Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

goferchan posted:

I'm thinking about posting a thread, I know people are wary of "beta" stuff but this game is basically feature-complete and has recieved regular weekly updates for almost 2 years.

Go for it. Kerbal Space Program is in a similar situation (and probably even less feature complete) but goons still love the hell out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Krinkle posted:

Desktop dungeons is for sale now? The other day I was desperately trying to remember what its name was.

It's been in Minecraft-style early access mode for literally almost 2 years. Like I said, it's basically feature-complete at this point -- for the past couple months' worth of weekly updates they've been fleshing out some UI details and adding in the "collector's edition" bonus content. The beta can only be played in a browser with an internet connection, supposedly just because it makes it that much easier to push out frequent updates, but at launch it'll be available on Steam and in-browser and if you're playing with an internet connection your progress will sync between the two. They also expect to have an iOS version out a month or two after the release and its savefiles will sync with your other versions of the game as well. They're withholding the soundtrack from the browser-based beta for bandwith reasons, but they recently announced that it's completed and ALSO that it's all done by loving DannyB (!!!) who did the soundtracks for Super Meat Boy and Binding of Isaac. It's a pretty good time to buy, the release is probably under a month away at this point and the prerelease price is $10/$15 for normal/collector's editions of the game instead of the $15/$20 it'll be at launch.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Speaking of Desktop Dungeons, can anyone point me where to go after finishing all the normal dungeons and their quests? Because holy poo poo I tried a random hard one and it kicked my rear end so hard it was like I was starting new all over again.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

goferchan posted:

They're withholding the soundtrack from the browser-based beta for bandwith reasons, but they recently announced that it's completed and ALSO that it's all done by loving DannyB (!!!) who did the soundtracks for Super Meat Boy and Binding of Isaac.

This is the best news I bought the game ages ago but my laptop doesn't like the browser version so I've barely played it. Now I'm glad I was forced to wait, DannyB is amazing.

Edit: Wait it's DannyB and Grant Kirkhope (Banjo Kazooie series)? Holy poo poo!

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 19, 2013

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

Speaking of Desktop Dungeons, can anyone point me where to go after finishing all the normal dungeons and their quests? Because holy poo poo I tried a random hard one and it kicked my rear end so hard it was like I was starting new all over again.

What quests do you have open, currently? If you link a screenshot of your main map that might be the easiest way to show what you have available. Basically, though, you're gonna have to beat some Hard dungeons. If that seems too insurmountably hard right now I'd recommend grinding out some gold for upgrades/unlocking classes if you haven't already. The easiest way to do it is grinding a dungeon you know you can beat with the "bet on boss" prep but also try the class challenges out in the different guilds; not only do they reward gold & teach some neat tricks, they each eventually unlock an item, some of which are really, really useful. Also unlock all the gods! Each one is situationally useful and you're majorly gimped if you don't have them all available.

Edit: also, if you have questions about any specific hard mode dungeon let me know, I can probably give some tips (just dont ask me how to beat any Vicious mode dungeons :smith: ) -- there's also a wiki for the game, but it's rarely updated and kind of outdated on certain fronts so use it at your own risk, sometimes it's helpful but other times it's flat-out wrong

goferchan fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 19, 2013

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

An update for Occult Chronicles:

quote:

Added 2 New Encounters for the basement/dungeon levels. One is a tribute to an old D & D dungeon nemesis and the other tips its hat to a famous B.P.R.D. agent…no not the big red guy.

The item numbers on the right side of the item tray now turn green when you have an item that can be used during a challenge but that tab has not been selected.

Horror challenges now only happen once for each specific named encounter. i.e. if you have seen the zombies random encounter you don’t get the horror challenge again if you happen to bump into more zombies later on

The frequency of random encounters has been decreased further

The intensity of health loss and sanity loss cards has been toned down significantly to reduce the chance of large number penalties in a single failed encounter if you are at moderate or less health or sanity points. i.e. the more severe algorithm operates when you have high health and sanity points

Numerous bug fixes and display issues corrected

Numerous text errors corrected

With the lower amount of horror checks a non wand heavy agent may be less painful to play.

Edit:

Also it is on Halloween Sale for $13.13 so if you are interested in buying it now might be a good time.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

AnonSpore posted:

Yeah. Basically the normal levels are about as hard as earlier parts of the alpha, and the hard levels are harder than anything in the alpha except the final unlock challenges.

Each direction from the town has a type of class that is best though? Start by playing with the absolute easiest classes. Or maybe try the class quests and try to unlock more items?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

Yeah. Basically the normal levels are about as hard as earlier parts of the alpha, and the hard levels are harder than anything in the alpha except the final unlock challenges.

Each direction from the town has a type of class that is best though? Start by playing with the absolute easiest classes. Or maybe try the class quests and try to unlock more items?

There's generally one race/class combo for each dungeon that doesn't quite trivialize it but makes it pretty feasibly beatable -- like I said, if you wanna point out a particular one you're stuck on, I can point you in the right direction. Of course, if you're a PRO, you're gonna be interested in 100%ing every dungeon by beating it with every single class -- in which case, good loving luck :negative:

edit: and gently caress vicious, seriously -- if anyone's further along in the game than me ("postgame" stuff after beating the first version of Tower of Gaan-Telet), I'd love some tips. I managed to cheese Dragon Isles with a berserker (and the item unlocked is INCREDIBLY useful -- don't underestimate resistances) but I have no idea how I'm gonna beat it with two other classes to unlock the new race, and I don't have a clue how to approach the other 4 vicious dungeons available to me.

edit edit: speaking of resistances, beat the Monk's silver class challenge ASAP and unlock martyr wraps -- it's tough, but worth it. Completely revolutionizes the way you play as a monk once you have them available.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 19, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

goferchan posted:

What quests do you have open, currently? If you link a screenshot of your main map that might be the easiest way to show what you have available. Basically, though, you're gonna have to beat some Hard dungeons. If that seems too insurmountably hard right now I'd recommend grinding out some gold for upgrades/unlocking classes if you haven't already. The easiest way to do it is grinding a dungeon you know you can beat with the "bet on boss" prep but also try the class challenges out in the different guilds; not only do they reward gold & teach some neat tricks, they each eventually unlock an item, some of which are really, really useful. Also unlock all the gods! Each one is situationally useful and you're majorly gimped if you don't have them all available.

Edit: also, if you have questions about any specific hard mode dungeon let me know, I can probably give some tips (just dont ask me how to beat any Vicious mode dungeons :smith: ) -- there's also a wiki for the game, but it's rarely updated and kind of outdated on certain fronts so use it at your own risk, sometimes it's helpful but other times it's flat-out wrong

This is me, I've got the Tinker, unlocked, and four gods (Taurog, Glowing Guardian, Dracul, and the guy who really likes it when you break walls). The only class silver challenge I've managed so far was the thief's, though I admit I haven't really given them serious tries. I'm not in dire need of money at the moment, just a bit stymied on where to go and how to go about things. I feel like I'm missing something big/basic at the moment.

edit: I plugged away at it a bit more and managed to clear the Berserker Camp quests and one with the twin golem bosses up north (only once for the latter, and it was a close thing). Even when I clear a dungeon it feels like I'm cheesing it, I have no idea how someone would manage these badges--a lot of my wins come from using up all my health potions against the boss and then worshipping Dracul to mop up every bloodstain on the map and barely squeaking by on that. I also cleared at least the bronze challenges for every class and the silver for Fighter, Berserker, and Thief. Are there any silver challenges I should try and prioritize?

In general I'm liking the melee characters (Assassin, Monk, Warlord) a lot, but I'm guessing that it'd be better to try and branch out to get a feel for all the characters?

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 20, 2013

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
OK bit the bullet on Desky Dungey and it's pretty slick! Looks nice, the flavor text is inoffensive, and even if it doesn't do a great job of it DD tries to introduce some essential but unintuitive ways to make the combat system work to your advantage. Seems like a pretty significant improvement over the alpha in just about every way. For better or worse it's the same game with a LOT more content including at least one crunchy new mechanic (stuns are a good addition).

I do hate that it's browser-only for the beta and it does cost money. And even though it makes sense (unlockable "preparations" outside of dungeons give the player more control and will cut down on unwinnable or nearly so dungeons) I have mixed feelings about the way content is gated. It's also way too easy at the beginning. Like I'm ~5 dungeons in and haven't needed the Fighter's bread and butter Pit Dog passive (one-time "survive mortal blow with 1 hp") at all. Lucky for me there are "puzzle" maps that are ruthlessly, murderously difficult small scenarios where you begin with total information but require an exact set of moves to clear. The first one has you killing 3 guys and a boss with aid of one spell cast and one passive-use item and it took me literally forever

IDK this game is pretty perfectly For Me (bite-sized whack-a-monster random generated Optimal Move brain-burners ftw) but it's hard not to recommend to anyone who likes puzzles or strategy stuff and doesn't mind the theme. I guess the only really objectionable thing about it would be it's design; the 10-minute length of a single run makes it more suited for people who like Games than people who like Quests. whew

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

edit: I plugged away at it a bit more and managed to clear the Berserker Camp quests and one with the twin golem bosses up north (only once for the latter, and it was a close thing). Even when I clear a dungeon it feels like I'm cheesing it, I have no idea how someone would manage these badges--a lot of my wins come from using up all my health potions against the boss and then worshipping Dracul to mop up every bloodstain on the map and barely squeaking by on that. I also cleared at least the bronze challenges for every class and the silver for Fighter, Berserker, and Thief. Are there any silver challenges I should try and prioritize?

In general I'm liking the melee characters (Assassin, Monk, Warlord) a lot, but I'm guessing that it'd be better to try and branch out to get a feel for all the characters?

If you like Monk, try and clear his silver challenge ASAP -- you unlock the Martyr Wraps which apply one level of corrosion (enemy takes +1 extra damage on hit) every single time you hit an enemy, and every time you level up every revealed enemy gets a layer of corrosion as well. Makes his plinking/regen-fighting strategy even better. Regen-fighting and not wasting tiles is a pretty important skill in general for every class, if you've got full HP or MP and you're in a position where you need to explore more of the dungeon, always try and find a way to burn off some of that by casting spells so you're not wasting your regeneration. If you haven't done some of the Explorer's Guild puzzles it never really gets explained, but it's important to know that the Burning effect from fireballs slows enemy health regeneration. With a fireball in hand you should pretty much always be able to kill a level 2 monster (when you're level 1) by hitting it, burning it, then out-regenerating it & going in for the kill, no matter what class you're playing. There's nothing wrong with the melee classes but if you like worshipping Dracul try messing around with the Bloodmage, his Sanguine ability stacks with the Sanguine bonus Dracul gives you & he also restores MP from drinking bloodstains which makes mopping them all up at the end for damage spikes against the boss even more effective. Sorcerer is fun to play, too -- he gets a ton of bonus max MP and every time he casts a spell he restores HP equal to the MP spent to cast it, so he works great as a hybrid melee/caster who can beat down enemies until he's at low HP, fireball them a few times to heal himself, then repeat. Some of the badges are hard, but looking at my stats I somehow managed to get the Purist badge (beat the dungeon without any preparations) on Hexx Ruins, Creeplight Ruins, and Rock Garden, so if you're struggling you should know it's definitely possible to beat them without unlocking & bringing in a bunch of extra items. Hell if I remember how I did it, though. Another general tip is, don't be afraid to convert between religions -- you have to have at least 50 piety to do so, and then you lose half your piety upon conversion, but for the most part you'll keep any bonuses your previous god gave you and in some cases it's basically necessary to jump around. Dracul (if you've got a field full of bloodstains you can drink up) and the Earthmother (you can invoke one of her abilities to grow a plant on every single bloodstain, giving you 5 piety for each one grown) are both prime candidates for this since you can easily generate massive amounts of piety with both of them & then switch to another god. Also, don't be afraid to desecrate other gods' altars! You get a boost of 40 piety for doing so which can be a game-changer. Some gods (Taurog, Dracul) have some pretty devastating penalties and barring some edge cases you don't ever really want to bring on their wrath -- others, like the Earthmother (applies 5 layers of corrosion to you) or Binlor Ironshield (drops all your resistances to zero -- which, if you never had any resistances to begin with, has no effect at all) can be totally worth pissing off for the piety boost.

MPLS to NOLA posted:

I do hate that it's browser-only for the beta and it does cost money. And even though it makes sense (unlockable "preparations" outside of dungeons give the player more control and will cut down on unwinnable or nearly so dungeons) I have mixed feelings about the way content is gated. It's also way too easy at the beginning. Like I'm ~5 dungeons in and haven't needed the Fighter's bread and butter Pit Dog passive (one-time "survive mortal blow with 1 hp") at all. Lucky for me there are "puzzle" maps that are ruthlessly, murderously difficult small scenarios where you begin with total information but require an exact set of moves to clear. The first one has you killing 3 guys and a boss with aid of one spell cast and one passive-use item and it took me literally forever

Yeah the difficulty ramps up pretty suddenly, as soon as you beat the normal-difficulty (eastern/southern/western/northern) dungeons you might be surprised at how tricky and demanding the game gets. The puzzles are totally worth playing, the gold rewards aren't huge or anything compared to what you get by completing other quests in the game but they do a really good job of pointing out little tricks and techniques that will help you during normal play, even if the solutions are sometimes maddeningly specific. Also, you may be happy to know that while they're still mostly "bite-size" some of the endgame/postgame dungeons have multiple floors, bosses, and stages, making your progression through them feel slightly more epic. Even as soon as you advance to hard-difficulty dungeons (which, if you're 5 dungeons in, should be pretty soon) you'll notice quite a few unique dungeon mechanics and cool predetermined setpieces coming into play.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
Q: does petrifying a boss let me Win? If I need a drop from them could I petrify them then break the wall?

I am getting kind of tired of slamming the wonafyte button as the fighter to flounce through every map but it's right there. Oh and I don't much care for epic I sort of stuck that there at the end of my post for folks that play RLs for reasons other than mechanics abuse hehe

There is really a lot to do in Desktop DungeonsTM huh( I Will Edit This Post Til I DIe)

yessss they kept the random everything button

MPLS to NOLA fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 20, 2013

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Nah, pretty sure IMAWAL just straight-up doesn't work on bosses.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

MPLS to NOLA posted:

Q: does petrifying a boss let me Win? If I need a drop from them could I petrify them then break the wall?

I am getting kind of tired of slamming the wonafyte button as the fighter to flounce through every map but it's right there. Oh and I don't much care for epic I sort of stuck that there at the end of my post for folks that play RLs for reasons other than mechanics abuse hehe

There is really a lot to do in Desktop DungeonsTM huh( I Will Edit This Post Til I DIe)

yessss they kept the random everything button

If your strategy here is "press wonafyt, kill monster, repeat", then you will be pleased to learn that it's generally suboptimal. :) (You get 1 bonus XP for killing a slowed monster, but you get far more bonus XP for killing monsters of a higher level than you. So you want to level up by killing high-level monsters, but in the process you want to slow lots of low-level monsters with wonafyte/weytwut to go round and hoover up later.)

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Hey look I made Caves of Qud not look hideous:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Geokinesis posted:

An update for Occult Chronicles:

With the lower amount of horror checks a non wand heavy agent may be less painful to play.

Edit:

Also it is on Halloween Sale for $13.13 so if you are interested in buying it now might be a good time.

What is the deal with this? I played the demo and walked into a room and failed three times to talk to a ghost and went insane and got bored. The learning curve on this seems insane. I've only heard about Call of Cthulu and never role played it. Is there a how to get started FAQ somewhere? Is this game too niche for someone who's just played sword of fargoal as a child and nethack as an adult?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Unormal posted:

Awesome :) I can't believe I haven't gotten around to playing this yet, surely I'll be out of excuses soon.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Delver got updated with new graphics recently. Got to say it looks a lot better to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyN5PbKPiks

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Harminoff posted:

Delver got updated with new graphics recently. Got to say it looks a lot better to me.

That's so much better.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Unormal posted:

That's some pretty ASCII there Unormal! Now if only I could get it to run in wine. Well, at least I have a windows partition I can swap to.

MShadowy fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 25, 2013

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Krinkle posted:

The learning curve on this seems insane. I've only heard about Call of Cthulu and never role played it. Is there a how to get started FAQ somewhere?

The interface isn't great, and it's definitely a game where you need to read the manual in the game directory. You're walking around a house trying to find events and quests, with the ultimate goal of building up your power enough to descend into the basement, find the boss room, and beat him down.

All resolutions are done with a minigame that plays out kind of like whist. Whenever you come across an event, there's a number of buttons at the bottom with three different symbols on. Those determine the influencing stat for each aspect of the minigame - how many cards are available on the table, how many cards are in your hand, and how many points you need to win. You turn over cards on the table and, if they match the suit of one of the cards in your hand, you have to play a matching suit card onto it. If your card is higher, you win that trick and some points. Otherwise, you've had to use up a card. Rinse and repeat until you're out of cards in your hand or on the table, and click 'Win' if you got enough points or 'Lose' if you didn't.

You then get to pick a number of reward cards, based on how far you passed or didn't reach the goal number. If you won, some of these might be gold tokens used to purchase skills, or items, or energy for using skills. If you lost, some might be health loss or sanity loss.

Generally when you're starting out, don't increase Health or Sanity. Focus on the core attributes instead. Focusing on Wands and Something Else will work out best, because wands are used for the horror check that practically everything gives you when you first encounter it, and don't forget when you're in game to click on your Character File to check other things you can buy and spend any gold tokens you've accrued.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Also, how much you win or lose by matters. A great win on any challenge will net you sanity/health/edge levels/proficiency/weapons /etc, and likewise a big loss may include instant death, debilitating effects (permanent ones), etc.

You always gain the same # of points from winning with the same type of card (aka a 3 on the table beaten with a 4 or a 10 rewards the same trick points), but face cards are worth lots more and do have a specific hierarchy. I think its page - knight - queen - king. If you put a queen against a king for example, 0 points, same as if you put an ace (aka a 1) against it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harminoff posted:

The new art assets have me interested, but how much gameplay content do they have so far?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Found some lets play of it. Definitely getting better. Even has a neat overworld to it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlUDLaROt6c

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
Whooaaa Goferchan or whoever how does the Getindare rune work with dodge chance? I was doing the Thief's missions (they are Thief-themed) and not bothering with it much but then I noticed that it (%dodge) actually stacks, though the tooltip doesn't mention it. The thing is, the option to use the rune again is sometimes greyed out even if you have the mana to cast it (definitely when the buff is active), and I haven't figured out how long it lasts. It's the first mechanic that seems totally arcane (I hope there are lots more). I will fiddle with it some

pumpinglemma posted:

If your strategy here is "press wonafyt, kill monster, repeat", then you will be pleased to learn that it's generally suboptimal. :) (You get 1 bonus XP for killing a slowed monster, but you get far more bonus XP for killing monsters of a higher level than you. So you want to level up by killing high-level monsters, but in the process you want to slow lots of low-level monsters with wonafyte/weytwut to go round and hoover up later.)

Oh totally. No, I like to keep a big zoo of dizzy monsters for easy piety/mid-fight pick-me-up. The bonus xp from slow with the Fighter's Learning make higher costing xp bonus generation from Imawal or whatever totally unnecessary. The only trouble really is leveling too fast, although I still haven't hit 11 (if it's even possible). He seems like easy mode but it's probably just that I have him better figured out than anybody else I've unlocked.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Dodge % from Getindare keeps stacking until it gets to 60 (I think?) -- it resets when you successfully dodge an attack. Other static sources of dodge% (Tikki Tooki's boon, the Rogue's innate bonus) don't reset on a successful dodge and also stack with Getindare. You can re-cast it every time you trigger the first strike effect -- so you have to hit a monster in between each cast.

Edit: there is no level 11, but if you "level up" again at level 10 you get a full heal, poison & mana burn wipe, etc -- basically every level-up effect except stat gain.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
Oh okay, neat. Do you know what makes the burning debuff fall off?

I didn't notice my roommate walk in while I was listening to music on bigass headphones and "playing" DD and when neither I or the screen moved for more than a minute she asked me if I was okay.

I kiiind of want them to add in a toggle-able 'are you sure your level four guy wants to swap licks with the boss?' prompt for clods.

MPLS to NOLA fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 26, 2013

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Striking any monster (or, maybe, in addition, casting a fireball on any monster? Not sure if PISORF triggers it too) will remove Burning from whoever has it and do a couple points of damage. Occaisonally you can pull off weird combat tricks with the damage but the main advantage of burning is slowing regeneration

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
^^Sick.

For some reason I had the hardest time wrapping my head around the 'buff up before a fight' thing that you're supposed to do in every game ever. The silver Thief mission was stumping me before I abandoned slows for physical resist and dodge %. I'm glad they added utility and if memory serves increased cost to spells. DD still feels kind of....raw and unapproachable and even unrewarding in the usual way (you are making constant progress but there's never a confetti explosion with a giant pulsing golden CONGRATULATIONS) but it can certainly be satisfying. I could be learning something useful.

Dear everyone sorry for turning this into desktop dungeon irc but goferchan, be a darling and explain to me how I got the Stoneskin buff (after casting Endiswal maybe) oh nm it just adds an additional icon to the tray as an explanation that's redacted

hmmm

Oh goodness Imawal delivers bonus xp on slowed enemies

MPLS to NOLA fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 26, 2013

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I somehow totally missed the thread change over. Well gently caress.

Actual content: gently caress IVAN

Edit: vvvv Polymorph Ring death reppin'.

Lilli fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 27, 2013

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I like the one "Lilli the neutral giant mushroom" in there.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Well... yeah, that pretty much sums up IVAN doesn't it?

Also, cripes, the Sandworm lair was already annoying enough, did they really have to make a level variant where there's only one (jumbo sized) worm to follow behind? This ToME run seems to be getting a lot of (at least in my experience) unusual level variants, the Maze in particular stands out as it was filled with Cthulian horrors, which was something I'd never seen before; the Horned Horror at the end took me badly by surprise and cost me a couple lives augh.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The IVAN engine has so much potential for a really cool game.

That said, IVAN in itself is also a great exercise in Fun.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

How complex is Caves of Qud? I want a RL that's relativity easy to handle/understand and it sounds interesting. My only real experience with RL is Brogue and DoomRL.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yaws posted:

How complex is Caves of Qud? I want a RL that's relativity easy to handle/understand and it sounds interesting. My only real experience with RL is Brogue and DoomRL.

It's internally complex, but we tried to design something that had the complexity of an older roguelike without the artificially difficult learning curve that a lot of the older roguelikes had. There's no byzantine set of commands to learn, all the interaction are menu driven, and there's a generic environmental 'use' button that simplifies a lot of the multi-command learning curve that (arguably) gets in the way of the core game-play of a lot of the older-style complex roguelikes.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Unormal posted:

It's internally complex, but we tried to design something that had the complexity of an older roguelike without the artificially difficult learning curve that a lot of the older roguelikes had. There's no byzantine set of commands to learn, all the interaction are menu driven, and there's a generic environmental 'use' button that simplifies a lot of the multi-command learning curve that (arguably) gets in the way of the core game-play of a lot of the older-style complex roguelikes.

Ah, so you developed it? Guess I'll support a fellow goon since the game looks fun as hell. Any plans on a tileset in the future?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yaws posted:

Ah, so you developed it? Guess I'll support a fellow goon since the game looks fun as hell. Any plans on a tileset in the future?

Probably not. We're more likely to do a full-blown graphical roguelike that's actually built for whatever media it's targeted for (PC/Mobile/etc) than go back and entirely re-do CoQ for tiles.

We're working on a mobile roguelike, Sproggiwood, at the moment. We've got a bunch of screenshoots/etc up on the freehold games facebook page if you're interested.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 27, 2013

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So I like RogueLikes but I hate fantasy and slashy magicky things. I love DoomRL and AliensRL and Trascendance, but is there anything else out there that I would enjoy?

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

SquadronROE posted:

So I like RogueLikes but I hate fantasy and slashy magicky things. I love DoomRL and AliensRL and Trascendance, but is there anything else out there that I would enjoy?

Sword of the Stars: The Pit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Nephilm posted:

Sword of the Stars: The Pit?

Good call, I forgot about that. I'll check it out.