Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.

paint dry posted:

I still don't see what's wrong with my post.

Not liking what he likes, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

paint dry posted:

I still don't see what's wrong with my post.

No no, I just meant in response two "are you the same people", your post is perfectly fine. Wanting a sequel to have significant mechanical variation or adaption for full price is perfectly reasonable.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Sorry Paint Dry, I quoted the wrong guy, didn't mean you at all. Just these two fellas posted within a post or two of each other, and I wondered if there was some story behind it. (Your post was between them, and I misclicked like an idiot)

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

He rolled his eyes and went to bed.

He saw the video, on the internet, and rolled his eyes and went to bed.

He lay down in his bed and pulled the covers up, after he rolled his eyes.

The eye roll that took him to bed, scornful, tired, and labored at the world's efforts to entertain him.

He slumbered, eyes rolled to the back of his head. Rolling like a cyclotron, burning and whirring and chugging. He rolled his eyes, and then there was darkness. Bitter, dismissive darkness.

He rolled his eyes and went to bed. There was nothing there, after all. He had seen it, with his rolled eyes. And they rolled anew, and would roll again and keep rolling, endlessly, never resting. Never focusing. Always pointed skyward, searching, questing, longing for the answer. But never not rolling.

He rolled his eyes and went to bed.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The world being bigger and more open was a huge difference. It also affected the way you got around with the new gliding mechanics, and it completely changed how sidequests were encountered. Your entire experience between going through the core storyline events was completely different in the two games. They also added a lot of new gadgets to the mix, and a lot of new enemy types that required different ways to defeat them. It felt like Rocksteady wasn't content just resting on their laurels and releasing the same game with a new coat of paint as a sequel, and actually set out to alter pretty significant parts of the formula.

Are they the same guy? Is there some joke reason why they have the same name save for 2 digits? Is Doctor Video Games "insert number" some meme or something that I've just missed out on?

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 25, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011

Funso Banjo posted:

Are they the same guy? Is there some joke reason why they have the same name save for 2 digits? Is Doctor Video Games "insert number" some meme or something that I've just missed out on?

Name buying orgy some time back in a certain thread/subforum, I forget the exact details. They are different people and there used to be way more than the four or five still rolling around.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Funso Banjo posted:

Sorry Paint Dry, I quoted the wrong guy, didn't mean you at all.

It's from YCS, I think. A bunch of posters were given names like that because they posted in a name change thread.

Edit: ^^^^^ yeah

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've only played a little bit so far (got to the bit with the Christmas Tree seen in the trailer) but so far I'm having a blast and I absolutely love how poo poo-scared everybody is of Batman - not really believing he exists, freaking out just at his appearance etc. It feels great to be moving through Gotham proper too, and seeing characters before they became established.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I've a quick question about Arkham City. I'm playing through it now and my current objective is to locate Ra's al Ghul and get a sample of his blood. Following the signal I've somehow found myself in the sewers underneath the restricted area en route to Wonder Tower, it seems, and suddenly I'm fighting Joker's goons who have captured some medical intern. Am I going in the right direction? It kinda feels like I'm not supposed to be down here yet.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Glare Seethe posted:

I've a quick question about Arkham City. I'm playing through it now and my current objective is to locate Ra's al Ghul and get a sample of his blood. Following the signal I've somehow found myself in the sewers underneath the restricted area en route to Wonder Tower, it seems, and suddenly I'm fighting Joker's goons who have captured some medical intern. Am I going in the right direction? It kinda feels like I'm not supposed to be down here yet.

Yeah, keep going.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Glare Seethe posted:

It's been a while but I'm fairly certain you are heading in the right direction.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Not sure how spoiler-y this is, but it's game-breaking until it gets patched, so I feel I need to warn people.

DO NOT TRY TO SOLVE THE TOWER PUZZLE IN BURNLEY.

You will be trapped because there's a glitch in it right now that means you can't complete the puzzle.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
All right, I'll keep going. Thank you!

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Eagerly waiting for the mail before the weekend holdup and all I've gotten so far was a phonebill, that is Joker-levels of evil :smith:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

Not sure how spoiler-y this is, but it's game-breaking until it gets patched, so I feel I need to warn people.

You will be trapped because there's a glitch in it right now that means you can't complete the puzzle.

Out of curiosity, isn't this a large problem? So far I haven't been able to get into any of the towers until the plot demands it.

Or are only the plot important towers locked, and the rest open whenever?

e: For those encountering odd gameplay bugs outside of that, have you verified your files? If you unpacked through a VPN, there's a good chance some files might have been unpacked incorrectly. My AV also flagged a few files from the game as it was unpacking, so if you have a lovely AV, it might have just autovaulted them without telling you. Verifying the game this morning had it redownloading 17 files, which fixed a few of the bugs I had the first time around.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 25, 2013

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

VogeGandire posted:

I really hope they fix this soon, my bat-OCD is going nuts already.

Just got out of the sewers, and the game has been really solid so far.
Gamespot's review left me kind of bummed, 'cause I feel like this game is gonna get much more flak than it actually deserves simply because Rocksteady isn't at the helm.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
I'll try again, can anyone tell me where to go after solving the second murder case, the one where you pick up a breifcase at the end. I have no main quest waypoint just a 'Find the Black Mask' objective.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Rookersh posted:

Out of curiosity, isn't this a large problem? So far I haven't been able to get into any of the towers until the plot demands it.

Or are only the plot important towers locked, and the rest open whenever?

e: For those encountering odd gameplay bugs outside of that, have you verified your files? If you unpacked through a VPN, there's a good chance some files might have been unpacked incorrectly. My AV also flagged a few files from the game as it was unpacking, so if you have a lovely AV, it might have just autovaulted them without telling you. Verifying the game this morning had it redownloading 17 files, which fixed a few of the bugs I had the first time around.

You can get INTO the Burnley tower (at least at the point of the story I'm at) but you have to climb through a vent during the puzzle, but you have to grapnel up to it. When you do, you can only hang from the vent, not actually climb into it, and when you started the puzzle, the entrance you used to get in locks behind you. So you get trapped inside and the only way out is to load an earlier checkpoint.

One negative point I've found: Gliding feels...off. I dunno what's changed between AC and now, but I much preferred AC's gliding. Plus the no-fly areas seem much more abundant and obtrusive. More than once I've been gliding to an objective and I've just...run out of places I can grapnel.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 25, 2013

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Brumaldo posted:

Gamespot's review left me kind of bummed, 'cause I feel like this game is gonna get much more flak than it actually deserves simply because Rocksteady isn't at the helm.

That doesn't seem to be what's going on at all. Or, at least, I think that the new developer played things relatively safe (probably out of necessity) and the result might draw perfectly fair criticism for not being as inspired as the first two games.

I also disagree with the earlier opinion that the Gamespot review was poorly written. She clearly communicated her experience with the game, why it worked for her and why it didn't. It's just as valid to expect a spark of creativity as it is to be happy with more of the same of a good thing.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with the tower in Burnley problem. Out of curiosity, those who have problems with it: What platform are you playing the game on? Mine's PC.

I looked up a video on youtube of it and saw they didn't have the same problem, so I presume it may work on the consoles.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

PC too. So yeah, might be a PC-only problem.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I only played the game for 5 minutes last night before going to bed and got past the first group fight sequence.

It's probably been picked up but one thing I noticed was that the way they end the fights has changed (unless i've misremembered or something).

Basically, in AA and AC, after you get into the swing of things and beat the poo poo out of a bunch of guys i noticed that once you'd reduced the mob to one, a single standard attack, at the end of a long combo, was all that it took to finish off the last thug (unless they were a special type). It happened with such regularity in every fight that i was convinced there was some kind of modification to the last guys health to make sure this always happened.

Last night i got into the first fight and knocked the guys about with a combo but when it came down to the last guy, i punched him and he just fell on the floor, dazed instead of finished off. I had to activate a ground takedown to finish him off with the slow-mo action before the combo was going to break and he was going to get back up.

Like i said, i could be misremembering or was too tired, but it didn't "feel" right.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

PC version doesn't seem that great this time, unfortunately. The UI is really bothersome to navigate with a mouse and keyboard for one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kin posted:

I only played the game for 5 minutes last night before going to bed and got past the first group fight sequence.

It's probably been picked up but one thing I noticed was that the way they end the fights has changed (unless i've misremembered or something).

Basically, in AA and AC, after you get into the swing of things and beat the poo poo out of a bunch of guys i noticed that once you'd reduced the mob to one, a single standard attack, at the end of a long combo, was all that it took to finish off the last thug (unless they were a special type). It happened with such regularity in every fight that i was convinced there was some kind of modification to the last guys health to make sure this always happened.

Last night i got into the first fight and knocked the guys about with a combo but when it came down to the last guy, i punched him and he just fell on the floor, dazed instead of finished off. I had to activate a ground takedown to finish him off with the slow-mo action before the combo was going to break and he was going to get back up.

Like i said, i could be misremembering or was too tired, but it didn't "feel" right.

You are misremembering in this case. I went out of my way to leave a single guy in City in order to finish him off in unique ways and in challenge mode in both Arkham and City if was often useful to leave a single guy left so you could get him into a ground pound for the variation bonus without getting punched. Especially in Arkham Asylum the key to high scores was to use a Ground Pound at the end of a long combo for the maximum modifier.

A long freeflower combo (especially with criticals) is more likely to leave you with a huge damage multiplier that wrecks a dude in one hit but it isn't assured, especially on harder difficulties.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 25, 2013

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Kin posted:

You're probably misremembering, all it takes is one hit in freeflow to finish off the last guy standing, just like the other games.

Brumaldo fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 25, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've had a glitch so far while fighting Killer Croc where if he got near the fence while I was near them then the game would lose sound and then proceed to crash. This is already off to an absolutely wonderful start. Also, did the 360 controls of the previous games have the gadgets mapped to the left trigger, because it feels very awkward to use L2 to use gadgets on my PS3 controller with Motioninjoy.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I've got the same bug with the vent in the tower. Reloaded the checkpoint three times now, it's just completely broken. This is fun...

GuyCastle
Jun 24, 2000

VogeGandire posted:

You can get INTO the Burnley tower (at least at the point of the story I'm at) but you have to climb through a vent during the puzzle, but you have to grapnel up to it. When you do, you can only hang from the vent, not actually climb into it, and when you started the puzzle, the entrance you used to get in locks behind you. So you get trapped inside and the only way out is to load an earlier checkpoint.

Or you could do it like I did the first time around. I didn't realise you could zipline through the window, so I dropped down on the parapet outside and used the analyzer to hack the panel from there. Queue the bars dropping over the window and me wondering why that didn't seem to clear the tower :downs:

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
Didn't have very high expectations for this being not from the same developers and all but daaaaamn it is good and I'm an idiot for ever worrying. It's more of the same really and I mean that in the best possible way because I absolutely loved the previous Arkham games. Currently getting my rear end handed to me by Deathstroke but I think I'm too tired to concentrate on countering properly so I'll be sensible and go to bed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doctor Albatross posted:

I've got the same bug with the vent in the tower. Reloaded the checkpoint three times now, it's just completely broken. This is fun...

PC version out of curiosity?

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

Yep. Looking on the Steam forums, looks like this is a common bug.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doctor Albatross posted:

Sounds like it. I haven't seen it reported on consoles at all but it sounds like the PC port's shoddy. :smith:

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

Disappointing; because outside of the bugs, it's well-optimized and looks great...

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Anyone have impressions on Blackgate? I'm waiting to see if it's worth it on the Vita.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Any of you guys want to go try something? Few people on the Steam forums are saying they managed to get past the glitch by holding down crouch/forward while using the batclaw/at the vent. At least thats what I think they are saying, it's hard to tell with the Steam forums.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Batman has a 'Walk the Dinosaur' button now. Right click(Default controls) while no one is around.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Hakkesshu posted:

PC version doesn't seem that great this time, unfortunately. The UI is really bothersome to navigate with a mouse and keyboard for one.

I've always appreciated the series for putting more effort into the PC versions than your average console port, so this is super disappointing to hear.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Doctor Albatross posted:

Yep, I just hit it too.

Second game I've ever had to wait for a patch to complete :v: (the first being FO:NV)

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

IchGestalt posted:

Batman has a 'Walk the Dinosaur' button now. Right click(Default controls) while no one is around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx5MB-FvpDA

He's always had that.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Good to know they made sure to include the most important feature in the game then.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

miscellaneous14 posted:

I've always appreciated the series for putting more effort into the PC versions than your average console port, so this is super disappointing to hear.

It's not that bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

miscellaneous14 posted:

Apart from the bugs mentioned in the thread already, PC version is still cool. I'd recommend a controller though, as these games always feel much better with one.

• Locked thread