Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Not bad, man, not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
From what I've seen, I don't think backer-only updates is a good idea for Kickstarters, man. It's your Kickstarter, but I restrict backer-only posts to, like, giving links to downloads.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Backer only updates are great if you don't want anyone who hasn't already bought it to care about your project. But I just checked and the Dropsy updates are not backer only!

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
So, I just talked to a pretty well known company who are super pumped about Dropsy. I can't believe this. :dance:

Megazver posted:

From what I've seen, I don't think backer-only updates is a good idea for Kickstarters, man. It's your Kickstarter, but I restrict backer-only posts to, like, giving links to downloads.

Ahh, maybe I'll change that then.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Wendell posted:

Backer only updates are great if you don't want anyone who hasn't already bought it to care about your project. But I just checked and the Dropsy updates are not backer only!

Okay, good. I think Gaspy mentioned making some future updates backer-only, so I guess I figured this was it.

Backer Fun Time, on the other hand, is a great idea. Everyone can still see, but if you want to participate, kick in some cash!

Megazver fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 25, 2013

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

Gaspy Conana posted:

So, I just talked to a pretty well known company who are super pumped about Dropsy. I can't believe this. :dance:

Ahh, maybe I'll change that then.
What kind of company?

Also, yeah, generally you should keep backer-only updates to things talking about sending rewards, sending a download link, etc. Otherwise everything else could just be used for additional promotion during the campaign. After the KS is done, you should do most updates as backer-only, especially if you show video diaries of progress or whatever. The exclusivity makes people feel glad that they backed the project, and get access to this 'exclusive' content.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

the Gaffe posted:

What kind of company?

Also, yeah, generally you should keep backer-only updates to things talking about sending rewards, sending a download link, etc. Otherwise everything else could just be used for additional promotion during the campaign. After the KS is done, you should do most updates as backer-only, especially if you show video diaries of progress or whatever. The exclusivity makes people feel glad that they backed the project, and get access to this 'exclusive' content.

Indie publisher. There's nothing set in stone, they just expressed interest. It was cool. :)

And that's a really good point. I'd be shooting myself in the foot if new game content was all private.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
In for $25 just like last time. If goons can fund racist hot dog man we can get this loving game made.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Gaspy Conana posted:

Indie publisher. There's nothing set in stone, they just expressed interest. It was cool. :)

And that's a really good point. I'd be shooting myself in the foot if new game content was all private.

*cough* Wadjet Eye Games *cough*

And I wouldn't make the post-finish posts backer-only either. As a backer I've never thought "oh if only the plebes couldn't read this exclusive poo poo that I can read". In fact, when you've backed there's no visible difference between open and backer-only posts, so I'm pretty sure this doesn't even cross the mind of most backers.

On the other hand, I've checked on the projects that I didn't back at the time because I didn't have the money but was still interested in and was put off by the wall of non-readness.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 25, 2013

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Megazver posted:

*cough* Wadjet Eye Games *cough*

And I wouldn't make the post-finish posts backer-only either. As a backer I've never thought "oh if only the plebes couldn't read this exclusive poo poo that I can read". In fact, when you've backed there's no visible difference between open and backer-only posts, so I'm pretty sure this even doesn't cross the mind of most backers.

On the other hand, I've checked on the projects that I didn't back at the time because I didn't have the money but was still interested in and was put off by the wall of non-readness.

Yeah. I definitely don't wanna give off some kind of jerky exclusive vibe. Holding information hostage is annoying. Thanks for helping me not be a jerk.

Also, nope, wasn't them. :P: I don't wanna say who unless it progresses, but I like hints! Hint: They published a pretty popular indie title with almost as much sickeningly vibrant color as Dropsy. That hint probably sucks. Oh well.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
Those are good points too I suppose. I guess it's just a question of how much the developer feels comfortable with making work-in-progress content freely available to anyone looking.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm excited that I got to back this, that you get to make your game, that I get this game, and that it looks like you are going to crush your goal this time.

:f5:

eonwe fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 25, 2013

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

the Gaffe posted:

Those are good points too I suppose. I guess it's just a question of how much the developer feels comfortable with making work-in-progress content freely available to anyone looking.

I'm still gonna do the occasional backer only update, but I definitely want to make the stuff I'm proud of showing off available for people to spread around. After the KS ends the video updates will all be backer only.

Eonwe posted:

I'm excited that I got to back this and help you make your game, that I get this game, and that it looks like you are going to crush your goal this time.

:f5:

Thank you! I'm crazy excited too!

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
Happy to throw down 25 bucks on this, godspeed Dropsy.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Something about Dropsy just speaks to me. In for 10 bucks. Cool thing you have going here!

Gaspy Conana posted:

Also, nope, wasn't them. :P: I don't wanna say who unless it progresses, but I like hints! Hint: They published a pretty popular indie title with almost as much sickeningly vibrant color as Dropsy. That hint probably sucks. Oh well.

Dennaton?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

Something about Dropsy just speaks to me. In for 10 bucks. Cool thing you have going here!

Dennaton?

Stop trying to out 'em, jeez!

In all seriousness though, glad to see you're getting some interest on this. From what I've seen of the game so far, it deserves it.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Hell yes I'm down with the clown.

The insane clown.

the one without a posse

Three Pixel
Jun 13, 2003

In space no one can hear your anime stare downs.

Atoramos posted:

The insane clown.

the one without a posse

He has a posse. Or he's building one now. (Hint: it's us!)

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Thanks guys! :glomp:

Atoramos posted:

The insane clown.

the one without a posse

That's funny because the other Kickstarter I tried had an ICP parody in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVs8ASgSLVs

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Three Pixel posted:

He has a posse. Or he's building one now. (Hint: it's us!)

I guess I'm down with whatever insane clown's posse that generally thinks magnetism is likely not magic-based.

edit: Trending Toward 721% of Goal now that's some nice early momentum.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 25, 2013

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I knew it would work out if you tried again! This is really great and I cannot wait to play weird clown simultron 2000.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Thanks. I'm glad I did. :)

Atoramos posted:

edit: Trending Toward 721% of Goal now that's some nice early momentum.

HA. I remember when I started the last Dropsy project and didn't know quite what Kicktraq was yet. I danced around the house a bit before coming to the realization that KT is goofy as crap early on.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Looking forward to playing this, and happy to contribute to something that looks and sounds so refreshingly odd! Good luck!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

evilmiera posted:

Stop trying to out 'em, jeez!

In all seriousness though, glad to see you're getting some interest on this. From what I've seen of the game so far, it deserves it.

But what are hints for if not to make us guess!

I'm just playing along with the game :(

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to guess Tell Tale games in the hope that it leads to many terrific cameos.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
We're about to hit 10k! That's like 70%! This is such a stark contrast from the last campaign.

ninjewtsu posted:

But what are hints for if not to make us guess!

I'm just playing along with the game :(

Nah man, it's cool. You're wrong anyway though - Dennaton isn't a publisher. :angel:

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
You've gotten hella good coverage and you picked a really really really good time for getting open wallets. No Steam sale to gently caress things up, just before the X-mas season.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Oh here we go. Here's hoping you can make the stretch goals, you have the baseline for sure.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is there any kind of collection of all the past projects you've done (CYOA games, things like the little flash game on the second kickstarter)?
I'm really digging your art but it doesn't look like you have a ton fo your stuff up on your website, unless there's a lot of stuff that I'm just missing

Gaspy Conana posted:

Nah man, it's cool. You're wrong anyway though - Dennaton isn't a publisher. :angel:

Aw poo poo I meant Devolver :saddowns:

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Within $4,000 of your goal and 29 days left, I think Dropsy might just make it.

Gaspy Conana posted:

HA. I remember when I started the last Dropsy project and didn't know quite what Kicktraq was yet. I danced around the house a bit before coming to the realization that KT is goofy as crap early on.

Boy is that true. But with the momentum you've got, it would be really shocking if it dropped low enough to not make your goal. I think the biggest draw on the page is your art, your work certainly looks game-ready.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
What are some of the reasons this Kickstarter seems to be rocking so much harder than Dropsy's last attempt? Speaking frankly I think the trailer is a way better this time around, but surely that can't make such a difference.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

There seems to be much more media coverage this time too. And it was a staff pick for a bit. Dropsy's stars have aligned.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Third times a charm.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Geight posted:

What are some of the reasons this Kickstarter seems to be rocking so much harder than Dropsy's last attempt? Speaking frankly I think the trailer is a way better this time around, but surely that can't make such a difference.

I think it's mostly a crapshoot, like someone said earlier. Really hard to predict when the press will decide to pick up on it. I sent TONS of emails last time, and only three writers responded. That said, I did show a lot more gameplay this time. The video was 90% about the game itself instead of jokes and goofy song parodies and stuff.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
We're.. one away from 500 backers. :toot: Today seems to be the drop off point for the initial excitement though. Outside of the huge kickstarters with thousands of backers, updates, and stretch goals, what do smaller projects do for.. 30 days. Seems like a long time seeing it from this perspective.

the Gaffe fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 26, 2013

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

the Gaffe posted:

We're.. one away from 500 backers. :toot: Today seems to be the drop off point for the initial excitement though. Outside of the huge kickstarters with thousands of backers, updates, and stretch goals, what do smaller projects do for.. 30 days. Seems like a long time seeing it from this perspective.

I have no clue. I tried using KickSpy to find comparable campaigns, but it's hard to find any. I think the fact that I had a ton of return backers makes it a hard one to predict. Still, I'm not complaining. I definitely hope to make the stretch goals, though. :)

EDIT: We're now on the IDGA Kickstarter page! Yay! http://www.kickstarter.com/pages/igda

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 26, 2013

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!
Kicked in $25bux. Godspeed, Dropsy! :patriot:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

You now have 548 backers, the exact number you garnered over 30 days last time. Here's hoping you can maintain some momentum over the coming weeks!

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:
In for $15! Godspeed, Dropsy. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I certainly hope you get the coloring book/music stuff as an addon. My wife and I will definitely pick up a couple copies, that sounds awesome.

• Locked thread