Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
Apple loves their magical new-age technology.

The Thunderbolt standard is unused by 99% of manufactures?

:getin:

and 2 usb ports :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ohhhh poo poo.

T440s
Graphite Black
20AQ 20AQ005SUS 20AQ005SCA
$1,349
14.0" FHD LED
Intel Core i5-4300U
4GB
Intel HD Graphics
500GB / 7200RPM + 16GB M2
No Optical
Yes
Yes
Yes
Intel 7260 ACABGN + BT
WWAN Capable
Backlit Keyboard
3 Cell + 3 Cell
W7P64 preload w/ W8P64 Licence
3 yr Depot

I think the FHD LED sold me. Price is pretty reasonable too. Hopefully that's actually the price I can get it for. YES/YES/YES is for webcam/bluetooth/fingerprint reader. I'm bouncing back and forth between what laptop I actually want but this one looks really solid.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 25, 2013

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
For a while there were some lies that the T440p would be 4.0 lbs but I guess it turns out it's 4.7.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
gently caress, I wish they could get at least like.. the 750m in that T440p. There's always god damned something. Also I'm pretty sure I'd end up loathing the lack of dedicated trackpoint buttons. :|

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
Is there a way to find out or does anyone know the manufacturer of the 512gb mSATA SSD in the top-range model of the new Dell XPS 15?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

voltron posted:

Is there a way to find out or does anyone know the manufacturer of the 512gb mSATA SSD in the top-range model of the new Dell XPS 15?

Samsung 841 is my best guess.

68Bird
Sep 2, 2004

voltron posted:

So I chatted with a couple Dell reps about the new XPS 15... Notebookcheck forums had some posts about people getting insane prices. No clue how they got there. Some even said they were able to get the 5% dell gift card applied to the current purchase! I had no such luck.

The best price (not including tax) I could get via online chat for the:
midrange unit was $1,702.99
toprange unit was $2,023.19

Thoughts?

What are you doing to get those prices? Ugh, I hope Anandtech got an early review sample, because I'd be a buyer at 2k out the door as long as there's no funny business with the screen in regards to color.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Martytoof posted:

Ohhhh poo poo.

T440s
Whaaaaat? Where are you seeing it available for sale? Lenovo's site still shows it as "Coming Soon."

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Martytoof posted:

Ohhhh poo poo.
Intel Core i5-4300U

That CPU might as well be the i7-4500U. They're clocked so similarly I wonder why they even branded that one an i5 at all.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Martytoof posted:

Ohhhh poo poo.

T440s
Graphite Black
20AQ 20AQ005SUS 20AQ005SCA
$1,349
14.0" FHD LED
Intel Core i5-4300U
4GB
Intel HD Graphics
500GB / 7200RPM + 16GB M2
No Optical
Yes
Yes
Yes
Intel 7260 ACABGN + BT
WWAN Capable
Backlit Keyboard
3 Cell + 3 Cell
W7P64 preload w/ W8P64 Licence
3 yr Depot

I think the FHD LED sold me. Price is pretty reasonable too. Hopefully that's actually the price I can get it for. YES/YES/YES is for webcam/bluetooth/fingerprint reader. I'm bouncing back and forth between what laptop I actually want but this one looks really solid.

Seeing as some random rear end site is selling it for $1200 that price appears to be MSRP (meaning take 10% off)

http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/Lenovo_ThinkPad_T440s_20AQ/20AQ005SUS/12018996/

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

Bob Morales posted:

Samsung 841 is my best guess.

Notebookreview forums agree either PM841 or PM851.

68Bird posted:

What are you doing to get those prices? Ugh, I hope Anandtech got an early review sample, because I'd be a buyer at 2k out the door as long as there's no funny business with the screen in regards to color.

In the chat with the sales rep, I just keep asking if they can go lower. They offer the 0% financing and I respond no thank you, the end price I pay is the same and it's just a little beyond my budget, and then they knock off another $30 here and there. I also have 4% employee purchase discount. I also found a 15% coupon for $10 on eBay that I seem to be able to use if I do use financing (no prepayment penalty). If I can get the midrange model for $1450 + TAX out the door, I'll be stoked (hopefully I can offload the 5% Dell giftcard too!).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So did the venerable B&N link in the OP finally die?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Works for me.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
It occasionally acts up, and gives you an "invalid identifier" page or some-such. Maybe a bad cookie or something, because it eventually shows back up just fine.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Aren't the MBA and mbpr 13s just $100 apart?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

VulgarandStupid posted:

Aren't the MBA and mbpr 13s just $100 apart?

$200 - $1299 vs $1099

You can pick a smaller machine with 3 more hours of battery life, or a slighty thicker/heavier one with HDMI output, an extra TB port, and Retina screen

The 4GB Retina is lacking in the RAM department. Mine booted up using 1.8GB of RAM (loving integrated graphics)

SMP
May 5, 2009

My mom's laptop finally broke and I need to help find her a new one. Problem is, its been so long since I've shopped for a laptop I don't really know whats good anymore. Could I get some recommendations? She has some odd stipulations that aren't really hardware spec related.

- Not a lovely laptop
- Her eyesight with screens isn't that great. 1366x768 resolution is needed and the bigger the screen the better.
- A screen with great viewing angles.
- DVD tray
- USB ports not on the bottom right side where the mouse goes.
- IDEALLY no number pad on the right side of the keyboard, but given that that seems to be the standard now, will deal with it if necessary.

Budget is ~$700 but might go higher if it's the ~perfect laptop~

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bob Morales posted:

The 4GB Retina is lacking in the RAM department. Mine booted up using 1.8GB of RAM (loving integrated graphics)

Mavericks dynamically allocates memory for that. It'll use less as time goes on.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Is there anything wrong with a Sony VAIO Pro 13 ?

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Spatule posted:

I think I've heard of some WiFi issues but you'll have to double check.

Other than that the laptop flexes a little bit due to the carbon fiber.

It is super light, gets good battery life, and has a great screen as well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

evol262 posted:

Mavericks dynamically allocates memory for that. It'll use less as time goes on.

That was with Mountain Lion. You're effectively using 4x as much video memory and additionally 4x the memory for any assets that are Retina. (not that anywhere near 1.8GB of RAM is being used for video)

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 25, 2013

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Spatule posted:

I was really impressed by it when my friend got one. It's pretty much a non-apple MBA.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I think I've heard of some WiFi issues but you'll have to double check.

Other than that the laptop flexes a little bit due to the carbon fiber.

It is super light, gets good battery life, and has a great screen as well.

Oh god, it looks like wifi is indeed a huge problem with this model.
drat, it looked so nice. Anything else very similarly specced / priced that does not have ridiculous problems ?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

voltron posted:

Notebookreview forums agree either PM841 or PM851.

The 512 SSD in Dell's stuff is always a Samsung, I think.

It's a LiteOn for the 128 and 256.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Spatule posted:

Oh god, it looks like wifi is indeed a huge problem with this model.
drat, it looked so nice. Anything else very similarly specced / priced that does not have ridiculous problems ?

Depends on your definition of ridiculous. The Y2P is much cheaper but currently has an issue with how it displays yellows. It doesn't really bother me but it appears to be software and Lenovo's looking into a fix.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SMP posted:

My mom's laptop finally broke and I need to help find her a new one. Problem is, its been so long since I've shopped for a laptop I don't really know whats good anymore. Could I get some recommendations? She has some odd stipulations that aren't really hardware spec related.

- Not a lovely laptop
- Her eyesight with screens isn't that great. 1366x768 resolution is needed and the bigger the screen the better.
- A screen with great viewing angles.
- DVD tray
- USB ports not on the bottom right side where the mouse goes.
- IDEALLY no number pad on the right side of the keyboard, but given that that seems to be the standard now, will deal with it if necessary.

Budget is ~$700 but might go higher if it's the ~perfect laptop~

Thinkpad T530 will hit most of those points.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Spatule posted:

I haven't had any major problems with Wifi. Every once in a while it seems like it doesn't wake properly, but you can flip the airport mode switch and that fixes it.

The current problem is that as of several weeks ago (some Sony update) the brightness control breaks when you close the lid to sleep the PC. On wake the brightness is stuck and can't be changed. There isn't really a fix available yet. This is really annoying and kind of a big issue.

I kind of don't like that the screen doesn't tilt back all that far. It makes it harder to use if you're tall and have it on your lap.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
Got our Latitude E7440s in at work. Haven't had time to test battery life yet, but great build quality. Triple monitor support on the dock even though our Dell rep told us it only supported two. Quite happy with our purchase so far.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Naffer posted:

I kind of don't like that the screen doesn't tilt back all that far. It makes it harder to use if you're tall and have it on your lap.

If you're tall you should have a bigger lap :eng101:

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Bishyaler posted:

Got our Latitude E7440s in at work. Haven't had time to test battery life yet, but great build quality. Triple monitor support on the dock even though our Dell rep told us it only supported two. Quite happy with our purchase so far.

Which dock do you have? The old E-Port docks or some newer one?

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Shrimpy posted:

Which dock do you have? The old E-Port docks or some newer one?

Dell E-Port Plus II.
http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=au&l=en&s=dhs&cs=audhs1&sku=452-11522

Bishyaler fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 25, 2013

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Naffer posted:

I haven't had any major problems with Wifi. Every once in a while it seems like it doesn't wake properly, but you can flip the airport mode switch and that fixes it.

The current problem is that as of several weeks ago (some Sony update) the brightness control breaks when you close the lid to sleep the PC. On wake the brightness is stuck and can't be changed. There isn't really a fix available yet. This is really annoying and kind of a big issue.

I know your pain, I had the same poo poo on my HP laptop, brightness would be stuck after it woke up from sleep / hibernation. It was fixed by a Microsoft hotfix that I had to google for hours to find. Don't remember what it was though.
Before that the "solution" was to disable the sleep when closing the lid function, and close then reopen the lid when the problem happened.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Recommendations for a replacement dell laptop for my mom? Dell outlet laptops are 25% off so I was going to grab something from there.

She really only does email, facebook, and recipes on it, but she doesn't like tiny screens so something like a chromebook is out. 15" preferably but 13" would probably be OK.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

THF13 posted:

Recommendations for a replacement dell laptop for my mom? Dell outlet laptops are 25% off so I was going to grab something from there.

She really only does email, facebook, and recipes on it, but she doesn't like tiny screens so something like a chromebook is out. 15" preferably but 13" would probably be OK.
http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/hp-14-chromebook.html#hp-cb-14

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Amazon UK has started listing the Yoga 2 Pro with i7/8GB/256GB for GBP 1,099.00 (incl. sales tax), available starting November 1st.

Jesus christ, that's about EUR 1,287.00.
SRP in Germany is EUR 1,599.00 and I haven't found any discounted offers yet.
Too bad I need a german keyboard for all those sexy ümlauts. :argh:

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Hadlock posted:

So did the venerable B&N link in the OP finally die?

Thanks for asking this question; I had no idea the B&N deal existed. I just canceled the order I placed yesterday for a yoga 2, and reordered using the B&N link and saved $80

Malderi
Nov 27, 2005
There are three fundamental forces in this universe: matter, energy, and enlighted self-interest.
Looking at the XPS 15, how fast is the 1TB 5400rpm HDD + 32GB SSD cache? Obviously not as fast as a pure SSD, but how much does the cache actually help? It's 2013 and no way am I buying something as slow as a 5400rpm drive again.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Are Surface Pro 2 256GB sold out everywhere else too? I can't find a single one here in Norway :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Whaaaaat? Where are you seeing it available for sale? Lenovo's site still shows it as "Coming Soon."

The company I work for is a lenovo reseller and the lady that does purchasing told me to go to http://www.lenovosc.com/ for our pricing. Turns out my price is actually $1100-something so I'm pretty happy.

Naffer posted:

That CPU might as well be the i7-4500U. They're clocked so similarly I wonder why they even branded that one an i5 at all.

Yeah, I think the difference is like 1MB more cache on the i7. I'm pretty happy with what I'll be getting I think.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

dyne posted:

Thanks for asking this question; I had no idea the B&N deal existed. I just canceled the order I placed yesterday for a yoga 2, and reordered using the B&N link and saved $80

For those just now joining the thread, read the OP, look for the :siren: and you can typically save 10-25% off the best advertised price, and you are buying direct from Lenovo.

Typically immediately after a major launch their ship times direct from China are 7-10 days. Even for custom build to order.