this is what I love about SomethingAwful. If that car is what you say it is (and if I had the money for a project), it would be hard not to buy it. Thanks for sharing that. Of course right now I'm just looking for a winter beater, and it'll be a few months before I can start looking at projects.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Larrymer posted:

Shocker: The ZR1 is already desirable. Future worth? It's a complete crap shoot but so is everything else. They made enough of them that they probably won't be insane, especially with 50K+ miles, but it's a pretty safe bet that they'll hold their own.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

YF19pilot posted:

And this is what I love about SomethingAwful. If that car is what you say it is (and if I had the money for a project), it would be hard not to buy it. Thanks for sharing that. Of course right now I'm just looking for a winter beater, and it'll be a few months before I can start looking at projects.

It'll still be for sale because the price is so high and to my knowledge the engine hasn't been properly fixed since the new owner bought it. I'd go 1500 on it maybe a touch more but I'd only go that high because I know the car. Turbos are a lot easier to get now than they were when he had the car. I'd rebuild the engine and reinstall the turbo but I'd probably leave the body work alone for a while because it was so awesome to drive.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

ctishman posted:

Over 10 years old, here in Missouri I can scrap it out without title. Could get 350 for it easy.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

ctishman posted:

Someone did a F-150 to Navigator front end swap, and sold all the other useful stuff.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Possible gold? I've always toyed with the idea of owning a porsche 924s for 1200

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/4144663681.html

djdanno13 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Mighty Horse posted:

Someone did a F-150 to Navigator front end swap, and sold all the other useful stuff.

The hood and grille are sitting right there, so that's likely not it. I get why he'd be suspicious.