Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, later on they get PA guys. One of your upgrades is actually the ability to disable the PA for a while to prevent that from happening if you want. You also can unlock the Sonic Batarangs pretty early on by doing the predator challenges which allow you to lure people.

Does the lure count against you being detected? One of the earlier challenges was about not being seen (i think) which i've always taken to mean getting rid of all bad guys with silent takedowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I always had guys getting alerted to loud noises though. Seems like every time I'd knock a dude out everyone would go "ITS THE BATMAN! THE BATMAN IS HERE!"

Also speaking of mooks I really like the fights with the guys who are like OH MAN THE BATMAN IS REAL!? Mooks should never call him "the bat" or just "batman" it should always be "The Bat Man".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kin posted:

Does the lure count against you being detected? One of the earlier challenges was about not being seen (i think) which i've always taken to mean getting rid of all bad guys with silent takedowns.

It doesn't. I've gotten Unseen while using it. As long as they don't actually spot you, you're fine.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I'm enjoying it but I am really disappointed they didn't go with the original Silver Age idea. I guess that would be too different/interesting.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Gotta say I enjoyed the scene where you control the Joker as he comes to terms with his enormous boner for Batman, all the while accidentally picking up a new lady friend. The more I play the more I enjoy the story in this compared to AC, where every plot element was thrown in as an excuse to show another villain for a 30 second cameo. Even the boss fights have been great, which you can't exactly say about the previous games.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

^^^ That wasn't accidental. Manipulation is his thing.

Also, I beat the game without even realizing there was a "break their toys" thing. At all. I am a bad Batman.

EDIT: Also, the smoke that comes off the shock gloves with PhysX on High is loving awesome.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 27, 2013

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Played a bunch of multiplayer rounds with some goons. The game is rough-around-the-edges as it can get, but holy crap is Bane an absolute blast to play as. In the span of a minute I murdered a truckload of Joker goons, killed Robin by throwing a thug at him, and shattered Batman's back over my knee like the tights-wearing chump he was. As for the vigilante side of things we did see a few instances of actually good hero players who won rounds, but most of our attempts at being the Bat ended with lots of furious yelling over the 50th time you ended up throwing a batarang into a wall instead of using a takedown on a thug, and eating a magazine of lead for it. Gliding towards a target is a straight-up coin-flip to determine whether you'll actually land where you wanted to go or end up clinging to a chunk of the map, exposed to gunfire.

But I did manage to shoot Robin so hard as the Joker he partly-phased into the map geometry, vibrating the entire time:

Edit: mall cops represent (any goon worth their salt should be using the fattest archetypes at all times):

ChickenHeart fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 27, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mr.Citrus posted:

Some challenges unlock once the challenge is complete.

... yes, thanks, I didn't realize that?

What the hell does this even mean?

Sober posted:

Yes, they are locked and you need to do the previous one before doing the next one. Which is kinda dumb as poo poo because although right now I am 14/15 for the combat challenges (it maybe took me an hour or two to adjust to the combat here) I am actually a big baby at predator rooms and I'm only at 5/15 for predator challenges ("Worst Nightmare"). They are all tied to the story mode, even if you start challenge maps in the Batcave, so if you are lovely at predator maps like me and just hug gargoyles a lot and silent takedown 99% of the group then get spotted and never use any gadgets, then yes, you can probably miss out. I already finished the main story once and predator rooms don't repopulate and goons outside don't count.

5/15 predator challenge is to simply finished a predator encounter without detective mode. I have to grind the rest in NG+. I am so screwed.

edit: also shock gloves make me the worst at combat because all of a sudden I keep losing my combo. gently caress SHOCK GLOVES.

:doh:

You guys really assume everyone is a retard, huh? I HAVE unlocked every other challenge before this one. That is WHY I am so intent on unlocking this one so I can get on to the next ones.

I've tried multiple police calls with heavy guys, stunned them, started the beatdown, guy comes at me, I counter, then immediately go back to beating down the heavy, repeat until he goes down. Still not unlocking and letting me move to the next level. It's like I'm speaking another language that you peopple don't understand, I'mt alking about the ingame Combat challenged... I forget the name, there's 4 sets, one for being a detective, one for Invisible Predator poo poo, one for Exploration, and one for Combat. I'm talking about that, not Challenge rooms. If I was talking about Challenge rooms, I would have said challenge rooms. You don't even need to do a beatdown combo and then counter and then finish the beatdown in any of hte challenge rooms. I give up on trying to explain it.

Back to my point: Anyone had trouble unlocking that one? It's #9 on the list. I think my game is bugged. :smith:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Oct 27, 2013

Segway Rave
Dec 25, 2011

this is stanley barton he is the brother of the king and feels sad alot because other people don't like him much they say hes boring and not fun
The best part of this game is during the Firefly fight where the scale is a bit off so Batman is about half the size of the cars around him.

I mean, everything else was pretty great but Tiny Batman would have to be the highlight.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

The Human Crouton posted:

(End game spoiler) They even have Joker read a poem over the credits(instead of singing a song)

The version I saw had Joker singing 'Cold, cold heart'

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Ok, reading through the last few pages... I'm kind of amazed so many people liked the Deathstroke fight. Was I missing out on a thing you can do in it, because for me it went:

1) A bit of melee until a counter prompt arrives
2) QTE!
3) A bit more melee, until DS gets too close to a wall
4) Staff-roll away from a wall
5) Repeat 1-4 until you've seen all the QTEs three times, and the staff roll even more
6) He's thrown a flash bomb! Hammer the counter button as he beats on you with his staff!
7) Repeat 1-4 until you've seen all the NEW QTEs three times, and the exact same staff roll even more
8) The exact same QTE as 6, but now DS is hatless
9) Repeat 1-4 for the New New QTEs
10) The exact same QTE as 6, but now DS is hatless AND has a sword.

And then it crashed and I had to do the fight all over again.

Also, gently caress the Super-Bane 'fight'. Mr. Freeze was the best boss fight in any videogame ever, because it made you use a variety of different techniques, rather than the same one five times. Super-Bane starts like that, but once you've done the unique ones, it's just ziplining fire extinguishers?

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
Is it me or do combats feel a little faster than the previous two arkham games? I really liked the force behind the impacts in previous games because they felt so deliberate but this one feels a little too light.

Still awesome though

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
I did end up wondering if there was a "better" way of handling him, since a lot of the QTEs do very little damage. Then again, missed both propane tank QTEs and lived, so that's probably a lot of missed damage.

Only thing I managed to figure out is that quickfire Bawclaw works on him for a clothesline, wonder if New Game Plus lets any of the later gadgets work on him.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Fuzz posted:

... yes, thanks, I didn't realize that?

What the hell does this even mean?

What I mean is that it gives you completion once the challenge round is over. The medal doesn't show up mid fight, it gives it to you when the fight is all over.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Also if anyone has PS3 wbid issues and owns Injustice. For some reason Injustice is the only game that allows you to alter wbid login email/password. So if you've used the goon account to unlock skins for injustice, just alter that to your personal one and register on the site then save that in Injustice. When you load up Batman again it'll recognise your account.

Which is a fairly mental system really.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I have to say, I loved the scene where Batman figures out the Lacey Towers murder and explains to Alfred what happened - I especially liked the way Batman was taken aback by the cruelty of the killer.

I also managed to get around the Burnley Tower bug using that glitch to get up onto the roof, which was a relief. Are there any other bugs like that which seem to be coming up for everybody that I should look out for?

Jokerfish
May 3, 2007

Bait Master

I'm throwing this here in case anyone here has had issues with the WBID account linking and getting your bonus batsuit. I posted this in the steam forum but am just copy/pasting for sanity. It works on PS and XB versions as well!

SOLUTION FOUND for those who made or logged into a WBID account and never got an email or need to change the stored WBID login. I racked my brain since launching the game on thursday night trying to figure this out.

WBID covertly links your Steam/XBL/PSN profile to an account and their email autoresponses are buggy at best. Follow these steps:

Go to https://www.gothamcityimpostors.com/wbid/ and login with the account you made that is currently linked to your console/steam.

Go to the little gear icon in the upper right-hand corner and go to account settings. You may have to choose a new forum handle, so what.

UNLINK your system from your account. This is the only WB site that lets you do that. (???)

From here you can either take another shot at entering the same email in-game for another try at the autoresponse or simply create a new account at a new email address and use that one.

I created a new account with my Gmail email and was able to authenticate immediately, also relogging with my first account that never recieved the email worked upon the second try. (stay away from AOL and Hotmail accounts, people seem to be having the most issues with those.)

Good luck!

Tegan and Sankara
May 4, 2009

Some people have had a bug in the Mad Hatter sidequest relating to crossing water, but I've just completed that section and didn't get it, so you might be okay.

I really hope that is the worst section of the game, because it was pretty awful, the camera controls were terrible.

You guys talking about all the cool PhysX effects are making me jealous, I had to put the graphic settings on their lowest and then still go into the BMEngine.ini file and make some edits to get dealable framerate in the outside sections :( I knew I'd never get the best graphics on a laptop, but I could run City (and other games) without all that fuss. Has anyone else experienced massive FPS issues?

Edit: I couldn't tell if the badly out of date vent cleaning schedule in the GCPD was a comic book reference I wasn't getting, or just a joke about their invulnerability. I'm enjoying the continuation of masses of Easter Eggs, even if I miss the riddles a bit.

Tegan and Sankara fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 27, 2013

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Oh yeah, who or what is this Sionis thing that Batman keeps referring to?

I just fought Deathstroke and he's mentioned it a few times but as far as I'm aware it's never come up in the plot.

As far as i was aware, the only thing i was doing at the moment was tracking down Penguin to help me track down Black Mask (who is allegedly now dead and i'm off to investigate the crime scene).

edit: random PC Bug - Booting the game up for the first time today and all of my graphics options have been reset. Awesome!

Kin fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Oct 27, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tegan and Sankara posted:

Some people have had a bug in the Mad Hatter sidequest relating to crossing water, but I've just completed that section and didn't get it, so you might be okay.

I really hope that is the worst section of the game, because it was pretty awful, the camera controls were terrible.

Ahh, I just got that quest so I was going to go there next. I'll keep an eye out, thanks.

Kin posted:

Oh yeah, who or what is this Sionis thing that Batman keeps referring to?

Spoiling just to be on the absolute safe side - Roman Sionis is Black Mask himself.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Ahh, I just got that quest so I was going to go there next. I'll keep an eye out, thanks.

Spoiling just to be on the absolute safe side - Roman Sionis is Black Mask himself.

Ah, I'd read all of the bio stuff but must have forgotten that. Cheers.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Whoever mentioned credits being a crapshoot is absolutely right, after at least 30 games, I'm still around 1000 credits. I don't even know what you get from buying yet, so I can't even be annoyed!

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Is it harder to get Critical Strikes in this one? I'm at the Dark Knight challenge to do 20 in one free flow which I scoffed at but I'm a bad Batman I think and get get the rhythm right.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
The combat in hard is so full of counters you can keep a combo going into 12x+ easily just by standing still and mashing the counter button. They attack fast enough that the combo never stops :v:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

...I've played the entire series up through this one, and I never realized you could cut people down to reuse the gargoyle. Which is sad, since most of my predator kills are from inverted takedowns.
It also terrifies them and serves as a good distraction if you want them to turn around. It's a fantastic way to get out the really great lines from their terrified state without giving your position away and keeping that sweet unseen score.
"WHAT ARE YOU?!"

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I leave them strung up because I refuse to believe that Batman would purposefully drop an unconscious man onto his head from several meters up.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I leave them strung up because I refuse to believe that Batman would purposefully drop an unconscious man onto his head from several meters up.

I'd rather fall on my head than getting my pelvis and nuts shattered with the good old knee kick.

I never stops looking painful, especially since they added a bonecracking sound to it. :stonk:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Beat the game (first time, Hard Mode, no Hints :black101:). Was fantastic - great story, same great gameplay as City (I agree with Sessler that recycling City's gameplay worked well, but they're only getting away with it once and will need to shake things up for the next-gen). Robin Atkin Downes and Troy Baker deeply own. The effort that went into the portrayal of this earlier time in Batman's career, from the portrayal of Gordon and Barbara, to the cop enemies, right down to the thug banter and combat dialogue sold the hell out of it. Oh, and pimp visuals. My 770 was able to max it out. Gotta love the PhysX, and I really do hope that non-PC users get to one day play the games looking like this on PS4/Xbone. Given what I've heard about porting from PC to next-gen it would likely be easy to have all 3 games with most of the PC visuals on one disc.

Also, I was on TV Tropes (yes, yes, I know, TV Tropes is the devil) and there was something funny I came across that I wanted thoughts on, regarding how valid it seems or if it's overly cherry-picked. SPOILERS. BIGGIE-SIZE SPOILERS.

Joker's whole role: He robs a mob bank wearing a mask, then escapes on a vehicle that has driven through the wall, but not before dramatically unmasking. Then he starts a campaign to kill Batman, until he witnesses Batman's unwillingness to take a life, which makes him obsessed with the Dark Knight. Joker is captured halfway through, but he escapes again. During the finale, he presents Batman with a sadistic choice intending to make him break his one rule. Remind you of anything?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I take it I need some kind of upgrade to break through the breakable walls that are half way up buildings?

There's one on a comm tower and i thought that i could glide through it with enough velocity but i just keep softlanding on it and bouncing off.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Please tell me there's a way to get the Worst Nightmare "predator room" challenges in the challenge maps, and not force the player to redo a game in new game + just to have a shot at those upgrades...

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I can't get the 'Use the Sonic Batarang to lure into a takedown' - I use the Batarang to lure a guy into a place where I take him down, and it just never gives the challenge, What's the craic goons?

Axialbloom
Jul 7, 2011

My life is a series of
lapses in judgement.

Kin posted:

I take it I need some kind of upgrade to break through the breakable walls that are half way up buildings?

There's one on a comm tower and i thought that i could glide through it with enough velocity but i just keep softlanding on it and bouncing off.

How to do it - There's a window-washers cleaning lift just above it with a generator. It can be lowered to the height of the breakable boards. You do need an upgrade further into the game to activate it however - SHOCK GLOVES:science:

Axialbloom fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 27, 2013

Falsey
Nov 21, 2010

The False Face mask scared younger viewers.
:anime: :pipe: :baby:
I'm playing on hard and this Bane fight is kicking my arse.

The turning circle on his charge is so drat tight and no matter how well you time your dodge it ends up depending entirely on whether some goon is standing next to you that you'll vault over and not get far enough away. Plus if you happen to get the venom animation when you're up against a wall he's basically guaranteed at least two free hits because you can't maneuver out of the spot in time.

Ugh.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Shockeh posted:

I can't get the 'Use the Sonic Batarang to lure into a takedown' - I use the Batarang to lure a guy into a place where I take him down, and it just never gives the challenge, What's the craic goons?

I think it needs to be a 'special' takedown, not a silent one. Try throwing one at a floor grate and hide in there, then do a grate takedown.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Axialbloom posted:

How to do it - There's a window-washers cleaning lift just above it with a generator. It can be lowered to the height of the breakable boards. You do need an upgrade further into the game to activate it however - SHOCK GLOVES:science:

Ah, thanks.

Were you able to glide through walls in the previous Batman games or am I just imagining things?

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
I know this has been asked somewhere in this thread but I can't for the life of me find the answer. Where in the actual gently caress on Penguin's ship is the weapons cache that needs to be deactivated? Thanks in advance for any help!

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Kin posted:

Ah, thanks.

Were you able to glide through walls in the previous Batman games or am I just imagining things?
You definitely could, I tried doing the same thing in Origins over and over. I think he later upgrades his boots after his experiences in Origins :v:

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Crappers posted:

I know this has been asked somewhere in this thread but I can't for the life of me find the answer. Where in the actual gently caress on Penguin's ship is the weapons cache that needs to be deactivated? Thanks in advance for any help!

It's inside a container hanging from a crane on top of the ship.
You need to use the batclaw to open it.

GenSpecific
Aug 17, 2005
IT'S IDEAS LIKE THIS THAT GET PEOPLE KILLED!!!!

Slippery Tilde

Shockeh posted:

I had to wait for the guy to look at the sonic batarang and have them react to it being there before the take down to get it to count.

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008
Nice to see that the combat is still as arbitrary and frustrating as always

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Crappers posted:

It's a tricky one to spot but it's in the shipping container hanging above the deck. Use the batclaw to open it.

• Locked thread