Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, I've been hearing that this game is sort of more of the same with regards to City - are there any steps back in here, or is it more refined? (Or neither, I suppose) That includes story, though don't spoil me when you answer. If the game's as good or better than City, that won't be much of a problem for me.

I'd say, bar a few niggles, it's on a par with City. The story is also, in my opinion, the best of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punk Blood
Jan 8, 2008

The luck is gone, the brain is shot, but the liquor we still got.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Ok, that's actually kind of hilarious then. I just thought "Electric fists, I should stun him first" and BAM, it's over in one hit. Also might want to spoil that since it kind of ruins the fight to know the strategy ahead of time.

My thinking was along the same lines but my first thought was to jump over him and attack from behind, the jumping animation didn't even complete and it played the victory cutscene. I couldn't tell if it was a glitch or if it was a joke about him being a pushover.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

VogeGandire posted:

I'd say, bar a few niggles, it's on a par with City. The story is also, in my opinion, the best of the series.

Yeah, I like that the tone seems shifted to somewhere between TAS and Batman '89, with at least a few nods toward Nolan's Batman as well. It feels like a universe drawing from even richer sources. And I know this makes me a blasphemer, but I think I prefer the young Batman voice.

I just jumped into MP for the first time and it seems pretty fun. I hope it has an active community because asymmetric multiplayer is fun as hell, though right now it feels pretty difficult as a hero. Of course, it could be that I just suck at being Batman.

Oh, and AO now has :siren:TRADING CARDS:siren: on Steam! They're not showing on the badge page yet but I just got a Copperhead drop.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, I've been hearing that this game is sort of more of the same with regards to City - are there any steps back in here, or is it more refined? (Or neither, I suppose) That includes story, though don't spoil me when you answer. If the game's as good or better than City, that won't be much of a problem for me.

I'd say it's an all-around step forward. The controls feel tighter and combat is a lot more satisfying than it was in city. The story is great and the general premise allows for the various supervillains to be more distinct and interesting. Visually it's the best looking of the bunch, but it's also the newest, so that's not a shock. Even so the design just looks cool and setting it on Christmas Eve was smart; old Gotham, all covered in snow and decorations, is much cooler than it was as a gritty, crumbling industrial prison. Everything in general feels way more... Batmanny.

It's kind of funny that this is the Arkham game that was developed by a different studio, because Arkham City came off like it was developed by a different group who almost, but not quite, got what made Arkham Asylum so special; whereas this game feels like the proper sequel Rocksteady would have made.

Four out of five possible Batmans on the Batman Batscale. Batman.

LSD-25
Jan 26, 2007
Lysergic Acid Diethylamide: C20H25N3O

quote:

- Being trapped in a room because the doors wouldn't open (had to quit to menu and go back in to resolve.)
- Main quest waypoint being lost after doing a side quest. Finally found where to go and is working fine now, but was very frustrating at the time.
- Just now, I pulled a grate open with the batclaw and used grapple to get up to it, but Batman won't climb into it (even though it's obvious it's exactly where I'm supposed to go as there were similar situations in both previous games.

Experienced all of these bugs, plus I'm now at the (super villain that had a side mission in both city+asylum) Mad Hatter side mission and after being ported into the main area, I no longer have a mouse cursor and there doesn't seem to be any way to proceed. I tried all the gadgets and the remote claw gives me a cursor that I can't move but I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to use batarangs here. I tried restarting the game several times since that fixed the door + waypoint bugs earlier but it doesn't seem to help; currently updating graphics drivers and/or maybe reinstall the game.

Unfortunately, restarting from the most recent waypoint leaves me locked in the same area so this seems to be a game-ending bug. Am I missing something totally obvious or has this happened to anyone else? Or has anyone finished this side mission successfully on PC? I'm using KB+M, not sure if that could make a difference at all. I have a controller but it's not an xbox one so I can't use it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The difficulty is really nice too.

The second time you go into Blackgate, when Joker takes it over, there's a HUGE brawl where it's 30+ inmates vs you. What's great is: It doesn't feel like artificial difficulty. It took me 4 tries to get past it, but I didn't feel cheated after each death. Every time I just felt like "If I tighten up my control and work on my reversals, I'll be able to take this.

Oh, and I finished the last inmate, who had a shield, with an aerial attack with shock gloves active :black101:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I just reached the worst part of the game. It's Mad Hatter's side-quest. Really poorly designed, most of the time I have no idea where to go or which gadget to use. This is nowhere near the quality of Scarecrow sections of Asylum.

LSD-25
Jan 26, 2007

Terminally Bored posted:

I just reached the worst part of the game. It's Mad Hatter's side-quest. Really poorly designed, most of the time I have no idea where to go or which gadget to use. This is nowhere near the quality of Scarecrow sections of Asylum.

Hey there worst part of the game buddy! ^^

I fumbled around for a while and I guess it's just supposed to be like this? Didn't finish the mission yet but I did get past the first 15s of it that I was stuck on for a good half hour mashing keys.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I encountered a bug where most of the audio disappears upon loading the next mission. Restarting fixed it. Also hard mode takes just as much if not more hyper focus as I remember in arkham city. First boss took me a number of attempts. Combat feels good though. Crime scene analysis is awesome.

LSD-25
Jan 26, 2007
I really like the idea of crime scene analysis but I wish it was a little more interactive even though I'm not sure how they'd accomplish that. It reminds me a little of the memory sequences in Remember Me, another feature that was completely underutilized.

Grapnel-ing around the city feels a lot different/harder, but I actually like it since I felt like arkham city made you feel too much like Spider-Man, throwing grapnels impossible distances into nowhere, and not enough like Batman.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LSD-25 posted:

I really like the idea of crime scene analysis but I wish it was a little more interactive even though I'm not sure how they'd accomplish that. It reminds me a little of the memory sequences in Remember Me, another feature that was completely underutilized.

It's still a huge step up from the other games, which showed you the analysis but then had you barely use it ever. I think if it cut down on telling you what to do next, it would be perfect. Maybe just clues instead of telling you what to look for next.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The third bossfight with Bane, after he injects himself with Titan :stare:

There's more tension in that one fight than in THE ENTIRE REST OF THE GAME.

It also does ANGRY BANE more justice than any other representation I've seen. He is a loving MACHINE.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Brumaldo posted:

When do you get Disarm & Destroy?
I just got rid of Copperhead and I'm still missing my delicious variety bonus!

It's locked behind Bird's sidequest. Critical strikes, in case someone's wondering, are awarded after beating Shiva's sidequest.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Are the people with bugs playing this on PC or ps3/360/wiiu?

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
There seem to be quite a lot of bugs that shouldn't be in this game, In the Mad Hatter sequence I just encountered a bug where the plate used to cross the river/waterfall would get suck on land so I couldn't cross, dropping into the water would just move where on land it would uh.. land. A restart of checkpoint fixed it.

I can't help but feel some of these bugs really should have been caught but all in all I am at least enjoying the game apart from the occasional frustrating bug.

I am on the PC version.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Just finished the main story.

I feel I won't spoil anything if I just say: Sweet jesus that was good.

Now to get started on ALL THESE SIDE MISSIONS.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

VogeGandire posted:

How rude of you to say your opinions about this game ! My own will be spoiled, and I won't have a clear judgment on it !

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I am here to cloud your judgement and to tell you all YOU NEED THIS IN YOUR LIFE.

It's probably my GotY, and like I said, I've not even started on the side missions.

chaosapiant posted:

Is it just me, or does this game run better on higher graphic settings than Arkham City did? I have a 660ti, and can turn everything up with the exception of AA which is FXAA high, and the game runs like butter. AC was constantly chugging if I had DX11 tessellation activated. Man this is good so far.

I'm on a fairly average gaming PC (i5-2300, 7850) and the entire game bar one scene was like smooth as silk. For some reason the only scene that dropped my FPS was the first time you meet Barbara. There's not really anything that would obviously cause it, but hey, it's a short scene.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 25, 2013

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is it just me, or does this game run better on higher graphic settings than Arkham City did? I have a 660ti, and can turn everything up with the exception of AA which is FXAA high, and the game runs like butter. AC was constantly chugging if I had DX11 tessellation activated. Man this is good so far.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

chaosapiant posted:

Arkham Origins definitely runs better with Physx on high with one card (in this case a GTX 770) than in Arkham City with the same card. Though I have not played the version without GFWL and apparently GFWL was causing some of the stuttering problems Arkham City had.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

havenwaters posted:

Arkham Origins definitely runs better with Physx on high with one card (in this case a GTX 770) than in Arkham City with the same card. Though I have not played the version without GFWL and apparently GFWL was causing some of the stuttering problems Arkham City had.

I played Arkham City two days ago with a GTX 660 and there was way more frame loss and stutter than in Origins.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

WirelessPillow posted:

I played Arkham City two days ago with a GTX 660 and there was way more frame loss and stutter than in Origins.

That's how i'd describe my AC experience with that card. Stutter. The framerate was "smooth" for the most part, but would just get jerky for no reason. Turning off DX11 features helped make it a solid 60fps experience. Looks like they squeezed every bit of performance out of this engine, and i'm thankful. I expected AO to run much worse. I love Batman so loving much.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I don't know if my PS3 is dying or this game has some of the worst QA in an AAA title. It crashes all the time, the framerate drops to the single digits very often in outdoor areas, and just now this happened.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
Not sure if anyone else is encountering this on PC, but I thought I'd check with others. This will be spoiler free except for location names, which aren't spoilers in my mind:

I just finished Lacey Towers and was headed to the Burnley Comms Relay. There's a point very early where you pull down a grate and, seemingly, are supposed to climb in there... except I can't. I can grapple up to the vent, I can hang on the vent, but I cannot climb in. I checked videos on Youtube and people are all nimbly-bimbly-jumping-tree-to-tree into the vent... but I can't. Any ideas at all here? I'm on PC and thinking (since I assume most of the videos are from pirates who got the PS3/360 copies early) maybe it's a PC issue. Anyone else got this?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Spermando posted:

I don't know if my PS3 is dying or this game has some of the worst QA in an AAA title. It crashes all the time, the framerate drops to the single digits very often in outdoor areas, and just now this happened.

That sounds like some kind of console issue...maybe HDD or disc drive?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sicarius posted:

Not sure if anyone else is encountering this on PC, but I thought I'd check with others. This will be spoiler free except for location names, which aren't spoilers in my mind:

I just finished Lacey Towers and was headed to the Burnley Comms Relay. There's a point very early where you pull down a grate and, seemingly, are supposed to climb in there... except I can't. I can grapple up to the vent, I can hang on the vent, but I cannot climb in. I checked videos on Youtube and people are all nimbly-bimbly-jumping-tree-to-tree into the vent... but I can't. Any ideas at all here? I'm on PC and thinking (since I assume most of the videos are from pirates who got the PS3/360 copies early) maybe it's a PC issue. Anyone else got this?

Yep, it's been pretty common in here. Allegedly, according to the Steam forums, hitting RT and forward helps, but I haven't tested since I'm avoiding that tower until the patch.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

sicarius posted:

This should be in the OP or something, but yes. Everybody is getting this on the PC version.

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003
In multiplayer my progress has been reset. I'm back at level 1 with nothing unlocked. apparently I'm not the only one according the forums. I had a lot of fun but, I feel like everything has been rushed. Only 4 maps, 1 game mode and no way to communicate. Is this going to end up like Gotham City Imposters where the games is abandoned?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Oof, Deathstroke is really knocking me around during the first(only?) fight with him. It should go to show how molly coddled I am by games usually that I assumed if I died after taking off a chunk of his health then it would load me back up at that point. But it doesn't; it just starts me off at the beginning of the fight, which is both annoying and cool. Annoying because it takes forever to fight him, and cool because I'm starting to learn his patterns and taking him down notch by notch feels a lot more badass than it would have if the game basically gave me the win.

Also, haha, poor ol' Electrocutioner.

EDIT: aaaaaaaaaand just as I was beginning to turn the tides against Deathstroke, I countered him right through the floor, glitching the fight into an unwinnable state. Welp... guess I don't know my own strength.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 25, 2013

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

Crappy Jack posted:

This should be in the OP or something, but yes. Everybody is getting this on the PC version.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yep, it's been pretty common in here. Allegedly, according to the Steam forums, hitting RT and forward helps, but I haven't tested since I'm avoiding that tower until the patch.

Awesooommmeeee... thanks duded. I assumed that's the answer I was going to get. I tried searching the thread but I couldn't get a mix of words that narrowed it down. I'll try the RT + Forward thing and see if I can get it going. At least it's a known issue.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Goddamn, getting timing right is tricky. I'm either very rusty or the combat is slightly quicker, or I'm (the character) slower? I feel a bunch of counters are coming quicker then animation are finishing almost.

I'm playing on Hard though and loving that it's actually hard.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Is there a way to pull the camera back during combat sequences? Because I've died 3 times due to an enemy attacking off-screen.

Really, really can't figure out why the camera pulls in so close. City didn't have this problem so I'm not sure why this one does...

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

codenameFANGIO posted:

One costume is Judas Contract Deathstroke, AKA The Real Deathstroke in all his bright, cheesy early-80's glory.

The other is Injustice Deathstroke, which is kinda meh. :shrug:

I only had the injustice skin. Did you preorder on PC or console? I'm playing on steam.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

mysterious frankie posted:

Oof, Deathstroke is really knocking me around during the first(only?) fight with him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Quickfire Grapple Claw.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Medium Cool posted:

I only had the injustice skin. Did you preorder on PC or console? I'm playing on steam.

I preordered on Steam with a Nvidia code and have both outfits. Have you played as Deathstroke on a challenge map yet? I don't know if there were any conditions for unlocking it, but I had already played for awhile when I noticed I had the Judas Deathstroke.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

VogeGandire posted:

Just finished the main story.

Killing Joke good or video game good? If it's the former I'm out sixty bucks.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 25, 2013

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

randombattle posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Quickfire Grapple Claw.

That was actually how I knocked him through the floor.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Red Mundus posted:

Is there a way to pull the camera back during combat sequences? Because I've died 3 times due to an enemy attacking off-screen.

Really, really can't figure out why the camera pulls in so close. City didn't have this problem so I'm not sure why this one does...
It really does seem much closer this time, doesn't it? I think there are some FOV settings you can mess with in one of the .ini files, but I don't know the specifics.

edit: apparently (so far) this can't be changed in Origins
http://steamcommunity.com/app/209000/discussions/0/792924952531406535/

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 25, 2013

Wet Biscuit McGlee
Jul 13, 2006

girls hate me
Did anyone who preorder on PSN get the Deathstroke DLC? I didn't, and it seems that nobody else on PSN did either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

I preordered on Steam with a Nvidia code and have both outfits. Have you played as Deathstroke on a challenge map yet? I don't know if there were any conditions for unlocking it, but I had already played for awhile when I noticed I had the Judas Deathstroke.

I've only unlocked one challenge map so far so I guess I'll keep playing. I noticed batman's dark knight costume unlocks when you finish the dark knight challenges, maybe you have to unlock the other as well. Thanks.

• Locked thread