Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Fuuuuuck.

I changed some graphics settings, and now the game crashes every time I open it in Steam.

It crashes at the main menu, so I can't even get in top change them back...is my only hope uninstalling and reinstalling? I get the following error:

Edit: Looks like there's an nVidia update I might need...downloading now, let's hope it fixes it.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Neckbeard
Jan 1, 2010
Does anybody know how to do the special combo disarm and destroy? It says x + y (360) but when ever I do it to a guy with a weapon batman just kicks the dude in the face.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So... after skimming this thread, what you're telling me is that I should just hold off until it's patched, huh.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Well, in addition to the vent hanging bug, I also encountered a bug during the Deathstroke fight were his AI just completely shut off except for dodging and I was able to just beat on him until he died. I restarted the fight, of course, so I could experience the real thing.

I know there are more buggy games out there but I've never personally experienced two obvious show stoppers so soon in any game once ever played.

Mugwump
Apr 13, 2004

I offered to pay $60 million for 5 years of this avatar but was turned down
Yea, the game is fun but man are there some inexcusable bugs (in PC version at least). When I tried to leave penguin's layer at beginning of the game the door animations decided to not work so I couldn't walk through any doors and had to restart the game, which fixed it luckily.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Fuzz posted:

So... after skimming this thread, what you're telling me is that I should just hold off until it's patched, huh.

According to the Steam forums, the unpacking process was bugged with the game, which probably doesn't also help that most of us unpacked off a VPN.

I know in my case, the game was super buggy as well until I verified, then all those bugs cleared right up. ( outside of the Burnely Vent. ) Ended up having to redownload 17 files.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Rookersh posted:

According to the Steam forums, the unpacking process was bugged with the game, which probably doesn't also help that most of us unpacked off a VPN.

I know in my case, the game was super buggy as well until I verified, then all those bugs cleared right up. ( outside of the Burnely Vent. ) Ended up having to redownload 17 files.

Steam will always re-download a few files, even with a perfect install. It probably didn't replace anything at all. That sounds like some steam forums bullshit.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

When do you get the ability to break weapons during fights? (X+Y Finisher on 360 pad) I've unlocked pretty much all the combat upgrades and still can't seem to perform this ability. I'm pretty far through the story now. Just examined the corpse of the bane thug in the GCPD morgue. How much longer until I can dismantle guns mid-fight?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Gunder posted:

Steam will always re-download a few files, even with a perfect install. It probably didn't replace anything at all. That sounds like some steam forums bullshit.

Except for the fact I was locked in the Final Offer until I did it, then everything worked fine after I did, and I haven't had any issues since.

I dunno, made me a believer.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

This may have been asked before, but where is Penguin's arms cache on the boat?

NM...the answer was a few pages earlier. I need to go end this stupid mission now.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I can't tell if this game is an OCD's wet dream or worst nightmare.

ps game rocks. Playing it on hard from the get go and you have to earn every fight, especially Deathstroke's

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ugh. The online is so bad. Batman and Robin are basically meaningless except when they give free reinforcements by feeding.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Gunder posted:

No it doesn't. I verified just in case since I unpacked with a VPN and I had nothing redownload.

Hiridion
Apr 16, 2006
Can anyone offer any help on doing a hanging ledge takedown?

I'm trying to get worst nightmare rank 6 but whenever I'm standing above some goon I only ever have the option to do a drop attack, never a take down.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hiridion posted:

Can anyone offer any help on doing a hanging ledge takedown?

I'm trying to get worst nightmare rank 6 but whenever I'm standing above some goon I only ever have the option to do a drop attack, never a take down.

It has to be a low ledge, like right over a door. It's a complete pain in the rear end to do because there are so few places to do it.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Ugh. The online is so bad. Batman and Robin are basically meaningless except when they give free reinforcements by feeding.
worst part is when folks drop mid-match. drat, poo poo goes south faster than most games with unequal teams.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
This game was very obviously made by a different studio. It just feels "off". Everything from the tone to the opening and boss fights and stealth segments. That said, the first fight with Deathstroke was awesome. Hope they patch the PC version soon. Haven't run into any game-stopping bugs yet, so maybe I'll just focus on side missions for now until they roll something out. Roger Craig is a pretty okay Batman.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Speaking of that Deathstroke fight, I got a kick out of the Not-a-boss fight with electrocution man

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

Speaking of that Deathstroke fight, I got a kick out of the Not-a-boss fight with electrocution man
Haha yeah, I spent like the first minute tepidly approaching and throwing batarangs and then dodging back to safety. It was a pretty awesome moment when I finally just went for it.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Monopthalmus posted:

Well, in addition to the vent hanging bug, I also encountered a bug during the Deathstroke fight were his AI just completely shut off except for dodging and I was able to just beat on him until he died. I restarted the fight, of course, so I could experience the real thing.

I know there are more buggy games out there but I've never personally experienced two obvious show stoppers so soon in any game once ever played.

I had the Cryptographic Sequencer selected when I started the Deathstroke fight, and hit the button during the fight. Batman knelt down like he always does, while Deathstroke ceased to exist thus trapping me in that room forever.

So, basically, Batman's most powerful weapon is a little handheld computer.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Anyone figure out the Diamond Tower yet? I have the Disruptor, but it looks like the jammer is underneath the tower, in an area hidden by boards. But I can't blow them up because they are on the side of the building.

Is it just a future upgrade, or am I missing something here?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
How much longer is it until I get Freeze Grenades? I'm at the hotel, I just finished the rooftop fight with Vikki Vale's helicopter watching.

EDIT:

Rookersh posted:

Anyone figure out the Diamond Tower yet? I have the Disruptor, but it looks like the jammer is underneath the tower, in an area hidden by boards. But I can't blow them up because they are on the side of the building.

Is it just a future upgrade, or am I missing something here?

Future upgrade.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Batman is so proud of how well his second in-game interrogation goes :3:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

raditts posted:

Does it give you the prompt? I got the prompt for a silent ledge takedown in front of the steel mill and when I pushed it Batman did nothing and it disabled all my attack buttons so I couldn't do anything but walk around until I fast traveled to somewhere else.

Nope, I tried the challenge in The Sionis Steel Mill where you have to take out all the thugs then talk to Black Mask. There was this one thug that was patrolling in and out of this one room, so I stood above the ledge waiting for him and the prompt never showed up. I can't ever seem to get it, either because there are no ledges that meet the requirements or because the room layout makes it impossible to get the other takedowns for the challenge.

Does anyone know if the Predator rooms respawn with enemies after you go through them once? Because at this rate there's no way in hell I'm getting that Sonic Shock Batarang.

fake edit: ^^ You need a future upgrade for that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
God dammit, I wish I had realized that in the Bane fight, standard attacks hurt him when he isn't all venomed out. Would have made my life so much easier if I wasn't constantly trying to stun him.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

How much longer is it until I get Freeze Grenades? I'm at the hotel, I just finished the rooftop fight with Vikki Vale's helicopter watching.

You're like minutes away from it.

I've got a question for you guys though, why the gently caress are we hunting down Riddler? So he gathered up a bunch of blackmail material and is planning on releasing it to the public. That's not even really extortion because he's not giving them the option to pay him to make it go away. Why the hell should I care that he's going to reveal a bunch of Gotham's worst to be horribly corrupt people? Even if he was previously extorting them for money, him releasing the information to the public doesn't seem like the sort of thing to get mad about.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 27, 2013

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I didn't think he was only targeting Gotham's worst. Anyway, as I see it it's for the reasons mentioned early in the mission. He'll cause pandemonium by releasing every dirty secret in Gotham at once

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

You're like minutes away from it.

I've got a question for you guys though, why the gently caress are we hunting down Riddler? So he gathered up a bunch of blackmail material and is planning on releasing it to the public. That's not even really extortion because he's not giving them the option to pay him to make it go away. Why the hell should I care that he's going to reveal a bunch of Gotham's worst to be horribly corrupt people? Even if he was previously extorting them for money, him releasing the information to the public doesn't seem like the sort of thing to get mad about.

Because that would cause mass chaos at this point. This is Loeb era Gotham, not Gordon. 90% of the Police are on the take, every politician is crooked, and the judges are working for the bad guys. And some of those guys aren't necessarily bad people, but are more like the Warden at the beginning, they were forced into their dirt through intimidation/blackmail themselves, and have only dug their way further down.

Completely kicking the chair out underneath organized government right after a night like the one that occurs in Origins is a -bad thing-. There would be riots, government intervention, and it would give the people Batman didn't beat the poo poo out of tonight a huge opportunity to take power for themselves at the expense of the common people, since the status quo would have been destroyed. Especially since Batman's way actually does work in the end. Gordon will clean up the police, the judges/DA clean up under Dent, politicians start to be less crooked once it stops being just Batman in Gotham, and more Justice League and America, etc.

It'd be a man made No Mans Land scenario.

Communist Pie
Mar 11, 2007

...Robot!
Is there a secret to using the smoke pellet to do a takedown I am not aware of?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I'm doubtful the predator rooms repopulate, and you probably cannot grind Dark Knight challenges in challenge mode, so it looks like for NG+ I'll have to be very very careful in predator rooms to get Worst Nightmare, that kinda sucks.

Communist Pie posted:

Is there a secret to using the smoke pellet to do a takedown I am not aware of?
You can select it as a gadget and manually throw/drop it.

Also why is there so much crying on the Internet about the Deathstroke fight or just the combat in the game in general? I mean, sure point out the fact there's some jank (like Bats throwing a punch at nothing in freeflow) or he feels a bit slower/more windup involved but really, people complaining about the more more aggressive combat AI? Remember when people were all saying Batman Arkham games having BABY COMBAT FOR BABIES YOU JUST MASH X AND Y HOW HARD COULD IT BE?

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
It's possible to complete the Dark Knight challenges in challenge maps accessed through the Batcave, right? Because otherwise it's going to be a real pain in the rear end to get some of these...

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Sober posted:

I'm doubtful the predator rooms repopulate, and you probably cannot grind Dark Knight challenges in challenge mode, so it looks like for NG+ I'll have to be very very careful in predator rooms to get Worst Nightmare, that kinda sucks.

Also why is there so much crying on the Internet about the Deathstroke fight or just the combat in the game in general? I mean, sure point out the fact there's some jank (like Bats throwing a punch at nothing in freeflow) or he feels a bit slower/more windup involved but really, people complaining about the more more aggressive combat AI? Remember when people were all saying Batman Arkham games having BABY COMBAT FOR BABIES YOU JUST MASH X AND Y HOW HARD COULD IT BE?

Maybe I'm a wuss, but I never felt the other games had baby combat. They weren't insanely challenging but they got the job done. The tweaks to the combat flow have been frustrating at times for me, I never played a ton of the challenge maps in the others and I really feel like I suck in some of the fights in this one. Pre-release they talked about wanting to make getting good at free flow even more intuitive but it just seems all the tougher to me, and while I wasn't one of the best I was decent at free flow in the others. But the Deathstroke fight was amazing.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

THE CHORSE posted:

It's possible to complete the Dark Knight challenges in challenge maps accessed through the Batcave, right? Because otherwise it's going to be a real pain in the rear end to get some of these...
Nope, just tried. Didn't get anything.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
Side villain comment:

I'm not very familiar with the comics, but Anarky seems like a REALLY sympathetic villain in this. Batman's criticism of his methods doesn't even make much sense, plus his credibility is a bit shaky after he, you know, beats up a police station's-worth of cops to hack into their server.

He lectures Anarky about how innocent people would have been killed by the bombs, but it's midnight during a huge storm on Christmas Eve. Who the hell is going to be at a bank or TV station?

Communist Pie
Mar 11, 2007

...Robot!

Sober posted:

I do that, but I can be standing 5 feet behind a guy, throw/drop smoke, and... nothing. No combination of buttons that would ordinarily result in a takedown does anything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beeez posted:

Maybe I'm a wuss, but I never felt the other games had baby combat. They weren't insanely challenging but they got the job done. The tweaks to the combat flow have been frustrating at times for me, I never played a ton of the challenge maps in the others and I really feel like I suck in some of the fights in this one. Pre-release they talked about wanting to make getting good at free flow even more intuitive but it just seems all the tougher to me, and while I wasn't one of the best I was decent at free flow in the others. But the Deathstroke fight was amazing.

If you actually use the tools available to you you're insanely powerful in this compared to City. Aside from the Concussion Grenades being a crappy replacement for the Rec, almost everything you have is as good or better as your City counterpart. Shock Gloves + Double Takedown is so hilariously powerful that it invalidates massive amounts of any potential difficulty.

more friedman units posted:

Side villain comment:

I'm not very familiar with the comics, but Anarky seems like a REALLY sympathetic villain in this. Batman's criticism of his methods doesn't even make much sense, plus his credibility is a bit shaky after he, you know, beats up a police station's-worth of cops to hack into their server.

He lectures Anarky about how innocent people would have been killed by the bombs, but it's midnight during a huge storm on Christmas Eve. Who the hell is going to be at a bank or TV station?

There are people in the bank in a later mission and the TV station is broadcasting in several missions. Anarchy, uh, doesn't care about causing anarchy and is totally fine with killing people without consideration because they are in what he considers a symbol of corruption. Even if his ideals are sympathetic his methods are not.

Communist Pie posted:

I do that, but I can be standing 5 feet behind a guy, throw/drop smoke, and... nothing. No combination of buttons that would ordinarily result in a takedown does anything.

You need to wait until the Smoke Density is up. Once it is you can Silent Takedown as normal.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 27, 2013

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

Sober posted:

Nope, just tried. Didn't get anything.

:negative:
Oh well, thank you for checking. I would have done it myself, but for some reason I can't fast travel - all of the icons are greyed out. I'm hoping that it's just until I complete the next major plot objective and not because the game constantly thinks I'm in a fight or something.

On the other hand, the PhysX eye candy in this game is amazing. I just walked around in some fog for a bit because of the way it swirls around and interacts with Batman and his cape. :pcgaming:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Communist Pie posted:

I've had the same problem. There should be a "takedown" command, but it doesn't show up.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

Jurgan posted:

I've had the same problem. There should be a "takedown" command, but it doesn't show up.

I'm pretty sure that it either has to be during an actual predator segment or that it at least has to be against an armed enemy. Unarmed ones just swing wildly and pop up the counter lightning bolts, but armed thugs are actually vulnerable to silent takedowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yea, if you read the text for the challenge, it explains that to get the takedown option it has to be an armed enemy.

• Locked thread