Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Is there a way to dodge killer croc's attacks? I kind of hate how this game doesn't teach you any of the moves and you have to figure it out yourself, i.e. doing that dive through the glass at the execution chamber. I know in theory what I'm supposed to do, but not how to do it... I'm assuming there is some sort of dodge button, since I can't counter his attacks and the dive is too slow to avoid getting hit by him.

edit: Nevermind, apparently dive is the dodge thing and I just wasn't doing it early enough.

DrunkPanda fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Doctor Albatross posted:

For those of you stuck with the vent ledge bug: this works!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkDLaojdCCw

It took me about fifteen minutes of trying, but eventually he flew up into the air and over the fence. Phew.

P.S.: turns out the Penguin Arms Cache is directly behind the tower. I thought it was somewhere on it.

holy crap, this works!
Thanks so much!

Your First Sim
Oct 21, 2008

WHY DID YOU KILL ME

Veotax posted:

So, Deadshot: how do you get his sidequest to trigger? I've seen people saying that you get told about it after leaving the Steel Mill after beating Copperhead, but all that happened was Batman started tracking Electrocutioner. Nothing about Deadshot.

Alfred should have called you about a distress signal after you leave the Steel Mill. It leads to Deadshot.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

DrunkPanda posted:

Is there a way to dodge killer croc's attacks? I kind of hate how this game doesn't teach you any of the moves and you have to figure it out yourself, i.e. doing that dive through the glass at the execution chamber. I know in theory what I'm supposed to do, but not how to do it... I'm assuming there is some sort of dodge button, since I can't counter his attacks and the dive is too slow to avoid getting hit by him.

edit: Nevermind, apparently dive is the dodge thing and I just wasn't doing it early enough.

Annoying for new players I'm sure, but for those that have played the old games it's great that your hand isn't being held too often when it comes to going over old mechanics.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008

Doctor Albatross posted:

It's in a shipping crate hanging above the dip in the boat. You'll need to pull the doors off with the Batclaw.

Thanks for that. Man, I never would have figured that one out.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
I was sorta with everyone on the combat timing being slightly off compared to what I was used to- especially counters - but then I switched from Hard to Normal. There is a huge difficulty difference (duh). That said, it sounds like a lot of you are having problems with timing AND bugs, but the bugs seem to be mostly PC. I guess the point of this post is that on "normal" mode I'd say fighting feels like 95% the same and as tight as Arkham City, for me.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Your First Sim posted:

Alfred should have called you about a distress signal after you leave the Steel Mill. It leads to Deadshot.

Hm, did't get that. According to my stats page I'm 90% through the story but I still have three Most Wanteds left to unlock. I'll try going back to the steel milland leaving again.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I can't tell if the fight against Anarky is poorly programmed or if it's clever political commentary.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
Are the people not knowing what the controls are playing on Hard? I'm playing on Normal and it's been telling me pretty much anything, including how to dive through that window.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh my God the Deathstroke fight was the best, it was incredibly satisfying to complete that, especially given motherfucking Deathstroke of all people going,"What ARE you!?! :gonk:" after you kick his rear end :allears:

I'm still early in the game but so far this is a more than worthy continuation of the quality of the previous two games, which is a huge relief.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So uh, what are the buttons on the 360 pad to do the quick versions of item use like the rope launcher or explosives in combat again? I know there's a move list of sorts in the skills menu but I can't seem to find them. Only played the previous games with mouse and keyboard.

And like others have said, other than bugs like the poo poo in Burnley Tower this is an awesome Arkham. The recycled parts of the map feel like Saints Row 2 and 4 in that they are just different enough that it feels fresh.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Jerusalem posted:

Oh my God the Deathstroke fight was the best, it was incredibly satisfying to complete that, especially given motherfucking Deathstroke of all people going,"What ARE you!?! :gonk:" after you kick his rear end :allears:

I'm still early in the game but so far this is a more than worthy continuation of the quality of the previous two games, which is a huge relief.
Yeah feeling the same, I was incredibly skeptic about 'leaving' the Arkham storyline with a prequel but this is really holding up so far. Deathstroke fight was incredibly satisfying and it felt pretty natural, I got into the groove of the fight pretty much instantly and only hosed it up once on Hard.

Is it just me or is there a ton more fights in enclosed spaces with a large group of goons? I think I'm nailing that down to be my biggest difficulty so far, there's no real leeway to evade to :smith:

e:

Lodin posted:

So uh, what are the buttons on the 360 pad to do the quick versions of item use like the rope launcher or explosives in combat again? I know there's a move list of sorts in the skills menu but I can't seem to find them. Only played the previous games with mouse and keyboard.
Left Trigger + B = Concussion
Left Trigger + Y = Grapple
Left Trigger + X = Explosive Gel
Quick tap Left Trigger = Batarang
Not sure if it's in Origins but in City you quick-tapped Right trigger twice to throw ice grenades

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 26, 2013

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

So that glitch to get past the PC tower bug works, and is hilarious. I wonder how he even figured it out.

Lodin posted:

And like others have said, other than bugs like the poo poo in Burnley Tower this is an awesome Arkham. The recycled parts of the map feel like Saints Row 2 and 4 in that they are just different enough that it feels fresh.

LT + Y - Quick Grapple
LT + X - Quick Explosive Gel
LT + B - Quick [item you get early]
RT (double tap) - Quick [item you get later]

edit: fixed

Hashy fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 26, 2013

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
Ok I'm loving the hell out of the game but whoever decided on those horrible loving camera angles on the Mad Hatter sequence should be shot. That could've been very enjoyable otherwise.

flamingdawg
May 25, 2006
Gonna wait till this is on sale for five pounds.

e: ie, xmas

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
I did the Burnley Tower bypass trick, except the door covering the terminal is unusable :(

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I saw this mentioned a few times in the last ten pages, but no solution. I just finished up with meeting Penguin for the first time, and did the mini Anarky sidequest. Now I apparently have no objective. It just says "Find Black Mask" but there isn't a marker anywhere. Where in the world am I supposed to go? Restarting the game didn't seem to fix anything, like it did with previous bugs.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Murodese posted:

I did the Burnley Tower bypass trick, except the door covering the terminal is unusable :(

Coming in on the last page here, what's the bypass?

Also, I've found another bug - once you 'beat' the game - and this is for the PC - exit and restart. When I came back after watching the credits - I was incapable of initiating interrogations and/or performing takedowns. Once I exited the game and reentered it, everything was peachy again.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

Ragequit posted:

I saw this mentioned a few times in the last ten pages, but no solution. I just finished up with meeting Penguin for the first time, and did the mini Anarky sidequest. Now I apparently have no objective. It just says "Find Black Mask" but there isn't a marker anywhere. Where in the world am I supposed to go? Restarting the game didn't seem to fix anything, like it did with previous bugs.

Where to go:
Lacey Tower. It's at the bottom of the map, sort of in the middle. I don't really understand why there's no marker, since basically every mission in the series has always at least said which building to go to.

How to get in:
Again, this is really vague and I don't get why. You need to fight the SWAT guys on low building next to the tower, which triggers a cutscene in which the door at the back of the tower is opened.

Split that up into two separate spoilers so you have a chance to figure it out for yourself, if you like. :)

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Coming in on the last page here, what's the bypass?

Also, I've found another bug - once you 'beat' the game - and this is for the PC - exit and restart. When I came back after watching the credits - I was incapable of initiating interrogations and/or performing takedowns. Once I exited the game and reentered it, everything was peachy again.

Here ya go. Not my video, thanks goes to a kind person on the Steam forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkDLaojdCCw

Doctor Albatross fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 26, 2013

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

flamingdawg posted:

Gonna wait till this is on sale for five pounds.

e: ie, xmas

Whew, thanks for keeping us posted.

Somebody mentioned the Shiva encounter earlier. If I'm already past the bank encounter with Joker, is there still a way to trigger it?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Doctor Albatross posted:

Here ya go. Not my video, thanks goes to a kind person on the Steam forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk

The link got cropped.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

Oops, it's been fixed. Enjoy!

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Decided I didn't care about the multiplayer, so I got the Wii U version for $10 cheaper. Shame they took out some of the Gamepad interactivity from Armoured Edition, like doing hacking by hand. But I still love having the map open at all time - I was able to clear out all the relays in an area really quickly without having to pause out to a map screen all the time.

Oh my god, I laughed so hard at Mad Hatter's invitation.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I loved that. Both the fight and the post-fight scene. I wish they had replayable boss fights. And I agree, I have a few minor quibbles but overall I'm really enjoying it so far.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Doctor Albatross posted:

Oops, it's been fixed. Enjoy!

Nice. Given how pernicious this bug seems to be, I'm sure they'll 'fix' it early next week, and I've still got a fair amount to clear, as well as at least get double-batarangs, since I never got around to using the damned things except when necessary, and a few of the Riddler puzzles require quick-fire/multi-fire, it looks like.

Jerusalem posted:

I actually didn't get to hear a good portion of Shiva's dialog, since I was too busy being proactive in kicking her rear end before I learned she had some "hand you your spleen" special. The single-most difficult boss in the game has to be Copperhead, though. "Use the sonic thing-a-ma-jigs to distinguish between real and fake!" ...yeah, great idea, aiming and throwing stuff when you're getting cut to ribbons by phantoms.

Maybe if the phantoms didn't do any *damage* it'd be different, but since they *do*, just keep beating the gently caress out of them until you find the real one, then whale on her.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 26, 2013

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Finished the story last night. It is far better than Arkham City in that regard and I think a more solid game overall. I plan on jumping right back in with New Game Plus. I played on Hard and eventually got acclimated to it, but I'm still wonky on dodging charging attacks.

E. I love this VA because he makes Batman sound genuinely pissed all of the time.

N. Senada fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 26, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

N. Senada posted:

Finished the story last night. It is far better than Arkham City in that regard and I think a more solid game overall. I plan on jumping right back in with New Game Plus. I played on Hard and eventually got acclimated to it, but I'm still wonky on dodging charging attacks.

E. I love this VA because he makes Batman sound genuinely pissed all of the time.

If there's any qualms I had with the story it's that I was surprised it ended so nonchalantly. It actually surprised me when the credits started rolling, because everything leading up to it felt 'mid-game-ish' to me. That, and I felt a little cheated that the 'final fight' with Joker was mostly a quicktime event-fest.

It's almost as if after the final Bane fight they were 'tired' or thought they couldn't put another ~hard~ boss fight so soon after another.

But yeah, the VA sounded like he was going for Kevin Conroy meets Christian Bale, and I thought Troy Baker did a great job channeling Hamill.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks, Zsinjeh and Hashy.

I loving loved the Deathstroke fight. Probably my faourite boss in the series so far. Before that every major fight in the game was either against a big dumb brute or some rear end in a top hat who uses magic or other bullshit powers. Against Slade it felt more like Batman meeting on terms with an equal and it was sorely lacking from the games.

Also, I'm pretty sure this guy has to be dead and I'm the worst Batman.

http://i.imgur.com/MvOw7kr.jpg

E: poo poo, sorry. For some reason I thought SA had implemented resizing of images by now.

Lodin fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 26, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Also, has anyone else noticed how hosed over the counter trigger seems to be? I'm pretty decent at nailing the click when the opportunity comes up, but it seems like it'll still fail an annoying amount of times out of 'x' number of times, and I'm using a rather new mouse.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Use the sonic thing-a-ma-jigs to distinguish between real and fake!" ...yeah, great idea, aiming and throwing stuff when you're getting cut to ribbons by phantoms.

Don't forget you can quickfire them. gently caress knows what the kb controls are, but the controller buttons are LT/L2 + B/Circle.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Murodese posted:

Don't forget you can quickfire them. gently caress knows what the kb controls are, but the controller buttons are LT/L2 + B/Circle.

It's kind of a moot point now, but after failing quite a few times I was simply able to battle through the phantoms.

I also think the shock gloves are almost a cheat, even at low levels. Once you upgrade them there's almost no reason why you should ever lose any random fight ever again.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Whats the deal with this power quick fire gadget? I unlocked it but it didn't explain what it was as far as I could tell!

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
For those of you having troubles with counter timing, difficult combat and dodging, all of this is related to how close the camera is. In Arkham city the camera would pull back in large fights to point of almost being bird's eye view at times but in origins it doesn't and it makes a HUGE difference. Go back to City and play the large mob challenge fights then go play origins and see what a huge difference it makes.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES
so I haven't tried it yet, but what is the deal with multiplayer? Do you get to Batman?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DrNutt posted:

With the martial artists, there's an attack where there are two distinct spidey sense lines rather than the usual one. You have to hit counter twice to counter them. Yeah, it's hard to see. No, it's not actually explained anywhere in the game. I had to figure it out my drat self.

It explains it to you when you first encounter them, it even goes into slo-mo so you can see what to do.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, has anyone else noticed how hosed over the counter trigger seems to be? I'm pretty decent at nailing the click when the opportunity comes up, but it seems like it'll still fail an annoying amount of times out of 'x' number of times, and I'm using a rather new mouse.

Yeah, definitely happening to me where I get hit even if I mash Y when a guy has spidey senses over his head but I can't tell if it's buggy or just one of the following:

- Guy offscreen also trying to hit me and I didn't hit the counter button enough times (I've been hit by some motherfucker who Gumbys in from offscreen to punch me so many times it's loving ridiculous)

- Less invincibility frames for certain moves in this game vs. Arkham City (the cape stun seems to have a much smaller AOE, for one)

- Can't cancel out of certain moves to counter as easily as in Arkham City

Veotax
May 16, 2006

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Whats the deal with this power quick fire gadget? I unlocked it but it didn't explain what it was as far as I could tell!

It just means that quick fire gadgets get a damage boost when you're in that 'rage' mode (when the screen goes slightly red and distorted and Batman starts moving super fast).

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Whelp, just got to a boss battle where I have to dodge over the bosses head but the dodge button doesn't work properly! Good job Devs! Also just discovered that the game will sometimes randomly reset parts of your key-bindings when you load it up.

I think this game broke me. I have no desire to play after all the bugs and bullshit difficulty changes. Between the camera, poo poo not working right and bullshit encounters you can barely respond to, I have no drive to continue.

raditts posted:

It explains it to you when you first encounter them, it even goes into slo-mo so you can see what to do.

I never got this. It would've helped immensely during fights but I never got the slow-mo tutorial. Probably because I got hit off-screen by something and it canceled the explanation. I've had that happen before during fights too!

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.

Slayer1597 posted:

so I haven't tried it yet, but what is the deal with multiplayer? Do you get to Batman?

1 guy gets to Batman, another Robin. Then 6 other dudes are split between Bane/Joker goons and play capture points between themselves.

It seems like it could be fun with people but I keep getting AFK guys and quitters :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Slayer1597 posted:

My very first game dropped me in as Batman and it was pretty fun. It's pretty satisfying to get takedowns on mooks that are being controlled by actual people, though if the team is smart enough to stick together it's pretty difficult. Playing as a henchman is nothing special, but it was pretty satisfying to kill Batman, Robin, and the Joker in the second game I played as a Bane henchman. Also the customization options are pretty deep, and give you a decent amount of cosmetic variety even before you start unlocking things.

• Locked thread