Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
From a little bit further down in that thread:
290X Fan Test

Had my headphones in - ripped them out when it hit 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Just go ahead and pair this with a FX-9590

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

real_scud posted:

To be fair, there will be aftermarket coolers that come out really soon and people will then integrate them.

If you're talking about aftermarket cards, most review sites say they don't expect them until December at the earliest. I've even heard rumors of them not coming until next year.

If you're talking about DIY coolers, there's already a water block, and I have no idea on aftermarket air coolers.

I, personally, cannot be asked to buy a 290X, a water block, and the components for constructing a half decent water loop (way too rich for my blood right now), so if I was to get one, I'd probably opt for the air coolers, assuming they do any good.

Also, from my understanding (I may be completely wrong), the card is designed to always push to 95C OOTB. I'm wondering if this also accounts for custom coolers, meaning you can possibly run the stock clocks at 80C if you wish, but if you don't change anything in the settings, it's going to ramp the clock up until it reaches 95C and stop there.

Digital Jesus posted:

Just played FF XIV for 2 hours and it wasn't any louder than my EVGA GTX 770 with the reference blower. I didn't mess with any of the power/performance stuff in Catalyst, just running it stock. It was hot though. It was idling at like 78C.

Dear lord. That's hotter than what my 580 got on full load with a reference cooler. Are you sure that was idle temps, because most reviews show it idling at around 40C.

I know it apparently takes a long time to cool off after being on full load though.

All this enthusiasm for the 290X (despite its high temps, loud fans, and power draw) is honestly making me rethinking about getting one. Before, I was thinking there would be no way in hell that something that hot would be going in my case, but after reading testimonials from people on other forums, it seems like the reviewers must have really stressed the thing out to get it to 95C. Someone was running MSI's Kombustor, and the thing never went above 80C for him on the stock cooler. He also claimed that Quiet Mode actually had a limit of 80C for him OOTB, which contradicts most reviews showing that you could also hit 95C on that. Maybe AMD slightly updated the drivers just before release or something.

Either way, warts and all on it, I'm seriously reconsidering taking the plunge when they get back in stock. I just don't want to spend $550 on something I might end up regretting later.

EDIT: Take this with a grain of salt, but about 23 seconds into ToT's review of the 290X, Elric states that that he'll be getting a non-reference sample in about a week or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLLZ9oAGdto&t=23s

Rahu X fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 25, 2013

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

TigerDirect had the 290X but it's gone now :(

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

El Scotch posted:

You don't have one because someone hogged them.

I happened upon newegg yesterday when sapphires and msi cards went up, but I don't really care for those companies. Holding out for XFX since I'm going to water cool :(

Gonna drop by Microcenter on the way home and see if they have them yet or even know when they are getting them.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
If supplies of the 290X remain scarce, I wonder if nVidia will respond to it at all. It does undercut their top end cards, but if most people can't get their hands on one, and it is for all intents and purposes a paper launch, it really isn't much of a threat.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What's so special about XFX? I didn't see anything special in their warranty?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Cmdrmonkey posted:

If supplies of the 290X remain scarce, I wonder if nVidia will respond to it at all. It does undercut their top end cards, but if most people can't get their hands on one, and it is for all intents and purposes a paper launch, it really isn't much of a threat.

They already announced their response a few weeks ago. 780 Ti comes out in the next few weeks, most likely priced at $650 with a $100 price drop for 780.

Not to mention that this is only day two of the release. Early scarcity is pretty common with new cards.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

Tab8715 posted:

Besides their aftermarket cards looking sexy as gently caress, nothing really.

In fact, it's usually advised that you stay away from XFX when it comes to aftermarkets. They're known for limiting voltage and having louder fans than most aftermarkets. They do cool well though, and again, look pretty drat sexy.

I suppose if you don't intend to do any OCing, and you just want a card that looks awesome and performs, they're fine. Otherwise, MSI, ASUS, and Gigabyte are usually the go to guys for aftermarkets.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Magic Underwear posted:

They already announced their response a few weeks ago. 780 Ti comes out in the next few weeks, most likely priced at $650 with a $100 price drop for 780.

Not to mention that this is only day two of the release. Early scarcity is pretty common with new cards.

Yep. And the massive games bundle. nVidia is counting on you either being willing to pay a little more, or be happy with a little less performance while getting all the games you wanted to get "for free" (and, let's be real here, it is only a little less for the majority of use cases - TOP TIER overclocks on both cards, the 290X outruns it, but modest overclocks for both cards, the 780 wins, and in each case not by leaps and bounds but enough to make a difference to the right people I guess).

Still serious about going full retard and getting two 780s if the price hits $550, followed by a long-time-coming monitor upgrade as soon as a nice GSync monitor is released or a compatible one I like hits the market (I've got plenty of solder and don't mind the effort of sticking a thing in there :3:).

If I were buying new and buying now, I'd say for single GPU, 290X is unquestionably the superior value proposition if performance is your sole objective. Its temperature doesn't even really matter, though it is a noisy son of a bitch, that's for sure, and that's worth considering.

But again we're two days out from release, we don't know for certain what the broader overclocking picture will look like, what kind of things partners can do with aftermarket coolers, and importantly we haven't seen nVidia's response. Unlike the late-gen Fermi vs. Tahiti fight, nVidia will actually have one. Might be worth waiting to see if it turns out to be better (though the more people using AMD hardware in the interim the better for the market as a whole, ehhh go hog wild :D)

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Agreed posted:

Yep. And the massive games bundle. nVidia is counting on you either being willing to pay a little more, or be happy with a little less performance while getting all the games you wanted to get "for free" (and, let's be real here, it is only a little less for the majority of use cases - TOP TIER overclocks on both cards, the 290X outruns it, but modest overclocks for both cards, the 780 wins, and in each case not by leaps and bounds but enough to make a difference to the right people I guess).

Still serious about going full retard and getting two 780s if the price hits $550, followed by a long-time-coming monitor upgrade as soon as a nice GSync monitor is released or a compatible one I like hits the market (I've got plenty of solder and don't mind the effort of sticking a thing in there :3:).

If I were buying new and buying now, I'd say for single GPU, 290X is unquestionably the superior value proposition if performance is your sole objective. Its temperature doesn't even really matter, though it is a noisy son of a bitch, that's for sure, and that's worth considering.

But again we're two days out from release, we don't know for certain what the broader overclocking picture will look like, what kind of things partners can do with aftermarket coolers, and importantly we haven't seen nVidia's response. Unlike the late-gen Fermi vs. Tahiti fight, nVidia will actually have one. Might be worth waiting to see if it turns out to be better (though the more people using AMD hardware in the interim the better for the market as a whole, ehhh go hog wild :D)

I'm all for nice monitors, but I'm sticking with my GTX770 and eroding Dell 3007WFP-HC until a 4k monitor with G-Sync comes out.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
Anyone have any idea of how long it will be before 290's will be sold with aftermarket coolers? I'm itching to upgrade from my GTX 480.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

jkyuusai posted:

290X Fan Test

This is so funny.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Tab8715 posted:

They have very good customer support in the event that you ever need it. They also don't void your warranty for changing the cooler. Almost all other companies will tell you to pound sand if you remove the heatsink for any purpose, even if it's just to replace the lovely thermal paste that undoubtedly comes on it by default. I only ever buy cards with the regular heatsink as I pretty much watercool everything.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

-Malaysian King Kai

goobernoodles posted:

Anyone have any idea of how long it will be before 290's will be sold with aftermarket coolers? I'm itching to upgrade from my GTX 480.

If Elric from Tech of Tomorrow is to be believed, maybe in a week or two. Otherwise, most reviewers are saying sometime in December.

Look back to my previous post on this for a reference.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Rahu X posted:

Dear lord. That's hotter than what my 580 got on full load with a reference cooler. Are you sure that was idle temps, because most reviews show it idling at around 40C.

I know it apparently takes a long time to cool off after being on full load though.

This was after the computer being on for, I dunno, 30 minutes? My PC had not done anything more intensive than load a handful of tabs in Chrome. The temp was from both GPU-Z and the Catalyst control panel. It seems to have calmed down this morning, it's sitting on 48 right now (I'd estimate 30 degrees above ambient). It's only on 20% fan speed but it's not actually doing anything so yeah (hit 50 as I typed the rest of this).

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

veedubfreak posted:

They have very good customer support in the event that you ever need it. They also don't void your warranty for changing the cooler. Almost all other companies will tell you to pound sand if you remove the heatsink for any purpose, even if it's just to replace the lovely thermal paste that undoubtedly comes on it by default. I only ever buy cards with the regular heatsink as I pretty much watercool everything.

No, no, gently caress, no. XFX is one of the "Goons say avoid" companies. Their warranties aren't guaranteed to give you back the same card, and they don't make it a better one. I once had problems with a GeForce 7950 GT, a model with video-in/video-out capability that I used, and they sent me back an 8600 GS without VIVO that underperformed it by 30% in everything but Counter-Strike. After I made a stink and pointed it out, they took it back and gave me a 7900 GT without VIVO. I then gave up and bought an MSI Radeon.

And XFX has a really bad habit of cutting down their semi-custom cards instead of building them up, to make them cheap and unreliable. For a few months, everyone around here thought that GeForce 570s couldn't overclock well, until someone bought one that *wasn't* an XFX model and suddenly, hey, they overclock fine just like everything else.

EVGA is who you go to for an *actually* good warranty and good cards.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

eVGA is nVidia only :(

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Factory Factory posted:

And XFX has a really bad habit of cutting down their semi-custom cards instead of building them up, to make them cheap and unreliable. For a few months, everyone around here thought that GeForce 570s couldn't overclock well

Not to take away from the "XFX is low quality" talk because it's true, but hadn't they gone AMD-only by that point? I don't recall XFX making any Fermi or later cards due to the dispute with nVidia.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Oh, you're right. I hadn't even noticed that. Change that for "other manufacturers' cut-down cards," I guess.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Factory Factory posted:

Oh, you're right. I hadn't even noticed that. Change that for "other manufacturers' cut-down cards," I guess.

Is anyone as cut down as XFX though? :ice burn: I heard once that part of the reason for XFX's switch was due to nVidia wanting to enforce higher quality control but not sure how true that rumor was.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

SourKraut posted:

Is anyone as cut down as XFX though? :ice burn: I heard once that part of the reason for XFX's switch was due to nVidia wanting to enforce higher quality control but not sure how true that rumor was.

Gigabyte does some bean-counter poo poo with power delivery parts iirc. Hard to say what second and third tier manufacturers do since those tend to be buy-at-your-own-risk anyway, though I reckon with nVidia Greenlight it should be as safe as anything else. AMD ought to do something like that.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Factory Factory posted:

EVGA is who you go to for an *actually* good warranty and good cards.

I avoided eVGA for about 11 years because around the GeForce2 era they were complete poo poo and refused to RMA a GF2MX that I bought direct from them that had purple blotches on my screen due to bad memory.

I'm still surprised how much better they've gotten over the years.

Still won't shop at TigerDirect though.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
What's the verdict on HIS then, for those of you who run AMD cards?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Chuu posted:

I avoided eVGA for about 11 years because around the GeForce2 era they were complete poo poo and refused to RMA a GF2MX that I bought direct from them that had purple blotches on my screen due to bad memory.

Still won't shop at TigerDirect though.

Yeah... gently caress TigerDirect. But EVGA is a massive success story, they went from eehhh level cards to top partner with extensive warranty service. I personally love the change from "useless lifetime for the original purchaser" to "useful lifetime transferable" - if a card is going to croak it's probably going to do it within that 3 year warranty period and that helps resale value tremendously; if it croaks outside of said 3-year period it's probably time for a replacement anyway. And they still offer the not-so-sucker-bet medium warranty period of 5 years for those investing in higher end hardware, though anyone buying the 10-year warranty is out of their damned mind. If I had had a ten year warranty on the video card I was using in 2003 and it finally failed on me, well hey I guess I could get me a brand new piece of poo poo that won't play Windows :v:

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Not a brand I'm intimately familiar with, but close enough to AMD to have been the source of the Volcanic Island leaks in September. That probably says something.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

-Malaysian King Kai

In my past experience with AMD/ATI, all the cards were HIS. Didn't have any issues, and could overclock decently.

Most reviews say their aftermarket coolers are very quiet and do a decent job.

I'd say go for it.

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013

jkyuusai posted:

290X Fan Test

Sounds like a car engine. The aftermarket coolers have to be better.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Chuu posted:

I thought the same thing til recently. My first EVGA was a DOA and the one they sent me to replace it didn't work right in any 3D game. It stretched random polygons across the screen. I avoided them for years til I realized they were actually good now.

XFX seems to have gone the opposite way though. I had XFX cards for years with no problems and it's sad that they kinda suck now.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

I'd always heard that Sapphire was the way to go when it came to AMD cards and I had a great experience with the 7970 Ghz Vapor-X.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Ghostpilot posted:

I'd always heard that Sapphire was the way to go when it came to AMD cards and I had a great experience with the 7970 Ghz Vapor-X.

Since we are sharing vendor horror stories, I had a launch day Sapphire 5870 that died like 6 months out of warranty. I gave up and bought an EVGA 680 with the 5 year warranty.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

jkyuusai posted:

290X Fan Test

What's the CPU HSF in that video? It's total :stare:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Noctua, you can tell by the fan colors. Specifically, I'd say it's the NH-C12P or, less likely, the NH-C14.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

Noctua, you can tell by the fan colors. Specifically, I'd say it's the NH-C12P or, less likely, the NH-C14.
I'd be scared to mount that to my mobo, even with a backplate. :ohdear:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Josh Lyman posted:

I'd be scared to mount that to my mobo, even with a backplate. :ohdear:

Google Zalman FX100.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

-Malaysian King Kai
After doing some digging around the net, it seems that a couple of already available aftermarket air coolers fit the 290X quite well. Namely, the Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme III, and the Prolimatech MK-26.

Poorly translated source for non Germans.

Nice to know for those who are too nervous, or are lacking the funds, to set up a water cooled solution.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
More on the Prolimatechs: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18551649

quote:

stock clocks and fan speeds

85'C in heaven on stock cooler

55'C in heaven on MK-26 cooler

Overclocked at 1200 Core + 1.4V

stock cooler at 85'c with 100% fan speed

MK-26 cooler at 72'C with silent fans.

quote:

Hi there

Right guys, being stress testing this solution over-night and all day to day.

At stock speeds, voltage reduced too 1225mv (Stock is 1250mv) the card running Heaven maxed out, never exceeded 50c underload and was completely silent. That is a good 30-35c improvement with the MK26 cooler over stock.

Maximum overclock does not improve any further with silent fans, but you can match the max overclock, again keeping silent fans your looking at approx 85c under load, so about 5c improvement over the stock fan at 100% which is hoover loud.

However this is the real sweet spot guys for 24/7 gaming:-

Core: 1100Mhz
RAM: 6000MHz
Voltage: 1300mv
Power: +50
Fans: Silent
Heaven 3.0: Tesselation Extreme, 16x/8x AA/AF at 2560x1440

Maximum load temperature was 62c and in SILENCE.
The stock cooler could do this but with two dis-advantages, you'd be pushing 85c area and the fans would be at 75-100%, so you'd be hotter and much louder.

In short this is the perfect gaming setup, yet you could push the OC easily to 1150 / 6400, but in our view why? Keep the card 110% safe and cool whilst still absolutely beasting everything.

The MK26 works superb, nothing is melting, VRM's, memory is all fine.

Soon we shall test EK Blocks for those who wish to go water as that will be the ultimate solution and a 24/7 gaming could be no doubt done easily with 1200/6400 speeds.

This is a fuckoff huge 4 slot cooler and they are selling their product, but three slot and the better two slot aftermarket coolers would likely cut 20°C under load, possibly while clocking higher due to the stock cooler throttling the card.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Arzachel posted:

More on the Prolimatechs: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18551649

This is a fuckoff huge 4 slot cooler and they are selling their product, but three slot and the better two slot aftermarket coolers would likely cut 20°C under load, possibly while clocking higher due to the stock cooler throttling the card.

I actually find this rather enticing. What is wrong with me?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ghostpilot posted:

I actually find this rather enticing. What is wrong with me?

I'd buy 4 slot dead silent video cards every generation if they didn't carry a ridiculous premium (£551=$890; plus the cost of fans)

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

BurritoJustice posted:

Vroom vroom.

I seriously cannot get excited for this card. The performance in my eyes just doesn't outweigh the noise, heat, and lack of overclocking headroom(which makes other cards perform better anyway). I mean, the internet hype disagrees. But there are surely other people with reservations right?
I don't get it either. It seems to fill a very tiny niche... 1440p single-monitor gaming for people who really really can't be bothered with SLI/crossfire and are willing to pay a huge premium to avoid it? I see people posting about the "awesome price/performance". Since when is 20% more than a 7970 for well over double the price good price:performance? :raise:

The 290X can't handle triple monitors or 4K on anything fancy with fancy settings, so you're going to need two or three of them. I guess if you're committed to cramming as much GPU in your case as possible then yeah it sorta makes sense but if not, then it seems like you'd be much less stupid to go with 7970s or 780s or whatever. 7970s are $250 now, 7990s are as low as $500 and completely wreck the Titan or 290X or anything really, it's twice the card for twice the price which makes sense since, well, it's two cards in one. AMD's frame pacing isn't perfect for multiple monitor setups (presumably including 4K for now since those are generally tiled, right?) but it's awesome for, say, a single 1440p monitor which, again, is all you'd be using a single 290X for...

Straker fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Oct 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Where can you get a Radeon 7990 for $500? Cheapest on Newegg is $730 after rebate.

A few 4K displays are tiled, but HDMI 2.0/DisplayPort 1.2 4K screens are not, and they will be the predominant displays.