Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!

Rabbit Hill posted:

But...but....they didn't speak Middle English in 1570!

This is the only valid critique of the use of Middle English in this episode. I'm a senior at a lovely tiny college in Oklahoma and even I learned enough Middle English by my second year to understand everything both Ichabod and the boy said. Given, I have an idactic(photographic) memory, but so does he.

It also pisses me off that this show uses the wrong word for our mental condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Mr.Drf posted:

This is the only valid critique of the use of Middle English in this episode. I'm a senior at a lovely tiny college in Oklahoma and even I learned enough Middle English by my second year to understand everything both Ichabod and the boy said. Given, I have an idactic(photographic) memory, but so does he.

It also pisses me off that this show uses the wrong word for our mental condition.

Eidetic? That's the standard name for it...

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

Eidetic? That's the standard name for it...

My phone changed the spelling for some reason but other than some psychologist who worked for the school I went to, I've never ever once had anyone use the correct term. Even Ichabod says "photographic memory".

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Mr.Drf posted:

You do not have an eidetic memory. Firstly the very existence of it is highly questionable, secondly you don't even know how to spell it.

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

Midnight City posted:

You do not have an eidetic memory. Firstly the very existence of it is highly questionable, secondly you don't even know how to spell it.

I really don't have anything to prove to you, my point is that he used the wrong term and a network like fox should have researchers good enough to catch it.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Mr.Drf posted:

My phone changed the spelling for some reason but other than some psychologist who worked for the school I went to, I've never ever once had anyone use the correct term. Even Ichabod says "photographic memory".

Nope.

Ichabod Crane: My memory's eidetic. I retain what I see with near-perfect precision.
Lt. Abbie Mills: You have a photographic memory?

Mr.Drf posted:

I really don't have anything to prove to you, my point is that he used the wrong term and a network like fox should have researchers good enough to catch it.

:laffo:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I mean I've watched Supernatural for a long time now and I've never even met someone else who watches it in real life. I wouldn't even be aware that there were crazy fans out there if not for SA talking about it. I'm almost 30 years old and I have a job and everything, I pretty much just watch the show and that's the end of it. What other fans are doing doesn't really ever enter my mind.
You wouldn't?

"Look, I may be a fan, but I'm not stupid."
"It's real."
"I knew it!"

The show itself brings the shippers up, even the bro-cest stuff.

"Do they know we're brothers?"
"That doesn't seem to matter."

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

Midnight City posted:

Nope.

Ichabod Crane: My memory's eidetic. I retain what I see with near-perfect precision.

:laffo:

I'm talking about the scene in "The Lesser Key of Solomon". Also the existence of my condition is simply disputed, not in anyway disproven.

Here is an article that is the closest thing I can find to an account of how I see things.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/quora/2013/07/18/what_is_it_like_to_have_a_photographic_memory.html

This is my last comment back to you. Please don't turn your knee jerk reaction towards anyone with a different opinion than you into a derail of this thread. Just talk about the show.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
This is gonna be a long three weeks.

Things I want to find out is what Katrina is hiding from Crane, why Abbie, not Jenny is the second witness even though both of them are being spooked by Moloch, and if we'll have a shopping scene with Abbie and Ichabod with the latter getting lost inside a Wal-Mart.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Mr.Drf posted:

I'm talking about the scene in "The Lesser Key of Solomon". Also the existence of my condition is simply disputed, not in anyway disproven.

Here is an article that is the closest thing I can find to an account of how I see things.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/quora/2013/07/18/what_is_it_like_to_have_a_photographic_memory.html

This is my last comment back to you. Please don't turn your knee jerk reaction towards anyone with a different opinion than you into a derail of this thread. Just talk about the show.

:rolleyes: The taking my ball and going home approach, how original.

Since we both know you're actually reading this and just seething in impotent nerd rage I don't mind pointing out how stupid you look linking a blog post as proof you have 'condition' that has never been proven to even exist, well not when I can actually link something that was actually published by the same place you just tried to piggyback your claim onto.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2006/04/kaavya_syndrome.single.html

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Midnight City posted:

Nope.

That's what I thought it was - why would a man who predates daguerrotypes describe his memory as photographic? Mr.Drf must have misremembered it.

Purno
Aug 6, 2008

Tom Tucker posted:

I thought for sure the flowers were some sort of anti-black-death herb based only on how long they showed her awkwardly avoiding eye contact with that girl.

Actually it was the same flower Crane talked about earlier that shivers up for days at human touch. But the one the girl holds looks completely fine (since she's actually dead :ssh:). I thought that was a pretty cool little detail.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Purno posted:

Actually it was the same flower Crane talked about earlier that shivers up for days at human touch. But the one the girl holds looks completely fine (since she's actually dead :ssh:). I thought that was a pretty cool little detail.

And people call this a dumb show.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

mr.capps posted:

And people call this a dumb show.

It is a very smart stupid show and I love it for it.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

El Tortuga posted:

Not to bring the fandom back up, but you either ship IchLanda, or you get the gently caress out.

Amen.

Things I want:

* some more ghost sheriff visits. I love me some threatening, authoritarian Clancy Brown, but this kindly, fatherly Clancy Brown is nice, too. More sheriff voiceovers, too. :allears: (<--literally :haw:)

* more moments of Crane boggling at 21st century progress per episode. I can understand why the show doesn't want to lean too hard on that and make it tiresome, but at the same time, most of the fun of using the character of a resurrected Ichabod Crane as your guide to the apocalypse instead of some random visionary is the fish-out-of-time/water, so you might as well milk that for all its worth.

* more Jenny.

* more for Katrina to do than just stand in foggy glades looking wistful and cryptic.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet

Compendium posted:

This is gonna be a long three weeks.

Things I want to find out is what Katrina is hiding from Crane, why Abbie, not Jenny is the second witness even though both of them are being spooked by Moloch, and if we'll have a shopping scene with Abbie and Ichabod with the latter getting lost inside a Wal-Mart.

I'm guessing because Biblically speaking (or at least what little I know about Bible stories), many of the people chosen to do things for god were not always ready and willing and had reservations, like what if people think I'm crazy.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Purno posted:

:aaa:

Well played, Sleepy Hollow

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Rabbit Hill posted:

Things I want:

* some more ghost sheriff visits. I love me some threatening, authoritarian Clancy Brown, but this kindly, fatherly Clancy Brown is nice, too. More sheriff voiceovers, too. :allears: (<--literally :haw:)

* more moments of Crane boggling at 21st century progress per episode. I can understand why the show doesn't want to lean too hard on that and make it tiresome, but at the same time, most of the fun of using the character of a resurrected Ichabod Crane as your guide to the apocalypse instead of some random visionary is the fish-out-of-time/water, so you might as well milk that for all its worth.

* more Jenny.

* more for Katrina to do than just stand in foggy glades looking wistful and cryptic.

If we are talking about things we want more of, personally I want them to draw ideas from not only the american revolution but all parts of history. I just think it would be great to have Nero or Cleopatra to show up randomly in some form.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Rabbit Hill posted:

Amen.

Things I want:

* more Jenny.

I want a long drawn out wizard battle, then Abbie comes by and just shoots the bad wizard.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 19, 2013

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr.Drf posted:

Midnight City posted:

:rolleyes: The taking my ball and going home approach, how original.

Since we both know you're actually reading this and just seething in impotent nerd rage I don't mind pointing out how stupid you look linking a blog post as proof you have 'condition' that has never been proven to even exist, well not when I can actually link something that was actually published by the same place you just tried to piggyback your claim onto.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2006/04/kaavya_syndrome.single.html

Shut up. Both of you. Nobody cares.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Random Stranger posted:

One thing I forgot to mention.

Loo-tenant again this episode. I demand Leff-tenant!

I disagree, I hope he starts saying Hessian correctly too :colbert:

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

cool kids inc. posted:

Now now, lets not say things we can't take back. "Bugs" bad maybe, but "racist truck"? Nah man, that's just too harsh.

Whoa now, Bugs is way worse than racist truck. :colbert:

Compendium posted:

What guarantee do we have that Katrina is right about Ichabod being the first witness, though? She could easily be misinterpreting the passage in Revelation. Although I guess it's possible that Ichabod and Abby are the witnesses and Jenny is someone else. There is a woman in Revelation who gives birth to a son "destined to rule all the nations with an iron rod" and then they are chased by Satan (as a dragon) for years before Michael and the archangels kill the dragon and his buddies.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

You wouldn't?

"Look, I may be a fan, but I'm not stupid."
"It's real."
"I knew it!"

The show itself brings the shippers up, even the bro-cest stuff.

"Do they know we're brothers?"
"That doesn't seem to matter."

The best part was the 2 Sam and Dean cosplayers who had to dig a grave and it cuts to them sweating and exhausted barely halfway through "I never know how exhausting this would be"

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Sometimes you're surprised when you find out someone was on another show you watched. This was one of those times.

No surprise though. Everything that surrounds Quinn is forgettable. Lets hope her role here ends up much better. As though it hasn't already.

e. Replaced image.

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 19, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Your image is broken. But I know what you're referring to - she played Nadia the stripper in Season 7 of Dexter. I was pretty surprised when I realized this too.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Your image is broken. But I know what you're referring to - she played Nadia the stripper in Season 7 of Dexter. I was pretty surprised when I realized this too.

OK, this is odd - the image does appear broken when I look at the thread on the Awful app, but I just looked on my PC and it's just fine. What would cause that?

e. Used a different version of the image, it seems ok now.

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 19, 2013

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

BreakAtmo posted:

OK, this is odd - the image does appear broken when I look at the thread on the Awful app, but I just looked on my PC and it's just fine. What would cause that?
Because you have it on your cache, so it 'knows' what the image is supposed to be. Basically, the link is not authorized for people who didn't already access it the 'normal' way.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Not a spoiler, but a flashy, strobe-y gif. Also, a little scary.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
This show has some high quality monsters, that is for sure.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
Hey, there's a marathon of the first five episodes on FX today (Oct. 26), starting at 1pm if there's anyone who needs to catch up or wants to watch again.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I keep seeing Sleepy Hollow being mentioned in reference to "new broadcast strategies" since they are doing a 13 episode season like on AMC. Is it getting 13 eps because of some forward thinking strategy or because Fox is just throwing Hail Marys left and right?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

pentyne posted:

I keep seeing Sleepy Hollow being mentioned in reference to "new broadcast strategies" since they are doing a 13 episode season like on AMC. Is it getting 13 eps because of some forward thinking strategy or because Fox is just throwing Hail Marys left and right?
I think they're supposed to get a full order next season, so my guess it's part of some larger strategy to eventually replace American Idol and X Factor.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Josh Lyman posted:

I think they're supposed to get a full order next season, so my guess it's part of some larger strategy to eventually replace American Idol and X Factor.

No, next year is only 13 episodes. I think the idea may have something to do with the fact that Kevin Bacon doesn't want to do full 22-episode seasons of The Following, so they're looking for something to trade off with it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DivisionPost posted:

No, next year is only 13 episodes. I think the idea may have something to do with the fact that Kevin Bacon doesn't want to do full 22-episode seasons of The Following, so they're looking for something to trade off with it.
Isn't The Following a flaming dumpster fire though?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Josh Lyman posted:

Isn't The Following a flaming dumpster fire though?

Well yes, but it's a flaming dumpster fire that people watch. The finale pulled a 2.7 in the 18-49 demo (already solid in this day and age); after DVR increases, which is apparently becoming a major network strategy these days, that number inflates to a 4.1. So it's a hit, to be sure.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DivisionPost posted:

Well yes, but it's a flaming dumpster fire that people watch. The finale pulled a 2.7 in the 18-49 demo (already solid in this day and age); after DVR increases, which is apparently becoming a major network strategy these days, that number inflates to a 4.1. So it's a hit, to be sure.
Ugh, that's so gross. I thought their viewership went off a cliff.

With that in mind, however, the Sleepy Hollow episode orders make perfect sense.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I have no problem with 13 episode seasons for any network show if two things happen:

1) we get the quality pound for pound that we do with the short seasoned British and cable shows who have done this for years
2) we get more new shows ie instead of 1 show in a timeslot in the fall, stretched to end in April or May, we get a fairly straight shot of 13 eps then a new show premiering in Jan or Feb, and maybe even a 3rd show in the summer

Shows back in the 50s and 60s would do 30+ episodes a season, so you ran from Sept-May with mostly new episodes, then just a few weeks of repeats in the summer. Then they pared it down to the low 20s, now less and less but they are still in that "new Fall Season, summer repeats" dynamic. And a show with 19 or 20 episodes is stretched out to last all that time with repeats, pre-emptions for holidays and special programmings, etc.

We have seen more mid season replacements in recent years, but I'd love to see more different series of shorter runs all year. Of course as long as a repeat of Big Bang Theory or Modern Family will pull in higher numbers than most replacement shows in it's spot, it behooves the networks to run those same 20 episodes for 40 weeks a year. So there's a lot of inertia to overcome.

Edit: I write post. :downs:

Astroman fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 26, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Astroman posted:

I have problem with 13 episode seasons for any network show if two things happen:

1) we get the quality pound for pound that we do with the short seasoned British and cable shows who have done this for years
2) we get more new shows ie instead of 1 show in a timeslot in the fall, stretched to end in April or May, we get a fairly straight shot of 13 eps then a new show premiering in Jan or Feb, and maybe even a 3rd show in the summer

Shows back in the 50s and 60s would do 30+ episodes a season, so you ran from Sept-May with mostly new episodes, then just a few weeks of repeats in the summer. Then they pared it down to the low 20s, now less and less but they are still in that "new Fall Season, summer repeats" dynamic. And a show with 19 or 20 episodes is stretched out to last all that time with repeats, pre-emptions for holidays and special programmings, etc.

We have seen more mid season replacements in recent years, but I'd love to see more different series of shorter runs all year. Of course as long as a repeat of Big Bang Theory or Modern Family will pull in higher numbers than most replacement shows in it's spot, it behooves the networks to run those same 20 episodes for 40 weeks a year. So there's a lot of inertia to overcome.
I think your opening sentence is missing some words since it caused me to be confused by the argument you're apparently making in the rest of your post. ;)

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Just watched the pilot again on the FX marathon. Headless Horseman with a shotgun and assault rifle is still awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

pentyne posted:

I think I remember reading that the show creators had the option of either a "full season" order (22 eps or whatever) or fewer eps and an instant renewal for a 2nd season, and they went for instant renewal.

• Locked thread