Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Release date: November 15th, 2013 for NA, November 29th, 2013 for EU
Single Player trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzyibMjn7YE
Multiplayer trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3F7GFs0i5A

This is the thread for Killzone: Shadow fall, and now before anything else I am just going to lay this out first since this seems to be everyone's first questions about next gen games.

-Game runs in 1080p native resolution
-For SINGLE PLAYER game runs at 30 fps
-For MULTIPLAYER game runs at 60 fps

Ok now with that out of the way back to the thread.

What is Killzone: Shadow Fall?

KZ:SF is the latest entry in the Sony exclusive franchise of Killzone. This will be a launch title for the Playstation 4 console, and will be Sony's premiere first party offering for the launch. Killzone is set is a gritty sci-fi universe where Earth's colonies are in a war against the Helghast(who are pretty much literal Space Nazi's), they are some pretty rude dudes who are really into the anime Jin-Roh and they want to shoot your head off. Game naturally features both a Single player campaign as well as Adversarial and Co-op Multiplayer modes.

Single Player Campaign

Killzone: Shadow fall is set 30 years after the ending of Killzone 3. After destroying the Helghast homeworld, the ISA has allowed Helghan refugees to live on the planet Vetka. Conflict arises as both societies are having issues integrating with one another and a giant wall is built to separate both cultures(Sony PR very much wants you to know they are intentionally pushing a Berlin wall analogy). The game begins with tension among both sides at an all time high and the threat of the cold war that has been blooming to turn hot.

Campaign highlights include:

- Guerrilla Games states the campaign weighs in at around 10 hours for the average player.
- Open ended mission structure, while there is still a point A and point B there is multiple routes to get to where you want to go on any given objective.
- Game is intended to be a jumping in point for new players to the franchise. No particular special knowledge of the previous games will be needed.
- Say hello to the OWL, your drone buddy throughout the campaign, I will just put the official marketing spiel here.
code:
What exactly is an OWL?
“The OWL is an advanced hovering attack drone used exclusively by the Shadow Marshals to give them all kinds of tactical abilities in the field.
It attaches itself onto the Shadow Marshal’s suit until he gives it an order.
When damaged, the OWL automatically returns and regenerates health until it receives an order again.”

What can the OWL do?
“The OWL has several modes you can access via the new PS4 Controller Touch Pad: Attack Mode, Zipline Mode, Stun Mode and Shield Mode.

Attack Mode orders the OWL to move to an area and attack anyone within range; alternatively, you can tell it to attack a single enemy directly.

Zipline Mode gets the OWL to fire a zipline, allowing the Shadow Marshal to traverse incredibly quickly from point A to B.

Stun Mode is similar to Attack Mode, but lets the OWL use up its energy to create
 an area-of-effect shock blast that turns off all nearby electronics and stuns humanoid enemies within range.

Lastly, Shield Mode creates an energy shield right in front of the Shadow Marshal,
allowing bullets/projectiles to pass through from his POV but stopping bullets coming in from the other side.”
Multiplayer

-Up to 24 players Multiplayer
-10 maps at launch
-22 weapons with 3 classes
-All weapons unlocked at start(not attachments though, those are unlocked by challenges)
-No level system, instead features 1500 MP challenges(with more coming with updates)
-Game will run on dedicated servers
-All DLC maps will be free of charge

Classes:

Each class has a set of weapons it is able to choose from, and an ability pool to pick from(each class can only have 2 active abilities at one time).

Assault

Your standard shootman! The Assault gets the assault rifles, and fun attachments like the underslung grenade launcher(aka the pro pipe). Their Mandatory class ability is the Nano shield, which is an energy shield deployable that you can shoot through, yet is impermeable to enemy bullets.

Other abilities the Assault can pick from are

-Speed Dash: Engage in a sudden burst of speed and run much faster than normally possible for a brief time.
-Stun Blast: Stun and blind nearby foes(think flashbang).
-Buddy Drone: The buddy drone is your best pal! Deploy him and it will hang around near you and shoot all nearby foes.

Scout

Hey this is the sniper class and thus probably the most popular class in the game by default. While he has more weapons available to him than just a Sniper rifle don't kid yourself it is probably what you are gonna use. Their Mandatory ability is Tactical Echo, send out a pulse throughout the map that can show enemy players and deployables through walls.

Other abilities the Scout can pick from are

-Cloak: You can become (mostly)invisible to other players. While the cloak is active the Scout may ONLY use the Knife, any other weapon will render the cloak inactive.
-Emergency Teleport: Randomly teleports you to any part of the map. Has a very long cooldown time.
-Stun Drone: A flying drone that will wait in the area it is deployed in until it spots an enemy player. When attacking a foe it will go off and stun all nearby players.

Support

Support is the grab-bag class, engineer and medic rolled up into one that can also use a 3 barreled minigun. Their mandatory class ability is the Revive drone, which will revive teammates at 25% health, and give them some bonus ammo upon revive.

Other abilities the Support can pick from are

-Air Support Drone: A drone that flies up from where it is deployed, and shoots at any foes with a mounted chaingun.
-Spawn Beacon: Pretty much what you think, a beacon that your team can spawn on.
-Turret: Also what you think, a big fat turret that shoots anything that comes near.
-Supply Box: A deployable that refills the health and ammo of your teammates.
-Support Teleport: Teleport to any teammate on the map, long cooldown time.

Media

Multiplayer Footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xdpSw8aaEE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7ocDUQzos8
https://mega.co.nz/#!VtlCRDaL!T9VUfnQDsulcBt3usnnkU1_qNCAkS1xTeHdtKYhs2tA
(Super high quality vid of MP from a build from a few months ago)

E3 footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDfu1mYQXEg

*if anyone wants anything added to the OP, don't be afraid to ask!*

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Play with KZ:SF Goons!

Google Doc list of Players:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApgoTnajm3jEdDlFMVlHMnRmT21QYTFzVHd4bmpJRXc&usp=sharing#gid=0

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1N1SGY-HZyMqxqcizWYsMFij05VLHD3eLHUGAF3UifYY/viewform

How to get into a game with a group a friends if you are not in a match
Invite everyone to a part chat (outside of Killzone from the OS menus).
When everyone is in the party chat, go back to Killzone and pick a Warzone to join.
You'll go to a 'ready up' screen, and when everyone is ready (or whenever the person who picked the Warzone to join hits 'X') you will all go into a game on the same team if there are 7 or fewer people in your party

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 18, 2013

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Do I remember it correctly that the download will be 48GB and that you can star to play after the first 7GB have been downloaded?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

limaCAT posted:

Do I remember it correctly that the download will be 48GB and that you can star to play after the first 7GB have been downloaded?

My understanding is yes it is playable after the first 7.5 gigs, which will entail the first portion of the single player campaign. This article goes into greater detail http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-24-why-killzone-shadow-fall-is-almost-40gb-it-used-to-be-290

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The single player actually runs at an unlocked framerate, 35+. This is something only visible around 51 minutes into this uStream archive running the version that went gold (and not youtube): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/40142006
Clearly smoother and "faster" than anything on youtube, even when watching youtube with a HTML5 browser. Pre-gold versions ran at the press-event, pre-gold video was shared alongside it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I guess we will see how good the game is. Killzone 2 had a good Multiplayer with a mediocre single player and terrible controls.

Killzone 3 fixed the controls but ruined the multiplayer. I am guessing that Warzone will be returning?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I love gritty. I love sci-fi. I love Cold War themes. Oh man I cannot wait :allears:

This might be the first FPS game I'll actually play a decent amount of on a console, just because it looks so cool and I can't get it on a PC. And I'm going to have that console hype when I unbox my PS4.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
30 fps in the single player?

That alone kinda makes me want to cancel the pre-order and start saving for a proper PC.

rooth baybee
Apr 15, 2013

Hey youuuu guysssss!
I'm pretty excited to see what they've done with the power of this system that we haven't seen and hasn't been shown. I wish there were some more titles at launch that had my interest though.

eames
May 9, 2009

Ramagamma posted:

30 fps in the single player?

That alone kinda makes me want to cancel the pre-order and start saving for a proper PC.

:ssh: With the amount of Xbox One players canceling their preorders at the moment you can probably sell the PS4 on ebay with a decent markup on launch day.

I really regret my PS4+Drive Club bundle now, Killzone looks like the best launch title out there now.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Have they mentioned anything about alternate aiming options with either the touchpad or the motion sensors? Making slight adjustments using motion controls in Uncharted: Golden Abyss was surprisingly good, and there have been a lot of people saying how much easier it is to aim with the Steam Controller.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
What is the goon presence like on multi-player for the killzone games? Do the games have clan systems or anything? Also how quick is the drop off in playerbase? Is it like the far cry games where there is almost no-one playing after a couple of months?

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
This game is the reason I'm getting a PS4 at launch ( albeit I'm excited for Resogun as well ). It looks absolutely gorgeous, I enjoyed Mercenary on PSVita quite a bit ( which makes me hopeful for this game's single-player campaign ), and I like the fact that everything is unlocked ( in multiplayer ) from the get-go, giving me freedom to test the weapons and just play for my leisure.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Good OP, cool looking game, excited for these 18 or so days to zoom by so I can start The Next Generation of Video Games (tm).

One cool thing to add to the OP would be that spreadsheet everyone added their PSNs to. I don't have it right now on my phone, but it might help set up MP games and whatnot. This is my launch game (alongside Madden or Injustice), so I'll be playing online after finishing the story, for sure (PSN is SA_Soul_Glo).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I ordered the Amazon Killzone bundle, so I'm ready to get back into things. I had loads of fun with goons in 2's multiplayer so hopefully this will be just as fun, if not more. I'll be mostly playing as support. I always liked the LMGs and I see that they get the shotgun pistol, which I'm eager to use again. I'm not quite sure which secondary ability I'll pick - I always liked using turrets but the spawn beacon is back and that was pretty invaluable in 2's multiplayer.

Does anyone have plans to get the coop DLC?

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
I love the blood splatter effects shown in this gif here.

That it goes out the back and can stain what's behind the person just blows my mind.

Doogie Howser
Jul 1, 2011
I'm still undecided about getting KZ:SF. I tried KZ2 but wasn't impressed, KZ franchise was never interesting for me. Im no COD jerk either.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

If I blew up a space nazi home planet I dont think I would allow them to live on my planet afterwards, it just doesnt seem good for business.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Doogie Howser posted:

I'm still undecided about getting KZ:SF. I tried KZ2 but wasn't impressed, KZ franchise was never interesting for me. Im no COD jerk either.

Killzone 2's good points had nearly nothing to do with the single player campaign (the last level being a key exception, it was pretty insane overall), and if multiplayer isn't your thing, then sadly there's not a whole lot to it as a package that could be considered enticing. The multiplayer WAS pretty awesome though, for a console FPS.

Scob posted:

If I blew up a space nazi home planet I dont think I would allow them to live on my planet afterwards, it just doesnt seem good for business.

I'm guessing the ISA didn't get much choice in the matter, if you take into account the (vastly more interesting) story website alongside of the narrative in the games themselves.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Yowza. Look at the lighting on the face, the highlight on the lips and just under the eye. Also the way the shadow falls (heh). High def link

You can download loads of high def pics here if this hasn't been posted already.

http://www.killzone.com/kz3/killzone-shadowfall/gallery.html#/?content-id=ne131022_01

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

blackguy32 posted:

Killzone 3 fixed the controls but ruined the multiplayer. I am guessing that Warzone will be returning?

Warzone will be a returning feature yes. Big thing they are harping on is players can create their own custom warzones(like invisible, knives only etc etc) and the best ones will be thrown into the official loop. As for other game modes I am not seeing anything officially announced yet but I assume all the classic standbys will be in.

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

What is the goon presence like on multi-player for the killzone games? Do the games have clan systems or anything? Also how quick is the drop off in playerbase? Is it like the far cry games where there is almost no-one playing after a couple of months?

Well I dunno I will be playing :shobon: I actually had a bf4 pre-order paid in full and I traded it up for KZ after the big media info-dump about a week ago. The games focus is pretty clearly multiplayer unlike something like FC3. As for clan support there was for 2 and 3 so I assume there will be for Shadow fall, they are being surprisingly tight lipped on a lot of things still so who knows.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 27, 2013

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Your bit on OWLs is breaking tables. Breaking the last two lines could make the OP a lot easier to read.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Evil Canadian, can you add the torrent of the 950MB MP video to the OP? I'm on my phone right now so I can't look for it, but Ularg should still have it. I'm still seeing when I can, and hopefully more people could do the same when they see this thread.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Killzone never really struck me as being worth paying attention to but are the Helghast supposed to be actually racially evil? I mean isn't it made by a Japanese company?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Anatharon posted:

Killzone never really struck me as being worth paying attention to but are the Helghast supposed to be actually racially evil? I mean isn't it made by a Japanese company?
They are owned by Sony but are located in the Netherlands and UK.

And id you read the lore, you realized the ISA are the real bad guys but you never really see that in the first 3 games.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

limaCAT posted:

the download will be 48GB

I was looking forward to going all Steam-like with the PS4, but if the size that games are going to be then gently caress that.

I'm another one of those PC elitists who chuckled at Killzone and GoldenEye back in the day and doesn't know what he'll play since id and Epic apparently ran out of ideas and Valve has better things to do. This one is at a "maybe".

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
There's one thing I need to know: did they fix that goddamn "camera is behind the gun, not your character's line of sight" design choice they had in KZ2? I get what they were going for, but I'll sacrifice logic for not having a character that feels like he's 4'10.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Craptacular! posted:

I was looking forward to going all Steam-like with the PS4, but if the size that games are going to be then gently caress that.

Eh it wont be long before that sort of size becomes standard on Steam for bigger titles. Once publishers get used to that sort of disc space on consoles (which they didn't this gen because of the 360) they'll stop worrying about file compression across all platforms.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Steve2911 posted:

Eh it wont be long before that sort of size becomes standard on Steam for bigger titles.

That would mean basically storing one game at a time on an SSD.

We used to think PCs would do nothing but get faster and faster, but eventually we hit something of a plateau and the focus lately has been making hardware cooler and more power efficient. I have to think asset resourcefulness along those lines will fit in with coding as well. All it takes is one person to do it and then license it out to all the publishers the same way almost everything is running Unreal right now.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

That would mean basically storing one game at a time on an SSD.

We used to think PCs would do nothing but get faster and faster, but eventually we hit something of a plateau and the focus lately has been making hardware cooler and more power efficient. I have to think asset resourcefulness along those lines will fit in with coding as well. All it takes is one person to do it and then license it out to all the publishers the same way almost everything is running Unreal right now.

It's because we've reached a bottleneck in Hard drive capacity. The way harddrive capacity essentially works today is they stack platters on top of each other and eventually you reach a point where you can't stack any more before it starts to become unstable. We're also reaching a similar bottleneck with silicon processors.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

VarXX posted:

It's because we've reached a bottleneck in Hard drive capacity. The way harddrive capacity essentially works today is they stack platters on top of each other and eventually you reach a point where you can't stack any more before it starts to become unstable. We're also reaching a similar bottleneck with silicon processors.

Is it true that this capacity ceiling isn't really a thing with SSDs, and so they will eventually surpass HDDs in storage and one ay make them obsolete?

Reive
May 21, 2009

Almost Smart posted:

There's one thing I need to know: did they fix that goddamn "camera is behind the gun, not your character's line of sight" design choice they had in KZ2? I get what they were going for, but I'll sacrifice logic for not having a character that feels like he's 4'10.

Well to be fair I'm pretty sure Sev is actually short compared to other characters, although I think they did fix that in 3, at least I remember being face to face when looking at other people.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
So hyped for this. I played Mercenary Beta on Vita and then looked up gameplay of this, and was sold instantly.

Also the Eurogamer panel really sold me on their vision for multiplayer.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

BreakAtmo posted:

Is it true that this capacity ceiling isn't really a thing with SSDs, and so they will eventually surpass HDDs in storage and one ay make them obsolete?

From what I understand the capacity ceiling is actually much lower.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

VarXX posted:

From what I understand the capacity ceiling is actually much lower.

Really? My understanding was that there's only so much information you can physically store on a platter, while SSDs can potentially do more (they just don't because of cost, which will eventually come down).

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
That's kind of why I figured compression techniques won't become obsolete and games will become huge, they're more likely to become more efficient and widespread. You can't store a lot on an SSD, but what you can store can be accessed very quickly and the bottleneck in streaming this data will lie elsewhere, such as memory. Which is why the PS4 having a whole bunch of very fast memory is sort of a good thing.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Mr. Fowl posted:

Your bit on OWLs is breaking tables. Breaking the last two lines could make the OP a lot easier to read.

Ah yeah, depending on your resolution things that are in code tags can be wonky, I fixed that up.

BreakAtmo posted:

Evil Canadian, can you add the torrent of the 950MB MP video to the OP? I'm on my phone right now so I can't look for it, but Ularg should still have it. I'm still seeing when I can, and hopefully more people could do the same when they see this thread.

If I can get a link to it absolutely, I don't know where to find it offhand though.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Evil Canadian posted:

If I can get a link to it absolutely, I don't know where to find it offhand though.

I tried 'Copy Magnet URL to Clipboard' in Vuze and it gave me this:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:HCMFUJIHCZXKXQQWN34R7IRAXPW4VEQI&dn=KillzoneShadowFall%20Multiplayer.rar&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.ccc.de%3A80%2Fannounce

Hopefully it works. There's also the MEGA download here, but it didn't work for some people: https://mega.co.nz/#!VtlCRDaL!T9VUfnQDsulcBt3usnnkU1_qNCAkS1xTeHdtKYhs2tA

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Who needs Titanfall...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nwodEWQinI

when you have Shadowfall?

Edit: also "PS4: clouds are rendered locally".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I probably shouldn't be so shy of multiplayer modes, since I just booted up Killzone 2 to try out the multiplayer again. Having the objective changing every time it's completed really adds to the variety in the gameplay, with the added benefit of not needing any additional loading screens.

I was picked as the assassination target, and was fortified in a room with four other players. As the timer ticked down and the five of us were picking apart the guys trying to get through the entrance (although my poorly thrown grenade didn't help, at least no-one got hurt), one of the Helghast snuck up through the entrance behind me, and riddled me with bullets before I could turn around. As I lay on the floor, I was congratulated for successfully surviving my assassination, which must have happened milliseconds before I was killed.

I'm definitely looking forward to the multiplayer in Shadow Fall, especially since they apparently have the team from 2 back on it again. The 1GB multiplayer footage looked oustanding, too.

• Locked thread