Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell has cast its Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. Eddie Marsan (Sherlock Holmes, The World's End) will be Gilbert Norrell while Bertie Carvel (Les Miserables) will play Jonathan Strange. Marsan is a fun actor while I haven't really seen Carvel in anything so no clue how well he'll do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I'm pleased to see I'm not the only one turned off by POI lately. It's not a bad show by any means, but it's just not keeping my interest anymore. Arrow does the team superhero stuff a lot better.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

I'm pleased to see I'm not the only one turned off by POI lately. It's not a bad show by any means, but it's just not keeping my interest anymore. Arrow does the team superhero stuff a lot better.

It's been beaten in the ratings by Chicago Fire, so you're probably not the only one.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Wandle Cax posted:

It's been beaten in the ratings by Chicago Fire, so you're probably not the only one.

PoI did slightly better in the demo this week (2.2 vs 2.1) and PoI doesn't have the advantage of The Voice coming before it. Given that ratings are down pretty much across the board this year, I doubt that says anything.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anyone else going to watch NBC's Dracula show tonight?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Anyone else going to watch NBC's Dracula show tonight?

I have it set to record on my DVR but I'm not super excited about it. Early reviews and the trailers all point to it being mediocre.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

OldSenileGuy posted:

I'm telling ya, sexy mummies are right around the corner.

Sexy mummies were around in the late 90s, early 2000s. There was a sexy mummy MOTW on Buffy, and Arnold Vosloo in The Mummy was definitely sexy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

We're getting yet another GREATEST EVENT IN TELEVISION HISTORY.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

smg77 posted:

I have it set to record on my DVR but I'm not super excited about it. Early reviews and the trailers all point to it being mediocre.

I've heard nothing but terrible things about it, so of course I'm DVRing it as well.

We're getting yet another GREATEST EVENT IN TELEVISION HISTORY.

I hope we keep getting them until there are no more opening sequences that haven't been redone. :allears:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Tommy Wiseau had a webseries reviewing video games for Machinima last year?

Wait, let me rephrase that: of course Tommy Wiseau had a webseries reviewing video games for Machinima last year.

Anyone remember the BBC Adaptation of The Tripods? I just randomly remembered it and found out it was never released outside of Region 2. I don't remember it being as creepy as the books, but that it was pretty drat good when I saw it on PBS.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
We were talking Dracula earlier? Because Dan Fienberg had some words to say about it. Over 2,000 of them. None of them nice.

Dan Fienberg posted:

The actual villains in this "Dracula" are The Order of the Dragon, an ancient order played by an assortment of familiar faces from British TV. There's Lady Edith's newspaper editor beau! There's Patrick from "Coupling"! Now Dracula is a vampire and he's insanely wealthy and he has speed and physical gifts which, like I've said, we've only barely begun to see, but he's inexplicably made the decision that rather than just going and slaughtering the Order of the Dragon en masse, he'd rather hit them where it truly hurts. Now, again, you're probably thinking, "Isn't the jugular where it truly hurts?" No. Dracula is waging an economic war on the Order, which has become powerful not so much through leading the Crusades or the ongoing "Downton Abbey"-style entrenchment of the British upper class, but rather through their savvy investment in oil interests. The Order of the Dragon may have a kickbutt name, but their only menace comes from the assumption that oil company executives are inherently evil.

So Dracula's plan is to introduce a new energy source that will devalue The Order's oil interests and... Oh Dear God. If you're Dracula and you want to get revenge on people, you make yourself an army of vampires and you tear everybody associated with those people into little bits. Your plan is "Murder, pillage, wipe the blood from my mouth" not "Boy I bet it'll make them disappointed if their stock takes a dip."

EDIT: Jessica De Gouw, AKA The Actress They Hired To Play Huntress To Assure People That Katie Cassidy Could Indeed Be Worse, plays Mina Harker. Staying the hell away.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 26, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently he missed the plot point where Dracula lays out that in the past the Order of the Dragon actually did go around slaughtering villages full of people and that their new method is through economic control and not just because they own oil companies.

(Also Dracula does just straight up murder one of the Order of Dragon guys.)

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Apparently he missed the plot point where Dracula lays out that in the past the Order of the Dragon actually did go around slaughtering villages full of people and that their new method is through economic control and not just because they own oil companies.

Sigh... This is one case where I really don't want the history filled out later. They needed to debut with why Dracula hates Those Fuckers and his fall from grace (presumably the fault of said Fuckers, with a lot of blood involved). They should make us HATE these guys before we even get to the "present". Not to mention that a little medieval action would make for an exciting first episode.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

No I think he got that, he's saying why is Dracula playing their game when he's a superhuman beast who should be able to gently caress up these dudes with ease.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

precision posted:

Anyone remember the BBC Adaptation of The Tripods? I just randomly remembered it and found out it was never released outside of Region 2. I don't remember it being as creepy as the books, but that it was pretty drat good when I saw it on PBS.

You're probably better off asking in the UK TV thread.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
For those of you still not watching Sleepy Hollow, FX is marathoning all 5 aired episodes today.

Watch Sleepy Hollow.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

It's a great show, but if you watch the first episode and don't immediately like it you aren't going to like the rest of it most likely.

There were only like 1-2 people in the thread who couldn't appreciate its hilarious lunacy though.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

precision posted:

Tommy Wiseau had a webseries reviewing video games for Machinima last year?

Wait, let me rephrase that: of course Tommy Wiseau had a webseries reviewing video games for Machinima last year.

I've been waiting for years and years for a BSG-style up-to-date re-imagining of the Tripods to be announced because that could potentially be some super-creepy eerie poo poo if done correctly.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's being reported that Marcia Wallace, best known for being the voice of Mrs. Krabappel on The Simpsons, has died at age 70.

Sad news. :(

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Midnight City posted:

It's a great show, but if you watch the first episode and don't immediately like it you aren't going to like the rest of it most likely.

There were only like 1-2 people in the thread who couldn't appreciate its hilarious lunacy though.

I'm not in that thread but I thought the pilot was really corny and leaned too heavily on "WHAT SORCERY IS THIS FLASH-LIGHT" gags but it settled into itself and got really good by the third ep. That said, If you aren't into it by the third or fourth installment, then the show's not for you.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Season 3 of Raising Hope got added to Netflix. Its the season where they start making the big changes like Jimmy and Sabrina getting married and moving out of Burt and Virginia's house.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I'm not in that thread but I thought the pilot was really corny and leaned too heavily on "WHAT SORCERY IS THIS FLASH-LIGHT" gags but it settled into itself and got really good by the third ep. That said, If you aren't into it by the third or fourth installment, then the show's not for you.

I'd have to disagree. For a major show I think they've done a phenomenal job of avoiding the really obvious/dumb time traveler memes. For example, instead of having a WHAT IS THIS HORSELESS CARRIAGE moment the first time Crane sees a car, they instead don't say anything about it but have a 5 second scene later where Crane is mesmerized by the power windows going up/down. When handed a pistol and told that it's a gun, Crane scoffs because of course he knows how guns work. Later on he shoots it, drops it, and runs away, only to be surprised when told it can fire more than once.

There's a couple of other really good ones too, but I don't want to just list them all and spoil it for people. Point being, I think they've done a much better job than can be expected with that stuff. Instead of being a goofy fish-out-of-water character, Crane's instead an intelligent, competent man who understands that the future is different and isn't constantly surprised by every little thing.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

His accent is absolutely hilarious though.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

VDay posted:

I'd have to disagree. For a major show I think they've done a phenomenal job of avoiding the really obvious/dumb time traveler memes. For example, instead of having a WHAT IS THIS HORSELESS CARRIAGE moment the first time Crane sees a car, they instead don't say anything about it but have a 5 second scene later where Crane is mesmerized by the power windows going up/down. When handed a pistol and told that it's a gun, Crane scoffs because of course he knows how guns work. Later on he shoots it, drops it, and runs away, only to be surprised when told it can fire more than once.

There's a couple of other really good ones too, but I don't want to just list them all and spoil it for people. Point being, I think they've done a much better job than can be expected with that stuff. Instead of being a goofy fish-out-of-water character, Crane's instead an intelligent, competent man who understands that the future is different and isn't constantly surprised by every little thing.

What I like is that it's less surprise and more a sense of wonder at the future. He's not going "What devilry be these metal conveyances?!" he's saying "These doughnuts really are good..."

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
My favorite technology gag is when the cop gives him a gun and starts explaining how to use it, and he gets really indignant about it with an attitude like, "I'm not an idiot and I'm not from medieval times or something, I know how to use a gun. :colbert:" But then he thinks it only fires once like guns in his time, so shoots at the bad guy once, then drops it and runs.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
What is better than that is that later on he fires multiple times, but always in single shots and in a duellist pose.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

OK OK you convinced me geez

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Omelette du Fromage posted:

OK OK you convinced me geez

Sleepy Hollow is really, really good. I don't even know why I put off watching it. It's seriously fantastic.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
The best line is still, "A 10% LEVY ON BAKED GOODS?!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Azure_Horizon posted:

It totally is. I had to rewind I laughed so hard. That dude is selling it.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I watched four episodes of Arrow, but really, the actress that plays the lawyer (or maybe reporter? it's been a while) and the actor that plays her father the angry police detective are terrible, awful actors. So I couldn't really stomach any more of that just for the promise of Evil John Barrowman.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Azure_Horizon posted:

I think my favorite moment is still the Northstar open from episode 4.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Tupping Liberty posted:

I think my favorite moment is still the Northstar open from episode 4.

It's the scene that sold me 100% on the show. That and the literally one Native American in town having a shed behind his used car dealership already perfectly equipped for dealing with a nightmare demon.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 27, 2013

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

SunshineDanceParty posted:

It's the scene that sold me 100% on the show. That and the literally one Native American in town having a shed behind his used car dealership already perfectly equipped for dealing with a nightmare demon.

The best part of that was him acting all offended like "Oooh, of course White Man, of course the Indian has all manner of sacred magic that can help you" and then, of course, he does.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Spatula City posted:

I watched four episodes of Arrow, but really, the actress that plays the lawyer (or maybe reporter? it's been a while) and the actor that plays her father the angry police detective are terrible, awful actors. So I couldn't really stomach any more of that just for the promise of Evil John Barrowman.

Paul Blackthorne gets better when they give him more to work with. Unfortunately they still haven't done anything with Katie Cassidy's character.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Cassidy was good in Supernatural. I think her problems in Arrow are, as Flatscan said, the material she's given. Mind you, you could actually see her face in Supernatural, perhaps the ludicrous amounts of make-up she's plastering on now might also be obscuring her acting.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ChickenMedium posted:

The best part of that was him acting all offended like "Oooh, of course White Man, of course the Indian has all manner of sacred magic that can help you" and then, of course, he does.

The car lot set is really well dressed too. It has stuff from several different tribes and really sells the sell-out angle.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Finally finished the first three seasons of Justified. Honestly, season 3 might be the weakest so far. Robert Quarles just doesn't stack up to Boyd or The Bennetts. It also felt like the plot was totally lost at certain points. Can't wait for season 4 to come out on Blu-Ray.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 27, 2013

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Quarles is interesting if only because he's unlike every other criminal on the show. Everyone in Harlan is hard, but usually there's a method to their madness. Quarles, on the other hand, is a straight up lunatic and its great watching everybody react to that kind of evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Sleepy Hollow is hilariously dumb fun, but the well done and silly kind of dumb instead of, say, the Blacklist.

Plus it already is lined up for two seasons so there's no need to wait six months to see if Fox is going to yank it early.

• Locked thread