Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

DrNutt posted:

Try restarting the game entirely, I was stuck there until I did that. And be real careful getting on that thing because if you dive into the water and have to restart it'll probably gently caress up again. Physics!

Already tried that, didn't work. Guess I'll try a couple more times before giving up entirely. They better patch this poo poo soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllLuckySevens
Oct 15, 2012

Gonkish posted:

What the hell? I'm trying to unfuck the radio tower near GCPD, and once I hack the terminal thing, Riddler locks the window, so I pull down the grate above with the batclaw, shoot a line up there... and Batman suddenly forgets how to enter a loving vent. What the gently caress do I do now? Nothing makes him actually loving get into the god damned vent, and that's the only loving way out.

EDIT: Specifically this loving one. He won't go through into the vent. loving nothing I do gets him into that god damned vent. The only thing I can do is grapple up there, and drop back down. Batman went full loving retard.

You can fast travel out of the room after hacking the tower. Still, it's a pretty glaring bug.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

CharlestonJew posted:

For question 1, Critical Strike is unlocked from a sidequest later on in the game.
Question 2, sometimes a thug will see you and want to fight even if you're far away from him. This makes the game think you're in combat and disables fast Travel. I dunno how to fix this other than maybe restarting from a checkpoint or fighting every single thug in the city until you can fast travel again.

Speaking of which, I like this game, but it definitely doesn't feel as polished as City did. I've run into several glitches where enemy AI bugs out and they just stand there. (Including Deathstroke) I've had thugs spawn right in front of me on empty rooftops. I did a Dark Knight challenge where you beat a Predator Encounter without using Detective Mode but after I knocked everyone out it didn't register for me, and I cannot seem to do a Hanging Ledge Takedown no matter what I try. The camera's a drat shame too, I can't even count the number of times I got hit by a thug because the camera decided to stick inside a wall.
Thanks man! And yeah, the camera thing is really loving bugging me too. I feel like I'm getting a hang of the combat but then someone just pops out of nowhere with a 60 feet bat swing and clocks me because I couldn't see him coming :argh:

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Zsinjeh posted:

Thanks man! And yeah, the camera thing is really loving bugging me too. I feel like I'm getting a hang of the combat but then someone just pops out of nowhere with a 60 feet bat swing and clocks me because I couldn't see him coming :argh:

Early on it annoyed me but otherwise I was okay. Later though, when enemy types really start to amp up it will absolutely push your resolve to the limit. I ended up rage-quitting when a group of gun-toting enemies gunned me down because I couldn't even see them. I have the same problem with heavy dudes clocking me unawares.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I just beat it. Had tons of fun. It really has the best story of all the three games, but it will be appreciated most by comic book fans. The references to The Man Who Laughs, Killing Joke and Year One are really elegant and well-done. I think the story was so strong because it was pretty simple, they didn't try to force as many twists as they could like in City. The voicework is also top notch.

I like pretty much all the stuff they added to the gameplay. The fights are way tougher than they used to be. You WILL be tested on your skills with clearing larger mobs. Predator stuff was mostly the same but the maps were fun. And boss fights are fantastic, nearly every one is memorable. I didn't care for Riddler collectibles and the lack of puzzles to scan. These were really fun before but I guess they'd be kinda difficult to do in origins story.

There are still technical problems, glitches, bugs. The camera doesn't work as well as in previous games, there's some texture pop-in. The changelog on the first patch will be huge. Skill tree is bad, locking the most valuable upgrades behind secondary ones. And Mad Hatter side mission was just awful, terribly designed and with poor controls.

Judging by negative posts here - if you didn't like previous games that much and are not a big Batman fan don't even bother with this one. It is much more difficult and sometimes even skims on the tutorials.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 26, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terminally Bored posted:

Judging by negative posts here - if you didn't like previous games that much and are not a big Batman fan don't even bother with this one. It is much more difficult and sometimes even skims on the tutorials.

Every single combat mechanic unlocks an optional tutorial at the Batcave once you unlock it, the game even tells you about them and pretty much every gadget requires you to use it to leave the area you get it.

I'm honestly not having the camera problems which may be PC related. I do hate the skill tree though. I sit on upgrade points because I can't unlock the stuff I want to unlock which isn't a fun thing to do

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
It pretty much is PC related. It gets in the way of certain boss fights which causes my death and it is a bit frustrating.

Spoiler for a boss fight

Especially Bane. Goddamn did the camera piss me off. YES LET'S make him charge you automatically. WHAT'S that? Hugging a wall? Camera is going to gently caress with you and you can't see the angle of the hit. BULLSHIT

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3
Just encountered a big PC bug concerning Riddler trophies. If you collect one in new game +, the progress won't register in your normal game but the trophy will disappear. A map icon will still show up but it leads to an empty spot. I just screwed myself out of two data packs and won't be able to collect everything unless this is fixed.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Which tower is it you're supposed to avoid in the PC version until we get a patch?

There's a tower just outside of the Penguins boat that i cleared the thugs from. Riddler started yammering away and I punched a glowing green box just to the side of it.

Riddler said "well that's one way to do it" but the power was still on the gate and I couldn't open it. I couldn't see any wires or boxes with detective vision either. Was the power supposed to go off once I smashed that box?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Kin posted:

Which tower is it you're supposed to avoid in the PC version until we get a patch?

Burnley, the south-east district.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

Kin posted:

There's a tower just outside of the Penguins boat that i cleared the thugs from. Riddler started yammering away and I punched a glowing green box just to the side of it.

Riddler said "well that's one way to do it" but the power was still on the gate and I couldn't open it. I couldn't see any wires or boxes with detective vision either. Was the power supposed to go off once I smashed that box?

1) Burnley tower

2) Check down on the street

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

seal it with a kiss posted:

Just encountered a big PC bug concerning Riddler trophies. If you collect one in new game +, the progress won't register in your normal game but the trophy will disappear. A map icon will still show up but it leads to an empty spot. I just screwed myself out of two data packs and won't be able to collect everything unless this is fixed.

I assume you're talking about Origins here, right?

Stupid question, probably, but I just started a replay of Asylum.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

epmode posted:

I assume you're talking about Origins here, right?

Stupid question, probably, but I just started a replay of Asylum.

Yeah, sorry. The "Enigma data packs".

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
This game is really fun! I think it's probably my favourite too. Only bug I have encountered so far on PC is every now and then there are thugs that are supposed to be KO'd that are still standing up, which ruins combos you can't actually hit them.

Here's an example:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I really wish that punching shields and armored enemies wouldn't stop your combo dead. It wouldn't be so bad if they wouldn't stand right next to other enemies, making it impossible to choose which one gets hit. City had the same problem and it drove me goddamn crazy.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
So is there anything to do in the Bat Cave? All I see is Alfred and training maps which you can get from the main menu. Is there anything else there? And where are the flight challenges?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really wish that punching shields and armored enemies wouldn't stop your combo dead. It wouldn't be so bad if they wouldn't stand right next to other enemies, making it impossible to choose which one gets hit. City had the same problem and it drove me goddamn crazy.

If they're at risk use a different move. Cape has a huge radius.

Jurgan posted:

So is there anything to do in the Bat Cave? All I see is Alfred and training maps which you can get from the main menu. Is there anything else there? And where are the flight challenges?

The bridge. They appear one at a time but are marked on the map.

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPENDING $732.49 ON DIABLO 3 GOLD AND THEN SELLING ALL THE ITEMS AND GOLD FOR $38.27 BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID OF THE TAXES AND IRS

Mitt Romney 2012
click here to find out more

Rookersh posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the best Batman game.

They really actually hit all the reasons I liked these villains in the comics, rather then just adding them to add them, like it felt like they did in City. A good example is comparing the Mad Hatter introduction in both.

I'll be honest and say I never used quickfire/gadgets in combat before, because I never felt like I needed to in Asylum/City. Abusing jump/counter meant you could easily get through all the fights, no problems, even on Hard/NG+. Thanks to the smaller window on Counter, plus the larger number of enemies, and the introduction of not just more enemy types, but also more variety per battle, if I'm not quickfiring when I have the chance, I'm going to be overwhelmed quickly in Origins.

The story is the best of the three. Once again, you can really tell they loved the comics, and actually went to bring the rogues gallery to light properly. While Asylum was great for it's Batman vs Joker storyline, City fell flat as they dragged it out longer and longer to show you more bad guys, who usually only had a line or two before they disappeared again. Origins feels like they took a few of the major villains and gave them a decent amount of time to shine in the campaign, while also keeping other villains in the spotlight through the side quests.

The levels are tighter and more interesting then anything from Asylum/City, and the challenges keep me trying new things I would have otherwise ignored ( Sonic Batarang, perfecting my quickfire, etc. )

The boss fights are all interesting, well done, and in many cases amusing as well, a huge difference from both Asylum/City.

I also really appreciate all the side content. In Asylum I 100%ed that game outside of the Challenge rooms. In City, once I was done with the main quest, I stopped caring. Riddlers trophies where excessive, and none of the other side quests really drove me to complete them. I can see myself doing every Side Quest in Origins however, because I actually want to see how they all end.

This is the game I wanted City to be back when Rocksteady started talking about it.

Agree with all of this. Origins > Asylum > City (imho of course).
So far I've enjoyed the boss fights (leagues ahead of anything in the previous two) Bane particularly felt brutal and the Joker red hood sequence was imaginative/cool.

The combat does require more thought and quick fire gadgets seem pretty eseential. Looking forward to NG+ on I am the night mode, never played either of the other two more than once.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Every time I reload the game:

I hate autosaving so much. :(

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

FutonForensic posted:

Every time I reload the game:

I hate autosaving so much. :(

What does restart checkpoint do in that situation? Does it just reload the last autosave?

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
"I won't stand a chance against that many armed men."

Also, reconfirming that this works for a new page:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkDLaojdCCw
I even managed to do it with a gamepad.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
oh god quote != edit

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
For those of you on NG+, do you start with all upgrades/gadgets? How about challenge completion? Can't see myself getting 15/15 Worst Nightmare on this first playthrough unless there are a hell of a lot more Predator Maps near the end.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
You start with all the upgrades, but I'm not sure about the challenges.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
So how many graphics does this game have? I've just ordered a shiny new gfx card and it comes with Batman. Is it Arkham City quality? That looked stunning with PhysX enabled even with a slightly older card.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

NaDy posted:

So how many graphics does this game have? I've just ordered a shiny new gfx card and it comes with Batman. Is it Arkham City quality? That looked stunning with PhysX enabled even with a slightly older card.

It looks as good as Arkham City, with no noticeably major enhancements over that. The Physx stuff is a bit better, with snow simulation. However, despite being technically equal to AC, I'd say that AO is a less impressive graphical showpiece, due to the heavy use of pre-rendered cutscenes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the previous games had very little pre-rendered CG stuff, but AO is chock full of it. Every single major cutscene is CG, including most of the cool non-controlled fight scenes. I seem to remember that stuff being in-engine previous. The CG looks nice, but I'm really not impressed by CG at all anymore and I think it would have been cooler to have that stuff just be in-engine.

The cinematics in AC were awesome because they pushed the graphical engine really far with them, and that game turned out to be easily one of the best looking games out there. AO is unremarkable because they don't push it at all and rely on the CG instead.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

THE CHORSE posted:

"I won't stand a chance against that many armed men."

Also, reconfirming that this works for a new page:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkDLaojdCCw
I even managed to do it with a gamepad.

I'm guessing this will get patched next week right? There's no way that they'd let a bug this big go on for long.

How did this even slip by QA. I mean if it happens 100% of the time on PC then surely it should have been picked up?

The only bug i've come across so far is pulling someone through the floor into the grate when i tried to do a grate takedown. Instead of popping out and pulling him in, i got the animation for regular silent takedown but whilst glitching through the floor.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

What does restart checkpoint do in that situation? Does it just reload the last autosave?

Yup, looks like I'll have to restart the game.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Is there anything in-game tipping you off to where the Anarky Tags and Cyrus Pinkney plaques are? Like how the riddles in the other games appeared on the map? If not, trying to do a 100% campaign without a guide is gonna be real annoying.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It looks as good as Arkham City, with no noticeably major enhancements over that. The Physx stuff is a bit better, with snow simulation. However, despite being technically equal to AC, I'd say that AO is a less impressive graphical showpiece, due to the heavy use of pre-rendered cutscenes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the previous games had very little pre-rendered CG stuff, but AO is chock full of it. Every single major cutscene is CG, including most of the cool non-controlled fight scenes. I seem to remember that stuff being in-engine previous. The CG looks nice, but I'm really not impressed by CG at all anymore and I think it would have been cooler to have that stuff just be in-engine.

The cinematics in AC were awesome because they pushed the graphical engine really far with them, and that game turned out to be easily one of the best looking games out there. AO is unremarkable because they don't push it at all and rely on the CG instead.

Nope, just as much of both Asylum and City was pre-rendered. It's more noticeable in Origins because they up the quality of the lighting in the FMVs.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I think this might be my favorite Arkham game. It's balls-hard in places (not being able to cancel into counters makes the fights a lot more difficult for me than they used to be), which I like, and the story is simple and well-executed enough to give it more impact than Arkham City's constant "now things are even more serious than before!" twists. Like, to provide sort of a frame of reference, the shootout on top of the hotel, with helicopters and bombs and Bane with a rocket launcher as everything burned, or the entire final level for that matter, had much more of a 'holy poo poo, this has escalated so far' feel to them than helicopters roaming around and literally blowing up Arkham City did. (major spoilers here) I was disappointed at first when the Joker hijacked the plot again, but they did such a good job with it that I did a complete 180. It's weird, his segments have everything I dislike about Joker stories: insane sky-high body counts, 'why don't you kill me Batman' conversations, and moments where everything everyone does is somehow feeding into his big retarded supervillain plan...and yet I really enjoyed them. Go figure, I guess.

I also liked the boss encounters a lot. Do you guys remember when Arkham Asylum came out and it was amazing and felt like it did everything right, except the boss fights? Seriously, they were awful. With the exception of maybe Poison Ivy they were pretty universally bad, just an unoriginal, lazily-designed slog in the middle of an otherwise-pretty-great game. Playing through fights like Deathstroke, Firefly, and the final boss (man that was tense), I was amazed at how far the series has come in three games. The large-scale melees are better, too; there's a sequence towards the end where you fight like 30 guys and it is glorious.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Anybody mind telling me what Batman says at the end of the Lady Shiva fight?

e: Like I got most of it he told Alfred to tell the GCPD about the bodies, one alive, one dead. Alfred said something about him being ok, Bats said the night isn't whatever, and I accidentally cut him off at that point by hitting the B button. Was trying to clear the flashing combo meter on the screen, but it also dropped the call. I was also in the midst of getting bombarded by popups/upgrade/level up/achievement notifications. Just want to make sure it ends on "We've got a hell of a lot more night Alfred" rather then "We have a hell of a lot more night Alfred, oh and also here is plot relevant stuff."

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 26, 2013

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
If you're having PS3 frame rate issues then save and restart. There's some bug related to using the fast travel that causes massive slowdown currently.

Also Adam West Batman 66 is the best skin.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Rookersh posted:

Anybody mind telling me what Batman says at the end of the Lady Shiva fight?

e: Like I got most of it he told Alfred to tell the GCPD about the bodies, one alive, one dead. Alfred said something about him being ok, Bats said the night isn't whatever, and I accidentally cut him off at that point by hitting the B button. Was trying to clear the flashing combo meter on the screen, but it also dropped the call. I was also in the midst of getting bombarded by popups/upgrade/level up/achievement notifications. Just want to make sure it ends on "We've got a hell of a lot more night Alfred" rather then "We have a hell of a lot more night Alfred, oh and also here is plot relevant stuff."

Well nothing really relevant.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Solomonic posted:

the final boss (man that was tense)

The final boss made me feel more like Batman than any other moment in the series. Having to stalk around in the shadows, taking Bane by surprise, was great, and he was legit loving scary.

Also, tip that I didn't realize until just before the final boss: If you run and slide into a vent grating, you'll go straight through it instantly.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I didn't realize you could slow down remote control batarangs until about 20 minutes ago.

I got all the collectibles in Asylum, City, and am halfway done with all of them here. I just had to retry 50+ times for the remote control trickshots, and thought they were supposed to be tough. :(

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I was about to say, how the hell did you manage some of the batrang puzzles. Goddamn. :stare:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I'm pretty close to being done with the main storyline and there's still two Most Wanted's that haven't activated yet. I've got Mad Hatter, Shiva, Deadshot, Black Mask, Anarky, Penguin, and of course, Riddler so who am I missing and how do I find them?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

CuwiKhons posted:

I'm pretty close to being done with the main storyline and there's still two Most Wanted's that haven't activated yet. I've got Mad Hatter, Shiva, Deadshot, Black Mask, Anarky, Penguin, and of course, Riddler so who am I missing and how do I find them?

You get one close to the end of the game and one after completing the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CharlestonJew posted:

I cannot seem to do a Hanging Ledge Takedown no matter what I try.

Does it give you the prompt? I got the prompt for a silent ledge takedown in front of the steel mill and when I pushed it Batman did nothing and it disabled all my attack buttons so I couldn't do anything but walk around until I fast traveled to somewhere else.

• Locked thread