Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
I think the skill trees are the most poorly thought out part of the game. I get what they were going for, but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllLuckySevens
Oct 15, 2012
Is anyone else having an issue with Arkham credits online? Nearly every time I finish a match, the credits I earn aren't saved. Or maybe I'm just not grasping how credit earning works?

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Yeah multiple dudes with knives is annoying at the moment without the upgrade, spend half the fight dodging them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You have a lot of options what to do with knives guys. If you're been depending on Disable/Disassemble, try to get the counter timing down or just Glue Grenade them.

The sidequest that gives it to you, for the record, is the Bird sidequest.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

more friedman units posted:

I think the skill trees are the most poorly thought out part of the game. I get what they were going for, but...
That and locking gadgets/abilities behind challenges that have to be done in a specific order to unlock them. I've probably done a few of them after finishing the story but not in their order.

ImpAtom posted:

You have a lot of options what to do with knives guys. If you're been depending on Disable/Disassemble, try to get the counter timing down or just Glue Grenade them.
Aren't they still worth +2 modifier and x200 points for a blade takedown like in AC? I dunno why anyone would do a weapon break on a knife wielder in challenges.

edit: not done all of the sidequests but I feel like many of the auxiliary upgrades you get from sidequest/challenge unlocks should've just been plopped into a tree and then just go all out with the sidequests. They still feel a little MMO-y to me.

Orv
May 4, 2011

AllLuckySevens posted:

Is anyone else having an issue with Arkham credits online? Nearly every time I finish a match, the credits I earn aren't saved. Or maybe I'm just not grasping how credit earning works?

Online persistence is an utter crapshoot right now. In the specific case of credits I don't think the system is in place for crates/credits yet so nothing happens there.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is it normal to be getting ridiculously low FPS with a AMD video card before downloading the update they put out?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Can anyone tell me how to claim the DC one million/red son suits on PS3? It's not letting me input my information in the console (it did for Injustice though).

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Gonkish posted:

I just loving realized that you can use the remote grapple thing to string dudes up from the gargoyles

This hasn't worked once for me. It's always the big red "no gently caress you" whenever I set it up, and it never turns green. Which sucks because it would be a lot handier than smashing fire extinguishers into dudes with it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Slim Killington posted:

This hasn't worked once for me. It's always the big red "no gently caress you" whenever I set it up, and it never turns green. Which sucks because it would be a lot handier than smashing fire extinguishers into dudes with it.

Do you have the upgrade that lets you do it?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Apparently not! The only predator upgrades I've taken so far are the ones that upgrade the explosive gel. I know what to buy next now though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That Deathstroke boss fight was too loving good, holy poo poo. I can't imagine any boss in the game topping it, but we will see.

(Major Plot Spoiler)
I'm really annoyed Joker is the main villain again, especially since Black Mask is a really underutilized Batman villain that can be really great. I don't even really care for the story in these games, but I would've liked to not see so much Joker.

LZEnglish
Jul 11, 2009

Is it possible to get locked out of side quests in this? Like AC, some of them don't seem to trigger reliably - I completely missed the Deadshot one despite beating the Copperhead fight a while ago. I never got the message for it, and I can't figure out how to get it to trigger now.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

How many times are these stupid games going to make me traipse through the Sionis steel mill?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Sex_Ferguson posted:

That Deathstroke boss fight was too loving good, holy poo poo. I can't imagine any boss in the game topping it, but we will see.

The Sidewinder one is much more difficult if you're not good at quick-volleying some gadget I can't remember the name of that helps distinguish between real and fake. Barring that, it's possible to win without using them at all, but it sure took me about five tries.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 27, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
gently caress these Combat Challenge unlocks. I am trying to do the 9th one where you beatdown a guy, counter in the middle, then go back to beating down without breaking your combo, and I have literally done exactly that (sometimes with multiple counters) like 20+ times and it refuses to count it as complete, so I can't progress through them. Really goddamn frustrating.

Are they locked by your progress in the storyline or something? I only just beat Deathstroke.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Oct 27, 2013

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Ugly In The Morning posted:

...I've played the entire series up through this one, and I never realized you could cut people down to reuse the gargoyle. Which is sad, since most of my predator kills are from inverted takedowns.

You've always been able to do it, but it's way more fun to go full predator and leave a bunch of dudes strung up all over the room.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

Maybe it's just that I'm burned out after 3 games in the series, but I'm finding the combat system in this one is getting tedious. Enemies are SO much better at interrupting your attacks than in the first 2 games that I'm finding myself sticking to counters and basic strikes most of the time because the more interesting moves take too much time to pull off unless there's only one or two enemies left.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Maybe it's just that I'm burned out after 3 games in the series, but I'm finding the combat system in this one is getting tedious. Enemies are SO much better at interrupting your attacks than in the first 2 games that I'm finding myself sticking to counters and basic strikes most of the time because the more interesting moves take too much time to pull off unless there's only one or two enemies left.

You have a bunch of 'instant' moves that can create opportunities to do longer moves. Mix them into your combo, it also gives you additional variation points. Concussion grenades basically disable a big chunk of enemies, Glue grenades stop a single enemy, Cape stun will stun anything in front of you, Ariel Attack still gets invincibility frames on shield guys, Shock Gloves are basically god mode as long as they're on and you should be tossing out Takedowns every 2 hits.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Another advantage of doing takedowns strategically is that when they get the brainwave to start shooting them down, they don't shoot down the ones that have guys hanging from them - so make sure you do takedowns where you know you'll need the pillar/gargoyle to keep moving freely.

Also, they could have made New Game Plus just "playing without shock gloves" and it'd be immensely harder.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yes. I dislike them so much. The skill trees and the skills unlocked by side quests. Well, the idea of unlocking skills via side quests isn't all that, but I take particular umbrage over critical hits being locked behind a series of side quests only available a third of the way through the game. Critical hits are a very essential part of the combat. It was kinda stupid to make it a skill in AC and it's even more stupid to make that skill hard to get to now. What a mind-blowingly awful decision.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

Pretty much. At this point my strategy is to beatdown everyone while countering because everything else is either a craps shoot or at least inefficient.

Beatdown -> Instant Takedown -> Get hit (Optional?) -> Beatdown -> Instant Takedown

I'm really trying to like it but it feels like every change they've made has been for the worse.

quote:

I went through the entirety of AC without taking any of the health upgrades because I figure if you're getting hit you're doing something wrong. Now they're all required upgrades right at the start and it's just such a ridiculous way to dumb down a system that worked just fine.

I'd also like to point out that this game continues to be amazing in 3D with everything turned up, god bless them and their love for Nvidia (or the ridiculous amount of money Nvidia has given them).

RadicalWall fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 27, 2013

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I finished the main storyline and I have to say, I was originally pretty peeved to hear that Joker was behind it all along, but wow. That was... that was some good stuff. Pretty much everything from Pioneer Bridge to the credits was solid gold. And the Joker "fight" didn't feel like a let down to me, which I've heard some people say it was. If anything, it felt damned appropriate that after the incredibly long night Bats has had, he just slams Joker around like a loving doll. Props to Troy Baker for a really, really good job.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Rookersh posted:

Anyone figure out the Diamond Tower yet? I have the Disruptor, but it looks like the jammer is underneath the tower, in an area hidden by boards. But I can't blow them up because they are on the side of the building.

Is it just a future upgrade, or am I missing something here?

There's a battery-powered lift on to the ledge where the thugs are hanging out.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, you need the shock gloves for the Diamond tower.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Fuzz posted:

gently caress these Combat Challenge unlocks. I am trying to do the 9th one where you beatdown a guy, counter in the middle, then go back to beating down without breaking your combo, and I have literally done exactly that (sometimes with multiple counters) like 20+ times and it refuses to count it as complete, so I can't progress through them. Really goddamn frustrating.

Are they locked by your progress in the storyline or something? I only just beat Deathstroke.

Some challenges unlock once the challenge is complete.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I just beat the game. I now know what every review meant when they kept saying it was more of the same, but wrote as if that were a bad thing. The video game journalists were correct, but they have no grasp of the language.

What they should have said is "Goes out of its way to be more of the same". This is a good game. Many people should buy it, and many people will enjoy it, but the uselessness of this studio seeps out continuously. Every cut scene skips frames or audio on my xbox, every fight ignores at least one obvious controller input, and there are times when the camera is your worst enemy.

I'll say that the story is good for portions of the game. In fact, there are portions where the story is the best of the trilogy at times. There was a point where I hated the story, and the story brought me back into really, really loving the game again...and then made me hate it again, and I eventually settled upon strongly disliking the story permanently.

Many parts of the city are reused from AC, but that is a good thing. Gotham city is Gotham city. It should look like it did in previous iterations. But that's where the honorable reuse of previous game assets ends.

Gameplay wise: you get glue bombs that act exactly like freeze bombs, they haven't learned that having goons fight along side nearly every single boss is not fun, and (End game spoiler) They even have Joker read a poem over the credits(instead of singing a song). The similarities between this game, and the previous games are blatantly forced.

In the end they were so afraid of being less or more than their predecessor that they became the scarlet kingsnake to the Rocksteady coral snake.

The game isn't lazy, it isn't bad. It's just cowardly. There is an aura of cowardice about this game, and while the reviewers smelled it, they did not know how to put it into words.

By the way 7.5/10. I'm happy with my purchase.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Fuzz posted:

Yes, they are locked and you need to do the previous one before doing the next one. Which is kinda dumb as poo poo because although right now I am 14/15 for the combat challenges (it maybe took me an hour or two to adjust to the combat here) I am actually a big baby at predator rooms and I'm only at 5/15 for predator challenges ("Worst Nightmare"). They are all tied to the story mode, even if you start challenge maps in the Batcave, so if you are lovely at predator maps like me and just hug gargoyles a lot and silent takedown 99% of the group then get spotted and never use any gadgets, then yes, you can probably miss out. I already finished the main story once and predator rooms don't repopulate and goons outside don't count.

5/15 predator challenge is to simply finished a predator encounter without detective mode. I have to grind the rest in NG+. I am so screwed.

edit: also shock gloves make me the worst at combat because all of a sudden I keep losing my combo. gently caress SHOCK GLOVES.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

You have a bunch of 'instant' moves that can create opportunities to do longer moves. Mix them into your combo, it also gives you additional variation points. Concussion grenades basically disable a big chunk of enemies, Glue grenades stop a single enemy, Cape stun will stun anything in front of you, Ariel Attack still gets invincibility frames on shield guys, Shock Gloves are basically god mode as long as they're on and you should be tossing out Takedowns every 2 hits.

I do need to use concussion grenades more, although I've been finding that the fuse time makes them hard to use effectively.

1) Glue grenades - Haven't gotten them yet
2) Cape stun beatdowns - Get interrupted constantly -> MORE COUNTERS
4) Shock gloves - Undeniably good, but makes strike/counter strategy even better
5) Instant takedown - The animation for this is really long, so it feels odd that it has invincibility when Batclaw pound and groundpound don't.

RadicalWall posted:

I went through the entirety of AC without taking any of the health upgrades because I figure if you're getting hit you're doing something wrong. Now they're all required upgrades right at the start and it's just such a ridiculous way to dumb down a system that worked just fine.

They really should have spread the health upgrades out, having three in a row is just stupid.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm having some fun with this game but it's crashed on me four times in two hours. Jeez.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Sidewinder Copperhead one is much more difficult if you're not good at quick-volleying some gadget I can't remember the name of that helps distinguish between real and fake. Barring that, it's possible to win without using them at all, but it sure took me about five tries.

There was a gadget that made that one easier? I just beat up on everything until I was through it all.

Yeah the boss fights here are either hit or miss. The Deathstroke and Copperhead fights are tops, hands down. The Deathstroke fight is the best part of the game, it's really a shame it comes and goes so early. Then you have boss fights that are just tedious combat (Shiva), non-issue boss fights with are either funny (Electrocutioner) or disappointing (Deadshot, seriously, it's just a normal bad guy room and you trounce him on repeat until he's done, what a letdown), or boss fights that are complete annoying and often-cheap bullshit (Bane parts 2, 3, and some of part 4).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I do need to use concussion grenades more, although I've been finding that the fuse time makes them hard to use effectively.

Power Concussion Grenades have no fuse. Generally though it's best to just fire and forget. Remember that flipping/evading away from enemies doesn't break your combo string as well and is actually a bit more reliable than countering in certain situations. I prefer to toss them on an enemy and then flip away to handle another enemy while a bunch of guys suddenly are beating the crap out of each other.

(I still miss the REC gun though. Concussion Grenades basically fill the same 'role' but they're not as fun to use.)

5) Instant takedown - The animation for this is really long, so it feels odd that it has invincibility when Batclaw pound and groundpound don't.

It's because the game is balanced around being a game. Ground Pound has a long animation because it is an instant takedown on any downed enemy (story mode logic) and because it is worth a massive amount of points (challenge room logic. In comparison the instant takedown needs to be earned (story mode logic) and allows you to instantly disable an enemy at the cost to significantly fewer points (challenge room logic.)

Origins is a little less balanced in this regard because the Shock Glove is so insanely hilariously overpowered that it kind of overshadows everything. It's fun but to be honest I kinda like it less the more I think about it. It seems like it won't be as big a deal in the challenge rooms because it may actually kill enemies too quickly for leaderboard-challenging but I may end up misreading that in the long run.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 27, 2013

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007
Just got this game, and gently caress I'm stuck after killing Deathstroke. I've been stuck in the ship for god knows how long. How am I supposed to get out?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

skystream92 posted:

Just got this game, and gently caress I'm stuck after killing Deathstroke. I've been stuck in the ship for god knows how long. How am I supposed to get out?

Use your new gadget to get out of the room, go back the way you came, and then use it again to get out of the ship. The flooded area has a pair of hooks for the line gun.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Slim Killington posted:

There was a gadget that made that one easier? I just beat up on everything until I was through it all.

Yeah the boss fights here are either hit or miss. The Deathstroke and Copperhead fights are tops, hands down. The Deathstroke fight is the best part of the game, it's really a shame it comes and goes so early. Then you have boss fights that are just tedious combat (Shiva), non-issue boss fights with are either funny (Electrocutioner) or disappointing (Deadshot, seriously, it's just a normal bad guy room and you trounce him on repeat until he's done, what a letdown), or boss fights that are complete annoying and often-cheap bullshit (Bane parts 2, 3, and some of part 4).

I found it incredibly disappointing that Lady Shiva has the exact same animations as the Martial Artist thugs and Ninjas. It seems all the effort that went into making her one of the assassins was that video intro at the start of the game.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Use your new gadget to get out of the room, go back the way you came, and then use it again to get out of the ship. The flooded area has a pair of hooks for the line gun.

When you say go back the way you came, you mean through the pipes? The steam won't stop shooting me in the face, and I haven't found a way to turn it off.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Boy I hope future Batman games do not have a segment where Batman must throw _____ grenades into the water to make platforms to float upon while he pulls himself down a passageway. Batman is 105 feet tall and can beat up 50 dudes at once but apparently has a phobia of swimming.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

skystream92 posted:

When you say go back the way you came, you mean through the pipes? The steam won't stop shooting me in the face, and I haven't found a way to turn it off.

I can't remember that specific part but if there's steam blocking your way backwards it's probably something you can turn off. It's basically just a straight walk out once you've beaten Deathstroke.

randombattle posted:

Boy I hope future Batman games do not have a segment where Batman must throw _____ grenades into the water to make platforms to float upon while he pulls himself down a passageway. Batman is 105 feet tall and can beat up 50 dudes at once but apparently has a phobia of swimming.

The Glue Grenades are seriously the laziest thing. They couldn't even think of one new feature for them?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Seconding the sentiment for the skill unlocks. At the very least it should keep track of you having already done it so that when you get to rank 10 or whatever it is, it should juts unlock. Although it should just be a pool of things you have to do instead of ranked.

It would be cool if that was changed, but it's not likely that it ever will right?

Another thing i'm trying to get used to is the predator sections. The ones i've gotten into so far don't seem to have any kind of enemy alert, like when i silently take down the first guy, the rest just stand around like they usually do because there's no collar or random shoutout to alert everybody else.

This was a bit of a problem when trying to get into The Penguins ship. I silently took down all of the guys except the 2 outside the door because there's no way to get close to them without alerting them. Then i had to chuck a baterang at them to get them to move away from the door.

I get that it's a bit more realistic but when the previous games relied a lot on baiting the rest of the enemies by taking one of them down, it takes a bit of getting used to. Is it like that all the way through the game?

randombattle posted:

If it was anyone else, trying to swim in a full combat suit loaded with heavy gadgets would make it believable that the character doesn't want to swim, but it's Batman, so....

Kin fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kin posted:

I get that it's a bit more realistic but when the previous games relied a lot on baiting the rest of the enemies by taking one of them down, it takes a bit of getting used to. Is it like that all the way through the game?

Nah, later on they get PA guys. One of your upgrades is actually the ability to disable the PA for a while to prevent that from happening if you want. You also can unlock the Sonic Batarangs pretty early on by doing the predator challenges which allow you to lure people.

• Locked thread