Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

Destroying the 10 uplinks per district is necessary to finish the Riddler storyline.

Can you beat the Riddler without unlocking Burnly? Like using a map to find all the stuff in the zone, but not turning the tower back on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

How are critical counters supposed to work? Do I tap counter a second time before Batman hits the guy back, or just wait till the last second before the thug's initial hit would have landed? I've unlocked the ability and tried both ways, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I would buy a game that was just 10 hours of Alfred being snarky.

You realize if you stay in tonight you just win right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pharmaskittle posted:

How are critical counters supposed to work? Do I tap counter a second time before Batman hits the guy back, or just wait till the last second before the thug's initial hit would have landed? I've unlocked the ability and tried both ways, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Just the last second before being hit.

God drat, the Deathstroke fight is loving amazing.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

How do I fix the camera?

It keeps swinging the wrong way. But if I change it in the menu, it also becomes convinced that it's opposite-day when in first-person mode.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

So far this game is great, it's clearly a rehash of Arkham City with a little more room and a bit more freedom of purpose, but they've added a lot in many subtle ways. I'm not sick of it at all.

The (first real boss fight) Deathstroke fight was awesome, felt fast paced and fluid, even if I got the 'you pinned me to a wall' maneuver about 100 times.

There's a scene later in the GCPD building over the SWAT team where Batman says basically 'I can't take all these guys' and advises you to sneak around all 20 odd guys half of whom are armed, did anyone else just dive in and kick all their asses anyway? I know I did :rock:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Can anyone thats unlocked Bane's bio tell me what it says and/or anyone that has fought him tell me how he's presented in the game?

I've been curious about that since his file in AA said he had broken batman's back, but this is only five years before that an meant to be his first (?) appearance. Obviously Knightfall doesn't happen in this game but I wanna know how competent he seems I guess (like is that a realistic thing for him to do a year from then) and if he's on venom yet or not.

Well "major spoiler" He is the final boss for one thing.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 26, 2013

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well He is the final boss for one thing.

Dude, rewrite this spoiler. I moused over it expecting it to be pretty nonchalant, and you somewhat just ruined the game for me.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Rookersh posted:

Dude, rewrite this spoiler. I moused over it expecting it to be pretty nonchalant, and you somewhat just ruined the game for me.

Same. loving hell. :smith:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Really? I thought that would have been a given. Oh. Still, for spoiler fans, In the credits there is talk of re-opening the old Elizabeth Arkham Asylum. Mind blown, I know.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
And I just ran into the bug. How the hell this got through QA? I notice that batman's hands are clipping when he holds onto the vent. I'm noticing certain animations get stuck if there is something in the way.

I almost couldn't finish a fight because of the goons got stuck behind the chair and wall.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I know I'm going to get hit hard for this but.. I don't really like this game. Hell, I think I hate it.

Part of it is the keyboard controls but another part is that the PC port is kind of poo poo. I also hate how finicky combat is. I keep trying to disarm a gun wielding dude but I end up punching the guy next to him. Basically as long as there is a gun in combat I'm hosed. This brings me to the next point. The skill point system. I hate how so many useful abilities are locked behind other less useful abilities. I don't want gobs of health when I know disarm and destroy could solve half my problems with the game. I also feel like there are too many gadgets in the game. What's the point of concussion grenades? All they do is make enemies fire their gun wildly. Why would I use that?

There's also far too many enemies in the map. It gets to the point where I'm just running from combat constantly because of how boring it is to fight through a bunch of trash mobs to take down a transmitter. I never thought I would get tired of Batman's combat system but this game absolutely pushed me to my limit as to how much I can take.

I just don't feel like Batman. I feel like I'm stumbling through every encounter fighting the lovely keyboard controls (I really should buy a gamepad at this point, shouldn't I?) and wandering around stumbling over poo poo. The camera flailing everywhere doesn't help either. Maybe it'll click at some point. Maybe I suck at adapting to the changes.

I really hope it's just me though, it feels like a good game is underneath all this but I can't seem to get to it.

I absolutely adored Arkham city/asylum and 100% both. I had hoped that this one would be just as good and didn't care if it was a re-skin and whatnot. Now I'm not so sure.

*edit* Just remembered a question I had. Does anyone else have a bug where they cannot counter martial artist enemies? Every time I click the right mouse button I just go into batarang aiming mode and get hit. It's only these enemies that cause this glitch to happen.

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 26, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Red Mundus posted:

There's also far too many enemies in the map. It gets to the point where I'm just running from combat constantly because of how boring it is to fight through a bunch of trash mobs to take down a transmitter. I never thought I would get tired of Batman's combat system but this game absolutely pushed me to my limit as to how much I can take.not so sure.

You don't have to fight those guys most of the time.

Otherwise it really sounds like a gamepad might solve your problem and the PC port is a bit poo poo which is unfortunate.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

Red Mundus posted:

(I really should buy a gamepad at this point, shouldn't I?)

Absolutely. It was one of the best PC gaming related purchases I've made. Especially with the amount of effort put into the mostly crappy PC ports nowadays.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The keyboard controls were never a great fit for the arkham games. Sure, they worked, but they weren't a patch on the pad. This remains the case. Haven't seen anything beyond keyboard controls thats a PC specific fault. Runs great, looks great. Seems a solid enough version. (With the Physx stuff looking great, I'd say definitive version)

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

Absolutely. It was one of the best PC gaming related purchases I've made. Especially with the amount of effort put into the mostly crappy PC ports nowadays.

I know this is, and always will be, the right answer but it always irks me that developers will release a pc game with poo poo keyboard controls. At the very least let me bind things to the extra mouse buttons I have!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ShineDog posted:

The keyboard controls were never a great fit for the arkham games. Sure, they worked, but they weren't a patch on the pad. This remains the case. Haven't seen anything beyond keyboard controls thats a PC specific fault. Runs great, looks great. Seems a solid enough version. (With the Physx stuff looking great, I'd say definitive version)

Well, except the bugs. Really can't wait for that patch so I can do that tower.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Well, except the bugs. Really can't wait for that patch so I can do that tower.

But thats not PC specific is it?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

ShineDog posted:

I've heard that it is but I may have heard wrong. Still an odd thing to have in a finished game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ShineDog posted:

I haven't heard it reported from anyone on a console version. I haven't tried it myself because I don't want to get locked into a bugged area but everyone it happens to seems to be on the PC.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

What the hell? I'm trying to unfuck the radio tower near GCPD, and once I hack the terminal thing, Riddler locks the window, so I pull down the grate above with the batclaw, shoot a line up there... and Batman suddenly forgets how to enter a loving vent. What the gently caress do I do now? Nothing makes him actually loving get into the god damned vent, and that's the only loving way out.

EDIT: Specifically this loving one. He won't go through into the vent. loving nothing I do gets him into that god damned vent. The only thing I can do is grapple up there, and drop back down. Batman went full loving retard.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 26, 2013

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Yeah, this "DONT DO BURNLEY TOWER" needs to be in the OP in big letters.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So how big is this game compared to Far Cry 3? And besides the radio towers, are their "fortresses" or some kind or another to take over and then they stay yours? That's the kind of poo poo I love in games.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Just geeked out a little when the BatSuit Chamber (the thing that lets you change outfits) had me press my finger to the gamepad for Bruce Wayne's fingerprint to access it. Gimmicky? Absolutely. Adds something to it for me though

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'm trying really had to love this game and it keeps doing things to change my mind. I had to install it to my 360 HD because it wouldn't start at all, then it crashed on me twice. Now I just finished an amazing boss fight, after several tries, and the game crashes on me again. It's so drat frustrating.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Okay, I checked it on the PS3 version. The tower works fine there.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Samurai Sanders posted:

So how big is this game compared to Far Cry 3? And besides the radio towers, are their "fortresses" or some kind or another to take over and then they stay yours? That's the kind of poo poo I love in games.

Uh since when has Batman games ever did that?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shindragon posted:

Uh since when has Batman games ever did that?
They never had radio towers to hack either, and that's apparently a feature all games made in Montreal have. Another such feature is forts to stealthily kill everyone in and then they're yours, so I wondered if that was here too.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
For people getting stuck in Burnley Tower, you can at least use Fast Travel to escape. It's how I got out.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Samurai Sanders posted:

They never had radio towers to hack either, and that's apparently a feature all games made in Montreal have. Another such feature is forts to stealthily kill everyone in and then they're yours, so I wondered if that was here too.

Yeah no territories to conquer in this game. The Radio Towers are basically because of a certain villain.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Gunder posted:

Found a show stopping bug in one of the side quests. When you're sorting out the radio tower in the same part of the city that contains the GCPD building, you enter a small room, the only exit from which is a small vent high up in the ceiling. After bat-clawing the vent cover off, you grapple up into the vent only to find that you can't actually make Batman climb up and into the vent, instead he just clings uselessly to the outside of the vent like he's hanging from a ledge. Tried reloading the game several times, same result every time. Luckily, it doesn't checkpoint you as soon as you enter that room, other wise i'd be stuck in that little room until they patch the game. As it stands I was able to reload the last checkpoint and just continue on with the main story line.

MrBadidea posted:

Just got hit by this. I spent about 10 minutes farting around checking the keyboard bindings trying to see if I was missing something obvious. Then I spent another 5 minutes wondering if this was some rear end in a top hat anti-piracy showstopper, like what was used in Asylum, and the game was flaking out thinking my legit Steam copy was :filez:

Quoting this from a few pages back because I just ran into this one, in case anyone else does and is wondering what the gently caress Batman's problem is.
Fortunately you can fast travel to get out of there.

edit: derp beaten two posts up :downs:

raditts fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 26, 2013

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Anyone know how big the download for this game is on the WiiU? I can't seem to find it online and the store won't tell me until I've already put money on the system.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I may have some criticisms of Origins, but god drat if the Deathstroke fight wasn't some of the most fun I've had in a video game. :magical:

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Based on what I've heard from reviewers, it seems like they literally took Arkham City, changed the name to Arkham Origins and made absolutely no other changes, but called it a different game. Is this what happened?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

DrunkPanda posted:

Based on what I've heard from reviewers, it seems like they literally took Arkham City, changed the name to Arkham Origins and made absolutely no other changes, but called it a different game. Is this what happened?

Yes, it is literally the same game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Does it actually re-use some or all of the city model itself?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

DrunkPanda posted:

Batman's suit is also slightly different. They also took out some of the gadgets like the batarang which sounds bad but honestly it's great and adds a new layer of challenge to the game.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Does it actually re-use some or all of the city model itself?

Yeah, half of the map is Arkham City before it was walled off.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah, half of the map is Arkham City before it was walled off.

It's similar, but not exactly the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well, it doesn't matter much to me anyway, the city model itself was almost completely forgettable to me anyway. Which is another problem.

• Locked thread