Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Keeku posted:

Ever since I saw a 17 minute preview walkthrough of Arkham Origins I have wanted to do this:

"I won't stand a chance against that many armed men".
Challenge accepted.
http://imgur.com/Mkoh2fq (linked in case considered spoiler)

I have been waiting to see if this was possible. I am so glad it is. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Rookersh posted:

Any of you guys want to go try something? Few people on the Steam forums are saying they managed to get past the glitch by holding down crouch/forward while using the batclaw/at the vent. At least thats what I think they are saying, it's hard to tell with the Steam forums.

Didn't work.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3
Anybody figure out how to do critical strikes? It talks about enabling a hint helper but I'm not finding anything.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

seal it with a kiss posted:

Anybody figure out how to do critical strikes? It talks about enabling a hint helper but I'm not finding anything.
Did they change it from the previous iterations? In case you didn't play or remember from then: make sure to get into the flow and don't push twice when you intend to just do one just one move. If you find the timing right everything should be Critical Strikes. It's essentially just rewarding you for keeping your cool in a fight and not frantically bashing. I think there was even a special sound when you got a crit, but it wasn't a required combo or move or anything like that.

Full disclosure: I haven't played Origins yet so I'm sorry if they completely changed it and I'm talking out of my rear end.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

seal it with a kiss posted:

I think it's the same as the last games. Press the attack button JUST as your previous attack connects. It takes a fair bit of timing and practice.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I played a little bit last night since it came out at stupid midnight, and am having a blast so far. Fighting seems somehow more intense and quicker? Countering seems like there's definitely less time to hit that button, but I got into the rhythm pretty quickly. I'm only running a plucky GTX 260 at home, but the game is still running like melted butter.

Alfred's textures always seem like they haven't loaded all the way--he looks like a rough draft. :/

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Anyone else run into the glitch with the Industrial District Comm Tower in origins where you smash the thing but the gate doesn't unelectrify? I've tried quitting and reloading but it just doesn't work. YT footage has confirmed it's meant to turn off. Pretty annoyed.

Zsinjeh posted:

Did they change it from the previous iterations? In case you didn't play or remember from then: make sure to get into the flow and don't push twice when you intend to just do one just one move. If you find the timing right everything should be Critical Strikes. It's essentially just rewarding you for keeping your cool in a fight and not frantically bashing. I think there was even a special sound when you got a crit, but it wasn't a required combo or move or anything like that.

Full disclosure: I haven't played Origins yet so I'm sorry if they completely changed it and I'm talking out of my rear end.

It seems it's an upgrade but I don't see it in the upgrade lists. Could be it's one of the ones that is story related?

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
The Steam store page says the game takes 20GB disk space, yet upon download I'm told 26GB space is needed while the download package is only 16GB.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

PoshAlligator posted:

Anyone else run into the glitch with the Industrial District Comm Tower in origins where you smash the thing but the gate doesn't unelectrify? I've tried quitting and reloading but it just doesn't work. YT footage has confirmed it's meant to turn off. Pretty annoyed.

Did you smash both consoles? The other is a little hidden.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Deleuzionist posted:

The Steam store page says the game takes 20GB disk space, yet upon download I'm told 26GB space is needed while the download package is only 16GB.

I'm guessing, but i have no clue tbh, 16 gig to download, 26 free space required during install, unpacked files and everything, 20 upon installation?

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

Zsinjeh posted:

Nah I was bad at it in the previous versions too. Thanks. Thanks to VogeGandire too.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Veotax posted:

Did you smash both consoles? The other is a little hidden.

I'm dumb!

Reading about the other bug made me paranoid I guess.

I think this game is real neat.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I wish I wasn't so clued up, because the Harley Quinn reveal would have BLOWN MY MIND if I didn't guess it as soon as I saw her.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

If I pick this up at a Walmart or whatever, is there a chance I'll get the Deathstroke DLC without getting a preorder copy?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

ThermoPhysical posted:

If I pick this up at a Walmart or whatever, is there a chance I'll get the Deathstroke DLC without getting a preorder copy?
If they bought in more pre-order copies then were ordered then maybe yeah. My pre-ordered came with a sticky on the plastic saying it contained the Deathstroke DLC, so look around if the same are on packs in the store.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Some of these reviews are major bummers. I bought the game anyways. :getin:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

ethanol posted:

Some of these reviews are major bummers. I bought the game anyways. :getin:

Not everybody's gonna like the same thing, to be fair. I've ended up absolutely loving some terrible games, and hating some hugely praised ones. In the end, it's just a suggestion, you're the only one who can really judge whether you like something or not.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Zsinjeh posted:

If they bought in more pre-order copies then were ordered then maybe yeah. My pre-ordered came with a sticky on the plastic saying it contained the Deathstroke DLC, so look around if the same are on packs in the store.

Amazon has already decided to start the shipping process so never mind. :v: Thanks for the info though! I picked up GTA V without preordering a week after it launched from Radio Shack...it was the preorder version with no indication that it was. Figured I got lucky.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Crappy Jack posted:

Not everybody's gonna like the same thing, to be fair. I've ended up absolutely loving some terrible games, and hating some hugely praised ones. In the end, it's just a suggestion, you're the only one who can really judge whether you like something or not.

And with this game its even more subjective because some people are openly stating that they really just want a clone of AC with a new story(honestly I may be in this camp). There aren't many franchises that could potentially get away with something like that, its why every time a new COD comes out there is a war over whether its the best ever or a pile of poo poo.

I guess for me I spend a lot of money on games and a decent amount of it ends up going to waste. When theres a formula I know for a fact I like I'd prefer to ride that out until I get sick of it. But obviously developers can't think like that because everybody will experience burnout at a different rate.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 25, 2013

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man, I was totally having fun with this game but now the reviews are coming in and I can't believe that I was playing a completely identical Arkham City clone this whole time. gently caress this poo poo game.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The way I like to think of it is that this is like an episode of Batman the Animated Series where it's set in the same city, same gadgets, same main character, same animation, different writers, different plot, different enemies, and set in the past. :3:

Maybe a flashback episode or a Scarecrow-induced thing like with Batgirl in "Over the Edge".

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Man, I was totally having fun with this game but now the reviews are coming in and I can't believe that I was playing a completely identical Arkham City clone this whole time. gently caress this poo poo game.

I was really enjoying this album but then Pitchfork only gave it a 6.3. Can you believe it? A 6.3.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

How's the difficulty? The first two were a waste of time on anything but Hard. Should I just start on Hard like the others?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Here is my totally unbiased review.

Did you like Asylum more then City? You'll like Origins, and view it as a good game.

Did you like City more then Asylum? You'll like Origins, but view it as more of the same.

Are you a games journalist? You'll like Origins, but will point out that it's kind of becoming rote at this point, because that's your job, and it kind of is.

Made it nice and easy for people to figure out if they should get Origins.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How's the difficulty? The first two were a waste of time on anything but Hard. Should I just start on Hard like the others?

It's a bit harder than City, since you can't instantly cancel from an attack to a counter, and the enemy groups can be massive in this. I've dropped in on fights that had to have twenty mobsters in them, it was awesome. I'm on Normal and I really have to use gadgets a lot in fights to avoid getting surrounded.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rookersh posted:

Did you like Asylum more then City? You'll like Origins, and view it as a good game.
Wait, how is it more like Asylum than City? No one else has said that yet, I think.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I also play on normal even though I 100% Asylum some time ago. Origins is pretty challenging, I must say. This is mainly due to the changed timings of the fighting system. Boss fights are harder apart from one encounter which is also the best one in the game.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah I put this game on hard mode and I really like how Batman starts off slow. His counters are not as fast, and it takes a bit more longer to get into free flow. I mean once you get into free flow it's a bit easier but yeah this game really loves throw huge number of mobs on your rear end. Granted it took some time getting used to because I died at least 5 times to the first boss because it took a bit to realize that while the combat feels the same, Batman's response isn't as quick like the other games. (I mean obvious intentional design)

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Lord is this game fun. It's exactly what I wanted City to be. It's so much fun to play as young Batman, because he's just this gloriously dickish rear end in a top hat. Interrogation scenes where, in the earlier games, he would have just intimidated the thug by choke slamming them into the wall a couple times while grumbling at them =, here play out with him beating the dude unconscious, then waking him up by dangling him off the side of a building and slamming his face a couple times into a giant clock, followed by tossing him into a Christmas tree a couple hundred feet below when he's got what he wants. He's such a prick and it's hilarious.

I wonder if older thugs who had to deal with older Batman ever give younger thugs poo poo about how they don't know how easy they have it.

"So Batman broke your nose? Boo hoo. Back in the day we had it really rough. Bats ran me over with the Batmobile one time, because he thought he saw me smoking a Cuban cigar. It wasn't even Cuban! And he didn't even apologized! Dude just flipped me off, put on REO Speedwagon and drove away."

"That's nothin'! One time Batman pulled out all my fingernails while interrogating me! It wasn't even because I was committing a crime! He just wanted to figure out what to get Catwoman for her birthday!"

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Also, I just confirmed that you do still get the Deathstroke preorder bonus if you got the game with an Nvidia card earlier in the year.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Deathstroke seems to come with everything. It's not much of a preorder bonus.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It also looks like he comes with two extra costumes, which is great news for Barbie dress-up costume hoarders like myself.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
So, about the first Electrocutioner fight. I immediately did a cape stun and punched him once and it was over in under 10 seconds. Did I glitch something, or was it supposed to take you a while to figure that out?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

So, about the first Electrocutioner fight. I immediately did a cape stun and punched him once and it was over in under 10 seconds. Did I glitch something, or was it supposed to take you a while to figure that out?

Man, I wish I had remembered the cape stun. I was stuck on that fight forever. :smith:

e: Spoilered for courtesy. :)

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 25, 2013

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

DrNutt posted:

Man, I wish I had remembered the cape stun. I was stuck on that fight forever. :smith:

I hope they fix that poo poo in a patch. Really left a sour taste in my mouth just getting started with the game and then getting stuck for so long on that fight. By the time it was done, I was so ready for it to be over already.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

DrNutt posted:

Ok, that's actually kind of hilarious then. I just thought "Electric fists, I should stun him first" and BAM, it's over in one hit. Also might want to spoil that since it kind of ruins the fight to know the strategy ahead of time.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Honestly, I dunno if I'm near the end of the game. I mean, the way the story is going, I think I am, but I've not even SEEN Deadshot or Shiva yet. I've got rid of Firefly, and just resuscitated Alfred using Electrocutioner's gloves :swoon:

The Remote Claw makes the best noise ever, by the way.

"Phump-fssss-phump."

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 25, 2013

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

DrNutt posted:

It also looks like he comes with two extra costumes, which is great news for Barbie dress-up costume hoarders like myself.

One costume is Judas Contract Deathstroke, AKA The Real Deathstroke in all his bright, cheesy early-80's glory.

The other is Injustice Deathstroke, which is kinda meh. :shrug:

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

When do you get Disarm & Destroy?
I just got rid of Copperhead and I'm still missing my delicious variety bonus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, I've been hearing that this game is sort of more of the same with regards to City - are there any steps back in here, or is it more refined? (Or neither, I suppose) That includes story, though don't spoil me when you answer. If the game's as good or better than City, that won't be much of a problem for me.

• Locked thread