Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Toss a sonic batarang underneath a gargoyle and wait. You'll have to do it 3 times I think.

Wait a little longer before punching again and you should get the crit, the timing is still pretty loose honestly. Later on you get a time slow after a certain point in your combos that makes it even easier.

It's been two years since I last played City, but I can't seem to get it consistently (which is weird, since it seemed so easy last time around). Maybe I'm doing it too early? It has to SAY "critical hit" right? It's not signified by stars or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Solomonic posted:

I beat the game, have finished all but one of the Most Wanted cases (the final one) and all the character profiles except the one in the top right are unlocked. That one locked profile is driving me crazy, I have to find it. :psyduck:

I never really knew how much I wanted Deathstroke: The Game before that cutscene. Plus whoever else comes along for the ride. Hell, put Harley Quinn in it, it's not like she's doing anything important post-Arkham City.

So, in series canon, we have Deathstroke, Deadshot, Bronze Tiger and Rick Flag as members. I dunno if Harley would be, but if she was, it'd be great, but those 4 would be decent enough.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

dataisplural posted:

I'm interested in Origins (LOVED AA and AC) but statements like this worry me. From what I've heard the game is very solid mechanistically, i.e. combat/movement -- so what's missing, exactly? Is it a design type thing? For example AA had some Metroidvania-esque touches in terms of backtracking and exploration that made its levels click in a satisfying, almost unconscious way.

I guess I'm asking if there's some sort of "special sauce" missing from Origins that WB couldn't quite add? Otherwise I'm a little confused about the complaints that've been leveled at the game so far.

Yeah, I wouldn't say the game is that mechanically solid. The combat is definitely a step down from Arkham City, probably about on par with Asylum. Simple things like animation canceling for counters just isn't here, which is really disruptive to a game so reliant on them. The fake counter indicators in the Lady Shiva fight were like "oh ho ho! see, we can be creative too!"...except that it was didn't really add any challenge - it was just lame. Not to say AC didn't have its weak points (aerial takedowns triggering when you meant to dodge losing your combo was frustrating), but it was a hell of a lot better than Origins.

I'm going to have to replay AC to be sure, but WB Montreal hosed with the freeflow balance a little too much, maybe in an effort to feel sufficiently different from what AA/AC were. But nobody really asked for that, and this game has so much lifted wholesale from AC that it feels like a wasted effort anyway. Overall it's just a really obvious cashgrab, with a few moments to make it worth playing (Deathstroke, etc.).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darke GBF posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't say the game is that mechanically solid. The combat is definitely a step down from Arkham City, probably about on par with Asylum. Simple things like animation canceling for counters just isn't here, which is really disruptive to a game so reliant on them.

People keep saying this but I'm positive they're misremembering, doing something wrong, or there is a bug in the PC version, because I've had absolutely no problem with counters. I can record a video even if people want.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Darke GBF posted:

But nobody really asked for that, and this game has so much lifted wholesale from AC that it feels like a wasted effort anyway.

Repeating this over and over again doesn't make it true. They changed stuff, they kept stuff, it's a sequel. It's certainly more interesting than anything that changes in CoD sequels and it's not any more derivative than say, the God of War sequels, which everyone seemed to lap up eagerly. And despite a number of technical issues, it's got by far the best story and to me is clearly the best Arkham game yet. I can understand a lot of criticism, but for people who wanted something more 'different' what exactly were you looking for? A text adventure? An indie platformer?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Oh my god the data pack on the Soder Cola building.

I CAN SEE IT BUT HOW THE gently caress DO I GET UP THERE

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

nickmeister posted:

It's been two years since I last played City, but I can't seem to get it consistently (which is weird, since it seemed so easy last time around). Maybe I'm doing it too early? It has to SAY "critical hit" right? It's not signified by stars or whatever?

The yellow numbers means you can use a special combo takedown, I admittedly am not sure on what the stars are for. It definitely says critical underneath the numbers every time you land one though. The easiest way to tell if it's working is that each hit adds 2 to your combo instead of 1.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dj Meow Mix posted:

The yellow numbers means you can use a special combo takedown, I admittedly am not sure on what the stars are for. It definitely says critical underneath the numbers every time you land one though. The easiest way to tell if it's working is that each hit adds 2 to your combo instead of 1.

The stars tell you how many takedowns you have stored. You can get a second one via upgrade.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

ImpAtom posted:

The stars tell you how many takedowns you have stored. You can get a second one via upgrade.

That explains why I didn't really notice that until near the end of the game. Thanks!

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
Am I crazy, or are there nearly no stun baton goons? I swear I haven't seen one yet, and I'm far enough into the main story that there are snipers and gun-toting goons everywhere.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

more friedman units posted:

Am I crazy, or are there nearly no stun baton goons? I swear I haven't seen one yet, and I'm far enough into the main story that there are snipers and gun-toting goons everywhere.

They're saved mostly for NG+ it seems to me. They're really rare in the original campaign.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
I like this game, I really do, but the Dark Knight progression/unlock system tied to completing challenges could have used a little more thought. Unless I'm mistaken, there aren't that many actual predator challenges and they are all tied to the story, so there are limited opportunities to actually complete the predator tree. Combined with challenges like completing predator encounters with no detective vision (and without being seen), performing four exotic or loud takedowns in one encounter, or getting something like seven different types of takedown in a single encounter, it really sucks a lot of the enjoyment out of the actual story progression. I feel like I have to approach every predator challenge in the specific way that the game wants me to or I won't have enough opportunities to round out the tree. I have no idea why they would make it impossible to complete the challenges in challenge rooms, and it sounds like the predator rooms don't repopulate like they did in Arkham City, so the predator Dark Knight track is just a pain in the rear end.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

more friedman units posted:

They only pop up really close to the end of the main story.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

THE CHORSE posted:

I like this game, I really do, but the Dark Knight progression/unlock system tied to completing challenges could have used a little more thought. Unless I'm mistaken, there aren't that many actual predator challenges and they are all tied to the story, so there are limited opportunities to actually complete the predator tree. Combined with challenges like completing predator encounters with no detective vision (and without being seen), performing four exotic or loud takedowns in one encounter, or getting something like seven different types of takedown in a single encounter, it really sucks a lot of the enjoyment out of the actual story progression. I feel like I have to approach every predator challenge in the specific way that the game wants me to or I won't have enough opportunities to round out the tree. I have no idea why they would make it impossible to complete the challenges in challenge rooms, and it sounds like the predator rooms don't repopulate like they did in Arkham City, so the predator Dark Knight track is just a pain in the rear end.

Yeah, I have no idea why they don't count predator challenges for the Dark Knight stuff, especially since the challenge mode gives XP now. It's such a weird oversight.

ImpAtom posted:

They're saved mostly for NG+ it seems to me. They're really rare in the original campaign.

Thank god. I hated those guys in City. The martial artists are a really fun addition, though, as are the Venom Users.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

THE CHORSE posted:

The lovely thing about the four exotic takedowns challenge is that it's not even possible in all predator encounters. So uhh, good luck with that, hope you remember to do it before the post game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrNutt posted:

The lovely thing about the four exotic takedowns challenge is that it's not even possible in all predator encounters. So uhh, good luck with that, hope you remember to do it before the post game.

The biggest problem is the Hanging Ledge takedown which can only be used in extremely few areas in extreme specific situations. If they'd used any other kind of takedown that challenge would be trivial.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone know how much the Knightfall DLC is on PS3?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Anyone know how much the Knightfall DLC is on PS3?

Free.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

ImpAtom posted:

The biggest problem is the Hanging Ledge takedown which can only be used in extremely few areas in extreme specific situations. If they'd used any other kind of takedown that challenge would be trivial.

Also, the fact that they require a vent takedown from behind a vent, and not a grate takedown from the floor grates that are all over every predator room, is pretty rough. How often are there predator rooms where you can get into the vents and the enemies actually patrol close enough to them to make that takedown actually viable? In Asylum and City I only remember performing vent takedowns when ducts led directly to predator rooms and there was a stationary enemy planted right in front of the vents - as close to a scripted scenario as I can think of.

And that's what, level 4 or 5, worth 5000xp? And then level 11 is to take down an enemy with a sonic shock batarang, which anybody could do with his eyes closed, and it's worth 15000xp.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

THE CHORSE posted:

I had a thought about what would have made the challenge progressions better. Instead of having it so you can only complete them in order, make it so the skills unlock as you complete a certain number of the challenges. I know I've done the beatdown interrupt to counter challenge a bunch of times, but since I haven't done the previous challenges it's incomplete.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

THE CHORSE posted:

Also, the fact that they require a vent takedown from behind a vent, and not a grate takedown from the floor grates that are all over every predator room, is pretty rough. How often are there predator rooms where you can get into the vents and the enemies actually patrol close enough to them to make that takedown actually viable?

They actually included a lot of two-entrance vents in this game I noticed, and the Sonic Batarang lets you get the enemy into position for the Vent takedown. Honestly, most of those seem to expect you to use the Sonic Batarang to get them into position (which is why I suspect you get it after you unlock the Sonic Batarang), but being able to do all of them in one go really requires a very specific room. It'd be better if you just had to do all of them at any time instead of one go.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

No it's the explosive takedown due to it requiring a weak wall and not plywood. The only place I can think of where the challenge could easily be done is the GCPD bullpen. Everything else is quite possible at the bank and church among others.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Awesome! Thanks.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I'm pretty sure critical counters are bugged. I've waited until the last second to counter and it still doesn't do anything.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

VogeGandire posted:

Oh my god the data pack on the Soder Cola building.

I CAN SEE IT BUT HOW THE gently caress DO I GET UP THERE

The gargoyles on the other side of the rooftop - quick-zip up to the closest one (don't light on it) to launch off of it, do a quick 180 towards the Soder-Cola sign, divebomb for about 1-2 seconds, then yank back...hard. You need to divebomb to catch the air to gain altitude to make the glide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkuYxfBECPc

Skip to ~2:25 for a demo on how to do it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Meeting my first Martial Artist was hilarious, because they did this big thing with the thugs saying,"Well thankfully we have a really dangerous guy to protect us now!" and when I jumped into the fray, my first punch on the martial artist glitched him and he flew like 30 feet into the air before crashing to the ground :laugh:

I'd like to think those same thugs went,"Oh fucccccccccck."

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

Red Mundus posted:

I'm pretty sure critical counters are bugged. I've waited until the last second to counter and it still doesn't do anything.

Yeah, I can't get the timing on critical counters at all. Sometimes I land a critical counter, sometimes I don't, so I don't really go out of my way to try for them. It's just a nice bonus that sometimes I get two points added to my combo instead of one, I guess. Also, I just can't get the timing for knife dodging/knife takedowns, when I had no problem with them in Asylum or City.

edit:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The gargoyles on the other side of the rooftop - quick-zip up to the closest one (don't light on it) to launch off of it, do a quick 180 towards the Soder-Cola sign, divebomb for about 1-2 seconds, then yank back...hard. You need to divebomb to catch the air to gain altitude to make the glide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkuYxfBECPc

Skip to ~2:25 for a demo on how to do it.

Holy poo poo, seriously? I just used my grapnel gun to pull myself straight up to the roof, and then I kind of wondered why it was a challenge at all. This makes a lot more sense. Maybe the game was trying to make up for the Burnley Tower vent by giving me a freebie.

THE CHORSE fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 28, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

THE CHORSE posted:

Also, I just can't get the timing for knife dodging/knife takedowns, when I had no problem with them in Asylum or City.

I don't know if it is because I'm using a gamepad now for Origins, but I always struggled to get knife dodges/takedowns right in City (using KB/M) but now with the gamepad in Origins I feel like I have a ton of leeway to dodge and then hit the takedown.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Red Mundus posted:

It's not really consistent, I've noticed sometimes it will work properly and sometimes I hit the counter button as soon as the indicators appear above a thug's head and I'll get a critical counter. I guess another thing to note is that critical counters won't appear until Batman is actually in Freeform Combat mode, so you can't get a Critical Counter just by standing around and waiting for a guy to attack you.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Also, one of the data packs in Diamond District requires the fully-upgraded Disruptor. You need to disrupt 3 jammers, which you can't do until it's fully upgraded. So now I need to grind up FIVE levels. :fuckoff:

Edit: OH YOU CLEVER loving GAME. You can ALSO unlock it using the cryptograhpic sequencer if you've upgraded it's range, by standing far enough away from the jammers.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 28, 2013

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

VogeGandire posted:

Also, one of the data packs in Diamond District requires the fully-upgraded Disruptor. You need to disrupt 3 jammers, which you can't do until it's fully upgraded. So now I need to grind up FIVE levels. :fuckoff:

Edit: OH YOU CLEVER loving GAME. You can ALSO unlock it using the cryptograhpic sequencer if you've upgraded it's range, by standing far enough away from the jammers.

Or you can just do what I did and wait a minute or two for the Disruptor to recharge, the jammers don't come back online if you don't disable them all at once.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
Was 40% in.

Well gently caress. :(

I exited out to the main menu and went into multiplayer, when the multiplayer menu popped up it mentioned a corrupt save, sure enough when I go back to singleplayer I get this. Man.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

How the hell does the saving in this game work? I went through and finished off the relays in the Coventry district, got like 8 of the blackmail files, 2 Penguin crates and then went to a Crime in Progress that I ended up dying to. When I respawned, all of the stuff I had just taken the last 20 minutes to do is no longer completed. What the hell!?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

This game has more bugs than actual Early Access titles. After two gamebreakers I can't really recommend anyone to pick up this game right now.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Oh boy this fight with Deadshot is getting annoying. Take out his first wave of goons then beat him down three times and immediately hide, because another wave of goons has appeared with zero warning! Take out this wave and beat him down once and immediately hide, because he'll phase through your cape stun to take a hostage! Now you get to fight a jammer wave and if you make any noise ever for any reason the hostage dies and you lose! I guess that leaves only the silent takedown, since literally everything else that you do results in a dead hostage. :rolleyes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wazzit posted:

Was 40% in.

Well gently caress. :(

I exited out to the main menu and went into multiplayer, when the multiplayer menu popped up it mentioned a corrupt save, sure enough when I go back to singleplayer I get this. Man.

Oh poo poo, I better start backing up my save game. Same thing happened to me with Arkham City and I lost an 80+% completed game. :ohdear:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Oh poo poo, I better start backing up my save game. Same thing happened to me with Arkham City and I lost an 80+% completed game. :ohdear:

With Arkham City it was due to GFWL/Steamworks competing with each other. This one seems to be console specific, as the only people who've had it in this thread are all on the consoles. If you are playing the PC version, it's Steamworks, so it should be fine.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

ImpAtom posted:

People keep saying this but I'm positive they're misremembering, doing something wrong, or there is a bug in the PC version, because I've had absolutely no problem with counters. I can record a video even if people want.

I'm on PS3 and the timing is definitely different. You can't cancel out of attacks as easily into counters in this game. Maybe it's because Batman's slower, I dunno. But I'm almost always able to cancel into a counter if I'm just punching a dude in City and I get hit like half the time in Origins.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spite posted:

I'm on PS3 and the timing is definitely different. You can't cancel out of attacks as easily into counters in this game. Maybe it's because Batman's slower, I dunno. But I'm almost always able to cancel into a counter if I'm just punching a dude in City and I get hit like half the time in Origins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In9VIB3jwM4

I'm on PS3 and I'm not having any problems at all.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
Was reading up on it and it seems a lot of people are getting their saves corrupted at the same point. Make sure you make a backup copy before you get to the Steel Mill. Or make a backup save around 30%.

• Locked thread