Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Does the new Opera have support for FastForward yet? If not, who do I have to kill to get it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I've been running 18 for the past few days, and it's been pretty solid. The only thing I wish it had was a working Hangouts extension (the Chrome extension installs, but doesn't let you sign in or anything), but that's never going to happen.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

tonberrytoby posted:

Adblock Plus
Add to Search Bar
All-in-One Gestures
Context Search
Customizable Shortcuts
Download Statusbar
Extended Statusbar
Flashblock
FVD speed dial
Open Bookmarks in New Tab

More stuff I'm using to make FF more Opera-like:
keyconfig
Paste and Go Hotkey
Space Next
Stylish
Tab Mix Plus
Vertical Tabs

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I'm probably the worst Opera user period, I really just need to know two things before upgrading/swapping away. Did they finally re-add bookmarks, and do I still have a Notes panel?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Classic bookmarks are still work in progress, or that's what the majority of the posters over at the Desktop Blog believe.
There is a QAB (quick access bar) you can enable, that shows up under the tabs bar and you can store bookmarks. I think they are still stabilizing this; it'll probably be available in Opera 18.
There's also an extension for bookmarks, but I've never used it, so I can't speak more of it.

Notes panel is a no.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Regarding switching away from Opera:

I have a userjs script that's fairly heavily customized (read: big mess of a hackjob) that I use to make my job easier. I really don't want to write myself a new extension/script/whatever if I switch to Firefox or Chrome. Where can I go to commission someone to write a similar script for me for one of these other browsers?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

(In response to me asking what they're using for twitter)

If I hadn't read about 17 in this thread I wouldn't know there was another version of Opera available.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

AbstractNapper posted:

Classic bookmarks are still work in progress, or that's what the majority of the posters over at the Desktop Blog believe.
There is a QAB (quick access bar) you can enable, that shows up under the tabs bar and you can store bookmarks. I think they are still stabilizing this; it'll probably be available in Opera 18.
There's also an extension for bookmarks, but I've never used it, so I can't speak more of it.

Notes panel is a no.

I can confirm that the QAB should improve in a version or three.

(The exact details include some recently improved inter-team communication.)

Xenthalon
Jun 28, 2010

lowcrabdiet posted:

Regarding switching away from Opera:

I have a userjs script that's fairly heavily customized (read: big mess of a hackjob) that I use to make my job easier. I really don't want to write myself a new extension/script/whatever if I switch to Firefox or Chrome. Where can I go to commission someone to write a similar script for me for one of these other browsers?

I switched to Chrome a week ago, and installed the Tampermonkey extension. This allows me to paste my own user.js scripts in there and they all work fine. However, my user.js scripts aren't very big or sophisticated, so no idea if yours will work.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Opera 19 Developer is out. Mainly just bug fixes (with its own few issues), though. They have a new 'Advanced settings' toggle under Settings>Browser, but it only rearranges two options that already existed. :geno:

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I haven't really been following post opera 12 development. Are mouse gestures in yet? Can I get opera 9.2-like keyboard shortcuts?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I don't remember what 9.2 shortcuts are, but here's the help page on shortcuts and mouse gestures. Nothing is customizable, though they do have a handful of "advanced" ones that use standard keys w/o modifiers.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Doom Goon posted:

I don't remember what 9.2 shortcuts are, but here's the help page on shortcuts and mouse gestures. Nothing is customizable, though they do have a handful of "advanced" ones that use standard keys w/o modifiers.

Have they indicated on their roadmap when gesture and keyboard customization will make its return?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Opera hasn't indicated poo poo.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

tonberrytoby posted:

Addons:
Adblock Plus
Add to Search Bar
All-in-One Gestures
Context Search
Customizable Shortcuts
Download Statusbar
Extended Statusbar
Flashblock
FVD speed dial
Open Bookmarks in New Tab

also, Rikaisama, Lastpass and SALR, but I already had them on Opera.

Plorkyeran posted:

More stuff I'm using to make FF more Opera-like:
keyconfig
Paste and Go Hotkey
Space Next
Stylish
Tab Mix Plus
Vertical Tabs
Oh, nice. Between these two lists and poking around to add a few other things (mostly some addons I used in Opera like Ghostery) this let me finally just migrate over to Firefox yesterday. I've been kind of hesitating about it, but enough critical sites had started to break or run poorly (Gmail, etc) that it just became inevitable that I'd have to swap over. If anything the browser runs a whole lot better without all the various bugs and javascript-related slowdowns, and I've adjusted to Firefox's tab groups pretty quickly.

It's still a bit sad though, I used Opera since... gently caress, 1998 or something? But the new version just cut too much, and 12 had gotten too out of date. I don't think I'll ever go back now that I have a suitably adulterated Firefox too, even if Opera gets itself back in shape... why bother when I can keep using something with actual market share instead? :smith: I can't even imagine how many users they've hemorrhaged over the past few months who are similarly totally lost customers.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
So I tried out Opera 17. It feels more different from my old Opera install then my Firefox does.
Probably won`t be changing back.
I had been using Opera since it became add-supported.

Interestingly I still think that Opera mobile is superior to the other mobile Browsers. Even with the bad lastpass support.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Asimo posted:

I can't even imagine how many users they've hemorrhaged over the past few months who are similarly totally lost customers.

The only statistics I've found have shown that Opera's market share has grown, but only by under 1 percentage point, so it could just as well be noise. Nothing indicates that it is changing in any significant manner.

I've used Firefox for social media sites and I'm able to reliably crash it by opening enough tabs from my Twitter feed (tens of tabs, but fewer than 100). Opera 12 very rarely crashes for me, I just have to restart it every week or two because it's consuming over 3 gigs of memory and refusing to show certain images or apply stylesheets. I guess I could try some Chrome-related browser. I just hesitate because I don't want to depend on Google for yet another service.

Wheany fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 25, 2013

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Asimo posted:

I can't even imagine how many users they've hemorrhaged over the past few months who are similarly totally lost customers.
It is measurable in Million USD:

http://www.operasoftware.com/company/investors/finance

3Q12: 18.5 MUSD of 56.4 MUSD
4Q12: 16.6 MUSD of 60.7 MUSD
1Q13: 17.5 MUSD of 62.0 MUSD
2Q13: 14.2 MUSD of 73.1 MUSD
3Q13: 13.8 MUSD of 75.5 MUSD

Left number is the revenue from desktop installations, right number is total revenue for the period. They're successfully replacing and surpassing desktop income with mobile income.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 25, 2013

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Wow, you're right. This makes me less nervous about the future of the company. At least Mobile is a success.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

As a desktop user i'm not particularly thrilled.

As for the mobile, isn't their new Opera Mobile also just a Chrome clone?

rpop
Dec 17, 2003

noveo@ace

Seeing as how they've trashed the browser to the point where it can't do almost anything it used to be able to do, maybe it's time to rename the thread?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
At least they developed the extension that allows you to install Chrome extensions. I guess that's something, although Chrome's security is probably a lot better in these days of surveillance.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

So Opera is changing their My Opera thing over to a new blog format, and getting rid of their user blogging platform. If you follow a feed or (for whatever reason) have an old blog you might want to update or save it before March. They're also discontinuing their My Opera email. For basically everything else (Link is probably the big one, but forums, add-on comments, etc.) the My Opera account information will work as the new Opera account, which is pretty much how it works already.

Opera's definitely, ah, getting streamlined, I'll give them that.

Raften
May 20, 2007
Cognates! They stay crunchy, even in milk!
The Opera Thread. Yeah, Opera can do Chrome

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
More like Chrome can do Opera :(.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Raften posted:

The Opera Thread. Yeah, Opera can do Chrome
Not even close, but nice wishful thinking. :smith:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The Opera Thread or how to switch to Firefox

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
The Opera Thread: Your guide to the best Firefox & Chrome Extensions

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
Opera: The fat lady sung.

Reith
Jul 23, 2007

Doom Goon posted:

So Opera is changing their My Opera thing over to a new blog format, and getting rid of their user blogging platform. If you follow a feed or (for whatever reason) have an old blog you might want to update or save it before March. They're also discontinuing their My Opera email. For basically everything else (Link is probably the big one, but forums, add-on comments, etc.) the My Opera account information will work as the new Opera account, which is pretty much how it works already.

Opera's definitely, ah, getting streamlined, I'll give them that.

Seriously? Man, gently caress Opera. I knew I was stupid to use their email service.

Luckily I always kept Gmail as my main, but now I have a few things tied up in my Opera email that would be very difficult to move over.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Nevermind.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

Reith posted:

Seriously? Man, gently caress Opera. I knew I was stupid to use their email service.

Luckily I always kept Gmail as my main, but now I have a few things tied up in my Opera email that would be very difficult to move over.

If you're on FastMail, they're not going away - they just were divested back to an independent company from Opera. I've been using them for years, since before Opera bought them, and they've been pretty solid. You should be fine to stick with them for as long as you like.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

To go back to Opera itself:

Try the Konami code on the settings page in the new developer version. (Well, minus start and select - since those are not on your keyboard.)

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Here's a link to the new blog post. Also has a new Task Manager under Developer tools (which you have to enable under More tools in the Opera menu). Here's a screenshot:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Oh great, reimplementing things Chrome had for ages.

Reith
Jul 23, 2007

Riso posted:

Oh great, reimplementing things Chrome had for ages.

Which brings me to the question I've been wondering for months: why on earth would they expect anyone to use Opera if they keep going at this rate?

It's a more unstable version of Chrome with less features than ever.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Computer viking posted:

To go back to Opera itself:

Try the Konami code on the settings page in the new developer version. (Well, minus start and select - since those are not on your keyboard.)

Wow, what amazing bullshit. I can understand wanting to make it non-trivial to get access to things that might break the browser, but the same can be achieved with a non-invisible button that has a massive warning and a timer, without making people wonder whether they got the code right. Additionally those settings also include stuff like "hide search box on speed dial", but they aren't even honest about that being hidden for cashflow reasons.

As for the rebuilding of Chrome things: They claimed quite loudly when Chromera was first released that they wrote a native gui toolkit. Maybe they're spending a lot of time porting Chrome parts to their new toolkit.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

My favourite Linux Opera 12 bug: If you have a popup from email (e.g. message from email server) open at the same time as a dialog box (e.g. file attachment), you cannot close either dialog and are forced to restart the browser.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Neat. Also you can't browse to /tmp unless you delete the two sockets it creates first, and plugins stop working after either 24.9 or 49.7 days due to some counter overflowing. Still can't overcome my inertia to switch to chrome or firefox though. :smith:

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Mithaldu posted:

Wow, what amazing bullshit. I can understand wanting to make it non-trivial to get access to things that might break the browser, but the same can be achieved with a non-invisible button that has a massive warning and a timer, without making people wonder whether they got the code right. Additionally those settings also include stuff like "hide search box on speed dial", but they aren't even honest about that being hidden for cashflow reasons.

As for the rebuilding of Chrome things: They claimed quite loudly when Chromera was first released that they wrote a native gui toolkit. Maybe they're spending a lot of time porting Chrome parts to their new toolkit.

They'll be adding more things to it, at about one item per released developer build. As for "breaking the browser", it's apparently mostly for things they don't want to be locked into keeping support for, as opposed to the "normal" settings that everyone would notice if disappeared. If you want to compare it to something, it's like the developer menu in android (go to "about this phone", tap the build number field a bunch of times. Do the same to the version number for an easter egg.)

As for the google field, of course it's hidden for cashflow reasons. At a guess, it's a compromise to let the power users that really care get rid of it without making it too obviously removable for everyone else, done in a way that won't make the PR/economy/business relations - teams too unhappy. I got the impression that the other settings coming will be less ... mercenary.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 6, 2013