Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Misfits thread is up:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3576694

Yes, I know it's not amazing, but I don't think that many people are still watching. I'm liking it as much as ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Tupping Liberty posted:

I like @Midnight, I hope the entire cast of Burning Love cycles through. June Diane Raphael :allears:

It's really quite a great idea for a show. Bring the funny fast, minimal filler, and add some minor game show elements. (My only gripe is the inevitable editing that interrupts my math flow. WHERE DID THAT 100 POINTS COME FROM???? :argh:)

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I've been liking @Midnight so far too, but has anybody noticed how the points seem to skip around? In the 2nd episode I swear Jon Daly went from 600 to 1100 then down to 100 and all the way back up to 1100 over the course of like 2 questions. Not that anybody really gives a poo poo about the points. Glad to see a bunch of Comedy Bang Bang guests on so far. I want James Adomian to do the show as Tom Lykis god damnit!

edit:
^woops didn't bother reading your entire post. Apparently I'm not the only person who noticed that!

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I guess I haven't been paying attention to the points after watching Whose Line for so long.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Inspector 34 posted:

I've been liking @Midnight so far too, but has anybody noticed how the points seem to skip around? In the 2nd episode I swear Jon Daly went from 600 to 1100 then down to 100 and all the way back up to 1100 over the course of like 2 questions. Not that anybody really gives a poo poo about the points. Glad to see a bunch of Comedy Bang Bang guests on so far. I want James Adomian to do the show as Tom Lykis god damnit!

I noticed that too; my best guess is that there's so much riffing between Hardwick and the panel / contestants that they have to edit out material that doesn't affect the final outcome.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Inspector 34 posted:

Glad to see a bunch of Comedy Bang Bang guests on so far. I want James Adomian to do the show as Tom Lykis god damnit!

If Adomian does a show in character it has to be as Jesse Ventura.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Tupping Liberty posted:

I guess I haven't been paying attention to the points after watching Whose Line for so long.

If they didn't have the scores on the podium, it wouldn't bother me. Not that it bothers me enough to stop watching, I'm just a scorekeeper at heart. (If player X needs five questions to win Wait, Wait, then I'm there counting the correct answers on my hands as I listen. It's a sickness, really.)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

When it premiered, I watched the first couple episodes of Nikita but stopped after a little while. Since then, I've been catching up by watching the last 2 episodes of season 1, then the first two and last two episodes of season 2, and I plan to watch all of season 3 (unless you guys think it's a waste of time).

Surprisingly, the show is not terrible.

Next thing you know I'll do some ridiculous like watching the first season of Arrow. :v:

edit: I wish they didn't put so much makeup on Lyndsy Fonseca.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 25, 2013

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I don't see why you wouldn't just go and watch seasons 1 and 2 if you like the show. They're pretty good and a lot of fun, with a pretty ridiculous pace (especially season 1) that should keep you entertained/interested enough to push through them. I personally stopped watching at the beginning of season 3 because things slowed down a lot and the show seemed to be spinning its wheels while they set everything up, but who knows it could've gotten right back on track. Like I said though I dunno why you wouldn't just watch the whole series, unless you live some crazy, active lifestyle and are trying to catch up by the time season 4 starts in a month.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Tupping Liberty posted:

I like @Midnight, I hope the entire cast of Burning Love cycles through. June Diane Raphael :allears:

I just watched some of this on Comedy Central's website. It's pretty drat funny, they've had some good guests so far, and Hardwick is a great host. Everything about how they set the show up works really well and I'm hoping it catches on.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

VDay posted:

I don't see why you wouldn't just go and watch seasons 1 and 2 if you like the show. They're pretty good and a lot of fun, with a pretty ridiculous pace (especially season 1) that should keep you entertained/interested enough to push through them. I personally stopped watching at the beginning of season 3 because things slowed down a lot and the show seemed to be spinning its wheels while they set everything up, but who knows it could've gotten right back on track. Like I said though I dunno why you wouldn't just watch the whole series, unless you live some crazy, active lifestyle and are trying to catch up by the time season 4 starts in a month.
It's not so much that I like the show, but it's not terrible to watch.

In any case, the TV.com ratings are higher for season 1 and 2 vs 3 so I'll be watching them, and thanks for the rec.

Is Arrow basically like a male version of Nikita?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 25, 2013

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Josh Lyman posted:

Is Arrow basically like a male version of Nikita?

Basically but with a much deeper background to work from. And last episode would have Nikita writers go 'that's crazy !'.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

When it premiered, I watched the first couple episodes of Nikita but stopped after a little while. Since then, I've been catching up by watching the last 2 episodes of season 1, then the first two and last two episodes of season 2, and I plan to watch all of season 3 (unless you guys think it's a waste of time).

I'd say you are safe to stop at the end of season 2. Wraps up everything nicely except for one plot point. Season 3 starts off slow with a bunch MotW type episodes and honestly the overarching plot isn't as good.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

Somehow, I don't think the American TV viewing public has a tolerance for Octavia Spencer in a leading role.

They probably don't. She was on Mom this week and when I first saw her I thought she looked like a pug dog in a dress, so I can only imagine how America-at-large will react to her. Has she done any good movies or tv shows before? Not that it matters (see: Rebel Wilson), but I'm still puzzled as to why they're considering her for the lead of a network procedural. You'd think they'd find an actress with a little more gravitas, like Betty Buckley, Diana Rigg or Angela Bassett.

VVV Well, gently caress me. VVV

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 25, 2013

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

They probably don't. She was on Mom this week and when I first saw her I thought she looked like a pug dog in a dress, so I can only imagine how America-at-large will react to her. Has she done any good movies or tv shows before? Not that it matters (see: Rebel Wilson), but I'm still puzzled as to why they're considering her for the lead of a network procedural. You'd think they'd find an actress with a little more gravitas, like Betty Buckley, Diana Rigg or Angela Bassett.

Uh she's won an Oscar?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Irish Joe posted:

She was on Mom this week and when I first saw her I thought she looked like a pug dog in a dress

:psyduck:

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Holy poo poo, last night's @Midnight.

I feel bad for laughing so hard.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Irish Joe posted:

They probably don't. She was on Mom this week and when I first saw her I thought she looked like a pug dog in a dress

Hey yo joe I usually spend my time defending you from people who bandwagon about how terrible of a poster you are since posts about your being a terrible poster are terrible posts in and of themselves but this comment was definitely sexist and kinda racist

ufarn
May 30, 2009

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Holy poo poo, last night's @Midnight.

I feel bad for laughing so hard.
What happened?

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

ufarn posted:

What happened?

This happened:

http://www.comedycentral.com/video-clips/8h5juw/-midnight-live-challenge---black-facebook

And then this happened:

http://www.comedycentral.com/video-clips/x5a3qv/-midnight-cringe-worthy---discreet-orphan-rentals

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Occupation posted:

but this comment was definitely sexist and kinda racist

It wasn't meant to be either, but it was meant to be harsh (which is why it sounds something-"ist") because I was expressing a gut reaction to seeing someone who's not 'Hollywood beautiful' on television. I'm willing to give Octavia a chance insofar that I have no interest in Murder, She Wrote and will never, ever watch it. That being said, I was genuinely mistaken about her credentials and thought her career consisted of bit parts in movies and tv because that's where I'm used to seeing her. Had I known about her Oscar and The Help, I probably would have been much more generous.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 25, 2013

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Occupation posted:

this comment was definitely sexist and kinda racist

How is it either of those things instead of just being a lovely thing to say in general?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

thexerox123 posted:

How is it either of those things instead of just being a lovely thing to say in general?

Canine comparisons are common insults to both women (bitches) and blacks (junkyard dogs). It's also a lovely thing to say in general but the terms are charged

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
What he said was not racist at all. And if you think it was then it's your own thoughts colouring his words.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Given the extensive history of comparing black people to dogs being a way of degrading them... Yeah, it was fairly racist.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

What he said was not racist at all. And if you think it was then it's your own thoughts colouring his words.

Racial =/= Racist

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Occupation posted:

since posts about your being a terrible poster are terrible posts in and of themselves

You know what's even worse than that? All these posts.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pinwiz11 posted:

It's really quite a great idea for a show. Bring the funny fast, minimal filler, and add some minor game show elements. (My only gripe is the inevitable editing that interrupts my math flow. WHERE DID THAT 100 POINTS COME FROM???? :argh:)

Wasn't there a show on IFC with I think Kurt Bruanholder (sp?) that was basically that? How's that going?

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

zoux posted:

You know what's even worse than that? All these posts.

"Guys please don't call out racism, I don't like reading about it."

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

BrooklynBruiser posted:

"Guys please don't call out racism, I don't like reading about it."

Maybe it's a cultural thing distinct to America, and Irish Joe is actually spending his Wednesday nights wearing a pillowcase, but using dogs to describe black people really isn't a thing where I'm from.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 25, 2013

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The bigger problem is that GBS is stealing our threads http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3576734
:mad:

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Maybe it's a cultural thing distinct to America, and Irish Joe is actually spending his Wednesday nights wearing a pillowcase, but using dogs to describe black people really isn't a thing where I'm from.

It's very much a thing in the USA.

And, just a tip for the future, but perhaps try to not comment on things you aren't familiar with?

BrooklynBruiser fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 25, 2013

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

BrooklynBruiser posted:

It's very much a thing in the USA.

And, just a tip for the future, but perhaps try to not comment on things you aren't familiar with?

Or maybe you could try to recognize that there are people from places aside from the US in this thread? For gently caress's sakes. Do you know for a fact that Irish Joe is from the US, even?

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 25, 2013

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

Or maybe you could try to recognize that there are people from places aside from the US in this thread? For gently caress's sakes. Do you know for a fact that Irish Joe is from the US, even?

Since when do you have to be from the US to judge whether or not something is racist?

When talking about an American actress, in an American show, on an American network, it's probably a good idea to have some idea of how comments might be viewed by Americans.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm from the US, but I'm never heard of the black/dog thing outside of Jim Croce songs and never as racial epitaph. Its probably regional.

Occupation posted:

Canine comparisons are common insults to both women (bitches) and blacks (junkyard dogs).

A junkyard pug would be the cutest thing in the world.

(you're really stretching here)

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

I'm from the US, but I'm never heard of the black/dog thing outside of Jim Croce songs and never as racial epitaph. Its probably regional.

A junkyard pug would be the cutest thing in the world.

(you're really stretching here)

Do you not see how dehumanizing people by making them sound bestial is a really, really common thing that racists do?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

BrooklynBruiser posted:

When talking about an American actress, in an American show, on an American network, it's probably a good idea to have some idea of how comments might be viewed by Americans.

That may be true for the original poster of the comment, but really, people with other viewpoints shouldn't even comment on it? Rapey Joe Stalin even qualified the statement to account for the fact that it could be a US-centric thing that he wasn't aware of.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
I don't see any qualifications in this:

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

He said that it wasn't racist and Occupation was racist for seeing racism in it, speaking unambiguously and without qualification.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I didn't say any such thing. I said that perhaps Occupation was seeing things because he wanted to see them. Perhaps if you're so desperate to take a moral highground that you are making poo poo up you should sit the gently caress down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Racism is like pronunciation: never say someone is wrong about it because somewhere it probably actually is.

Usually New Zealand.

• Locked thread